Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cybersmithuk
Hi Hawhyen51, You made my day!! I did bring DVD-R Philips Discs and burned the image using DeepBurner as you said..... I went and played this disc in the TL and it rocks!! This really worked. I am so amazed with the sound quality.....I am so excited that it worked...and cannot express how I feel at this minute!! Thanks once again everybody!!
Glad it worked out, now you can make all the compilations you want.......
Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I made only one disc so far and it skips like crazy. I am going to try CDex and perhaps burn at lower speed.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:37 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Originally Posted by mlody
I made only one disc so far and it skips like crazy. I am going to try CDex and perhaps burn at lower speed.
Hi Mlody, try to use TDK or Sony to avoid skipping. I had the same problem but when I used TDK, it worked great.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by cybersmithuk
Hi Mlody, try to use TDK or Sony to avoid skipping. I had the same problem but when I used TDK, it worked great.
+1

i was using memorex dvds and it skipped like there was no tomorrow. didnt matter if it was at 1x.

when i used the TDK, it fixed the skipping problem easy.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I did not say that before, but yes I am using Memorex DVD-R 16x, but my burner is only 4x max. I will buy a small spindle of TDK and Sony to try them out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
I did not say that before, but yes I am using Memorex DVD-R 16x, but my burner is only 4x max. I will buy a small spindle of TDK and Sony to try them out. Thanks for the advice.
no problem.

the Memorex DVD-R 16x are the ones i used that skipped like crazy.

when i bought the TDK I immediately noticed no more skipping-ever.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by Adobeman
I've just finished version 1.0 of a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for my free scripts that many of you are using to create DVD-A discs for the car. No more having to use special directories and run batch programs. The objective was to make the process much easier to run (and for me to learn more about .Net programming).

This new GUI shell will:
  • Let you just drag and drop wav or mp3 files into this program in any of 9 groups
  • Allow you to re-order tracks by selecting them and using up/down buttons. (no more making sure the songs are named a special way to have them sort right)
  • Check you HDD space prior to letting you make an image.
  • Specify your DVD media size and then make sure you don't exceed it.
  • Save projects for later use / Open projects previously saved.
  • Allow you to pick a normalization factor (for mp3->wav decoding)

Here is the home page http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDAGUI/ Download version 1 and install. System requirements are below in this post.

Please don't expect things to be any faster. Unfortunately the same 2 passes are required as they always were. You still only get an ISO file that you burn with your burning software. Two HDD mode is still supported as well. If you are comfortable with the batch programs you may want to stay with them. It is up to you. It is all still free. For payware I still really like Cirlinca's DVD Audio Solo.

The system requirements are
  • Windows 2000 or Windows XP
  • Microsoft .Net Framework V1.1 or greater. If you have XP and have been keeping up with Windows Update then you have this. Windows 2000 users will also most likely have it.
  • Plenty of hard disc space. You will need 2 to 3 times the size of the DVDA you intend to make. About 2X if you are using all wav file and about 3x if you are using all mp3 files. So for a 4.32 GB (full) DVD single layer disc made from all mp3s you could need up to about 13 GB free space.
  • A computer with 2 separate hard disk drives is recommended. This way you can spread the disk requirements across 2 disks as well as greatly increase performance. Check out the “Options” section for how to set this.

Here is a screen shot http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDAGUI/image002.jpg

I hope this works out for any of you that try it, especially those who have found the previous scripts a bit too complicated.

Can I throw a HUGE monkey wrench into this thread and ask a question that I'm almost positive will draw the ire of the majority of this group?

OK, here goes...

Does anybody write programs for Macs?

Some of us use Macs a lot and I was just wondering if anyone has the skill set for that. As of right now, I have a PC I use regularly for certain applications, and Macs for many others, but my PC doesn't have a DVD drive; my Macs do....and no, I do not have a Mac with the processor that supports both Windows and OS X. That's one of my next little purchases on the queue.

Anyway, if someone could create a nice, easy software package for some of these cool hacks and processes that are going around (like this one, and the Navi hacks), that would make my life a lot easier!

Go ahead and start your bashing now!

{the ride}
Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
Can I throw a HUGE monkey wrench into this thread and ask a question that I'm almost positive will draw the ire of the majority of this group?

OK, here goes...

Does anybody write programs for Macs?

Some of us use Macs a lot and I was just wondering if anyone has the skill set for that. As of right now, I have a PC I use regularly for certain applications, and Macs for many others, but my PC doesn't have a DVD drive; my Macs do....and no, I do not have a Mac with the processor that supports both Windows and OS X. That's one of my next little purchases on the queue.

Anyway, if someone could create a nice, easy software package for some of these cool hacks and processes that are going around (like this one, and the Navi hacks), that would make my life a lot easier!

Go ahead and start your bashing now!

{the ride}
brettallica,
There have been some posts about DVD-A on the mac but I'm not sure I have seen anyone come forward as a developer for mac programs. The command line tools I control with the GUI are open source so perhaps there is a possibility one could use them in some way on a mac.

I have often seen my brother, an Apple zealot, use windows emulation programs to run programs. I have suggested this as a possible way to run my original batch scripts, not the .Net GUI, to create an ISO that could then be burned on a mac. Nobody has commented one way or another if that is viable.

If something does start to grow out of this I would just ask that you start a separate thread about it.

You won't hear me bashing. Apple does so much bashing of everyone and everything that there is none [bashing] left in the world. That company really needs to chill out.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Even if you have an app like Nero or Roxio, I would suggest using DeepBurner Free. Small footprint, very intuitive, user friendly and no conflict. Both are very good programs, but I find burning an ISO with Deepburner is so much easier IMO. BTW, this was recommended when the original Adobeman scripts were introduced to the forum.
I tried everything and made nothing but coasters. I could make an iso file with Adomeman's GUI but once burned onto the dvd and inserted, the TL would spit it back at me with the message "Format". I tried Movie Factory 5 and Nero 7 among others but nothing worked. Then I downloaded CDex to use for the ripping...great program...and then tried DeepBurner Free. I asked it to burn the ISO but instead it burned the audio_ts and video_ts folders...I was about to trash it when I decided to give it a try in the TL. I was amazed when it started to play and with great sound.
Next I'm going to try the 6 channel version. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks Adobeman
Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Cruisin'

After making a DVD A using a Sony DVD-R with CDex, Adobeman's GUI, DeepBurn, and a Sony burner, I purchased some Memorex DVD-RWs thinking that
I could make mistakes and not make coasters with the rewritables. I did everyting exactly the same and got a write error on my first and several subsequent tries.
I then went back and tried the Sony DVD-R and it works perfect. Sooo, there appears to be a difference in DVDs...I'm not sure if its the Memorex that it doesn't like or if you can use rewritables. I'll go buy some Sony DVD-RWs tomorrow and
see if it will take them.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just tried to make a DVD-A. It seemed to have burned onto the DVD+R disc but when i put it in my car it blinks "Format" on the screen.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MiaQbn23
I just tried to make a DVD-A. It seemed to have burned onto the DVD+R disc but when i put it in my car it blinks "Format" on the screen.
I take the last comment back. I used Deepburn and it did it.
Thanks!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:58 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by lehosm
... Sooo, there appears to be a difference in DVDs...
Yup, Many times that is the entire problem. It is usually the die used being different and not readable by a particular player. I you only knew.....

The variance in media, hardware and programs that compile the files all leads to a real crap shoot. That's why many people search out particular media NOT by brand but media code and then buy big lots when they find what works. Often times the logo on the media has nothing to do with who makes it. Writing CDs is nothing compared to DVDs. DVD-A, and more-so or DVD-V, is much more of a piece of software than just plain old files. The creation of the "title sets", as they are known, is more involved and prone to "interpretation of standards" by software makers. Couple that with some really crappy hardware and media out there and that's why DVD burning is generally tougher for the population than CD burning. Rarely do I hear of people having trouble with data DVDs, they are very simple by comparison to DVD-V and DVD-A disks.

It's a lot better than it was 5 years ago but DVDs are still hard for many people to get done right.

And here is the really bad news. Just because your home burned DVD-V and DVD-A disks play on your current hardware there is no guarantee they will play on any new hardware you get. It's better than it used to be but not a slam-dunk. I've copied many an old DVD-R to new DVD-R media just to get it to play on a new player (after an old player broke)
Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Adobeman

Before I found this topic, I tried to create a DVD Audio using the DVDA Tools, CDR Tools, etc. running step by step from the command prompt. The disc I created was recognized as DVD-A but the tracks won't play.

Then I used your GUI and it worked on the first try! Thanks for writing the code and streamlining the steps into one seamless process.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:14 PM
9th Gear

Adobeman,

Forgive me if this was posted somewhere earlier. I could not find the answer... (I have used your software and it worked great. Thanks again!) ...but, in your opinion, what is the best method of directly connecting an MP3 player to a 2006 TL? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Advanced

DVD+RW works!!

This is just something I found out and thought I'd share. Basically, I was using a "super high quality" DVD+R and DVD+RW disk on my 2006 Acura TL and was wondering why the DVD never gets detected. So I did a lot of research, but did not find any solution. I found that only DVD-Rs would work. And yes, DVD-R worked in my audio system.

So I did some playing around and finally got a DVD+RW to work in the audio system. All I had to do is change the Book Type from DVD+RW to DVD-ROM. It works!!!

I have a Liteon DVD burner and used this utility to change the booktype from DVD+RW to DVD-ROM:
http://us.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/uti...ookType135.zip

I suspect this would work on a DVD+R media as well. So the media types that I got to work are:
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+RW when booktype is changed to DVD-ROM

I hope this helps others.

Gammah
Old 01-04-2007, 04:47 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by TLWay
When you have 99 tracks under one group can you say "DVD play track 99" for example or do you have to click the next track button 99 times?
Great question. Anyone know the answer? I have not found a better way to move around the tracks.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

When you have 99 tracks under one group can you say "DVD play track 99" for example or do you have to click the next track button 99 times?
If you click previous track it will go from 1 to the last track of the same disk. So you are never more that 49 away from any track in a 99 track group. I know, I know, that's still a lot of pushes. Not sure about the voice control. Im non-nav
Old 01-05-2007, 08:27 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Adobeman
If you click previous track it will go from 1 to the last track of the same disk. So you are never more that 49 away from any track in a 99 track group. I know, I know, that's still a lot of pushes. Not sure about the voice control. Im non-nav
Thanks Adobeman. I pushed every available combination of buttons, but I was hoping that I missed something. Oh well.

BTW, CDEX and your app work great together. A while ago I had that problem with some MP3s not converting, but they all convert using CDEX. As I've read here, the trick is to pre-convert to WAV before running your app. The process is flawless now using DVD+Rs. I also want to mention that there are 2 BETA versions of CDEX (both with a "b" in the file name). Both crashed on WXP-SP2 after converting just a few songs, so I used an older version (v1.51). It still works fine for this simple conversion.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by tonynyc
Great question. Anyone know the answer? I have not found a better way to move around the tracks.
The best you can do via voice is "Play track 30". For some reason the engineers must've assumed that 30 tracks was the most anyone would have on any given CD. The idea of a 99-track DVD-A probably never occured to them.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Advanced

I have downloaded the GUI and I can drag and drop files into the program and convert. But I have a hard time burning the Image inside NERO. I am using DVD + R's could that be part of my problem why they are not playing too?

Anyone who is an expert can you try me on AIM?

Shanezam203
Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Please see post #254.

Gammah

Originally Posted by shanezam203
I have downloaded the GUI and I can drag and drop files into the program and convert. But I have a hard time burning the Image inside NERO. I am using DVD + R's could that be part of my problem why they are not playing too?

Anyone who is an expert can you try me on AIM?

Shanezam203
Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Safety Car

Shane, if you're just making a 2 channel DVD-A, I found the best and easiest program to use is DeepBurner Free. It has a small footprint, will not conflict with other apps, very user friendly and best of all, it's freeware. If you're making a 5.1 disc, use Solo.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Adobeman, I just have to thank you again! Every time I burn a new disk with 6.5 hrs worth of my fovorite tunes and go out and slip it into the car and it works it is a wonderful feeling. Limewire/Adobeman/Deepburner = priceless enjoyment
Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by pohljm
Adobeman, I just have to thank you again! Every time I burn a new disk with 6.5 hrs worth of my fovorite tunes and go out and slip it into the car and it works it is a wonderful feeling. Limewire/Adobeman/Deepburner = priceless enjoyment
awe shucks, your makin me blush...
Seriously, thanks. It's nice to hear.

The day I read this I think my head almost exploded....
Old 01-12-2007, 09:42 PM
4th Gear

Probably a stupid question

How do you change group on a DVD-A? I do not have navigation.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 09:57 PM
A-SPEC TL

hold scan+repeat
Old 01-13-2007, 01:59 PM
4th Gear

May I be so bold as to make a request ...

I am not sure why, but my MP3 are often rejected by the conversion software. Would it be possible to add a set up parameter to DVDA GUI to disable the conversion errors?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 04:23 PM
05-6MT-TL

everthing went well from the conversion, to the ISO creation to the DVD burn with Roxio - Module Name: Roxio Creator Plus - Dell Edition
Build: 2.4.32a
Serial Number: SC-204B28D
Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2005....but when I put the dvd in the OEM player in my 05TL it didn't play and then ejected.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by duckengine
everthing went well from the conversion, to the ISO creation to the DVD burn with Roxio - Module Name: Roxio Creator Plus - Dell Edition
Build: 2.4.32a
Serial Number: SC-204B28D
Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2005....but when I put the dvd in the OEM player in my 05TL it didn't play and then ejected.
I had that problem until I switched to DVD-R disks.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kankuk
I am not sure why, but my MP3 are often rejected by the conversion software. Would it be possible to add a set up parameter to DVDA GUI to disable the conversion errors?

Thanks
I had the same problem when the GUI was first tested and a good number of my MP3 files got rejected. One reason I think is because of the different encoders used for MP3s (especially downloaded from P2P sites), the decoder used was not able to recognize all of them. Ripping from the original source material (CD) to a WAV file was the alternative and possibly the best solution. Yea, I know there's music you have only on MP3 and not available elsewhere. It's just one of those things.........
Old 01-14-2007, 07:47 PM
05-6MT-TL

I had that problem until I switched to DVD-R disks.
i have DVD+R. It sounds like you have the solution.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 PM
4th Gear

I had the same problem when the GUI was first tested and a good number of my MP3 files got rejected. One reason I think is because of the different encoders used for MP3s (especially downloaded from P2P sites), the decoder used was not able to recognize all of them. Ripping from the original source material (CD) to a WAV file was the alternative and possibly the best solution. Yea, I know there's music you have only on MP3 and not available elsewhere. It's just one of those things.........
I actually ripped all these mp3 from my own collection of CDs using various versions of Apple ITunes. Over the years I went from 96kbps to 192kpbs. I noticed that the 96kbps recordings are systematically getting rejected. I still would like to have a "silent mode" option added to the GUI.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Safety Car

That's gonna be totally up to Adobeman. The GUI has been out not quite a year and I don't think changes are foreseen (but you never know). With Cirlinca Solo adding support to different formats and one of most inexpensive apps for creating DVD-A discs, that might be your best bet. See this thread. You can also check the site at Cirlinca.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Disabling the errors would cause those rejected mp3 files to not be on the DVD-A. The errors are critical in nature to the conversion.

I was very hesitant to add mp3 decoding to the GUI in the first place because:
  • the free decoders that could be incorporated into the GUI were so picky about the mp3 files. Had something like CDEx had a programming interface (API) that I could have used I would have used it. The problems with many of the mp3s that failed my testing was, plain and simple, errors within the file. That's it. CDEx, and other better tools fix those errors. Most of the time they are barely audible fixes. Also, not a single mp3 I made myself failed the decoding in the GUI. They were all mp3s from other sources.
  • I "gave in" to popularity and released "something" that I thought was better than "nothing". To this day I still think that mp3s on DVD-As are like "putting lipstick on a pig". And, I actually think mp3s directly out of my iPod via my BlitzSafe sound marginally better than the same mp3 when converted and on a DVD-A ("better" still doesn't mean "good"). So I recommend direct wired players over mp3 on any optical media. They hold a lot more, are easier navigated and leave the HU free for real multichannel discs. mp3 on data-dvds is what I call "back ups"

That's gonna be totally up to Adobeman. The GUI has been out not quite a year and I don't think changes are foreseen (but you never know). With Cirlinca Solo adding support to different formats and one of most inexpensive apps for creating DVD-A discs, that might be your best bet. See this thread. You can also check the site at Cirlinca.
Hawhyen51, Thanks as always. I've allways appreciated your support for the GUI. The GUI was a great way for me to learn some new programming techniques and build something that could really be used by people to simplify the batch process of my first release. Right now I'm not planning any updates. As you know, there are lots of utilities out there to get just about anything into a wav file. I just don't see the effort being worth it since the GUI seems to run just fine when you feed it wav files.

As you point out, Solo, at $35 USD, is a logical choice for anyone having trouble with my GUI. Especially now that they have added support for mp3, FLAC, etc. Plus it's 6 channel support is the real fun that I can't even come close to with the GUI.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Mike, IMO, the GUI is the best free app to make a DVD-A disc, albeit 2 channel. Nonetheless it does offer an alternative means for the TL community to make use of Acura's ELS. In it's current state it's easier to work with WAV files and using CDex to convert MP3s is just an extra step during the process.

You're exactly right! For those folks who have a vast collection of MP3s it only makes sense to use a commercial app like Solo.

Thanks again for the time spent developing the GUI ......
Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 AM
9th Gear

Thanks
Take a look at my (and Adobeman's) earlier posts. Convert the MP3 to WAVs with CDEX and then convert the WAVs with Adobeman's software. This will rectify that problem.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Hi. Is there a way to make a 1 channel audio? 1 channel works good for audio books, and I would like to fit twice as much on a disk. I tried editing the debug.script file and set it to one channel, but that does not appear to work. Also, Solo will not do 1 channel either. Any other ideas?

And thanks for the program. Works great for my 2 channel music.

jeff
Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
05-6MT-TL

Originally Posted by duckengine
i have DVD+R. It sounds like you have the solution.

I tried Sony DVD-R....everything works fine now.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by jknight
Hi. Is there a way to make a 1 channel audio? 1 channel works good for audio books, and I would like to fit twice as much on a disk. I tried editing the debug.script file and set it to one channel, but that does not appear to work. Also, Solo will not do 1 channel either. Any other ideas?

And thanks for the program. Works great for my 2 channel music.

jeff
Are you getting any errors ? Or is it that it just won't play in the car ?
I just ran a 1ch 44K/16 bit file through the GUI and it was fine. I haven't burned ithe ISO so I can't absolutely confirm the car will play it. But I could confirm it would work with the file.

BTW- to my recollection there isn't anything channel number related in the debug.script file. What where you changing ?

Quick Reply: Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"