Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 08:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ACURAFANANTIC
any1?
Yes, I have successfully used Maxell DVD-RW discs to burn DVD-A with Adobeman's script and ImgBurn at 2.4X.
I have yet to make a working DVD+R DL, but I think it is the crappy laptop DVD-RW in my Dell. Will have to try again with my desktop PC at work. I have been able to burn the 4.63 NAVI disc in that burner and have it work in my girlfriend's 06 Accord, so I think that is my fix.
Old 04-16-2009 | 03:03 PM
3rd Gear

Hello. I am new in the forum and have only had my TL for about a week now. But I instantly tried to find out as much as I could about the DVD-A capabilities and want to really thank Adobeman for the great software (namely the authoring and 2.0 -> 5.1 programs)

I thought I would throw out there as well that there is a free (and legal) piece of software that I have had great success in using as well. In addition to creating 2.0 channel ISO's it can support 6 channel creation as well.

Basically this is a GUI freeware based alternative to Cirlinca's DVD Audio Solo. The software is available here.

Thanks again Adobeman for everything, I really enjoy using your software and I really appreciate your hardwork on it.
Old 04-16-2009 | 04:50 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by MGF-TL
Hello. I am new in the forum and have only had my TL for about a week now. But I instantly tried to find out as much as I could about the DVD-A capabilities and want to really thank Adobeman for the great software (namely the authoring and 2.0 -> 5.1 programs)

I thought I would throw out there as well that there is a free (and legal) piece of software that I have had great success in using as well. In addition to creating 2.0 channel ISO's it can support 6 channel creation as well.

Basically this is a GUI freeware based alternative to Cirlinca's DVD Audio Solo. The software is available here.

Thanks again Adobeman for everything, I really enjoy using your software and I really appreciate your hardwork on it.
That's really interesting. I used the same tools when I wrote my original scripts and GUI. But since then someone has furthered the development to include their own GUI as well as updating it for multichannel. It looks pretty cool for sure. I see they have a windows binary for download. Have you used it ? There are notes about patches on the gui status page that look pretty important. The notes about a patch "sector pointers in the AUDIO_PP.IFO file" seem important based on things I needed to wrestle with years ago.

Also, Cirlinca has a new release coming out that looks to add lots of really cool features so be sure to still give it consideration.
Old 04-16-2009 | 06:21 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Adobeman
That's really interesting. I used the same tools when I wrote my original scripts and GUI. But since then someone has furthered the development to include their own GUI as well as updating it for multichannel. It looks pretty cool for sure. I see they have a windows binary for download. Have you used it ? There are notes about patches on the gui status page that look pretty important. The notes about a patch "sector pointers in the AUDIO_PP.IFO file" seem important based on things I needed to wrestle with years ago.

Also, Cirlinca has a new release coming out that looks to add lots of really cool features so be sure to still give it consideration.
Yes I did successfully create a 6 channel DVD-A that works great in my 06 TL. I downloaded the "dvd-a author package" and it seemed to be completely updated with all necessary patches, etc... I used the software to create an ISO and then burned with Nero. I haven't checked the burn functionality of the software. I am going to investigate a little more tonight. As I mentioned, I am somewhat new at this but after getting my TL, knew I wanted to look into the DVD-A format a little more. I have several live concerts on DVD (video) and have really enjoyed ripping them to 5.1 audio. Also I really like using the adobinzier to create 5.1 mixes of my songs (especially jazz). Thanks again for all your work. I found this thread first and it was a great jumping off point for finding our more about DVD-A and authoring.
Old 04-16-2009 | 06:38 PM
3rd Gear

Maybe you could use the updated multi-channel support to add to your authoring software? To be honest I much prefer your GUI. I am no programmer so don't know the feasibility/legality of that. Anyway, thanks again for your posts and software, they continue to be extremely useful.
Old 04-16-2009 | 07:17 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

I USE TO use Cirlinca but now that I have a Mac I'm shit out of luck, no PC to run the software.

Ideas for Mac users anyone? I tried one that was posted in here, forget the name, but it didn't work - all his links were down.

Need my 5.1 !
Old 04-22-2009 | 02:09 AM
2nd Gear

Here's my experience with DVDA:
First, I have a 2005 TL. I used Media Monkey to transcode from mp3 to wav. This is, in my opinion the best mp3 management software and player. Then I used Adobeman's amazingly easy to use GUI. Thank you for your work on this! Then I used the freeware version of Deepburner. I used HP dvd-r's.
First try, which was a 15 track trial, worked perfectly! Then I did a full disk. Awesome. It takes the sting out of my jealousy of my wife's new 09 Civic ex nav. That thing has a usb flash drive connection that makes any flash drive an mp3 player. That would have been a lot better, but Honda gambled on giving it's customers a great format in DVDA. They just didn't see the writing on the wall with the easy to buy or trade mp3 world that was about to take off. Of course we all traded down in sound quality, at least for now.

I spent a long time reading every post here on this subject. I know that a lot of the posts are 3 years old, but this will continue to be an active thread. I would especially like to thank, besides Adobeman, Fookdaddy. His simple instructions on a post about 4 pages back really made the sequence clear for me. By the way, I didn't use CDex simply because I really trust MediaMonkey because I use it everyday.
Thanks again, Adobeman. That's a really great first program.
Raphael
Old 04-24-2009 | 06:39 PM
2nd Gear

As we load WAV files into respective folders, can we rename the folders so they are displayed on the navigation screen? for example if I load LedZepIV into "CD_GRP1" can I rename the file LedZepIV so that I have the folders organized? my complaint about DVD-A with the acrua is that is doesnt show song/folder tags like MP3. am i missing something??

also, can this software also handle 24bit ?

thanks in advance,
dan

PS : GREAT software, I am now going to start to play around with adobinzer
Old 04-24-2009 | 07:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GTA_TLS
I USE TO use Cirlinca but now that I have a Mac I'm shit out of luck, no PC to run the software.

Ideas for Mac users anyone? I tried one that was posted in here, forget the name, but it didn't work - all his links were down.

Need my 5.1 !

dvd-audiofile
Old 04-24-2009 | 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

DVDA can't show any display. It wasn't written to handle the way we are using it. This software that we are using is simply a work around.
It's like HD DVD, minidisc, and Betamax. Great formats, but never adopted by enough hardware manufacturers (for a variety of reasons).
Old 04-28-2009 | 05:01 PM
Ezv
Intermediate

yes, finally got my dvd to burn and play, now i just gotta figure out how to change groups lol...thanks adobeman, i think i just saved myself $150 for the isimple
Old 05-06-2009 | 04:41 PM
3rd Gear

GUI DVDA burning questions

Questions:

1: I have a PC running 64-bit Vista. Do you think that that will work with your new GUI interface and converter? I would need to load NETFRAMEWORK 1.1?

2: Because the DVD-A format uses lots of data, when it converts mp3, how many minutes of audio tracks can be stored on a SL DVD?

3: I saw a post that someone has played mp3s directly, but I think it may be only on 2007 model, correct? My TL is a 2005 model.

Thanks for your work in this area.

David
Old 05-07-2009 | 05:03 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by davidgo235
Questions:

1: I have a PC running 64-bit Vista. Do you think that that will work with your new GUI interface and converter? I would need to load NETFRAMEWORK 1.1?
Yes - You will need the 1.1 framework.
2: Because the DVD-A format uses lots of data, when it converts mp3, how many minutes of audio tracks can be stored on a SL DVD? It depends.
The mp3s will be converted to wav first. Typically 80-100 two channel songs will fit. For best quality rip CDs to wav. If all you have is mp3 then convert first to wav with CDex

3: I saw a post that someone has played mp3s directly, but I think it may be only on 2007 model, correct? My TL is a 2005 model.
You are right. The 2005 will not play and mp3 CD

Thanks for your work in this area.

David
See comments in quote
Old 05-10-2009 | 03:52 PM
7th Gear

I'm getting about 100 songs on dvd audio...but i'm getting a little bit more (118) on mp3 cd (if i choose lower quality, i can get even more than 120 songs)...and the sound quality between the two media is about the same...is everything getting about 100 songs on dvd-audio? If so, might as well use cd-rw since the processing time is shorter?
Old 05-10-2009 | 07:37 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by FrankieY18
I'm getting about 100 songs on dvd audio...but i'm getting a little bit more (118) on mp3 cd (if i choose lower quality, i can get even more than 120 songs)...and the sound quality between the two media is about the same...is everything getting about 100 songs on dvd-audio? If so, might as well use cd-rw since the processing time is shorter?
It's about getting CD 100 or so CD quality songs on a disc. If I'm reading your post correctly, the reason you have found the "two media is about the same" is because you are using inferior source material (mp3 is inferior at any bit rate). If you compared the 100 songs on the mp3 CD to the same 100 songs ripped from CD and put on a DVD-A the difference should be very noticeable. If you are in fact comparing CD rips on DVD-A to and mp3 CD and find no difference then your ears are shot or your system is messed.

Using mp3s as source material for DVD-A is a waste unless you:
  • Have an older TL that doesn't play mp3 CDs
  • Have an older TL and didn't add an aux input for an mp3 player (iPod). Even though I'm an mp3 kill-joy I still use an iPod plenty in the car.
  • Only have mp3s since you bootlegged the music (don't have the original CDs)
  • Enjoy putting lipstick on a pig
Old 05-16-2009 | 01:01 PM
HOME SWEET HOME....

just so i know i read the WHOLE thread

to make DVDA dl adobeman's gui.... find songs on my pc and bring them into that.. make ISO then burn ISO onto DVD-r(verbatim... popular choice) and i should be good???
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:03 PM
5th Gear

it dosent work with +R's =( --- Thanks alot for the program it works fine after I figured out the media issue!
Old 06-26-2009 | 08:02 AM
1st Gear

Adobeman's Software question

Adobeman,
I recently tried your software as well as cirlinca software but the both software fails during the last stage when it actually tries to burn AUDIO DVD

The message I get from your software is " DVDA structure creation did not work"
I am using windows vista and trying to burn WAV files on DVD-R disc. Should I use DVD+R? Even the cirlinca software fails to burn.

MY DVD burner is fine as I can burn other data DVDs.
Please advice. i really need to have a AUDIO DVD played in my Acura TL 2004.

Thanks again.

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 07-13-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2009 | 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

i got windows XP... I use Maxwell DVD+R disc and express burn (FREE!)... and it worked great... on my 04 NON-NAVI. thanks alot your a life saver adobeman
Old 07-10-2009 | 03:01 PM
2nd Gear

Question for Adobeman... have an 08 rdx with tech package and have been looking for a program that would convert an mp3 to the dvd-a format that i can listen to in that 6-chan sound..from what i have been reading you r program should do it..right??....the disc taht came with the car has some tracks and the sound is beautiful...a complete dvd disc holds about 100 songs?? Appreciate the resopnse as I am new to this stuff...thanks
Old 07-13-2009 | 09:40 PM
Racer

I seem to be getting stuck on files with padding.

Old 08-11-2009 | 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Adobeman - I have a question about the GUI.

Seems to be working great, but I can not find my .iso after its done creating it! The program says that it has been created, and tells me the location (DVDA/Images) but it is not there.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

I am running 64-bit Vista, and have installed the 1.1 framework.
Old 08-11-2009 | 11:31 PM
Cruisin'

Oh nevermind I figured it out - Vista being difficult as always.

Thanks Adobeman - your program is great!
Old 10-28-2009 | 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

the GUI gets to like 94% and then says "could not create ISO image"? I put in compatible .wav files. I have .net 1.1 and 3.5 so I dont know.
Old 10-29-2009 | 12:30 PM
Advanced

hey

Originally Posted by TorontoR
Why isn't this a sticky?
torontor in your profile picture the tl limo,i like the wheels from what car is those wheels
Old 11-16-2009 | 08:15 PM
Feenin on some 20's

I don't understand why I can't put almost 1/2 of my songs on here... It rejects it..

Anyone knwo why? I have 91 songs in my Folder. I transfer it over to the GUI and only 50 or so songs transferred.. It says something about how much song has 48000Hz or something like that...

TIA

-Donald
Old 11-16-2009 | 08:20 PM
Feenin on some 20's

ok, it says this

"The file "songname - Artist" did not validate properly.

The sample frequency for mp3 must be 44100Hz. This file is 48000Hz."
Old 11-16-2009 | 09:26 PM
Drifting

It needs to be converted...Use CDex to convert them to wav, then process them through Adobeman's program.
Old 11-17-2009 | 04:25 AM
Feenin on some 20's

just downloaded CDex

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download

not working =\
Old 11-20-2009 | 01:35 AM
Feenin on some 20's

So I have fixed everything, downloaded CDex, works fine.

On another note, I would like to let everyone know that I have tried to burn my music on TDK DVD-R disks, and they do not work on my TL... I Burned 3x's, no luck.

HOWEVER, I used my friends SONY DVD-R 16x and they work perfectly. I have burned two disks using his SONY DVD-R's and success. Just a heads up, I'm not sure if everyone else is having the same problem?

I am now satisfied and very happy =)

I just don't know where to get the SONY DVD-R's and my friend has, but I will be looking around for them.

Now I don't know what to do with this 50pack(now 47) of TDK DVD-R's that I have just bought. =(
Old 11-20-2009 | 05:40 PM
10th Gear

Linux tools for DVD-A

Just thought I'd check back in with an update to the Linux scripts I have for burning DVD-A discs.

Here's a link to a howto for Ubuntu.
Old 11-20-2009 | 06:36 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by dwasifar
Just thought I'd check back in with an update to the Linux scripts I have for burning DVD-A discs.

Here's a link to a howto for Ubuntu.
Cool. From your link, "...I developed these methods for my own convenience to burn discs for the car, using sox, dvda-author, mkisofs-dvda-audio, and some shell scripts to automate the process." That sounds very familiar to me. I haven't played around with Ubuntu for years. It was pretty cool but I just didn't have the time to put into it.

What are you using Sox for ? General format conversions? I used in in the Adobinizer for EQ and time delays.
Old 11-21-2009 | 01:12 AM
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

Adobeman, you saved me hundreds for dollars. (for now) Thanks a bunch.
All the options in your tool work perfect. Very simple and easy to use.
PC --> Vista 32 bit
HDD --> 2 HDD's
Media --> maxell DVD+R +R works fine in my 06 TL.

Will try your 2-5.1 tool soon. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2009 | 04:47 PM
10th Gear

Cool. From your link, "...I developed these methods for my own convenience to burn discs for the car, using sox, dvda-author, mkisofs-dvda-audio, and some shell scripts to automate the process." That sounds very familiar to me. I haven't played around with Ubuntu for years. It was pretty cool but I just didn't have the time to put into it.

What are you using Sox for ? General format conversions? I used in in the Adobinizer for EQ and time delays.
Yeah, sox is there to convert the mp3s to wav files so that dvda-author can handle them in the next step. It sequentially renames the output in the process to preserve playlist sequence. mkisofs-dvda-audio performs the same step that mkisofs did in your original Windows scripts, but without having to do a double pass.

Before I switched to Linux I used your Windows scripts; then I cloned them for Linux, and after a while I rewrote them from scratch again (to access Amarok's sqlite database directly, among other things). But you could still say that these Linux scripts were inspired by your original Windows work.
Old 01-03-2010 | 02:25 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up Works fine in Windows 7 x64.

First of all, I want to say THANK YOU to Adobeman. It is not easy to find time to do something extra, even if it is something one likes to do, after a long day of work and have errands/other things to take care of.

Anyway, went from XP to Windows 7x64 few weeks ago. Tested the DVDA burning process and had my first DVDA burnt in Windows 7x64. Disc plays fine in the TL. Yeah!!!

Few things to pay attention to:

.NET 1.1

As Adobeman states, you'll need it to install Adobeman DVDA. You can download the .NET 1.1 Redistributed package here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Media Player Lossless WAV format:

I ripped a bunch of albums with Windows Media Player in WAV lossless format. The wav files would NOT work when I add them to the Groups in DVDA because of the bit/kHz. Used iTunes to rip the albums instead; set WAV format to highest 48,000kHz/16bit/stereo and the wav files all work fine when I add them to the groups in DVDA.

Adding multiple MP3s to the groups in DVDA - program not responding

Have to be patient when adding multiple MP3 files to the group as DVDAGUI.exe may show up as NOT RESPONDING, with a blue cirlce cursor, in taskmgr/resource explorer after you dragged the files to the group window. I ended process couple times when I saw this happening but the program was indeed doing its work. Just wait and be patience as the program will come back once it's done converting the MP3 files. FYI, it took about 15 to 20 minutes to complete the conversion for 30 MP3 files.

Permission to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\Images

An ISO file will be created in Images folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\Images" but it did not happen when I first created the ISO. I had to add myself to the Adobeman's DVDA GUI folder with full control permission to address this issue. (right click on folder > Properties > Security tab > Edit)

Otherwise the ISO image may be created in the user profile virtualstore folder under:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progr am Files (x86)\Adobeman's DVDA GUI\Images

After fixings these minor issues, used Nero 9 Burning ROM to burn the ISO on an DVD-RW disc to test. Everything works fine even on this re-writable disc.

Some additional info if it helps:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad 9450
Board: Asus P5Q-Deluxe
RAM: 4gig DDR2
Video Card: ATI 4870
Drives: Seagate Bar. 7200rpm 2x500GB RAID 0 (OS); Seagate Bar. 1x1.5TB 7200rpm (DVDAGUI temp folders location)
Burning Software: Nero 9 Burning Rom 9.0.9.4

Peace
The following 3 users liked this post by mamamilk008:
LoveMyTL-S (07-13-2012), Sezniko (10-02-2011), vgorous (10-10-2013)
Old 05-15-2010 | 10:40 PM
9th Gear

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012 | 10:50 PM
Instructor

Question DVD Structure could not be created error

This is such an old post. Hopefully someone will read it...

I have been getting a random error message "DVD Structure Could not be created". The strange part is if I keep trying or keep pushing "pause" to pause the DOS process window, all of a sudden it starts working. I could create one or two ISO images. All of a sudden the message would return when I clicked the "Make DVDA" button to start creating another project... very strange....

I tested it with different Compatibility mode settings, XP SP2/XP SP3/unchecked, no difference.

Granted my account FULL CONTROL to all temp folders used by the program, no difference.

Even tried XP mode, same thing....

Have any of you encountered this error message?

System:
Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
Q9450 3.6GHz
nVidia 560ti 880OC
8GB G-Skill DDR2 1000

Peace!

Last edited by mamamilk008; 07-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2012 | 12:35 PM
Engineer

Originally Posted by mamamilk008
This is such an old post. Hopefully someone will read it...

I have been getting a random error message "DVD Structure Could not be created". The strange part is if I keep trying or keep pushing "pause" to pause the DOS process window, all of a sudden it starts working. I could create one or two ISO images. All of a sudden the message would return when I clicked the "Make DVDA" button to start creating another project... very strange....

I tested it with different Compatibility mode settings, XP SP2/XP SP3/unchecked, no difference.

Granted my account FULL CONTROL to all temp folders used by the program, no difference.

Even tried XP mode, same thing....

Have any of you encountered this error message?

System:
Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
Q9450 3.6GHz
nVidia 560ti 880OC
8GB G-Skill DDR2 1000

Peace!
Hi,

Yes I've seen this message before. One thing I'd check is the language on the MP3s. They have to be English no exception.

Another thing I'd try is to reinstall the software again.

Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2012 | 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lights
Hi,

Yes I've seen this message before. One thing I'd check is the language on the MP3s. They have to be English no exception.

Another thing I'd try is to reinstall the software again.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the kind attention Lights! I'll pay attention to the song titles to ensure they don't have any funny characters.

Issue happened right after a fresh install including .NET 1.1 but I'll try to reinstall the program....

What I suspect is: when I pause the process window (can be enabled in the Option menu for those who don't know), I noticed that there is a line at the very beginning stating "could not create DVD structure folder, does the folder exist?"

If I could pause the process at the right time (right when the line comes up), the conversion process will start and the DVD structure temp folder will show the working files, ISO creation would be able to complete.

I wonder if it is because of the input for the line had timed out, causing the DVD structure folder creation to fail.

Anyway, will keep trying to see if I will spot anything... will enjoy the discs I created for now

Peace
Old 08-15-2014 | 11:36 AM
1st Gear

I've just finished version 1.0 of a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for my free scripts that many of you are using to create DVD-A discs for the car. No more having to use special directories and run batch programs. The objective was to make the process much easier to run (and for me to learn more about .Net programming).

This new GUI shell will:
  • Let you just drag and drop wav or mp3 files into this program in any of 9 groups
  • Allow you to re-order tracks by selecting them and using up/down buttons. (no more making sure the songs are named a special way to have them sort right)
  • Check you HDD space prior to letting you make an image.
  • Specify your DVD media size and then make sure you don't exceed it.
  • Save projects for later use / Open projects previously saved.
  • Allow you to pick a normalization factor (for mp3->wav decoding)

Here is the home page http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDAGUI/ Download version 1 and install. System requirements are below in this post.

Please don't expect things to be any faster. Unfortunately the same 2 passes are required as they always were. You still only get an ISO file that you burn with your burning software. Two HDD mode is still supported as well. If you are comfortable with the batch programs you may want to stay with them. It is up to you. It is all still free. For payware I still really like Cirlinca's DVD Audio Solo.

The system requirements are
  • Windows 2000 or Windows XP
  • Microsoft .Net Framework V1.1 or greater. If you have XP and have been keeping up with Windows Update then you have this. Windows 2000 users will also most likely have it.
  • Plenty of hard disc space. You will need 2 to 3 times the size of the DVDA you intend to make. About 2X if you are using all wav file and about 3x if you are using all mp3 files. So for a 4.32 GB (full) DVD single layer disc made from all mp3s you could need up to about 13 GB free space.
  • A computer with 2 separate hard disk drives is recommended. This way you can spread the disk requirements across 2 disks as well as greatly increase performance. Check out the “Options” section for how to set this.

Here is a screen shot http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDAGUI/image002.jpg

I hope this works out for any of you that try it, especially those who have found the previous scripts a bit too complicated.
I'll give this a try.

Quick Reply: Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"