Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Illmo
http://car-sound-systems.com/article...fer-enclosure/

Do the research???I could do this all day.
You're too dumb to argue with. I bet you think your L7 sounds good too. How many IB setups have you owned? Where do you find this pure BS on the internet? Your new article says a sealed box always has better SQ than ported and it has a "bass reinforcement tube". Wrong again. It says IB has sloppy low end bass, wrong again. It sounds like some kid wrote that as a Junior high science project. I've owned all of the above. Try posting experience instead of cheezy articles. For the last time, go register over at DIYMA, post the exact same thing you posted here and bend over because it's going to hurt.

Last edited by I hate cars; 05-26-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
lol

this is coming from a guy with an l7 in a sealed box
Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 AM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
lol

Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
I can tell you, from experience, that my favorite thing about IB so far is where the sub is located and not so much the fact that it is IB. Rattles are low, sound is not wasted and space is small. I could not care about wattage - that is easy to overcome. However, I have not used a real IB driver. I have on one the way to try out, which I have heard and thought sounded phenomenal.

There is lots of dumb shit on the net about car audio. Unless you try stuff out, then you have no idea, really. I have heard "miracle this," and "best-ever that" ending up to be a bunch of BS for me... even though I am sure that it worked quite well for them.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
lol

get em, LOL!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You're too dumb to argue with. I bet you think your L7 sounds good too. How many IB setups have you owned? Where do you find this pure BS on the internet? Your new article says a sealed box always has better SQ than ported and it has a "bass reinforcement tube". Wrong again. It says IB has sloppy low end bass, wrong again. It sounds like some kid wrote that as a Junior high science project. I've owned all of the above. Try posting experience instead of cheezy articles. For the last time, go register over at DIYMA, post the exact same thing you posted here and bend over because it's going to hurt.
Its clear that you and your legion of misguided followers are hellbent on dealing with fiction, not fact.I've been to DIYMA on many occasions, and just like any other forum, its full of people with various opinions about this and that. In my experience, I have never run an IB setup because I've seen and heard PLENTY, and they all sounded terrible(TERRIBLE), as described by many individuals and articles found pretty everywhere. This is a subforum that is accessed by many who don't know which way to go in the world of car audio, so when you post that "IB" is a sound solution for a SQ setup, it leads people in the WRONG direction. Your free to do as you like, but stick with the facts.Don't be that guy who thinks his honda civic can smoke a Ferrari, because HE THINKS his civic is really fast...Lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Team Owner

I have never run an IB setup

Don't be that guy who thinks his honda civic can smoke a Ferrari, because HE THINKS his civic is really fast...Lol.
Bold says it all. Go away with your internet based opinion and your L7 in a sealed box.

What you don't realize is you're THAT guy with the Civic.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Its clear that you and your legion of misguided followers are hellbent on dealing with fiction, not fact.I've been to DIYMA on many occasions, and just like any other forum, its full of people with various opinions about this and that. In my experience, I have never run an IB setup because I've seen and heard PLENTY, and they all sounded terrible(TERRIBLE), as described by many individuals and articles found pretty everywhere. This is a subforum that is accessed by many who don't know which way to go in the world of car audio, so when you post that "IB" is a sound solution for a SQ setup, it leads people in the WRONG direction. Your free to do as you like, but stick with the facts.Don't be that guy who thinks his honda civic can smoke a Ferrari, because HE THINKS his civic is really fast...Lol.
His 10 second GN will suffice noob. You're a misguided uneducated troll. IHC had similar perceptions about the IB setup, but being a true car audiophile and gearhead, he tried it out and shared his findings. Something you are only capable of doing behind a keyboard. Why don't you go find another thread to troll in and stop wasting space here.

Last edited by Majofo; 05-26-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
His 10 second GN will suffice noob. You're a misguided uneducated troll. IHC had the similar perceptions about the IB setup, but being a true audiophile and gearhead, he tried it out and shared his findings. Why don't you go find another thread to troll in and stop wasting space here.

again!

I'm still laughing about him talking so much shit but owning a L7
Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Bold says it all. Go away with your internet based opinion and your L7 in a sealed box.

What you don't realize is you're THAT guy with the Civic.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

His 10 second GN will suffice noob. You're a misguided uneducated troll. IHC had similar perceptions about the IB setup, but being a true car audiophile and gearhead, he tried it out and shared his findings. Something you are only capable of doing behind a keyboard. Why don't you go find another thread to troll in and stop wasting space here.
GN,Lol....I'll enjoy my 67 impala(among other cars that I own) thanks...I guess all those years of DB drags and IASCA comps don't matter...Fine by me.As far as being the guy with the civic?Far from it, but I'm definitely wasting my pearls on swines apparently. Anyone who would side with someone who claims that their 15" woofer has the "punch" of a 10", is a fool, plain and simple.Enjoy,I wont respond anymore, you can continue misguiding the poor UNEDUCATED people of this forum.AND ANYONE who thinks that an L7 is something to laugh at, clearly doesn't have a clue about car audio. Call me a noob because my post count is low, call me a troll, because you don't know me.It makes no difference. At the end of the day, I'm still right...IB setups are SUB PAR!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Anyone who would side with someone who claims that their 15" woofer has the "punch" of a 10", is a fool, plain and simple.
ahahahahahha

Subwoofer size doesn't determine frequency response, enclosure does noob.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

GN,Lol....I'll enjoy my 67 impala(among other cars that I own) thanks...I guess all those years of DB drags and IASCA comps don't matter...Fine by me.As far as being the guy with the civic?Far from it, but I'm definitely wasting my pearls on swines apparently. Anyone who would side with someone who claims that their 15" woofer has the "punch" of a 10", is a fool, plain and simple.Enjoy,I wont respond anymore, you can continue misguiding the poor UNEDUCATED people of this forum.AND ANYONE who thinks that an L7 is something to laugh at, clearly doesn't have a clue about car audio. Call me a noob because my post count is low, call me a troll, because you don't know me.It makes no difference. At the end of the day, I'm still right...IB setups are SUB PAR!

GN all day!

IHC is pretty damn knowledgeable and has his shit together to back it up...

this thread is funny!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
...so who has a picture of their trunk?

...and my olds will only run a 11.5X, so I am slow next to Ferraris, Civics, Impalas and GNs.

Here is one of my trunks. Other car is very similar. Amp is mounted on a angle iron bracket that I welded up to fit behind the stock carpet - it has one bolt on the deck lid and 1 on the back of the wheel well fender thingy. The ugly grill keeps life from happening to the sub - a necessary evil (the grill, not life). Trunk space #1 here:
Name:  IMG_1222.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  65.8 KB
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM

I'd remove that 10lb weight before it does some damage.

IB setups are SUPER!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Team Owner

looks good!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

'67 Impala is a nice car no doubt but let's not talk about speed.

Back to car audio.... As Eggy said, woofer size does not determine speed or punch. The enclosure does. You can have an 8" sub that plays as deep as a 15" (but not as loud) and you can have a 15 that's as tight as an 8". I suggest you stop arguing this point and educate yourself as this is not debatable, it's proven and well known.

Sealed boxes having better SQ than properly ported boxes is a myth too. You really have a lot to learn.

A 15" sub is usually tuned to play lower since it's capable of moving the necessary amount of air to get decent SPL at low frequencies. That does not mean it can't hit as hard as an 8 or a 10, it means the typical owner of a 15 tunes it lower because it's more capable in that range. My IB15s are fully capable of going well into the female vocal range. In fact I've seen some in car measurements showing them to be +-2db from 20hz to 150hz with no EQ where the low pass cut them off. These are fully capable of playing to 600hz cleanly. I've heard a lot of systems, mostly SQ systems and I have yet to hear a 10" sealed sub that hits this tight.

Sure, you can use the wrong sub in an IB and make it sound terrible just as you can with a box. I didn't particularly care for the Tempest X in IB form but it was also a home theater sub and never designed to play above 60hz so I can't blame the fact that it's IB for it's performance.

This has gotten so off track due to your insane blanket statements. IB is not for everyone and I'm sure there are instances where a traditional sealed or ported box sounds better. I would be ignorant to say otherwise. However, to say that IB is inefficient, a 15" sub can't have a tight sound, and IB is sloppy is something I would expect to hear from a 15yr old just getting into car audio. Experience this setup for yourself and then you can talk.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
People, people............re-read the title of this thread.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jptl04
People, people............re-read the title of this thread.
You're right. My fault for taking the bait.

Back on topic, I'll have pictures of my IB15s mounted and functional in the trunk tomorrow. What a fun build.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Team Owner

Back on topic.... My two Acoustic Elegance IB15s. I have to get the pictures off of my cell since I remembered the camera but forgot the card. I have a completed picture of the inside of the car but only the reassembly from the trunk side. I've made it now to where you can't tell there's a system in there when you pop the trunk. I only lost 7" of trunk space with two 15" subs in there. This is by far the best sounding setup I've ever owned or heard. It goes into the subsonic range easily yet has a tightness and pop that most associate with a 10" sub. They're crossed at 85hz right no but I might take them up to 100hz soon. This is truly the best of all worlds. They play all types of music very well. Super detailed, the ultimate SQ setup. Extremely efficient, weigh 17lbs, and you retain 90% of your trunk space.

This is during the reassembly stage, everything is much cleaner now and the subs are hidden completely. You can see that very little trunk space is taken up.

The following users liked this post:
Majofo (06-06-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM

That's insane. Good work!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Team Owner

That's insane. Good work!
Thanks. I know it's ugly but that's why it's now hidden behind some acoustically transparent cloth. I was thinking about putting the cloth back up over the pass-through in the rear seats so you can't see the subs, what do you think? I have it off for now so I can keep an eye on excursion and get an idea of where I need to back off on the volume knob. So far my ears give up before the subs do.

As for listening, my brother-in-law is a very smart "tech" guy. Half the stuff we talk about I nod my head and google later on. He's exactly what you would picture of a German engineer. One thing he asked was if the two 15" subs could "keep up" on the quick hard hitting punk rock and trance that he likes. I let him plug his phone into the system and play whatever he wanted. The smile on his face was worth it all. They were hitting the double bass kicks while going nearly subsonic while hitting snares. I've driven the car more in the last couple days, running errands that the GF usually runs just to listen to these things.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Matt, why did you ditch the miracle box? I'm itching to upgrade my setup (aesthetics) but I don't know what I want to do yet.

Last edited by Trew; 06-04-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added pic of trunk
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trew
Matt, why did you ditch the miracle box? I'm itching to upgrade my setup (aesthetics) but I don't know what I want to do yet.

Good to see you on here again!

Space. Loved the sound and the lack of rattles, I never would have changed it if it weren't for the lack of trunk space.

Now I have 90% of the trunk available. With the current setup, it will play well to 150hz but where it has an advantage over the miracle box is the low end. It will play 17hz effortlessly and it's still very musical.

I would never talk bad about the miracle box, that thing was awesome but this new setup is better in every way except for the lack of rattles, it just takes a lot more fabrication.

I did a single W6 infinite baffle for a month or two and it sounded amazing in that configuration. Unfortunately I had already sold one of them and the single one did not have enough output so I went with the dual 15s.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Damn Trew.. haven't seen you around in a while. Keep us updated if you change your setup. I know not everyone liked the modular design but it'll be easy to sell in that configuration.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the welcome back, guys. I have no issues with the way my low end sounds. I don't have rattle issues either. I'm just tired of looking at this setup

I have no idea what to do, but I'm thinking I'm gonna do something with it this summer. As for selling this enclosure, I'm sure I could get rid of it pretty easily.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
havn't seen that name around in a while. Welcome back, sir.

You gotta ditch those caps lol
Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
I want to go IB with my w6's so bad now. Expect PM's soon IHC...as soon as I get back from Colorado. Hell, I don't even have my car! It's in Amarillo getting a new transmission. FAIL
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
10th Gear

Here's two vids of my trunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3K2GY7Ba9s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADDumIY8IP8
Old 07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
10th Gear

I am actually trying to get rid of the sub and box. Anyone interested, msg me.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
revived - my ported 8w3v2 which plays surprisingly low and loud! Might get Alpine's type-r 8" in there for even more slam?

Name:  CIMG0366.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  102.1 KB
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
^ Interesting placement! You dont have navi I guess? First time I saw a sub placement on the right side as opposed to the left. Looks good though
Old 12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Diamond D3 subs ROCK and are NOT expensive. I Love JL subs, but like others have said--they are too popular. And SO MANY people rate a sub by how many WATTS they handle. More important is EFFICIENCY !!! My Diamond subs DO NOT NEED 1000 watts to crank. I am almost done with a sealed 2 cubic foot box for 2-Diamond D3 12 inch subs, I am putting double the Acousta-Stuff insulation in the enclosure, which FOOLS the subs into acting like a bigger sealed box. And I do know it will be -3db over a ported box. I prefer sealed boxes as long as I have enough power. I have a Hifonics apm that puts out 1200 watts clean at 2 ohms. My Diamond 12" subs are rated to handle 400watts rms. So my amp WILL NOT clip before the subs hit max power. Its always better to have more power clean then the speaker can handle. If the amp clips/distorts before the sub hits its peak output, they will blow !!! Just suggestions boys and girls
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

man i haven't been on here in a while haha. since my last post in this thread, I ran a ported box for a while - loved the output, but again hated the fact that I lost so much trunk space. Been seeing all these corner boxes recently so I decided to go ahead and give it a try myself -

Name:  IMG_1629.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  74.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1630.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  73.5 KB

Wires are exposed in the second picture because I pulled out my 360 processor to check something out
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
^ I love the setup man, love the way the amps look!

I had a simple sub ported box in the back before; a JL 12W6 with a 250.1 JL Amp:

But needed the trunk space - im a college student and also DJ on the weekends. So I bought this:

Where did I put my amp? Well... It kept sliding around. And I need to buy a new wiring kit if I want to mount it somewhere else, this one is too short. So for a solution... I took some scissors and an xacto knife... and well, did this for my custom amp enclosure

Snug, secure, and stealth. The cheap man's amp enclosure. Had id for about 2 months, haven't had a problem with ventilation, over heating, etc. Its a decently secure spot, no?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

^thanks!

that's a pretty effective way of hiding the amp! I would have been worried about ventilation issues - but seems like you made sure it's properly cooling - definitely an efficient use of space
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Diamond D3 subs ROCK and are NOT expensive. I Love JL subs, but like others have said--they are too popular. And SO MANY people rate a sub by how many WATTS they handle. More important is EFFICIENCY !!! My Diamond subs DO NOT NEED 1000 watts to crank. I am almost done with a sealed 2 cubic foot box for 2-Diamond D3 12 inch subs, I am putting double the Acousta-Stuff insulation in the enclosure, which FOOLS the subs into acting like a bigger sealed box. And I do know it will be -3db over a ported box. I prefer sealed boxes as long as I have enough power. I have a Hifonics apm that puts out 1200 watts clean at 2 ohms. My Diamond 12" subs are rated to handle 400watts rms. So my amp WILL NOT clip before the subs hit max power. Its always better to have more power clean then the speaker can handle. If the amp clips/distorts before the sub hits its peak output, they will blow !!! Just suggestions boys and girls

You are right, there are so many guys out here that I have to shut up because they think there non brand name subs that are 1500 Watts are so powerful, and then I ask whats the RMS, and they say what is that. . My subs go there 1500 watts. I tell them they are wrong and they go on and on...

I've seen those Diamonds at a buddies shop. But I'm still going for my 1 10' Polk DXI, I wish I could get an 8" since I'm not really into Audio like that anymore.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flipster23
You are right, there are so many guys out here that I have to shut up because they think there non brand name subs that are 1500 Watts are so powerful, and then I ask whats the RMS, and they say what is that. . My subs go there 1500 watts. I tell them they are wrong and they go on and on...

I've seen those Diamonds at a buddies shop. But I'm still going for my 1 10' Polk DXI, I wish I could get an 8" since I'm not really into Audio like that anymore.
Be glad you're doing the 10. Cone area rules, the more the better. More cone area is better in every way a sub can be better. Higher efficiency, flatter response, less distortion, more linear. Whether you're going for SPL or SQ, you should go with the most area you can fit. In the TL, a pair of 15s seems to be the practical limit without taking up the whole trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Cmull (11-07-2013)
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM

I'm still amazed over your setup IHC.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Anyone know if we can fit a single 15" in our trunk?? With a box that is. My current box is 14" tall, but most 15" boxes are right around 16". It looks like it'll fit...but I dunno. Might just got with a single 15 or 12 sealed as I don't need $600 worth of sub for SQ lol

Quick Reply: Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)