Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.55 Navi Hack

Originally Posted by cKHyper
any progress on the "ok nag" for 4.55 disk
I have been following Angry Dads changes to the Navi system and must say he knows what he is doing and obviously has the tools to make the changes. As he notes Acura went to some trouble to prevent people like us from getting at the code - including inserting a header to lead people to believe it was written for one CPU when it was actually written for another. The other problem is not so much in tracing it out - reverse engineering - but after the program makes its call it jumps elsewhere and it's the 'elsewhere' that is the problem. I don't know if I am allowed to post a link here but if you go to vistabug dot com, you can read about Angry Dad's efforts.

There is another issue that I haven't seen anyone bring up in this thread. When I started having functionality problems with my Navi unit I wrote a couple of letters to Acura and was told they thought the unit was functioning as it should. The letters I wrote included specific examples of how inept the GPS system is. Still no luck with Acura. I have several good friends that work at a couple of Acura dealerships and when I asked them if they could intervene on my behalf they said they had been trying to get Acura to change the GPS systsem for 3 years, you read that right - 3 years and Acura refused - even at a dealer level Acura is non-responsive. I asked my contacts if they would ask other Acura dealers if they had received complaints from their customers. I was told they heard nothing but complaints but it seems that none of these customers did anything about it. I was told the most effective way to resolve this was a massive letter writing campaign. We may have better luck if we at least try to convince Acura we, as owners are not happy at all. So, if you are in Canada, here is the address and contact information. Tell them exactly what you don't like and pass this on to any Acura owner you know who has an Acura GPS in their car. BTW - I am still working on the OK button hack. If you don't know what to say in your letter, I would be more than happy to give you a link to the ones I wrote and you can extract what fits for you.

I guess you can tell by the length of this run-on post, I am not very happy.

Acura Canada Customer Relations:
Mr. Ray Chong, Manager,
Customer Relations
Honda Canada Customer Relations
715 Milner Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
M1B 2K8
888-922-8729
Old 12-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have the new 2008 disk for the 2006 & older TL and honda? Just wondering if it can still do these mods.

They are on sale right now for $145 or something like that until feb. So thats a good deal when they normally get ya for $185.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
The WDP Noob

that sucks......ohh man..
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Anyone have the new 2008 disk for the 2006 & older TL and honda? Just wondering if it can still do these mods.

They are on sale right now for $145 or something like that until feb. So thats a good deal when they normally get ya for $185.

I have the 2006 TL, and just got the 3.70 update disc - and it does not work with angrydad's ok button removal

I get a message saying the CRC check failed. I am guessing that the new NAVI.exe is too different from the 3.6 and 3.5 versions... by the way, I was able to patch the 3.5 and 3.6 versions in the past, without any problem. Any ideas? Angrydad, are you out there?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gibbyscott
I have the 2006 TL, and just got the 3.70 update disc - and it does not work with angrydad's ok button removal

I get a message saying the CRC check failed. I am guessing that the new NAVI.exe is too different from the 3.6 and 3.5 versions... by the way, I was able to patch the 3.5 and 3.6 versions in the past, without any problem. Any ideas? Angrydad, are you out there?

Ok, I realized that I forgot to use the 3.5 version of the BNHH401A.BIN file to patch the navi. Once I did this, it patched then I merged the navi.exe back into the 3.7 version of the BNHH401A.BIN and it merged without error. Once I updated the car with the new files, the system comes up with no OK button, but now the map is blank with no roads... I zoomed all the way out, and the map of the US is all screwed up Well, back to the drawing board.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced

I have purchased a 2004 TL and the nav dvd is an orange disc, can I use newer TL discs in there as in (copy them) and use the burned copies so I can have updates maps/places?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Finally!!! Got my Trip Computer to work for my 3.30f (orange disc to work)!!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thedeadmanx
I have purchased a 2004 TL and the nav dvd is an orange disc, can I use newer TL discs in there as in (copy them) and use the burned copies so I can have updates maps/places?

many have tried burning the navi disc with no luck. if you find a solution.. let us know!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Hey gang. Just picked up a new 2008 TL w/navi
Has anyone attempted the hacks yet on the new discs?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, my 3.70 upgrade is on order (my wife got it for me for Christmas, but she needed my help to order it, so I found out early )

Has anyone had any success with the OK button removal on the 3.70 disc yet?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:29 PM
9th Gear

OK, got the trip computer to work, added a replacement image and got rid of the nag screen...

Lost the calculator and calendar.

Reread the posts and I can't find any reference to this happening.

Recompiled with the accord .bin, got the trip computer, etc. etc.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 PM
2K8 CBP TL-S 6MT

Originally Posted by wgambella
Hey gang. Just picked up a new 2008 TL w/navi
Has anyone attempted the hacks yet on the new discs?
all we got is the load up image
Old 12-23-2007, 10:35 PM
WEAKSAUCE !!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 4.62 Navi Disk Bay Area Help?

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH SETTING UP OK REMOVAL AND BACKGROUND PICTURES AS WELL AS TRIP OPTION 2007 TL-S NAVI DISK 4.62 WHITE DISK PLEASE PM IF POSSIBLE I AM LOST AS WELL ANYONE IN THE BAY AREA THAT CAN HELP? POSSIBLE MEET UP IDK....
Old 12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Bay Area - 2007 TL-S Navi Hack

There are a few people working on the 2007 OK button issue. But, it hasn't been done -- yet. I don't know of anyone working on the 2008.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I hope someone is working on the OK button for 2008, this thing drives me nutz! =]
The following users liked this post:
kingba45 (07-12-2011)
Old 12-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Smile Anyone Local

I am in Suwanee GA, anybody nearby with any success on the hack?
Food and drink are always a good way to start a new friendship.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Binx57
There are a few people working on the 2007 OK button issue. But, it hasn't been done -- yet. I don't know of anyone working on the 2008.
I thought the 07 and 08 OK button issue is same. No?

Hope someone comes up with this soon too!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

TL 07 & 08 OK Button

Originally Posted by sybaek3
I thought the 07 and 08 OK button issue is same. No?

Hope someone comes up with this soon too!
A number of us thought the 07 USA TL- was the same as the 07 CDA TL for purposes of altering the splash screen. That turned out to be incorrect. At this point I am digging around in the Bins trying to get Navi.exe and HDMIManager.exe out of them. Again that is proving an interesting task since a Binary search - using a Hex editor, doesn't return any files named Navi or HDMI.exe although I can find HDMI.dll. After searching in all the files I am starting to think Acura might have changed the name of Navi to something else. Looking . . . Looking . . . Looking
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Lenny

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gibbyscott

I am deciding whether or not to get the 3.70 upgrade for my 05 TL (from 3.40c). The 'OK Button Removal' was the most helpful fix, and I don't want to lose this just to get some extra roads and DST fix. Has anyone had success fixing this for the 3.70 disc? Please.....
Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Acura Newbie

Just picked up an '08 TL-S 6MT. Too bad they force the NAV on us Type-S folks. I've only been playing with it for about 30 minutes, but I can already see its inferior to the $99 Mio C220 I picked up for my wife last month.

I've also got the White 4.62 disc, so if someone out there needs some help with files, I'm pretty handy with command line and hex.

BTW - is 4.62 the latest?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

Latest Disk Version

Originally Posted by blipszyc
Just picked up an '08 TL-S 6MT. Too bad they force the NAV on us Type-S folks. I've only been playing with it for about 30 minutes, but I can already see its inferior to the $99 Mio C220 I picked up for my wife last month. I've also got the White 4.62 disc, so if someone out there needs some help with files, I'm pretty handy with command line and hex. BTW - is 4.62 the latest?
There is a fall version of 4.62 but only dealers can order it and only for the 08 cars.
Feel free to kick in any help you can for those of use working on the 07 & 08 Navi OK button hack - we think it will have to be done twice-once for the US version and once for the Canadian version of the TL - files are different.
BTW-you are correct about your $99 GPS being superior to your TL-S GPS. If you are wondering why that is, it could possibly be related to the fact that Alpine seems to have a hard time differentiating Alberta from British Columbia. This is a partial list of the updates to the 4.62 version from Alpines web site: (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

ALBERTA
Squamish-Lillooet
Squamish
Whistler
Old 12-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Question Help needed.........

You guys will be forever in my debt if you can assist.
I have the 2008 TL with Navi and the 4.62 disc.
I am hoping to hack the welcome screen, and the OK nag.
Fairly comfortable with windows but not DOS or CMD prompt.
So many differing posts with differing versions I didnt want to chance it.

I know I will need to copy several files from the nav disc to a new dvd but which ones do I need, what process?

BYSIN's old post seemed fine but does not update to this version of software.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Has NOBODY figured out how to get OK button removal hack to work on the 3.70 orange disc yet?

I just got mine, and I can't go back... the POIs in my area were a joke on the 3.30g disc, and they're actually reasonably accurate on the new one. I have a reverse-camera mod on my '04 TL, and without the OK button hack, my camera display will sometimes shut off when I'm backing out. It's driving me crazy... PLEASE someone with more smarts than me (which isn't hard) figure this out!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by chris80i
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH SETTING UP OK REMOVAL AND BACKGROUND PICTURES AS WELL AS TRIP OPTION 2007 TL-S NAVI DISK 4.62 WHITE DISK PLEASE PM IF POSSIBLE I AM LOST AS WELL ANYONE IN THE BAY AREA THAT CAN HELP? POSSIBLE MEET UP IDK....

Originally Posted by wgambella
You guys will be forever in my debt if you can assist.
I have the 2008 TL with Navi and the 4.62 disc.
I am hoping to hack the welcome screen, and the OK nag.
Fairly comfortable with windows but not DOS or CMD prompt.
So many differing posts with differing versions I didnt want to chance it.

I know I will need to copy several files from the nav disc to a new dvd but which ones do I need, what process?

BYSIN's old post seemed fine but does not update to this version of software.

Thanks.

There is NO HACK for the OK Button or Trip Computer for v4.5x or 4.6x 2007 or 2008.

You can ONLY hack the start up screen for 2007 v4.55/4.56 for SURE; 2008 v4.62 maybe.

I understand COMPLETELY it's a hassle to read and make sense out of all 28 pages, but is it really too much to ask to read the last 3 or 4 or 5 pages to figure this out?

For 2007 v4.55/4.56 and 2008 v4.62 (might work) check Post #'s 250, 437 & 475 - Start Up Screen Hack ONLY
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Acura Newbie

There is a fall version of 4.62 but only dealers can order it and only for the 08 cars.
Feel free to kick in any help you can for those of use working on the 07 & 08 Navi OK button hack - we think it will have to be done twice-once for the US version and once for the Canadian version of the TL - files are different.
Binx57 - I can't PM you yet, but there is a LAUNCHER.EXE inside the 08Touch.bin file. I'm not a HEX expert, but perhaps the "OK" piece is located in there. I also see a HMIManager.dll so perhaps the Trip Computer and Climate Control are possible.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

OK Button Hack - patience please

I know several of you are frustrated by the OK button and the splash screen hack and I know it is a lot of effort to read all of the posts. You need to understand that if you have the Canadian 07 TL version, I posted a step by step method for changing your splash screen - most of that information was found on these forums. The first page of posts has the Canadian mods listed in big blue letters. You need bysin and then follow the directions - step by step. You will need to change 3 files. If you have the US version the process is well documented.

As for the OK button hack - others posters have said it - the is NO OK button hack for the 07 or 08 TL. If you have followed along with many of the posts here you will know that the code is dynamic - in others words it makes calls to other areas of the program (jumps) and trying to find these jumps isn't easy. It is very time consuming! Also Acura made the code look like it was written for one type of processor when it was in fact written for a totally different one - they don't want us to hack this software!

The people I have helping out are back from a short vacation and we are going to continue to look at the code again around the 20th of Jan.

Just so everyone knows - even if the OK button is hacked - as soon as you update your Navi disk to a new version you will have to start ALL OVER again. The code changes for each version of the Navi disk.

While I am working to hack the OK button, I am a lot more interested in dumping the Alpine GPS system entirely for a Garmin GVN53. The interface to do this is in final development and testing and during the testing the engineers realized the video output quality could be improved significantly by switching over to Digital chips. Once this is complete I will be testing the interface. If things work as they are supposed to you will be able to use all of the voice functions and just replace the GPS portion with the Garmin unit. This is a lot better option than hacking a flawed system to make it somewhat less annoying.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 AM
The Golden One

And I will be trying to figure out a way to copy the 07 and 08 Navi Disc period. Have yet to get the disc from my friend, so I'll keep you posted when I do.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 AM
The Golden One

Oops...I meant to say 04-06 disc.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Cruisin'

I know several of you are frustrated by the OK button and the splash screen hack and I know it is a lot of effort to read all of the posts. You need to understand that if you have the Canadian 07 TL version, I posted a step by step method for changing your splash screen -
totally agree posts need to be helpful, not "When will I have it?".

What would be helpful would be some of the technical specs of the currently modified disc, and what is known about the currently unmodifed disc. Can any of these questions be answered? Anyone working on this should be able to provide some info.

1) what type of processor is it really for?
2) Where are the jumps on the known disc, and what do they go to? What types of things are hidden here that made it difficult?
3) Does anyone have a assembly dump they can share?
4) step-by step what I need to load the BIN into a disassembler..
5) how do I extract the BIN to view?

I know assembly from 8088 80x86 older series, given enough info I might be able to assist in some way.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Acura Newbie

Originally Posted by cocokola
2) Where are the jumps on the known disc, and what do they go to? What types of things are hidden here that made it difficult?
4) step-by step what I need to load the BIN into a disassembler..

I know assembly from 8088 80x86 older series, given enough info I might be able to assist in some way.
Ok, here's my best stab at some of this:

1. ARM or SH4, not sure. AngryDad, who did the 3.x hack thinks the headers say ARM to throw off reverse engineers.
2. In 3.x, the NAVI.EXE file was modified. So far, no one can find the 4.x NAVI.EXE or equivalent.
3. No, but you might be able to get one with the info from 4, 5.
4. I think you could use any PE explorer or HEX reader.
5. There are a couple utils, CEBin and Bysin, on the front page that will help. The disc has two BIN files where we think stuff might be hiding. 08Touch.bin and 08Touch2.bin. One is around 5 MB, the other around 27 MB. When extracted, 08Touch.bin has about 21 MB of exes, dlls and bmps.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cocokola
Anyone working on this should be able to provide some info.

A) The Navi hardware is based on the Hitachi SH-4 processor - as per Angry Dad
A)Anyone who has successfully done this isn't talking. I am not one of them, but have 'friends' who are willing to help-after Jan 20th.
A)I don't have an assembler dump - but thus far it seems that the US version uses Navi and HDMManager whereas the CDA version seems to be using Launcher. I have been unable to find Navi.exe in any of the CDA bins files using the search function of a Hex editor nor have I found HDMManager.exe
4) step-by step what I need to load the BIN into a disassembler.
A) I don't know
A) I used bysin but it has physical limits built into it that prevent it from looking in all of the Bins - I am only able to look into 07Touch2.bin and 07Job2.bin - I cannot extract files from 07Touch or 07Job.bin

Sorry that isn't much to go on but it is a start.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 AM
aTL

am i retarded?????....I cant seem to find the hack for the 2008 .....4.62.....please help the short bus rider!! I wanna watch dvds as well...also a little ipod/iphone interface would be nice...no more 3.5 cable...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Acura Newbie

Originally Posted by TL newbie
am i retarded?????....I cant seem to find the hack for the 2008 .....4.62.....please help the short bus rider!! I wanna watch dvds as well...also a little ipod/iphone interface would be nice...no more 3.5 cable...
Not retarded, but perhaps illiterate. I understand 20+ pages is hard to read, but if you had gone back 1 or 2 pages, you'd see that 4.x has not been hacked yet. Also, the search feature is your friend.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Disconnect GPS DVD

I tried to get into the back of the Navigation DVD drive in my 07 TL-S - too cold in the garage to stay out long enough to remove all that liner.

Here are my questions:
1. Has anyone disconnected the Navigation DVD totally and continued to use the car?
2. Will the voice commands still work if the DVD is disconnected?
3. Besides not having GPS navigation, did anything else stop working?

I am looking at different GPS options but I need to know what, if anything stops working if I totally disconnect the DVD unit in the trunk.
TIA
Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

has anyone figured out the 3.70 ok bypass yet? i got my disc in today and tried the ok button patch, but it just locked up my nav system, and i had to pull power to reset it.

thanks

Matt
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM
4th Gear

Angry

*sigh* I need some hand holding. I have the white disc 4.55 disc version, would some kind soul be willing to send me an exact step-by-step of how to mod the opening picture? Don't need any help with the picture formatting, as I think I have all that, just the actual file pulling and modding.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Acura Newbie

Originally Posted by devilboy95
*sigh* I need some hand holding. I have the white disc 4.55 disc version, would some kind soul be willing to send me an exact step-by-step of how to mod the opening picture? Don't need any help with the picture formatting, as I think I have all that, just the actual file pulling and modding.
It's all right here in post #437
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by knightrider2000
has anyone figured out the 3.70 ok bypass yet? i got my disc in today and tried the ok button patch, but it just locked up my nav system, and i had to pull power to reset it.

thanks

Matt

I do not think so... It is all up to AngryDad... I am guessing that the Daylight savings time fix, changed the location of the 'ok button' code, so that the patch no longer patches the correct place - corrupting the code and cause the nav to lock up.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

I know several of you are frustrated by the OK button and the splash screen hack and I know it is a lot of effort to read all of the posts. You need to understand that if you have the Canadian 07 TL version, I posted a step by step method for changing your splash screen - most of that information was found on these forums. The first page of posts has the Canadian mods listed in big blue letters. You need bysin and then follow the directions - step by step. You will need to change 3 files. If you have the US version the process is well documented.

As for the OK button hack - others posters have said it - the is NO OK button hack for the 07 or 08 TL. If you have followed along with many of the posts here you will know that the code is dynamic - in others words it makes calls to other areas of the program (jumps) and trying to find these jumps isn't easy. It is very time consuming! Also Acura made the code look like it was written for one type of processor when it was in fact written for a totally different one - they don't want us to hack this software!

The people I have helping out are back from a short vacation and we are going to continue to look at the code again around the 20th of Jan.

Just so everyone knows - even if the OK button is hacked - as soon as you update your Navi disk to a new version you will have to start ALL OVER again. The code changes for each version of the Navi disk.

While I am working to hack the OK button, I am a lot more interested in dumping the Alpine GPS system entirely for a Garmin GVN53. The interface to do this is in final development and testing and during the testing the engineers realized the video output quality could be improved significantly by switching over to Digital chips. Once this is complete I will be testing the interface. If things work as they are supposed to you will be able to use all of the voice functions and just replace the GPS portion with the Garmin unit. This is a lot better option than hacking a flawed system to make it somewhat less annoying.

WAIT A MINUTE!!! I may be slow but you just said something FASCINATING to me!!! You mean to tell me with this Garmin GVN53 box I can get rid of just the Nav part, keep everything else factory and use that for navigation and existing setup for speech recognition!! I agree with you!!! This is a WAY better fix! I was looking at getting a Carputer because I just HATE the Nav for the TL. I used to have a Garmin C550 before in my previous car which was stolen (now I got the TL) . The Garmin IS VERY FAR SUPERIOR. And you're saying that the NavTraffic will just integrate right into it huh? Is there more information besides the Garmin site on this? I'm excited about better maps, graphics, POI and even the ability to not just display traffic but route me around it. I'd love to hear more!!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

Garmin GVN 53

Originally Posted by ajbiggie
WAIT A MINUTE!!! I may be slow but you just said something FASCINATING to me!!! You mean to tell me with this Garmin GVN53 box I can get rid of just the Nav part, keep everything else factory and use that for navigation and existing setup for speech recognition!! . . .
Some members on this board have been successful implementing iPOD and video - (see TV and to Go or something like that title). Following along those lines I contacted several interface manufacturers in the US. Some were positive they could help but in the end it was more an iPOD integration than anything else but one firm has been working silently away at this and I have heard from and kept in touch with them over the last several months. (It doesn't hurt that this fellow has an Alpine unit in his new car and actual first hand experience comparing it to a regular Garmin unit - the Alpine failed miserably). They were about to release the interface when one of the engineers realized they could dramatically improve the video quality by changing out the analogue chips for digital chips which means they have to redo some things. At this point they think it will do the job - that is replace the video and audio on the 07 TL-S while keeping the other functions working. BUT - there's always one isn't there . . . until I or he tries it out we won't know for sure - since this has never been done. I have my fingers crossed and a few other parts as well, but I am not giving up hope.

I have a request for anyone reading this - if you have disconnected your GPS in the trunk and then drove the car - with it disconnected what if any feature(s) did you lose? One of the Acura service guys I know thinks it might be possible to disable the one in the trunk and keep the other functions. If that is the case we might be able to replace the trunk unit with a lot less hassle.

I also have a friend in the US is is looking for some open source code - the idea here is to dump the O/S, replace it with an entirely news O/S and use a Garmin GPS. All of this is still speculation but the fellow in the US is looking for open source this weekend. - (wish I knew more about doing this but it's new to me).

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal