Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is sounds great from the things that I have read about this program.
But I have a "noob' questions about how to burn this to disc.
I have Nero and I am confused as to how I am to burn the ISO file to the disc. I do not know what selection to make in order to create the disc. If any one can help me out it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2006, 02:36 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

i downloaded the program and i have the same question as above, cause i have no idea how to burn an iso i looked at the help options too. help please lol~
Jason
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 PM
rec
Advanced

I have Nero Express. Look under DVD Copy & Backup option. Select Burn Image To Disc. The image you want to burn is the created *.ISO file
Old 07-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

i tryed that it would'n let me burn, what do i need for this to work? if anyone has a cd that they could burn for me on dvd-audio pm me. lol.. but i have no idea what to do, and i have nero express as well.. do i need to use a special cd or burner?
~Jason
Old 07-01-2006, 05:27 PM
rec
Advanced

So what does it do when it "won't let you burn"?

You need to have a DVD (note: a CD burner IS NOT necessarily also a DVD burner) burner, blank DVD media (most here seem to have best sucess with DVD-R format), and you need to know the location of the ISO file created from Adobeman's GUI/FreeDVD programs.

Start NeroExpress StartSmart; select media type as DVD; mouse over to COPY&BACKUP; click on burn image to disc; if it asks what you want to burn, select DISC IMAGE; navigate to the directory where the ISO image is stored; you may need to lower the write speed as lower speeds can be more reliable or it may not default to what your writer supports
Old 07-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Guys got a problem. Try to install the program and it keeps saying I need to install Net Framework. Well I have tried to instasll that several times and it still keeps saying it needs to be installed!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:03 PM
rec
Advanced

What version? I think it needs net framework v1.1, NOT v2. I seem to remember an earlier thread indicating both can coexist on your machine.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sotgecho
This is sounds great from the things that I have read about this program.
But I have a "noob' questions about how to burn this to disc.
I have Nero and I am confused as to how I am to burn the ISO file to the disc. I do not know what selection to make in order to create the disc. If any one can help me out it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion
i downloaded the program and i have the same question as above, cause i have no idea how to burn an iso i looked at the help options too. help please lol~
Jason
Here's a simple and effective burner (freeware app) and was recommended when the original scripts were presented. It has a small footprint and no compatability issues and very intuitive. Give it a try. It's called DeepBurner Free. I still use it alongside Nero & Roxio.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

I installed v1.1 and it still won't work.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Does this work for WMA files?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
Does this work for WMA files?
You will need to pre-convert them to wav with some other tool. Not sure what tool does this best.
Sorry
Old 07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I installed v1.1 and it still won't work.
Could you be a bit more descriptive ? What won't work ? Does it install? Does it start up ? Any errors ?
PM me with results.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Safety Car

The program won't install. It keeps saying I need to install v1.1 and it is installed. So I can't even get the program installed.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

did you go to microsoft.com? that's whati did to get the framework installed
~Jason
Old 07-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Got the program to work guys. I also need to figure out how to clear up some disk space so I can burn it to a DVD I have. Doh!!!

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:26 PM
6th Gear

Coasters for sale

OK, got my iso image created, but so far have only managed to burn DVD's that skip or get rejected by my car completely.

First burn (Memorex 8x DVD-R) skips on every song, usually between 0 seconds and roughly 30 seconds into the song (I have had a few play longer, and a couple through to the end, but it is not necessarily repeatable). This disk plays flawlessly on my HTPC (not the one I burned it on), so I know that the iso image that I created is fine.

Second burn (Memorex 8x DVD+R) gets spit out by the Acura changer.

Third burn (Verbatim 16x DVD-R, based on recommendations from this thread) skips as bad or even worse than burn #1.

All of these were burned on a Plextor PX-740A with the latest firmware (1.02), using Nero 6.6.0.14. I burned each of them at 2.4 times speed (the drive is capable of 16x), as what I have read indicates that a slower burn should increase chances for success, and I didn't require instant gratification...

Any thoughts before I spit out any new coasters? Is DVD burning always such a hit and miss proposition? Should I burn at the speed to match the DVD? I know I can flash the drive with the Benq 1640 firmware, would this be better? Should I try something other than the Nero Express that I got with the DVD drive to burn the iso file to the DVD? Is this drive not very good (I thought I read reviews at the time I bought it that it was a pretty good drive)?

Any suggestions much appreciated!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I just made my first DVDA disc using this SW. Thanks for sharing this Adobeman. I initially used a BenQ 8x DVD+R disc but that didn't work. So I opened a brand new spine of TDK 16x DVD-R I got from Costco and it worked great.

1. I used CDeX to convert mp3 to wav
2. Used the GUI to generate the ISO
3. Used Nero to burn to DVD

I'm using a new DELL 6400 (Canada Model) with Centrino Duo to burn using the SONY DVD RW drive it came with.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bbennefeld
OK, got my iso image created, but so far have only managed to burn DVD's that skip or get rejected by my car completely.

First burn (Memorex 8x DVD-R) skips on every song, usually between 0 seconds and roughly 30 seconds into the song (I have had a few play longer, and a couple through to the end, but it is not necessarily repeatable). This disk plays flawlessly on my HTPC (not the one I burned it on), so I know that the iso image that I created is fine.

Second burn (Memorex 8x DVD+R) gets spit out by the Acura changer.

Third burn (Verbatim 16x DVD-R, based on recommendations from this thread) skips as bad or even worse than burn #1.

All of these were burned on a Plextor PX-740A with the latest firmware (1.02), using Nero 6.6.0.14. I burned each of them at 2.4 times speed (the drive is capable of 16x), as what I have read indicates that a slower burn should increase chances for success, and I didn't require instant gratification...

Any thoughts before I spit out any new coasters? Is DVD burning always such a hit and miss proposition? Should I burn at the speed to match the DVD? I know I can flash the drive with the Benq 1640 firmware, would this be better? Should I try something other than the Nero Express that I got with the DVD drive to burn the iso file to the DVD? Is this drive not very good (I thought I read reviews at the time I bought it that it was a pretty good drive)?

Any suggestions much appreciated!
I had the same problems, please refer back to my original post on May 4, 2006 (Ratso) and AdobeMan's follow-up. Read on for additional responses by both of us. I used Cool Edit Pro 2.0 to create my wav files and insert them into AdobeMan's program and they work fine, no more skipping! Good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 PM
9th Gear

WOW! AWESOME! I just created my first DVD-A with this software. It works great... a few glitches due to non-conforming MP3 files, but once that was corrected it was fine... and relatively fast also. My HP DVD burner burned the resulting ISO in about 15 minutes (the drive is a few years old). The whole project took about 45 minutes for about 90 MP3s. in 6 groups. Now all I have to do is figure out how to change groups on my 06-TL's player (no NAV).
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tonynyc
WOW! AWESOME! I just created my first DVD-A with this software. It works great... a few glitches due to non-conforming MP3 files, but once that was corrected it was fine... and relatively fast also. My HP DVD burner burned the resulting ISO in about 15 minutes (the drive is a few years old). The whole project took about 45 minutes for about 90 MP3s. in 6 groups. Now all I have to do is figure out how to change groups on my 06-TL's player (no NAV).
Hold the SCAN and RPT button down till you hear the beep.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:20 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ratso
I had the same problems, please refer back to my original post on May 4, 2006 (Ratso) and AdobeMan's follow-up. Read on for additional responses by both of us. I used Cool Edit Pro 2.0 to create my wav files and insert them into AdobeMan's program and they work fine, no more skipping! Good luck.
I had read your posts, but didn't think it was the same issue as mine, as I was using wav files that I had ripped from my CD's using EAC on the same computer from which I was building and burning. Plus the fact that the dvd played flawlessly on another computer made me think that the iso file with the ripped wav's were fine, and just the burning itself was causing me grief.

I'll give CDEx a try though, and see if that helps...

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
9th Gear

"Hold the SCAN and RPT button down till you hear the beep."

Hawhyen51,

Thanks. I did see that in an earlier post, but it didn't work for me at first.
Since you reiterated this, I tried it again and it worked. I didn't realize that I had to hold the buttons for so long. I appreciate your help.

Adobeman,

The application is working fine. Thanks again for the effort.

BTW…
I haven't decided if I prefer to use the groups or not, so I am burning one disc each way. RANDOM only works within a single group, so multiple groups are not the best option if you intend on using random play for the 99 songs.

I am using Sony DVD+R, and they are working perfectly. However, I have received two different application errors in the ISO creation process. The first is a bitrate error while loading some songs into the application. This is rectified by downloading the song at a lower bitrate. The second error occurs when the application is converting the songs to WAVs. I forget the syntax in the error, but the fix is the same. Download the song at a different bitrate (look for the same song with a different file size), and start over. Don’t ignore either error. You will not be able to continue creating the ISO until the “bad” songs are either removed or replaced.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
9th Gear

P.S.
I have an HP DVD burner (with HP software) to burn the ISOs. In my experience, HP burners / software have the least compatibility problems. (Nope. I don't work for HP)
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bbennefeld
I had read your posts, but didn't think it was the same issue as mine, as I was using wav files that I had ripped from my CD's using EAC on the same computer from which I was building and burning. Plus the fact that the dvd played flawlessly on another computer made me think that the iso file with the ripped wav's were fine, and just the burning itself was causing me grief.

I'll give CDEx a try though, and see if that helps...

Thanks!
Well... Downloaded CDEx, ripped a CD using it, and then used its' file comparison to compare a couple of tracks to the ones I ripped using EAC, and they compared exactly, so I don't think that is my issue.

Still looking.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Adobeman, you are amazing..!
I've just burned a dvd-a with like 80+ songs and it works flawlessly.
Thanks for sharing your great work with us!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks a ton Adobeman..!! I just created my first DVD-A using your tool and it plays in my 05 TL flawlessly. Thank you very much..

Has someone tried to burn a 8GB DVD? Now I am just getting greedy. I am going to buy a new DVD spindle, so just wanted to check before I do that.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Works fine, great piece of software, anyway to change the title so it doesn't say DVDA on our displays?

P.S. - If you need any help testing, I'll be glad.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by prash
Thanks a ton Adobeman..!! I just created my first DVD-A using your tool and it plays in my 05 TL flawlessly. Thank you very much..

Has someone tried to burn a 8GB DVD? Now I am just getting greedy. I am going to buy a new DVD spindle, so just wanted to check before I do that.
There are a few members who have successfully burned DL discs. Run a search on DVD-A or DL discs.

Originally Posted by rahulkumar
Works fine, great piece of software, anyway to change the title so it doesn't say DVDA on our displays?

P.S. - If you need any help testing, I'll be glad.
At this time, I don't think there's anyway to change the display. If it detects a DVD-A format disc, that's what the display will read out. Possibly firmware but don't count on it.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Adobeman,
Great application! I was searching for a plug-in MP3 player until I ran across this thread, you just saved me a couple hundred bucks plus the headache of the install.

Experience
GUI is easy to navigate and use. Some songs would not convert from MP3 to WAV. The first time I received the error, I ran the process again and the file converted. Since then all songs that error'ed out had to be removed to create the ISO. I've been using my buddy's HP LightScribe burner with Verbatim DVD+R 8x LS discs. The first 30 or so tracks play fine (although some songs are truncated). The middle tracks are hit or miss, some play for a few seconds and others can't be read at all. The higher tracks seem to read ok, but the sporadic truncation of the songs is very random. I will try some standard Verbatims the next time I'm out and about.

Despite these minor challenges, I LOVE IT!!! We would not be able to enjoy this much music on a single disc if it wasn't for you. Darn I would even pay to have a subscription service for future releases this thing is so cool.

THANKS!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Are 24/96 WAV supported as source files?

I too hate MP3... yuck.

In fact, I can't even stand the sound of RedBook CD either..

Consequently, I've been building a library of LP recordings at 24/96 WAV files. They have no metadata, nada, zilch. Just the music ma'am and the file names.

Will this tool support 24/96 WAV files as input?

I've been thinking of buying Discwelder Bronze for a while but I haven't had the time to play with that yet.

Oh, btw, thanks. That's one neat piece of work.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was able to burn a DVD-A successfully using the program, but when I tried playing the DVD in my TL this morning, it just plays each track for about 1/2 seconds and after awhile, spits out the DVD. I burned all the songs (~71 tracks) into group 1.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Thank you Adobeman!!
I burned 2 discs and both worked great in my TL. This is a great tool!! thank you!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:51 PM
4th Gear

Hey Adobeman...

Great application. Here's a quick question for you though. How did you get the "DVDA by Adobeman" to display on your Radio display (i.e. in your signature)? I'd like to at least have a DVDA disc title display so that I know what disc I'm listening to.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:59 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by bkeddinger
How did you get the "DVDA by Adobeman" to display on your Radio display (i.e. in your signature)? I'd like to at least have a DVDA disc title display so that I know what disc I'm listening to.

Thanks!

It's a photo shop goof. It doesn't really display and DVDA text
Old 07-26-2006, 01:42 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Great program. I absolutely love having so much music on one little DVD. Two questions:

1. Is it possible to rename the group names to something else other than Group1, etc...?
2. Is there anyway to modify this process to grab other audio formats? Other than converting to mp3s first?

And thanks again for all the work and support you've put into this!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

i have a problem, it won't let me burn a dvd-a because it won't let me burn as a dvd i have the program nero, do i need a special program to read the iso file?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion
i have a problem, it won't let me burn a dvd-a because it won't let me burn as a dvd i have the program nero, do i need a special program to read the iso file?
In nero, I believe you have to "Open" a file and choose the ISO.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by tnmg
Great program. I absolutely love having so much music on one little DVD. Two questions:

1. Is it possible to rename the group names to something else other than Group1, etc...?
I don't think so. I think that's just the way the DVD-A spec is. All DVD-As I've seen are this way.
Originally Posted by tnmg
2. Is there anyway to modify this process to grab other audio formats? Other than converting to mp3s first?.
And thanks again for all the work and support you've put into this!
Well, with time and/or money there is always a way. I had thought about adding other kinds of files but finding good free converters that could integrate well into the program proved difficult. There are many good freeware stand-alone converters that will do the task.

Also I'd convert ASFs, WMAs, etc to WAV, NOT mp3. mp3 is just another lossy compressed format and my GUI will just make them WAV files before compiling the disk. That will just put another "loss" into the music.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
TL in the IE

Adobeman, your program rocks! I got 88 tracks onto one DVD-A. At this rate I should be able to get about 44 CDs worth of music in my TL. Thanks, man.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

when i put the cd in the cd player the only thing it says is "disc disc" than the cd ejects from my cd player..... can someone help me with a step by step please?

The cd's I used was Fujifilm dvd+R I also used Maxell Dvd+R
*Is there suppose to be a special disc?*
* I am using a Sony DVD rewritable.
*I am also using Nero Burning.

***** PLEASE HELP ME STEP BY STEP PLEASE! LOL*****
~Jason

Quick Reply: Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"