Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Old 04-20-2008, 05:42 PM
'04 NBP TL AT/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IlovemyAcura
ummmm so i dl'd the program then i did a test with one song so what do i do now lol
add 98 more songs to group one then click "Make DVD" then burn the ISO it creates and stores in the program directory with your favorite burnig program, you should have an option to "Burn Image" or "Burn ISO"
Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

yeah i use roxio and i cannot find the files that are converted
Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 AM
3.2 VTEC

^^^you have to go to the core itself, where the file is stored to find it from there.

it should be in C:\Program Files\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\Images, you'll find it there and if you ar using vista you have to press the "Competability Files" tab for them to show up...noone knows why, it's a Bill Gaytes thing
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned

where is the comp files tab located?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
3.2 VTEC

right on top, you'll see it if you look for it
Old 04-25-2008, 09:22 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I just looked at the Roxio 10 info and it says "Music DVD", not "DVD Audio" so I'm 99% sure this is the same old music on DVD-V format we've seen so often on consumer targeted s/w. It makes sense since:

99% of people will want to play the music on their DVD-V home theater players
99% probably don't even have a DVD-Audio compatible player.
99% have no idea there are two formats. (DVD-A and DVD-V)
I hope ur right! I would rather just use the program I have. I ended up getting this so I could burn stuff dl'ed from my tivo...Takes up a ton of space on my hd.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Racer

[*]If you run into problems with the GUI decoding mp3 then I really recommend you get CDEx. It even decoded the bad mp3s although there were, as to be expected, skips in the wav files. In fact, even if you don't run into problems I still recommend you get CDEx.[/list]
First many thanks Adobeman. I have been thinking about using your scripts or GUI for a long time but, just been too lazy. I ended up using the GUI last night. Made my first DVD-A. Had some issues but, think the above answers it.

Long ago I some how ripped Disturbed's Believe DVD-A to mp3 (or maybe wave and then converted it to mp3). Or maybe it has the CD version on the flip side. Been a while so I can not remember.

Anyway I used 4 or 5 groups by artist. First group was 3 albums by disturbed the others were just straight CDs to MP3 rips. Most of the songs I have listened to in the first group play for 14 seconds or so and then the counter goes up but, no music. If I rewind or fast forward it plays some more then does it again. Other groups seem ok. Is this what you mean by a skip? If so I will have to better source files for this one album. Any tips on ripping a store bought DVD-A to wav suitable for using by your program?

Again many thanks.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Racer

I also downloaded 96K sampled WAVE files from Nine Inch Nails site. They are allowing you to download their new album in 4 or 5 formats for free. I tried your program on these wave files but, it would not convert them.

Would I be better off just downloading the CD version. Or can I use CDEx to convert them to 44.1K wave files?

Thanks again.

Incase anyone wants the NIN album for free just goto www.nin.com
Old 05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by jcondon
I also downloaded 96K sampled WAVE files from Nine Inch Nails site. They are allowing you to download their new album in 4 or 5 formats for free. I tried your program on these wave files but, it would not convert them.

Would I be better off just downloading the CD version. Or can I use CDEx to convert them to 44.1K wave files?

Thanks again.

Incase anyone wants the NIN album for free just goto www.nin.com
I'm going to grab it myself and give it a listen.

For the 96k files you will need to use something like Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo. That's what I'm going to try. You might want to get the fully functional trial to try it yourself. Otherwise get the CD quality ones and either use my GUI or just burn a regular old CD.

You can use CDEX to down convert what you have but it may be easier just to het the 44.1 k files from NIN directly
Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Racer

I think I remember (Sort of anyway) how I ripped that DVD-A. I used some other program to rip it to one giant wave. Then used Wave Cool Pro edit or something to split it up. I guess something went wrong. I will have to get a better copy of the files elsewhere.

So skipping could also mean dead air?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Advanced

has any1 had any success with re-writable dvds,whether it be single or dual layer?
if so: which brand , what speed?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Advanced

after 3 coasters with dvd+r, i got it to work. i know getting dvd-r may be the fix but since i got a load of +r n plus i know its possible to use dvd+r, i didn't get more dvds.
i knew my problem was needing to change the bootype of my burner to "dvd-rom". what fooled me was even after flashing my firmware to the most updated(which was suppose to enable my burner to change booktypes). well, it didn't. even though nero had the option to do it. i realized this after i check the burned dvd+r.
then i found out most manufactures purposely disable this on purpose. luckily i found a "modified" version of this firmware n this will fool the burner into letting me change its booktype.
only after re-flashing with this and then manually overriding its locked booktype did it work.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there any program that works to create dvd-a's using a mac?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

Great job,
dvd-a's will hold me off till i have time for a carpc or dice ipod interface.
thank you for your hard work!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Luv my TL

After 4 attempts, finally I got it played on my TL flawless. My compilation on The Cure is awesome. Thanks ADOBEMAN.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by ACURAFANANTIC
has any1 had any success with re-writable dvds,whether it be single or dual layer?
if so: which brand , what speed?
any1?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just burned a Sony DVD+R and it works great! Didn't notice any skipping. I used an LG burner and burned at 8x (burner and disc were both capable of 16x). Also not sure if this helped, but I didn't touch my computer during burning.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Adobeman, thank you very much for your application! I used AEC to convert my mp3s to wavs, then your program to create the iso image. The whole process from mp3s to burned DVD (a full disc worth of audio) took about 30 or 40 minutes...
Old 06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
10th Gear

Another satisfied user for Adobeman's app. I was able to create a DVD-A disc with 100 K-POP songs. Due to unicode-characters in the filename, i had to first convert MP3 files to WAV files using WinAmp's WAV out plugin. After that, I dropped the WAV files into the app in 10 groups.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks Adobeman!!!
I am gonna fill all my CD slots with DVD-A now!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Big Kudos to Adobeman!

I was able to create the ISO file then.. realized my brand new PC didn't have a DVD burner... LOL.. one is on the way.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Excellent program! Another round of Kudos for Adobeman!

...another satisfied user!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
After much dithering, I just gave this a try for the first time. Got the ISO file OK after discovering the "Compatibility Files" thing, and then I clicked the "Burn" button in Vista's version of Windows Explorer. Vista seemed to recognize that there was a DVD-R (Verbatim disc, 8x capable, with the weird-looking movie-reel label side) in the drive. I set it to burn at 4x as a precaution and I told it to make a fully mastered disc, not the type where you can add to it later.

Seemed to burn fine, but when I put it in the TL, it flashed "DISC" for a bit and then said "DISC FORMAT" and promptly ejected the disc. So I took it in the house to my main stereo, where I have a Marantz universal player that can handle DVD-V, DVD-A, CD, and SACD. Put the disc in there and it said "NO PLAY" on the display. Is there some trick that I'm missing? Maybe Vista's "Burn" feature is incompatible? I have the .NET 1.1 framework loaded, and they're definitely DVD-Rs (not +Rs or RWs or RAM or whatever other versions there are now). The files were .MP3 downloads of two concerts and did NOT have DRM, and I used Adobeman's GUI to convert them to .WAV.

Anyone have any advice? This thing seems like a great tool for roadtrips because it reduces the number of discs to be carried in the car, and it's a great way to fit multiple concerts on a single disc. But I have no idea what I may have done wrong since the ISO file showed up fine and there were perhaps 60 tracks spread into two groups (one group for each concert I want to burn; the two concerts came to 3.97 GB, hence why only two on a single disc).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Computer: Sony Vaio, 1.83 GHz Intel Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, internal 226 GB hard drive, external 1 TB Iomega hard drive, external 149 GB Seagate hard drive, DVD burner is a Matsushita DVD-RAM capable drive built into the computer case
DVD-R: Verbatim "DigitalMovie" 8x DVD-R, 4.7 GB
Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Well, never mind my last post. After I posted it, and after moving the laundry to the dryer, I decided to fiddle around some more and I tried burning the .ISO file using Roxio Easy Media Creator instead of Vista's "Burn" button, and that seems to have done the trick! I did not try the disc in the TL yet, but it played fine on the Marantz player downstairs, which recognized it as a DVD-A and successfully played both groups (with the exception of one track in Group 1....for some reason one song suddenly goes to a shrill high-pitched tone after about 7 seconds, but every other track from both groups plays fine; I will try playing the .WAV of that song on my PC to see if it happens on here and, if so, I'll re-convert it and re-burn the disc).

Adobeman, kudos to you and thanks for this. Very outstanding piece of software that ought to save a ton of space in the glovebox on road trips! I was looking at my CD collection and it seems that it's probably feasible to fit, say, all of Boston's albums on a single DVD-A.

edited to add....the .WAV seems fine on the PC, so maybe it was a bad burn. But it's after midnight, so I'll try again this weekend!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:37 AM
9th Gear

I was receive next error on start this application:
An unhandled exception of type 'System.FormatException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Input string was not in a correct format.

How to fix this bug?
.NET 1.1 and 2.0 is installed.
I was check it on 2 computers.
VS 2003 and VS 2005 installed

Last edited by llion; 09-25-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by llion
I was receive next error on start this application:
An unhandled exception of type 'System.FormatException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Input string was not in a correct format.

How to fix this bug?
.NET 1.1 and 2.0 is installed.
I was check it on 2 computers.
VS 2003 and VS 2005 installed
Are you running an English version ? If not it's probably the character set. I didn't think about internationalization when I wrote the app. Just wanted it to work in one language let alone all of them. Sorry.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Adobeman,

I was able to make DVDA a while back, but tonight when I wanted to make some more DVDA, i have this error message....

"DVD Structure creation appears to have stalled."

and now I am not able to create anymore.....
what'd I do wrong??
Old 09-26-2008, 05:49 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by lights
Adobeman,

I was able to make DVDA a while back, but tonight when I wanted to make some more DVDA, i have this error message....

"DVD Structure creation appears to have stalled."

and now I am not able to create anymore.....
what'd I do wrong??
Not sure. Perhaps you accidentally removed some files it needs. Try uninstalling from the add/remove programs and then reinstalling.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Anthracite

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
so is version 1.0 simpler and easier to use than 3.0? Which version should i get and use?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by tweeder82o
so is version 1.0 simpler and easier to use than 3.0? Which version should i get and use?
As far as I know Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo is only a V1.x product. What's the 3.0 you are talking about?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Anthracite

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
As far as I know Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo is only a V1.x product. What's the 3.0 you are talking about?
http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDA/ the 3 versions in there.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I just purchased a new TL and was trying to figure out how to make a DVD that the darn car will accept and searched in Google about DVD A and found this great site.

After hearing all of this, I can't help wondering if it would not be better to just burn MP3 CDs. They stay compressed and won't loose quality while being converted back to WAVs.

Frankly, I am unhappy that my car can only take this problem DVD format instead of me just being able to put all 744 MP3 songs on a single DVD like my computer can easily make.

I want an upgrade to my player's firmware!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by SterlingRonzoni
I just purchased a new TL and was trying to figure out how to make a DVD that the darn car will accept and searched in Google about DVD A and found this great site.

After hearing all of this, I can't help wondering if it would not be better to just burn MP3 CDs. They stay compressed and won't loose quality while being converted back to WAVs.

Frankly, I am unhappy that my car can only take this problem DVD format instead of me just being able to put all 744 MP3 songs on a single DVD like my computer can easily make.

I want an upgrade to my player's firmware!
You aren't going to get much traction in this thread about mp3 woes. This is specifically about CD quality 2 channel music on DVD-A format. You can pack about 6 to 8 full CDs on a single layer DVD. Other threads here deal with mastering multi-channel DVD-A.
  1. When I wrote this no TLs could play mp3 CDs. I think that was added in either 06 or 07.
  2. If you already have mp3s then an mp3 CD (if your car will play) or direct wired Aux In hookup (which you may already have) for an mp3 player is the logical choice. Converting mp3 to DVD-A is like lipstick on a pig. Worrying about quality when un-compressing mp3s is ironic indeed. I help folks convert them but still think it's backwards for sure.
  3. 744 MP3 songs on a single DVD would be unmanageable, even with the NAV screens/folders.
  4. Go buy a well mastered, 6 channel, DVD-A amd play it in the car. You will no longer be unhappy.
  5. Try and rip some concert DD5.1 DVD-V to DVD-A (like with DVD audio extractor and Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo. Search in this forum for details. You will no longer be unhappy.
  6. Play with the Adobinizer (see my sig block links) and burn using Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo. You may like it. Some to, some don't.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 PM
7th Gear

Hi Adobeman,
I recently got a TL and while searching for Audio DVDs i found this forum and your Software.
Great work dude,I appreciate it.

Is there any difference in the quality if we create the DVDs from Cirlinca and your software?

And what company DVDs are good for TL player?
TDK ,Sony or Philips.
I tried Philips DVD+R and it worked fine.But it's costly when compared to TDK DVD+R

I'm planning to buy a pack of those DVDs.I just wanna make sure that they work in my TL Player before i buy.

Thanks,
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by frmvjw
Hi Adobeman,
I recently got a TL and while searching for Audio DVDs i found this forum and your Software.
Great work dude,I appreciate it.

Is there any difference in the quality if we create the DVDs from Cirlinca and your software?

And what company DVDs are good for TL player?
TDK ,Sony or Philips.
I tried Philips DVD+R and it worked fine.But it's costly when compared to TDK DVD+R

I'm planning to buy a pack of those DVDs.I just wanna make sure that they work in my TL Player before i buy.

Thanks,
The sound between Cirlinca and my program should be almost identical for 2channel stuff. Cirlinca can burn multi-channel though which may be a big plus for you (like if you play with the Adobinizer)

I use TDK DVD-R media. Most people have far greater success with -R than with +R so stick with a name brand -R media. I know "name brand" means little since there aren't that many factories that make the disks. I'd stay away from ultra cheap ones unless you really know what your doing with media codes. I've got a 100 stack I'm working through from years back so my info is old.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply,
I'll check those DVDs.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:24 AM
10th Gear

I know you heard it a million times already but just wanted to say THANKS!! This makes me not want to rip out the nav screen and go for a AVIC or something any more!

Haven't burnt my first disc yet, just about to create the image but i'm sure everything will be nice n smoooth... Couple of suggestions for the next build if you get around to it, "Move to Top" and "Move to Bottom" options would be nice to help organize the tracks. Maybe even a "Sort alphabetically" or something? While we're at it, how bout integrating a "Move to group #" option?

haha maybe i'm just getting greedy, just my 2 cents though. Awesome work either way, you're guaranteed a spot in heaven just for making everyone's life so much easier.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
I found this thread today and wanted to pass along my experience.
Dell Latitude D630 2.4Ghz Dual Core 2GB RAM Vista 32
The download was fine, but when I installed, it wanted .NET 1.1. The link to the download provided by the program took me to the download site for .NET 3.5, which I installed and the program still wouldn't install. A quick Google for 1.1 and I had everything up & running.
I added 42 tracks to Group 1 only. A few selections would not go in b/c they were 48k files (mentioned in your documentation). The program converted my selections (total ~2.9GB) and created the ISO normally. I used Nero 8.1.1.0 to burn to a Memorex DVD+R at 8X which took abt 9mins total.
Popped the DVD-A in my car and enjoyed the tunes.
Thank you, Adobeman. You have taken what I once considered a gimmicky add-on (DVD-A) and turned it into an indispensable feature.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
After reading reading and more reading I finally downloaded your program and with a little help from my son (27) we burned out 1st DVD-A with success! Thank you so much. The sound is incredible. I rushed back inside to creat my 2nd flawless disc, this time on my own. Very easy to use, your GUI does it all!! Thanks again
Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

Use Sony DVD-R not Memorex DVD-R

First, I have to say thank you Adobeman for this great software. I am very happy because I finally have been able to burn my own DVDs for my TL. There are some things I learned in the process that I believe will be helpful for anyone trying this for the first time or if you are having difficulties.

After many failed attempts to burn an Audio DVD, I found that the DVD manufacturer is critically important. I ran CDex to obtain the proper WAV files. Then I ran Adobeman's DVDA GUI software to create the iso image. Finally I attempted to burn the iso image using Roxio Creator 2009. This failed.

I tried many other methods to get a usable Audio DVD including slowing down the burn speed, switching to Deepburner instead of Roxio, trying something other than CDex, as well as implementing many suggestions that are included in this thread. Each time the process failed to produce a DVD that would work in my car.

Finally, I decided to try the one last thing recommended in this thread I had not yet tried. I switched from a Memorex DVD-R to a Sony DVD-R. I know that many people have recommended something other than Memorez but since I had already purchased a large pack and doubted that the DVD manufacturer could be the problem, I decided to try everything else first. Finally, I purchased the Sony DVD-R and tried it. I have to tell you I was skeptical that it really could be the manufacturer of the DVD. Well, it was, everything worked fine on the first attempt with the Sony DVD-R. It has also been working on subsequent attempts.

There is no question that the problem was with the Memorex DVD-R. I will never use Memorex media again.

Thanks again for the software and for the tips on this thread. Without them I would never have been able to make the process work. I just wish I would have been less skeptical about the DVD issue.

To summarize, the following is a step by step process that worked for me:

Itunes: Downloaded M4B media
Tunebite: Converted media from MB4 to MP3
CDex: Converted from MP3 to Wav
Adobeman: Converted from Wav to ISO image
Deepburner: Burnded Sony DVD-R (not Memorex) from ISO image with Deepburner's default settings.

Last edited by Desertman; 03-26-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"