Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First...
Adobeman... once again, you did another great DVD-A write up and program!!!
I've learned so much with your information and help. THANKS!!!!
You've been such a great and valuable member!!!

Second...
The Dougler... I couldn't burn with Nero (had a problem not being able to choose my DVD drive as the Destination drive). With DVD Decrypter had no problem whatsoever!!! THANKS!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just knocked out 4X99 song DVD's & 1X5.1 DVD with 5.1 music tracks ripped from a music video.

No Skips after 10 hours playing over a few days.

Had very bad luck originally going from MP-3's to Adobeman's program & using Nero 7 to burn the disks. All the DVD's I made this way skipped.

Then I used CDex to convert the MP-3's to WAV files. I ran the WAV's on Adobeman's program to create the DVD-A iso files. Once I had the ISO files I used the Deep Burner ISO option to create the DVD. I used 4X burn speed.

Nothing special about the burner or the disks. The burner is a white box NEC 3550A & the disks are 100 pieces on a spindle for $30 from Sams club.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:52 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
...Had very bad luck originally going from MP-3's to Adobeman's program...
Sad but true. I was trying to "give the people what they want" with the built in mp3 converting but the only converter I could find that was free and would integrate well with the program is very fussy about mp3s. Just about any error in the mp3 will cause it to not convert the file.
...Then I used CDex to convert the MP-3's to WAV files
Isn't that a great program? I love it. I'm also getting to like AudioGrabber. Since I got my iPod (and the miserable iTunes for Windows with it's crappy mp3 encoder) I've been using AudioGrabber with LAME (extreme preset) and find it much faster than CDEx. I havn't tried Apple's lossless compression since it is so closed in it's portabulity to other devices. I can't say if AudioGrabber would be skip-free on DVD-A since, believe it or not, I don't make that many DVD-A discs any more. Gasp ! I actually use my iPod in the car. mp3s through the iPod directly connected (BlitzSafe) sound better than mp3-->wav-->DVD-A. Plus, even though it isn't the best sound, the portability and amount of songs is hard to argue. I only burn DVD-A now when I want to play around. (eg. Adobinizer, cool soundtracks/sounds from movies or test discs...The THX cows are a riot in the car.)

To all the others, I've been keeping an eye on the thread even though I haven't been posting much. Many of you are helping each other out and I really appreciate that and all the positive comments.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Sad but true. I was trying to "give the people what they want" with the built in mp3 converting but the only converter I could find that
I hear you. We create & develope freeware aircraft to the users of some of the MS flight sims & found if you can't please the people all the time you best please yourself.

http://www.avhistory.org/

I have to thank you for all the work you put into your program as it giving a lot of people like myself a lot of enjoyment they would not have without it.

You mentioned your i-Pod, how did you choose to interface it with the cars system?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

I can't begin to imagine the complexities of what you do for the simulation of those A/C. I bow....

You mentioned your i-Pod, how did you choose to interface it with the cars system?
Not very wisely...
I went with the BlitzSafe at the time since it had XM retention. After a Firmware update, that helped a lot, I still have issues with it. But it does work reliably enough...even though it pauses a long time between selection of AM/FM, XM and other sources and causes the HU to spit out all 6 disks instead of the one I want.

Seems like I should have waited for the newer USA Spec. It seems to have it all without any of my mentioned problems.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Fookes

Bear-AvHistory

How and where did you get the 5.1? Did you use the same process to copy, convert and burn the DVD?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 AM
Suzuka Master

First thing is you need a music video DVD that is done with 5.1 sound, not all of them are.

I think there are some programs around that will create 5.1's from 2 channel but have not tried them yet.

I used a program called DVD Audio Extractor from

http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor

to get the tracks out of the video onto the hard drive so I could work with them.

Once I had them out I selected the ones that I wanted & ran them through a program called DVD Audio Solo

http://www.cirlinca.com/welcome.htm

set for 6 channel to create & burn the DVD-A 5.1 disk. Besure you set it to 6 channel as default is 2 channel.

You need to take the same care as you do for the 2 channel as the player is real finicky.

Note: Because the 5.1 files are way bigger then the 2 channel ones you will get a lot fewer songs on a disk. I just tested one music video with 28 songs on it which fit & really don't remember how much space was left on the DVD.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
What am I doing wrong? I have tried downloading and installing the program on 3 occassions and i keep getting the same error message during the install........ that one of the cab files is corrupt? I retry it several times but cannot get around it?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

tried 2 fresh downloads and same result?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Suzuka Master

tried a few more and finally got it to install! now to try to rip a disc!
Old 11-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, no luck, after loading all my wav files into group one and clicking on "make dvda" I get the error message that "dvda structure creation did not work" I am at a dead end
Old 11-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
John, make sure you meet these:
The system requirements are
  • Windows 2000 or Windows XP
  • Microsoft .Net Framework V1.1 or greater. If you have XP and have been keeping up with Windows Update then you have this. Windows 2000 users will also most likely have it.
  • Plenty of hard disc space. You will need 2 to 3 times the size of the DVDA you intend to make. About 2X if you are using all wav file and about 3x if you are using all mp3 files. So for a 4.32 GB (full) DVD single layer disc made from all mp3s you could need up to about 13 GB free space.
  • A computer with 2 separate hard disk drives is recommended. This way you can spread the disk requirements across 2 disks as well as greatly increase performance. Check out the “Options” section for how to set this.
Sorry I can't be more help. I use Ulead Burn.Now.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by pohljm
Well, no luck, after loading all my wav files into group one and clicking on "make dvda" I get the error message that "dvda structure creation did not work" I am at a dead end
Maybe, maybe not.
I just had to rebuild my laptop (XP Pro SP2)so I downloaded my code from my site and installed it. It installed and made a DVD-A without problems. So the corrupt cab file messages you got can not be verified. They are cause for some suspicion however. There are some other ways to debug the program using the file "C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\debug.script"

If you are familiar with programming at all you can change that file to a .bat extension and run it at a command prompt.

Provided that you installed the program in "C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\" which is default:
  • Try to use the program
  • Get the error you get
  • Find the debug.script and rename debug.bat
  • get a command window (window with a c: prompt)
  • enter "C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\debug.bat" and hit return
  • Take note of any errors.

You will probably see them around something that looks like the output below. Let me know how it goes if you try it.
Code:
C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI>"C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\code\
mkisofs.exe" -o "C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\IMAGES\untitled.iso" -sort
 "C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\code\sort.txt" -udf DVD
 20.31% done, estimate finish Sat Nov  4 07:45:42 2006
 40.63% done, estimate finish Sat Nov  4 07:45:42 2006
 60.89% done, estimate finish Sat Nov  4 07:45:43 2006
 81.21% done, estimate finish Sat Nov  4 07:45:44 2006
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 4248
Path table size(bytes): 42
Max brk space used 3000
24647 extents written (48 MB)
Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Pro

re

what can you do when you get this error msg : The sample frequency is exceeded and this mp3 cannot be validated:

Is there a way to reduce its HZ

thanks for helping, i aint very good with this stuff
Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by italian_spak
what can you do when you get this error msg : The sample frequency is exceeded and this mp3 cannot be validated:

Is there a way to reduce its HZ

thanks for helping, i aint very good with this stuff
Best bet is to use CDEx to convert that file to a 44.1K wav file.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by datmrman
John, make sure you meet these:

Sorry I can't be more help. I use Ulead Burn.Now.
Chris, meet all of those requirements, but no luck. I have used audio sixpac successfully , but the trial version only allows you to put 2 cd's on 1 disc. I tried Ulead Burn Now which seems to be a fully functional trial and I burned 6 cd's to the DVD-A quickly without a problem, but the TL just spit it out???
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

tried a slower burn speed and it still spit it out? the same DVD-R media worked using audio sixpack, so I dont know why it would not using Ulead Burn.Now.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Pro

re

After converting this mp3 to wav , the attributes in cdex show 2ch,44.100k/16bit, when the other songs that were already in wav have attribute like 226KVBR, Joint stereo Mpeg1-L3

did i do something wrong or its only normal for them to get this attibute after converting?

thanks
Old 11-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Pro

re

nevermind its all good
Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Well I ran the debug program and then I tried it again and ...............it worked!
I do not know why, because the debug did not seem to find anything critical unless it corrected it on ots own? I was then able to burn the iso image and it is playing in the TL.
Thanks for this great program, I may not renew my XM subscription now since I have the potential for having upwards of 36 cd's loaded playing random tracks. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:59 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by pohljm
Well I ran the debug program and then I tried it again and ...............it worked!
I do not know why, because the debug did not seem to find anything critical unless it corrected it on ots own? I was then able to burn the iso image and it is playing in the TL.
Thanks for this great program, I may not renew my XM subscription now since I have the potential for having upwards of 36 cd's loaded playing random tracks. Thanks again.
Glad it is working. The debug is really just a way to run the exact commands the GUI runs for you. It doesn't fix anything on its own. So I guess we can chalk it up to sun spots, Sputnik or the ghost of Elvis....
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Pardon my ignorance here, but I've been thinking of trying this audio "upgrade" myself for some time. My question is... are we actually "upgrading" the sound quality of a song? Say, from 16bit to 42bit?

Also, how does this DVD-A process take 2 channels from an mp3 or CD, and then decide which channels are routed to the rear, sub, center, front channels giving you that 5.1 DVD-A sound? For example, how do I take the piano from a song and route that to the left rear speaker?

Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not really an "upgrade" just merely taking advantage of the DVD-A capability of the ELS. For me, just having a disc with up to 99 songs was also an alternative to IPOD integration. Although a number of folks have attested it does sound better.

This GUI is strictly 2 Channel DVD-A format. If you want 5.1, the process is entirely different. The following is from post #205
First thing is you need a music video DVD that is done with 5.1 sound, not all of them are.

I think there are some programs around that will create 5.1's from 2 channel but have not tried them yet.

I used a program called DVD Audio Extractor from

http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor

to get the tracks out of the video onto the hard drive so I could work with them.

Once I had them out I selected the ones that I wanted & ran them through a program called DVD Audio Solo

http://www.cirlinca.com/welcome.htm

set for 6 channel to create & burn the DVD-A 5.1 disk. Besure you set it to 6 channel as default is 2 channel.

You need to take the same care as you do for the 2 channel as the player is real finicky.

Note: Because the 5.1 files are way bigger then the 2 channel ones you will get a lot fewer songs on a disk. I just tested one music video with 28 songs on it which fit & really don't remember how much space was left on the DVD.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bootlegged
Also, how does this DVD-A process take 2 channels from an mp3 or CD, and then decide which channels are routed to the rear, sub, center, front channels giving you that 5.1 DVD-A sound? For example, how do I take the piano from a song and route that to the left rear speaker?
It doesn't, what you get is a 2 channel DVD-A disk, which sounds very good on the TL's system. If you want 5.1 you need a 5.1 source & run the programs I listed above.

If you only have 2 channel sources run this program

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135210

also by Adobeman which will synthesize a 5.1 sound from the 2 channel files in one of two styles Club & Large room.

This program also works very well, this guy is very good at doing this stuff.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

DVD-A Track Info

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but does anyone know how to get the track title and artist info to display on the display? I have been using both Ulead Burn.Now and Adobeman's DVDA GUI (Adobeman's creates no skip DVDAs).

Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gcannonfodder
Sorry if this is a repeated question, but does anyone know how to get the track title and artist info to display on the display? I have been using both Ulead Burn.Now and Adobeman's DVDA GUI (Adobeman's creates no skip DVDAs).

Thanks!!
Unfortunately, No........
Old 11-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Unfortunately, No........
With the standard CD/DVD-A player (not the 07 version which does MP3s etc), regular CDs and DVD-As don't seem to show artist and track info. So I don't think it would show that info even with a disk produced with the software described in this thread -- I think it's a limitation of the player, not the disks. (I hope I'm wrong on this!)
Old 11-18-2006, 09:01 AM
3rd Gear

I will double check but I believe the Professional DVDA that comes with the 06 Acura does display the track info on the screen. The player supports it but I cant find any software that will create it.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

How do I use CDex to convert Mp3 to WAV because some of the tracks that I use Adobe's program to convert were skiped. Also I used Nero to burn the iso file. Could it be the problem?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tonyx614
How do I use CDex to convert Mp3 to WAV because some of the tracks that I use Adobe's program to convert were skiped. Also I used Nero to burn the iso file. Could it be the problem?
Look at your tool bar headings, select "Convert", select "Convert Compressed Audio File". A window will come up asking you select whatever files you need to convert.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
3rd Gear

Unhappy

I stand corrected, I put the professional DVD in that came with the TL and it does not have track info.

Sorry about that.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:58 PM
The Darker the berry....

Adobeman - you are the man... I had to use CDex to convert my MP3's (which was much easier than I thought), but other than that, the process was as easy as could be. You just made my main regret for not getting the 07 go away - who needs an MP3 player?!?!?

Thanx again.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by gcannonfodder
I stand corrected, I put the professional DVD in that came with the TL and it does not have track info.

Sorry about that.
Didn't think it would work. I don't believe "CD Text" is part of the DVD-A spec. Looks like the designers assumed we'd be listening and watching on our home dvd players.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 AM
8th Gear

Thanks Adobeman, I've was getting ready to either A) get a blitzsafe with a Alpine CD/mp3 changer, like I installed in my MDX or B) try to see if the 07 HU would work in my 06 TL but at 1500 dollars I balked at the price. You saved me tons of cash.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I just tried this last night and MAD PROPS to Adobeman. it works like a charm. my only problem was that my burning software didnt burn the ISO file properly.

i used the one below...

Originally Posted by The Dougler
try using DVD Decrypter to burn the iso image. I've haven't tried burning Adobemans .iso in nero but usinig DvD Decryptor works for sure, and it's a free program.
GET IT HERE
and big thanks to The Dougler. after i installed the program and ran it, it worked great!

Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 PM
4th Gear

Thanks

First of all, I would like to thank you for your software and suggestions regarding DVD-A conversion. You are amazing!!

Unfortunately, I have tried different tools to burn the .ISO to DVD but none works. I have used Cdex to convert mp3 to WAV and then used your GUI to create an image and then burned this using NERO, ROXIO and DVD Decrypter, none of them work. The sad part is after burning the image onto DVD, it wouldnt play at least on my PC as well. When I insert the DVD into the TL, it reads and says "DISC DISC" and then ejects the DVD. I am not able to understand where I am going wrong. I am using nextech DVD+R DVDs to burn. My DVD burner is brand new (Mad Dog). I have spent a lot of time doing this with no success. Can anyone please help me to get success in making DVD-A.

Once again, thank you very much Adobeman and everyone for their support. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Try a different media (DVD-R), there's a greater success using -R media than +R. I have Roxio and Nero loaded on 'puter and found the easiest app to burn discs is Deepburner which was recommended when the script was introduced. Simple to use, small footprint, no conflict with other apps and best of all, it's FREE !
Old 11-26-2006, 02:08 PM
4th Gear

Hi Hawhyen51, You made my day!! I did bring DVD-R Philips Discs and burned the image using DeepBurner as you said..... I went and played this disc in the TL and it rocks!! This really worked. I am so amazed with the sound quality.....I am so excited that it worked...and cannot express how I feel at this minute!! Thanks once again everybody!!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Hold the SCAN and RPT button down till you hear the beep.
Is there a voice command to do the same for NAVI owners?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mlody
Is there a voice command to do the same for NAVI owners?
I think these are most of the voice commands and I didn't see one for changing groups.

CD Voice Commands
The system accepts these commands on a map/guidance screen. A/C screen, and audio screens.
CD play
CD play disc # (#: 1-6)
CD play track # (#: 1-30)
CD play disc #A track #B (A: 1-6 B: 1-30)
CD skip forward
CD skip back
CD play next disc
CD play previous disc
CD track random
CD track repeat
CD disc repeat
CD normal play

DVD Voice Commands
The system accepts these commands on a map/guidance screen. A/C screen, and audio screens.
DVD play
DVD play disc # (#: 1-6)
DVD play track # (#: 1-30)
DVD play disc #A track #B (A: 1-6 B: 1-30)
DVD skip forward
DVD skip back
DVD play next disc
DVD play previous disc
DVD track random
DVD track repeat
DVD disc repeat
DVD normal play

Quick Reply: Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"