3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have installed a type-S spoiler on my 05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:14 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good. Just e-mail Tim at Hondacuraworld about this lip.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
I wont know until I get the spoiler next week but have to admit, I will be considering a "no drill" install. I like the spoiler yet like the option of removal in the future. No spoiler for 3.5 years yet for $95 who can pass up a factory type-S lip.
If their is enough good surface/contact area for additional 3M, I will make it happen. It's all in the prep.

PS - Looks good Steve
Thanks KJ..........I did the 2 hole drilling for a couple reasons:
I don't want to remove the lip - ever....
I don't want anyone else to remove the lip.......ever.....LOL

I imagine you could do 3M all around - I have some pics of the underneath of the lip up above if that helps - Good Luck
Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I call to Hondacuraworld to place the order and they told me I will receive it about 3 to 4 weeks ,is this how long it takes to order from them? I hang up and order it at my dealer for $20 more and will pick it up in 3 days. This my first time ordering from them and heard alot of good feedback in this forum but 3 to 4 weeks to receive it will not earn my money.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Kevin 36
I call to Hondacuraworld to place the order and they told me I will receive it about 3 to 4 weeks ,is this how long it takes to order from them? I hang up and order it at my dealer for $20 more and will pick it up in 3 days. This my first time ordering from them and heard alot of good feedback in this forum but 3 to 4 weeks to receive it will not earn my money.
I have been dealing with Scott from AOE - ships everything out to me same day items are paid and I have them in a few days - all UPS trackable.......great great service.

It came to 112.60
Old 01-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I wont know until I get the spoiler next week but have to admit, I will be considering a "no drill" install. I like the spoiler yet like the option of removal in the future. No spoiler for 3.5 years yet for $95 who can pass up a factory type-S lip.
If their is enough good surface/contact area for additional 3M, I will make it happen. It's all in the prep.
KJSmitty, please keep us updated!

SteveP66, great job man.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:07 PM
7th Gear

SteveP looks good, great job
Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Talking

Originally Posted by lporte75
SteveP looks good, great job
Originally Posted by datmrman
KJSmitty, please keep us updated!

SteveP66, great job man.

Thanks guys - I'm really happy with the way it came out.
And proud as shit that I did it myself ;-)
Old 01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
in light of the concern of having to drill on the trunk, has anybody thought of using JB Weld?

http://jbweld.net/products/index.php

is kind of like a super strong super glue. might work right?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Drilling two holes really isn't that bad - honest........why so concerned?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
i just feel reluctant thats all. besides, in the event one sells their TL for a replacement, the new car most likely will not need the TL-S spoiler unless we are getting a non-S 07-up TL right?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveP66
Drilling two holes really isn't that bad - honest........why so concerned?
True,

My concern is not the drilling by any means. I have been "spoilerless" for 3.5 years and never really felt I would like it. The new type-s spoiler is a little appealing, and the $95 cost made it a "try-it" purchase for me.. I'd just rather not drill in the event I find myself disappointed with it in the short term. Kinda like the reactions to the BSM's..

I actually received mine yesterday afternoon. It definitely looks like one could use 3M in the place of the bolts/clips. If I like it and the 3M only install comes off, I will have the hardware to bolt on at that time.

Now I just need the weather to warm up for a good install day....

Cheers
Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Ok, did anyone install/upgrade to the heavier duty trunk Torsion Springs? I'm sure the trunk does not open the way it use to with the added weight of the spoiler. And how much are the springs?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Ok, did anyone install/upgrade to the heavier duty trunk Torsion Springs? I'm sure the trunk does not open the way it use to with the added weight of the spoiler. And how much are the springs?
No springs needed - it was one thing I watched for after the install and I can tell you the trunk still works the same as it did before.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
WDP Director of R & D

I too was concerned about this and noticed that "part #s" for the springs were not listed via the website I purchased from..

The trunk itself just pops up, it doesn't actually hold itself up until completely open. Given the angle etc. the additional weight shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the verification SteveP66.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

Hey I did mine with the silver they put out for the type s u can barely tell the diff in colors. Ill post some pics tomorrow, I did the whole 7 hole thing to hold it in place. no biggy just used some masking tape paint drill and silicone only thing i got ripped off on is the hardware i didnt receive. I think delray acura is a piece of shit everytime i order from them i get trashed boxes never knowing what im missing =( but i subbed other nuts to hold it in place
Old 01-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

No springs needed - it was one thing I watched for after the install and I can tell you the trunk still works the same as it did before.
I too was concerned about this and noticed that "part #s" for the springs were not listed via the website I purchased from..

The trunk itself just pops up, it doesn't actually hold itself up until completely open. Given the angle etc. the additional weight shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the verification SteveP66..

Right I'm sure the trunk pops open but it doesn't stay open that subtle 3-4 inches upon popping open like it did before the addition of the spoiler or am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong cuz thats more money in my pocket.

Basically when I added a spoiler to my previous TL the trunk would still pop open but would appear closed until you got close and lifted it open.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Safety Car

elegant ur right i thought it was just me but it def sits down now it doesnt stay open a couple of inches like the way it used to
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
elegant ur right i thought it was just me but it def sits down now it doesnt stay open a couple of inches like the way it used to
Yup so that means we got to get the heavier duty torsion springs cuz I always like making sure my car looks factory with any addition.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Order my lip today...great price ...$89. + $ 4. shipping...from Tim here is the site http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Mercha...egory_Code=ATL
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Yup so that means we got to get the heavier duty torsion springs cuz I always like making sure my car looks factory with any addition.
Unless you're worried about that one person that runs around measuring trunk "sprung" measurements, it will not be worth the time or cost of installing the springs.. (My opinion only - and I'm picky)
Besides, it takes a special tool for the spring install.

Measured at the aft, my trunk pops up 2 and 1/4 of an inch "stock". With the spoiler on it pops up 1/2 an inch - plenty.

Now, being a guy somewhat like yourself, if you find a part number and cost for the springs, please stop back and fill us in.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Thanks guys - I'm really happy with the way it came out.
And proud as shit that I did it myself ;-)
OK SteveP66,

I'm on board now. After looking over the spoiler not to mention coming to the conclusion that I won't remotely "dislike" it,,,, let the drilling commence!

I believe an all 3M tape install is possible. But given the rigidity of the spoiler and the fact that it doesn't quite lay on the car perfectly, IE requires some flexing/adjustment in order for it to fit snugly, I too now think drilling the holes and using the hardware is the better install.

Hopefully I will get it mounted this weekend.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Unless you're worried about that one person that runs around measuring trunk "sprung" measurements, it will not be worth the time or cost of installing the springs.. (My opinion only - and I'm picky)

Measured at the aft, my trunk pops up 2 and 1/4 of an inch "stock". With the spoiler on it pops up 1/2 an inch - plenty.

Now, being a guy somewhat like yourself, if you find a part number and cost for the springs, please stop back and fill us in.

Thanks
Same here - checked tonight when I got home springs up 1/2 inch. It's open it's all I need.........
Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

OK SteveP66,

I'm on board now. After looking over the spoiler not to mention coming to the conclusion that I won't remotely "dislike" it,,,, let the drilling commence!

I believe an all 3M tape install is possible. But given the rigidity of the spoiler and the fact that it doesn't quite lay on the car perfectly, IE requires some flexing/adjustment in order for it to fit snugly, I too now think drilling the holes and using the hardware is the better install.

Hopefully I will get it mounted this weekend.

Cheers

COOL !!!!! I made a template for myself - this made it pretty easy. Oh and I also covered the part of the trunk where the spoiler was going in that 3M low tack blue painters tape. Once I had the tape there I could position the spoiler and trace a line around it so I knew where to place the template. Tape also protects when you drill......my two cents worth !!!!

Used only the two bolts and a little 3M tape..........
Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
2006 TL RBP AT w/Navi

Originally Posted by TL1999
looks good. Just e-mail Tim at Hondacuraworld about this lip.
Hi TL1999,

could you let us know how much Tim sale the lip for?

thanks!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
2006 TL RBP AT w/Navi

Originally Posted by c4accord
Hi TL1999,

could you let us know how much Tim sale the lip for?

thanks!
Nevermind, I saw the group buy on their website... Royle Blue is not a TL-S color...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Thanks
For my 03 it was another $30 bux and 10 mt. install with the special tool that you talk of.

I'll find out how much it is on this car.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

I was hoping you would try the install with just double sided tape. Oh well, let us now how your install went. I just ordered mine!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys, I can confirm that you DO NOT NEED TO DRILL holes in your trunk to install the spoiler! You can just remove the 7 bolts/screws and use 3M double sided tape. If you don't feel that the tape will be strong enough you can use adhesive along with the tape for a stronger bond. Also, like stated before, you don't need any springs either. The spoiler doesn't weigh much at all, won't affect opening/closing the trunk. And finally, for those of you who have TL colors that are different than the Type-S colors, just get it painted! For those with Satin Silver Metallic TLs, Alabaster Silver is not much different. I bought the Type-S spoiler and the side mirror w/blinkers and I don't see any difference at all!!! Good luck.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:53 AM
should i spend more in

For my 03 it was another $30 bux and 10 mt. install with the special tool that you talk of.

I'll find out how much it is on this car.
:Hijack: Sorry to do this in the thread, but Elegant's PM box is full and he hasn't responded to my emails. Elegant, I sent payment 2 weeks ago for that wood grain steering wheel and have yet to receive it or the tracking number. Please contact me about that, you have my number in our PM's. I would appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by Ac Man
Hey guys, I can confirm that you DO NOT NEED TO DRILL holes in your trunk to install the spoiler! You can just remove the 7 bolts/screws and use 3M double sided tape. If you don't feel that the tape will be strong enough you can use adhesive along with the tape for a stronger bond. Also, like stated before, you don't need any springs either. The spoiler doesn't weigh much at all, won't affect opening/closing the trunk. And finally, for those of you who have TL colors that are different than the Type-S colors, just get it painted! For those with Satin Silver Metallic TLs, Alabaster Silver is not much different. I bought the Type-S spoiler and the side mirror w/blinkers and I don't see any difference at all!!! Good luck.
Post some pics of your spoiler installed on your TL. I'd like to see it with the tape installation.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Finally Pics with no drilling

Mine didn't come with directions but I managed to get it to fit using sticky tape and no drilling. It won't come off either.

I read in a magazine, "The higher the spoiler, the more horsepower you get".
Old 01-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Haha...LOL......how much more hp did u gain?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Post some pics of your spoiler installed on your TL. I'd like to see it with the tape installation.
Yes please!

Crook, I didn't even know the lip spoiler could be placed up there! More pictures please! I would like to see a side shot.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by Superb
:Hijack: Sorry to do this in the thread, but Elegant's PM box is full and he hasn't responded to my emails. Elegant, I sent payment 2 weeks ago for that wood grain steering wheel and have yet to receive it or the tracking number. Please contact me about that, you have my number in our PM's. I would appreciate it.
Cleard my PM box and sent you a PM with my phone number.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
Yes please!

Crook, I didn't even know the lip spoiler could be placed up there! More pictures please! I would like to see a side shot.

Datmrman,
I was actually trying to get a few laughs by laying the spoiler up there and snapping some pics. It made me laugh because some people would intentionally do that.

I really installed it where it's suppose to go. Here's what I did.

I went to Walmart and bought a small pack of 3M tape for around $4 and then found a larger pack at Discount Auto for around $7. It's hard to find anything stronger than this 3M molding tape. I used most of the tape and ended up with about two feet of leftovers after the install.

I removed all of the hardware and sticky tabs but left the this pad strip along the front edge of the spoiler.

I cleaned the underside of the spoiler where my tape will go and then ran strips of tape lengthwise. Two strips down the center and one at the edges. You have to double up the front edge strip of tap so it will be able to make contact with the trunk lid surface. These pics don't show the doubled up tape strips.

Now lay it on the trunk and test fit it. After I centered it, I used a wax pencil to and made six alignment marks on the spoiler's edge and trunk lid.

Clean your trunk lid with alcohol and buff it dry with a clean cotton cloth. Peel the red tape backing off of all of the smaller pieces of tape. Start peeling the red backing on the ends of the longer strip and "pig tail" them or tape them to the outside of the spoiler so you can tug on them later. Center and align the spoiler on the trunk and press it in place. Press firmly and downward in the middle of the spoiler so the tape has good contact with the trunk. Work your way outward as you pull the rest of the red backing off of the tape. I set gallon paint cans on the spoiler for over an hour to make sure it had time to adhere. It takes a lot of force to unstick the 3M tape from a clean surface. I tried pulling on the spoiler but I don't think it's going anywhere.

Done with this install which took between 15 to 30 minutes.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

you got me!

Thanks for the awesome write-up, as always!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Very nice. Now if I can figure out a way to seal up my 2 holes I drilled for my A-Spec one before I order this eventually. Hmmm.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Very nice. Now if I can figure out a way to seal up my 2 holes I drilled for my A-Spec one before I order this eventually. Hmmm.
The easiest thing to do is to paint any bare metal with some touch up paint and then tape over the holes with the 3M tape you would use to hold the spoiler on. 3M has a wider tape at some of the autoparts stors that is almost an inch wide in case you don't think the thin stuff would cover the entire hole.

Just remember that you'll have to section off the tape that you apply to the underside of the spoiler to account for the patches of tape sealing off the holes on the trunk.
Most importantly again, remember to clean off any surfaces with alcohol and buff off any residue before appying the tape.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Retired and Loving It

Looks great Crook. Very nice install and pics!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

just order the lip...can not wait....

Quick Reply: I have installed a type-S spoiler on my 05 TL