2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
I submit that MT isn't just a preference, it's literaly more fun.
to the whole post but this line in particular times 1,000,000.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
CVTs are going to be the norm in about 10 years. They can be amazingly efficient and the engineers have finally figured how to make the crazy belts they use stand up for a reasonable amount of time. In the past this has been the main stumbling block.

For the average family commuter car I suspect the arrangement that will be most common in 10 to 15 years will be a small gas motor powering the rear wheels through a CVT and one or two electric motors turning the front wheels with no transmission. The front wheels will only be powered at low speed and heavy acceleration (and possibly as part of the stability control system) while the rear wheels will handle cruising at higher speeds nearly exclusively. It doesn't take a ton of HP to keep a car moving once it's at speed so a 100 to 150 HP motor would be plenty for all but the largest vehicles while the electric front wheels can supply 300+ ft lbs of instantly available torque the get the thing moving.

It's pretty different from what we see now but I'll bet in 20 years that cars built on such a setup will be substantially faster than today's cars while using much less gas.
FWD is the future NOT RWD or AWD. FWD is more efficient and a lighter setup. Who knows maybe even Mercedes and BMW will migrate to FWD (like Audi).
Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I was referring to the old TL-S' MT. Although I presume the new MT is also non SH-AWD compatible.

Just going by what Jeff at TOV is saying, doesn't look like we'll ever see an MT. If there was some hint at getting one next year or getting one in a Type-S, I don't think any of us could complain about not seeing it in the '10. But like he said, enthusiasts who want the MT are typically also the early adopters.

Any proof to that in your experience Colin? Did MT sales go down over the lifespan of the first gen?
Hmm, had to think a bit on that one. I'd say that since the total sales drop as the car cycles through it's life, MT sales follow in suit. But, since every car sells eventually, the total number is probably dictated by how many they make. Maybe Honda "knows" how many potential buyers that have in their pocket, and based on this, they only want to gear up production of a manual for 2 model years? If they are only going to make 3000 of the car, it's better to 'cram' it into 2 years vs.making 500 a year for 5 years?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by (Cj)
FWD is the future NOT RWD or AWD. FWD is more efficient and a lighter setup. Who knows maybe even Mercedes and BMW will migrate to FWD (like Audi).
I will agree with you that FWD is more optimal in a single powerplant vehicle. However, if you're going to have 2 or 3 sources of power (1 electric motor for each wheel), it's a lot easier to not have them all mechanically linked together. I don't think electricity is going sufficiently portable in the next 10 to 20 years to be viable in a family car. Until one can drive across the country without having to stop for more than 20 minutes every 4 or 5 hours, pure electric vehicles are going to have a limited appeal.

Alternatively the electric motors could be in the back and the axle and differential could be eliminated but by putting them in the front and having them pivot with the wheels, you can eliminate all the mechanical complexity and parasitic loss of the CV joints.

I called this as far back as 1999 and my expectation has not changed at all. The time table was pushed back by W rolling back all the scheduled CAFE increases but I still think it's going to happen. Time will tell.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

I'm very happy with the I4 MT. A V6 is just icing on the cake. The current I4 is a rather large engine in its own right and I have no problem speeding ahead of most other cars, and it's a lot of fun to drive. If Acura decides to do what they have done with the TL and offer a type-s for the MMC I'll be happy to wait.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow! Coming from the mighty CJ! Have you had an epiphany lately?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWD is pushed by companies like Honda because it's cheaper for them, don't think its for alturistic reasons. Asking the front tires to move the car, direct it, and hold traction is just too much... just drive a 2008 TL Type-S MT. Audi moved from FWD to AWD a long time ago (a path Acura is now going down) and they only keep the FWD models in the States because they can show low lease/purchase payments and to keep a mooch model.

I know of not one luxury car that is FWD nor any sports cars (and the Civic Mugen does not qualify). Even Honda had the common sense to put RWD into the S2000 making that the only RWD car they make.

FWD is great for utilitarian/econo boxes but that's about it... IMO. And in Europe the TSX is an econo box (as much as Honda makes one).

The day BMW or Mercedes makes a FWD car and sells it in the U.S. is the day I will buy a Renault Fuego and take it ice racing.

Last edited by CL6; 02-13-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh, wait. I get it! Us red text the next time.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

FWD is more efficient, and that's a fact. The future is small engines high efficiency and FWD it FTW. RWD, creates more losses, more weight, and it's less efficient. RWD is still supreme for high power engines, but the fact is engines are getting smaller not bigger, meaning FWD is a better option.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Racer

I'm very happy with the I4 MT. A V6 is just icing on the cake. The current I4 is a rather large engine in its own right and I have no problem speeding ahead of most other cars, and it's a lot of fun to drive. If Acura decides to do what they have done with the TL and offer a type-s for the MMC I'll be happy to wait.
you and i think alike.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
TL-S had to deal with the same problems and managed.

Bottom line, if they cared enough to create a new MT solely for the SH-AWD TL (I doubt even 5% will opt for the MT in that boat of a car) there should be no reason not to recycle an MT for the V6 TSX. Its a shame. But whats done is done. Won't stop me from going out and at least test driving the V6.
The AWD distributes the torque, taking away the problem of torque steer, so the problem of power torquing the front wheels on the TSX FWD version only would still be a problem?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acura is sooo ahead of the curve on FWD.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

In the case of the Audi A4 going from FWD to AWD seems to result in a decrease of 2 MPG and with Infiniti going from RWD to AWD results in a 1 MPG penalty. For the CR-V FWD to AWD you get 1 MPG less. To me, to have a better balanced, better handling car I'd give up driving 17 to 34 miles less per tank. Plus tire wear in FWD cars is higher than with the other modes of locomotion.

Like I said... econo boxes and vans you'll do fine but for everything else... no way!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Instructor

I would naturaly assume MT is coming next year but it's the fact that the IS350 doesn't come in manual that has me scared. Acura might be realizing some same reality as Lexus.

They wouldn't hold back a manual on account of torque steer. They clearly believe torque steer isn't a problem.

I hate automatic for the same reason it's less safe; it disengages the driver and leaves them in a relaxed sedate stupor. I love manual because no matter how tired I might be it wakes me up.

Also this might be obvious but maybe some people are unaware; the awesome thing about manual is you can make the engine produce as much horsepower as you want the exact moment you want it, so suppose there is some slow asshole doddling along, you can drop it in third and speed around him. With an automatic you have to bury you foot in the floor and wait a while for the car to figure out what's going on, not to mention the power suckage that occurs due to the AT itself. I submit that MT isn't just a preference, it's literaly more fun.
TOTALLY AGREE, Paddle shifters is like eating at McDonalds, it might get the job done, but you are nowhere near as satisfied. I think the IS 350 had drivetrain concerns (clutch) and that is the reason it did not come out with a manual.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

AWD is the best. It provides most of the traction of 4wd without the added weight, and most of improved handling of RWD without the loss of traction. FWD is an economy setup. The physics of pulling and directing with the same weels will always prevent it from being optimum.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I think it's funny that when the RL was dying they brought the TL up to take it's place and now that the TL is struggling they're bringing the TSX up to take it's place. Oh the irony lol.

Anyway, I don't think the TSX or TL should have increased in size as much as they did. The TSX was already the perfect size before they made it 3G TL sized. All they needed to do was increase the width to make room for a V6. The TL was already nearly the size of the 5 series and ES and CTS. It didn't need to increase in size 6 inches to be nearly the size of the 7 series and LS. The RL was the only Acura that needed to grow. The RL is about 6 inches too small to be a flagship.
2G TSX is 186.1 inch while 3G TL was over 189inch with 75ich width. Infact Type-S 3G TL is one of the worst car for SF bay area. It sits too low with big front overhangs. It always hit the ground even in slow speed for up and down topography.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL6
In the case of the Audi A4 going from FWD to AWD seems to result in a decrease of 2 MPG and with Infiniti going from RWD to AWD results in a 1 MPG penalty. For the CR-V FWD to AWD you get 1 MPG less. To me, to have a better balanced, better handling car I'd give up driving 17 to 34 miles less per tank. Plus tire wear in FWD cars is higher than with the other modes of locomotion.

Like I said... econo boxes and vans you'll do fine but for everything else... no way!
It's not about which is better handling. We're talking about which is a more efficient setup and that would be FWD. Your own example proves that
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
2G TSX is 186.1 inch while 3G TL was over 189inch with 75ich width. Infact Type-S 3G TL is one of the worst car for SF bay area. It sits too low with big front overhangs. It always hit the ground even in slow speed for up and down topography.
The fact is the TSX's exterior dimensions are greater than most vehicles in it's class and sadly it's interior has very little to show for it. The same can be said of the TL. Both should have stayed around the same size as their predecessors.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
The fact is the TSX's exterior dimensions are greater than most vehicles in it's class and sadly it's interior has very little to show for it. The same can be said of the TL. Both should have stayed around the same size as their predecessors.
TSX is not that big. Even Audi A4 is at 185 inch. lexus IS-250 is 180inch but is too cramped. TSX has the right size for 94 cubic foot of interior space. New C Class look so thin and lacks road presence. TL is the most inefficienct design. TL width is even more than full size cars. I bet Cd of TL is among the worse in class. So very inefficient at higher speeds.
Interms of RIMs TSX is now ahead of the pack by providing 17inch and 18inch as standard on 4cylinder and Six Cylinder.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
It also doesn't help that most younger people these days don't know how to drive manual cars because they didn't grow up with them. Autos have been the mainstay for a while now, so less people are learning how to drive on manuals. There just aren't enough people who change their minds later in life and want to learn how to drive manual. Enthusiasts are a very small part of the population, obviously.
When I first learned to drive many many many years ago my parents and almost all my relatives did not have cars with manual transmission. My first car was a 1971 Super Beetle that had MT. My brother taught me how to drive it on the roads in Bergen County, NJ. I thought I would never get the hang of it but overtime it bacame easier. I taught my daughter, who is the same age as you, to drive manual. She prefers automatic but she knows MT. Most of nieces and nephews drive cars with manual.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:51 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
to the whole post but this line in particular times 1,000,000.
WOW- we both agree on something.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Well MT is more fun *IF* you live somewhere where it can be used to its fullest potential. Where I live is very, very urban w/ a red light or stop sign literally every few feet. On top of that traffic is a nightmare, and on top of that yet I have a semi-bad left knee that gets worse as I get older. So the rewards of an MT can't be experienced, and it is basically pointless for me to own one at this stage of the game. A second car, sure, but not as my daily driver.

An MT works very well but it is an old technology, and one that is costly to repair if not treated right [the clutch]. I totally agree that the CVT, DSG or whatever else comes along is the wave of the future, and I find these transmissions very exciting...they are a great compromise and the best of both worlds IMO.

Here is the official press release in Chicago on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK1vW...eature=related

Okay, so...is it sick of me to already be making plans to possibly sell my 4 cyl outright and get the V6 later this year?!? Okay okay I'm only joking...sort of.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 AM
JDM Addict

that's funny.
as he is describing who the TSX is built for, they a picture of an RL interior...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

If people only bought cars which we efficient the Element would sell in greater numbers. I'm not interested in buying the most efficient car. Being efficient isn't always about being fun to drive, about handling well, or about performance.

Next time I'm in the market for an econo box or van I'll be interested... Acura has no business selling cars based on how efficient they are... being a luxury line they have to take it all into account... that means RWD or AWD.

It's not about which is better handling. We're talking about which is a more efficient setup and that would be FWD. Your own example proves that

Old 02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
When I first learned to drive many many many years ago my parents and almost all my relatives did not have cars with manual transmission. My first car was a 1971 Super Beetle that had MT. My brother taught me how to drive it on the roads in Bergen County, NJ. I thought I would never get the hang of it but overtime it bacame easier. I taught my daughter, who is the same age as you, to drive manual. She prefers automatic but she knows MT. Most of nieces and nephews drive cars with manual.
2 of my friends drive MT cars. It was funny listening to one of them, who just learned about 2 years ago. She kept complaining that she was stalling the car in traffic and people were getting pissed off. Ha She did eventually learn, though, on her new car at the time which was a Mazda 3. She keep saying I should learn, since I like cars and whatnot, but it just seems like a pain to me. Plus I might be moving somewhere with a lot of hills/mountains, and I just don't want to deal with that as a new MT driver. I did think about taking lessons, though, before I purchased my auto TSX 4 years ago.

My bf doesn't know how to drive stick either, so that would potentially become an issue if we decide to get hitched, possibly sometime this year.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Racer

I forced myself to learn.. got myself a manual civic back in college with lots and lots of hills. Suffice it to say, I learned quickly.. lol.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Driving a MT means you can drive any type of vehicle out there. What if you get stuck and there's only a MT for you to drive? There are some basic skills everyone should know... driving a stick is one of them. You might go your entire life and never need to know but it's better to know and not need to use it than to need to use it and not know it.

2 of my friends drive MT cars. It was funny listening to one of them, who just learned about 2 years ago. She kept complaining that she was stalling the car in traffic and people were getting pissed off. Ha She did eventually learn, though, on her new car at the time which was a Mazda 3. She keep saying I should learn, since I like cars and whatnot, but it just seems like a pain to me. Plus I might be moving somewhere with a lot of hills/mountains, and I just don't want to deal with that as a new MT driver. I did think about taking lessons, though, before I purchased my auto TSX 4 years ago.

My bf doesn't know how to drive stick either, so that would potentially become an issue if we decide to get hitched, possibly sometime this year.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:23 PM
it's a car-drive it

You have not given it a chance-Yes in the beginning it can be a pain but once you get the hang of it- it is terrific.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

Driving AT is like eating cheesecake without the strawberries. It's fine but not nearly as satisfying.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Driving AT is like eating cheesecake without the strawberries. It's fine but not nearly as satisfying.
U dont say..

all this talk about a 3.5 v6 in 09 tsx might cause a lot of Hula
Just out of curiosity what then would happen to the 3.5 TL -S, they wud need to put a V8 or a Bigger V6 in the TL.......

it seems likely that Acura may attract younger buyers but loose buyers in the Larger TL section since they took the CL away.
Not many youngerz buy the RL.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Racer

How do you think the performance will be with the V6 TSX still having the FWD? Is it better to have the AWD and RWD with so much power?

Most cars are built with autos. There is a chance that you might end up needing to drive a manual but the chance may be slim. I agree, you will miss some extra power and the enjoyment of having more control of the car.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Banned

The above post prompts me to wonder what auto reviews will say about the V6 model. The big criticism of the '09 was the electric steering. Most '09 drivers adapt after a few weeks but the reviewers didn't have the car that long so they claimed the car had no on-center feel and that it lacked responsiveness.

I suspect that with the V6 model also seeming overly sensitive, numb, and a FWD they will claim that the car is difficult to control durring a hard acceleration and that it's all around unpredictable with an open throttle. They will say that it's a good value but that it lacks the refinement and/or nuance of other cars in the class. It's good for passing but not tracking.

I'll disagree but that's what I believe they will say.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
Maybe Honda "knows" how many potential buyers that have in their pocket, and based on this, they only want to gear up production of a manual for 2 model years? If they are only going to make 3000 of the car, it's better to 'cram' it into 2 years vs.making 500 a year for 5 years?
God, I hate quoting myself, but this is an interesting read on efficiencies of mass production and how the Honda business model is being used as an example of how it 'should' be done!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Automa...-14367968.html
Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Manual might be niche but it's not niche-niche. I still expect satisfaction in 2011.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 PM
tal
Advanced

Tire size?

Anyone know the tire size for the 18" wheels?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 PM
tal
Advanced

Found it...

235/45/18 V-rated
Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 AM
Advanced

TSX V6 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_E8qNzM4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpZSW...eature=related

Last edited by zxxxboy; 02-16-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I am going to wait until I drive it to make my judgement. I hope it drives like a TSX. Granted I have yet to drive an 09 but the 1st gen was one of the most entertaining drives I've had in a 4 door. If the V6 comes in Milano Red that may sway my decision....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

OMG! the V6 TSX has hood struts and not the prop rod! All this extra weight over the front wheels will ruin the handling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97KU4nZP0Gg&NR=1
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Will this have a negative or positive effect of '09 resale values?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Will this have a negative or positive effect of '09 resale values?
As long as the price rises enough it won't hurt the older cars resale value.

Quick Reply: 2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed