Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:26 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
nvm, window vista didnt let me see it cause of incapabilitiy, but it works fine!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just GREAT!

I just registered and this is my first post.... Ever!

I just created a couple more 2-CH track DVD-A disks with ver 1, Awesome tool! I have used, with great success the first version, and now I am looking forward to trying the "Adobinizer" for 5.1 tracks. BTW. I don't recall seeing anywhere if the '07 TL's DVD audio system is compatible with 8.5 Gb DL DVDs. Is it??? Thanks again for the great work!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazycanuck66
Need some hints here. Created a DVD-a with DVD solo and put about 50 songs in the 3 groups. Stereo in the TL only plays Group 1 how do I get into the songs in Group 2 or was this a error in authoring?
Hold the scan and repeat buttons simultaneously till you hear a beep and it will take you into the next group. This has to be done manually for each group otherwise the it will go on to the next disc.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Adobeman is the latest version of your gui 1.0.0.0?? Or is there a newer version?? I used the gui to burn iso but have yet to find any program that will burn the iso file to disk?? Anyone know where to get a free working cracked copy of nero?? I tried deepburn and dvd solo neither worked???
Old 05-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Hey guys. I thought I read something about certain types of DVD+/-R's not working properly. I've created (and use) a DVD-A with the GUI version, but I just tried to make on and when I load it in my TL, it reads "DISC DISC" then switches to TAPE, with me assuming it won't read it. I've done it twice to make sure I'm not crazy and burned at half speed. Only difference is different brand of blank DVD. Any help? I'm using a Memorex DVD+R.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced

You need to use DVD-R's. Or if you want to use DVD+R, you would have to use the bitsetter program for your burner and change the disc to to DVD-ROM.

Gammah

Originally Posted by rahulkumar
Hey guys. I thought I read something about certain types of DVD+/-R's not working properly. I've created (and use) a DVD-A with the GUI version, but I just tried to make on and when I load it in my TL, it reads "DISC DISC" then switches to TAPE, with me assuming it won't read it. I've done it twice to make sure I'm not crazy and burned at half speed. Only difference is different brand of blank DVD. Any help? I'm using a Memorex DVD+R.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 AM
10th Gear

If anyone is interested in doing this same thing in Linux, I wrote some Linux shell scripts loosely based on Adobeman's batch programs. Here's a link to the thread I posted about them:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/%2Anws%2A-rough-oral-sex-vid-%2Anws%2A-136480/#post1736762
Old 05-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gammah
You need to use DVD-R's. Or if you want to use DVD+R, you would have to use the bitsetter program for your burner and change the disc to to DVD-ROM.

Gammah

Thanks a lot gammah. I never knew about the whole book type and bitsetting, but after a little research and a few firmware flashes, I got it to work! Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear

Error

Error file reports the following:

Error at 5/25/2007 5:11:19 PM
-------------------
Source = mscorlib
Message = There are no more files.

Raw = System.IO.IOException: There are no more files.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames( String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean file)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String path, String userPath, String searchPattern)
at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles(String searchPattern)
at DVDACreator.frmMain.makeDVDAStruct(String groups, Int64 size, String ppSec, Int32 overalPct, String debugFile)
hopefully someone here can help me... have it set to one group, using 88 files already converted to .wav (using iTunes). It errors when "Making ISO Image" not when creating the DVD structure. Setup I have is a MacBook Pro booted into windows under Boot Camp, with Mac Drive 6 to view the mac partition (because boot camp is only set to use 20GB)... any gurus out there?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:01 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by quik22
...Setup I have is a MacBook Pro booted into windows under Boot Camp, with Mac Drive 6 to view the mac partition ...
Not sure that you are going to find a lot of folks with this config. Why not look up the thread where people are using the mac natively to make DVD-As?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1st Try No Luck... Any Thoughts

I just got a PC with a DVD burner and tried the software w/o any success. Here is what I did.

Set up: OS = Dell XPS 410 with Vista and DVD/CD RW drive of course
Software: Nero 7 Ultra Enhanced
Media = TDK DVD+R 16x

Here's what I did...
1. Selected songs and placed them into group1 (sampling of 10)
2. Click Make DVDA - allowed process to complete
3. Found the .ISO file in the path I placed in the options
4. Burned to the TDK using the "Burn" option on the file menu since I had the Media in the drive already. Only the one ISO file placed on the disk.
5. Took it to the car and it would take the disk, it would jump from track to track, but no sound and sounded like "clicks" from the reader.

I have some different media (Sony DVD-R 16x) on the way if the TDK is the issue, but wanted to see if user error was the problem here too . Any thoughts or tips... I can't wait to get this to work.. Awesome utility Adobeman!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:46 PM
9th Gear

Try DVD+R disks, my TL won't play DVD-R's either.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeremyf
Try DVD+R disks, my TL won't play DVD-R's either.
I think you meant that the other way around.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by rahulkumar
I think you meant that the other way around.
Agree, +R will not work for me, but I have a stack of good -R in the car for about the passed 10 months.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:07 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TailsToo
If only someone had something like this for the Mac...
Go get a small p3 + DVD burner, and install windows 2000. You could get all that for less than 200 bucks. Just put it in your closet....just a sugestion.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking Image File!

Originally Posted by OK_TL04
I just got a PC with a DVD burner and tried the software w/o any success. Here is what I did.

Media = TDK DVD+R 16x

Here's what I did...
4. Burned to the TDK using the "Burn" option on the file menu since I had the Media in the drive already. Only the one ISO file placed on the disk.
5. Took it to the car and it would take the disk, it would jump from track to track, but no sound and sounded like "clicks" from the reader.

I have some different media (Sony DVD-R 16x) on the way if the TDK is the issue, but wanted to see if user error was the problem here too . Any thoughts or tips... I can't wait to get this to work.. Awesome utility Adobeman!!!
You need to write it as an IMAGE. ISO format is a great and highly use IMAGE format. If you use nero, for instance,
-open Nero StartSmart
-Choose DVD option
-Go under Copy and Backup
-Choose Burn Image to Disc
-Go get your ISO FILE AND BURN!!!! et voilà!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Go get a small p3 + DVD burner, and install windows 2000. You could get all that for less than 200 bucks. Just put it in your closet....just a sugestion.
If you check the 3G Audio FAQ, I remember seeing something about Macs.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2nd Try.. Still No Luck

Originally Posted by OK_TL04

Media = TDK DVD+R 16x

Here's what I did...

Ok, Got the Sony DVD-R Media and repeated the steps above w/o any luck again. Same thing happened as above, but this time no clicks and i don't think it knew how many tracks were really on the disk as i only put 10, but it went to 99. What files are people placing on the DVD. I have only been placing the ISO image file (one file only), is this correct? Any users out there using Windows Vista and Nero 7 to burn and can share tips on where I'm going wrong.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
User name now jdb8805

I'm having a really strange error.

After buring 30+ discs fine, I've noticed that some of my later discs will play about 14 seconds of certain songs and then go quiet. Track time keeps counting and even goes to the next track but its like the audio is muted. As soon as I pause, skip or cue, it will start working again....for 14 more seconds. This only occurs on some tracks. Most of those tracks were originally WMA format. I've tried everything and wasted 10+ discs. I've coverted to WAV, to MP3, burned every which way and the same songs cause the problem....

The tracks play fine on the computer and burining them to a CD and playing them in the TL works too. The TL will play older and store-bought DVDAs just fine.

WTF?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jedblanks
The tracks play fine on the computer and burining them to a CD and playing them in the TL works too. The TL will play older and store-bought DVDAs just fine.

WTF?
It sounds like the car's drive is not tracking the disc very well. You have one of three problems:

1) Bad media
2) Your burner is failing
3) The drive in the car is failing

I think #3 is unlikely, since it still reads older discs. Bad media's easy to check; just try another package. If that doesn't do it, I'd try a different burner and see if that helps. Burners are pretty cheap now, under $30 if you look.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 AM
User name now jdb8805

Originally Posted by dwasifar
It sounds like the car's drive is not tracking the disc very well. You have one of three problems:

1) Bad media
2) Your burner is failing
3) The drive in the car is failing

I think #3 is unlikely, since it still reads older discs. Bad media's easy to check; just try another package. If that doesn't do it, I'd try a different burner and see if that helps. Burners are pretty cheap now, under $30 if you look.

I've tried three different types of media (Verbatim + and -R and Memorex -R) and I agree that #3 is unlikely. If it was #2, then I would think I'd have other problems -- I burn DVD-videos all the time with no problems during playback.

Any chance it coule be a source file problem? Its always the same file(s) no matter when/where they appear on the disc and its always 14 seconds into the track.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Adobeman, thanks so much! I don't know why I waited so long to do this. The first time I tried this was with MP3s downloaded from a torrent and it worked great. I'm going nuts now converting a bunch of stuff to DVD-A. The only downside I see to all of this is that sometimes I'll want to bring a disc from the car into wherever I'm going and I can't do this now. No big deal though. As long as I have it in the car I'm happy.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jedblanks
I've tried three different types of media (Verbatim + and -R and Memorex -R) and I agree that #3 is unlikely. If it was #2, then I would think I'd have other problems -- I burn DVD-videos all the time with no problems during playback.

Any chance it coule be a source file problem? Its always the same file(s) no matter when/where they appear on the disc and its always 14 seconds into the track.
Now you've got me really curious. Why don't you send me a couple of those files, and I'll see if I have the same problem with them? Send me a private message and we'll set it up.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

I have a new non-navi '07 TL and have had no success burning a dvd-a that will play in the car. I have some 24-bit concert flacs that I would like to burn to dvda. I have tried both converting the flacs to wav and using this gui to make the iso, and have made an iso straight from the flacs using another program. Additionally, I have burned on both memorex and varbatim 16x dvd-r discs at 8x speed using various programs including discwelder, dvdsanta and deepburner.

When I pop in the discs in the car the display reads "reading" for several minutes and nothing happens.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Thanks for creating a great program! Oddly enough I know most people have had better luck with DVD-R (tried most the name brands mentioned in here) but for some reason my 2006 TL liked the Sony DVD+RW the best!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 AM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

Hey guys, I've been burning DVD-A discs with Adobeman's program for a long time now and I have had issues with the player skipping some tracks as has been discussed in this topic many times.

One thing I wondered was: Could heavily fragmented hard drives cause the problem? Maybe these tracks are missing the slightest amount of data that make some of them defective or hard to play for the sensitive player in the car?

Another possible problem-perhaps related to the fragmented hard drives: If I have the music and the DVD-A program in one hard drive (in my case F: drive) and the Nero burning program in my C: drive, and both drives were fragmented... could this cause the problem some of us are having?

Well, I'll soon find out. I've been de-fragging my entire computer (man was I clueless about it!) using Diskeeper, and even de-fragmenting the Master File Tables when I re-boot. When I'm all cleaned up, I'm going to do a few tests. I really hope this solves my issue.

My media is usually very good. I've used Fuji (made in Japan only) DVD-R discs, and Fuji (made in Taiwan) DVD+R DL with great results (85-90% of the tracks play fine), but not always perfect. Recently I got some nice Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs made in Japan as well, but the track skipping was still happening. I normally would fill my discs up pretty full, and I am curious to see if that might have something to do with this - but I doubt it.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have luck getting this to run on Vista?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Anyone have luck getting this to run on Vista?
Yup, just worked for me first try. I had a problem with one of the mp3s over and over again, but when I removed it everything went smoothly.

I'm running Vista, used Adobeman's GUI to convert mp3s, and burned with Roxio Easy Media Creator 9.

For any of you looking for a new DVD burner, I just bought a Lite-On LH20A1S from Newegg for $28.99 shipped and this is what I used to burn the DVD-A just fine.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ I get errors about .net 1.1 framework..
Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Pro

Howdy, just wanted to thank those involved .. the software worked flawlessly for me. I'm using DVD+R's and have created 5 discs already. They've all worked perfectly!! .. GREAT JOB!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Originally Posted by Timmahh
^^ I get errors about .net 1.1 framework..
Yup, I had that problem too at first
Go here and download the fix.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Instructor

I was all excited to try this approach (DVD-A), and certainly appreciate the effort of the programmer creating the program, but in the end, what's the compelling reason to burn a 2-channel DVD-A versus burning an MP3 or WMA CD?

The one significant improvement of the DVD-A over the MP3/WMA CD seems to be that the DVD-A is an un-compressed format, which obviously has the potential for better quality. However, it seems many/most people using this program are starting out with MP3 files, which negates the benefit of the DVD-A being un-compressed. (The other significant benefit of the DVD-A format is, of course, that it supports 5.1 channel audio, but the program discussed in this thread does not create 5.1 output, so that benefit is moot here).

The DVD-A can store up to 99 tracks, while an MP3/WMA CD can store up to 255 tracks. The MP3/WMA CD supports track and folder name display, while DVD-A does not. The DVD-A supports multiple folders, but it seems the default play mechanism is such that you have to go out of your way to get to any folder other than the first; the default behavior is to skip from folder 1 on disk 1 to folder 1 on disk 2.

Again, I'm not trying to put down this program, I just can't see any reason to use it.

(edit) -AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh - DUH - .... I guess the compelling reason is that MP3/WMA support was only introduced on the 07 TL's, while the DVD-A was introduced on the base '04 - so this program is great for everyone with an '04-06 TL ....
Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I was all excited to try this approach (DVD-A), and certainly appreciate the effort of the programmer creating the program, but in the end, what's the compelling reason to burn a 2-channel DVD-A versus burning an MP3 or WMA CD?

The one significant improvement of the DVD-A over the MP3/WMA CD seems to be that the DVD-A is an un-compressed format, which obviously has the potential for better quality. However, it seems many/most people using this program are starting out with MP3 files, which negates the benefit of the DVD-A being un-compressed. (The other significant benefit of the DVD-A format is, of course, that it supports 5.1 channel audio, but the program discussed in this thread does not create 5.1 output, so that benefit is moot here).

The DVD-A can store up to 99 tracks, while an MP3/WMA CD can store up to 255 tracks. The MP3/WMA CD supports track and folder name display, while DVD-A does not. The DVD-A supports multiple folders, but it seems the default play mechanism is such that you have to go out of your way to get to any folder other than the first; the default behavior is to skip from folder 1 on disk 1 to folder 1 on disk 2.

Again, I'm not trying to put down this program, I just can't see any reason to use it.

(edit) -AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh - DUH - .... I guess the compelling reason is that MP3/WMA support was only introduced on the 07 TL's, while the DVD-A was introduced on the base '04 - so this program is great for everyone with an '04-06 TL ....
It's all about lots of CD quality music on one disc. That's it. It's nothing to do with the ability of the car to play, or not play, mp3/wma discs. The only reason I ever put the ability to use mp3s into the program was for other people. Admittedly the mp3 conversion function is the weak part of my GUI. With the ability to fit 6 to 8 FULL QUALITY CDs on one disk I don't see any reason to deal with crappy sounding mp3s.

If you are going to bother with compressed music the best solution is still to use a portable player with a direct wired hook-up. Then you don't need to bother with discs of any kind. I use my iPod for podcasts. No mater how high I sample, mp3s sound awful out of it in the car.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Instructor

I certainly respect your opinion, and fully appreciate the technical reasons why compressed music (lossy) is a challenge. I have never cared for MP3s myself, and may be the only person alive today who has never downloaded a single MP3 from napster or anywhere else. I still buy CDs whenever I want any music. When I got my iPod, I converted my entire CD collection over to it, and was quite satisfied with the quality but never did any serious comparisons. When I bought the TL, I was disappointed it did not have full iPod integration, but was happy to see the AUX input - which again, seems to work well enough.

Then on a lark, I decided to convert a favorite CD over to WMA format, using a high, variable bitrate (having read that WMA was very good). I compared the WMA version to the original in the car, and .... I could NOT tell the difference, no matter how hard I listened. I'm not saying others could not tell, but I certainly could not.

Are there certain types of music that suffer more from compression than others - eg, symphony, rock, acoustic, etc? I'd love an excuse to give the program a spin!

The best feature of the WMA/MP3 deal in the car is that I can simply leave those CDs in there forever, while the iPod (which I had integrated into my last car) needs to be removed after each journey due to heat, theft, etc issues.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear

Fantastic work Adobeman! Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by FuriousMojo
Fantastic work Adobeman! Thanks.
I'm flattered....you joined back in March and saved up this for your first post 6 months later. It's nice to see that some folks still wait until they find the right one
Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Racer

This my first time making the Dvda. It didn't work out too well for me. i burn 3 dvd's and all of them didn't work.
here is what i did.
1. i installed the Adobeman software
2. I drag the songs to the adobeman software.
3. i drag one song to first 3 group. (for testing) i didn't want to do all these work and didn't work.
4. After creating the ISO file. i use neon software (burn image to disc)
5. test the disc, however it didn't work.

please advise what i did wrong. does the file name have anything to do with this?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Racer

I use " - " to seperate the artist and song title. could this be the problem?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

Here's what worked for me:

Use DVD-R, NOT DVD+R
Use CD-Ex (google it) to convert the MP3's to WAV before dragging them to Adobeman's program

My songs were formatted as Artist - Song Title and it worked just fine.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by FuriousMojo
Here's what worked for me:

Use DVD-R, NOT DVD+R
Use CD-Ex (google it) to convert the MP3's to WAV before dragging them to Adobeman's program

My songs were formatted as Artist - Song Title and it worked just fine.
Thanks for the tip. i finally got it to work. I use the DVD+r and it doesn't work. when i burn it with DVD-R, it works right the way. i have couple more question

1. How can i change group when i play the DVDA? i put 14songs on group1 on and 12 songs on group 2. It doesn't play song other than group1.

2. Does the text work on the display when you play the dvd audio? All i am getting is DVDA 4:05 (song and track).

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"