Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Not touchy...just dislike ignorant "opinions."
Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Edmunds.com has the 2010 TSX V6 Priced at $34k MSRP
http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx/2010/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cvehicledata%2 3%23-1%23%23-1~~nf12||4163757261
Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mucter
And right below the price it says this:

Note: Est. model release: Summer 2009. Pricing & specs on these pages are Edmunds' assumptions.
I think most of us assume it will be priced around this.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigmd99
Not touchy...just dislike ignorant "opinions."
On an automotive forum? Noooooo.....
Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Don't believe anything until you see a press release from Acura.

Or post from Colin.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Racer

Yeah I figured it was speculation on their part, but all of its speculation at this point and Edmunds is good at that

Doesn't really matter to me. I just put money down on an '09 6MT Tech last night... I don't want to drive a slush-box, even if it has 280hp.

Last edited by mucter; 04-15-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

... I don't want to drive a slush-box, even if it has 280hp.
Amen.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to kill an hour so I was zipping around town, and particularily apreciating the 6MT. The nice thing is that when you're on streets with a low speed limit of 25 to 35 mph an MT lets you get from 0 to 25 in one quick lurch whereas with an auto as you approach 25 the car up-shifts on you thinking you want to go faster, as if you were on a freeway on ramp. Combined with the added intertia of the higher gear and change in torque band this is very unappreciated. In an auto I feel like I have to hit the break to get the car to stop at 25 mph from a hard acceleration, but with an MT the car smoothly arives right at 25. You just let off the gas and simulataneously up shift and it's like nothing but net. In this respect the MT lets me have lots of fun without regard to how quickly the car is actualy accelerating. The fun is in the the smooth feedback and perfect control and not in the actual speed of the car.

A larger engine in an AT would do nothing but make the problem of overshooting the intended cruising speed even worse.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, you can always use the manual mode in the auto tranny if you don't like the way the computer does things.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

To the target Acura is trying to hit, ignorance is bliss (they don't know anything about how manuals behave).
Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
To the target Acura is trying to hit, ignorance is bliss (they don't know anything about how manuals behave).
Unfortunately though, the TSX was always supposed to be about appealing to the grown-up sport compact enthusiast... so offering a 6MT should always be important for them to keep the core demographic for the TSX.

I've owned 5 Civics and a few Integras... the TSX for me is like growing up without losing my roots. BUT I MUST HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION... lol, the '09 TSX I'm about to buy will be the largest vehicle I've ever owned, by far.

I just don't like to see Acura straying too far away from the core engineering and racing heritage that Soichiro established in Honda.

That said, I may be one of the few who actually LOVES the new Acura design language. I'd be a proud owner of any one of the cars in Acura's current and future (ZDX) lineup.

Last edited by mucter; 04-15-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

I've said it before but not recently; they should offer a 6MT for the street cred alone. Even if nobody buys it the fact that it exists at all says the TSX is a car for do'ers, not for posers.

They should introduce an new NSX if for no other reason than to prove that Acura can still make an NSX.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Safety Car

Unfortunately though, the TSX was always supposed to be about appealing to the grown-up sport compact enthusiast... so offering a 6MT should always be important for them to keep the core demographic for the TSX.

I've owned 5 Civics and a few Integras... the TSX for me is like growing up without losing my roots. BUT I MUST HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION... lol, the '09 TSX I'm about to buy will be the largest vehicle I've ever owned, by far.

I just don't like to see Acura straying too far away from the core engineering and racing heritage that Soichiro established in Honda.

That said, I may be one of the few who actually LOVES the new Acura design language. I'd be a proud owner of any one of the cars in Acura's current and future (ZDX) lineup.
Oh i agree. I've owned a teg, a civic, and an e36 3 series. You graduate to this car. There are alot of former Teg/Lude/Civic/RSX owners that are now TSX owners, especially the g1 TSX.

If we're holding to the Honda ideal, the K series is much more fully featured engine than the old J series. DOHC, iVtec, 4 cylinder, etc, etc. IMO, that indicates that this V6 is somewhat of a test for Acura. See if there is enough demand, and if there is, rake in some dough. I imagine from an engineering standpoint, honda engineers prefer the 4 just like they did with the mid 90s accord. They only made the v6 because America wanted it, not b/c they like it. Hence, that's sorta we aren't seeing a 6mt yet.

As for their design, they effed up the TL and RL, the TSX looks well executed, MDX is nice, RDX is nicely featured but is not handsome as it should be, and the ZDX, I am currently confused by. I like its cues, hate the height of it, but believe if people look at it in the right context, its a nice car/SUV. The problem is, people don't have context for it (its not an X6 competitor, its in its own category, IMO).

Anyways, these are my opinions, I realize I don't have as much insight as Colin or some of the other older members here.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wackura
I've said it before but not recently; they should offer a 6MT for the street cred alone. Even if nobody buys it the fact that it exists at all says the TSX is a car for do'ers, not for posers.

They should introduce an new NSX if for no other reason than to prove that Acura can still make an NSX.
Unfortunately, Acura of America seems to be the least receptive to this or at least slowest to respond.

It unfortunate, because the TSX is the only current car in the line up that races. If anything give you street cred, it should be racing.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
The TSX, along with the other Acura models, has just become nondescript, if not just plain ugly. The addition of a V6 5spd auto confirms to me that Acura has largely abandoned chasing BMW and are going to try to be Lexus instead. Albeit with much uglier, less name-drop-able cars. I don't believe they make a car I'd consider buying -- a huge change since my whole family drive Acuras (w/ one Honda S2k).

That's okay, there are TONS of choices out there for the sport-minded enthusiast. Acura's tacked back to the middle of the road, kind of a half-lux brand with run-of-the-mill products.
Nondescript? Run-of-the-mill!? You drive a first gen Euro Accord!

Don't tell me you really believe your 1G TSX competed at all with bimmers!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm not picking sides here, but... Both your points make little sense.

While the 1st gen TSX was a Euro Accord it wasn't a 1st gen Euro Accord. There have been a few generations of the Euro Accord before the TSX was brought over. And why use that as an argument considering the 2nd gen TSX is simply another generation of Euro Accord.

The 2nd gen TSX doesn't IMO compete with BMW's either. Although the V6 will certainly help things.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

While the 1st gen TSX was a Euro Accord it wasn't a 1st gen Euro Accord. There have been a few generations of the Euro Accord before the TSX was brought over. And why use that as an argument considering the 2nd gen TSX is simply another generation of Euro Accord.

The 2nd gen TSX doesn't IMO compete with BMW's either. Although the V6 will certainly help things.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Racer

Oh i agree. I've owned a teg, a civic, and an e36 3 series. You graduate to this car. There are alot of former Teg/Lude/Civic/RSX owners that are now TSX owners, especially the g1 TSX.

If we're holding to the Honda ideal, the K series is much more fully featured engine than the old J series. DOHC, iVtec, 4 cylinder, etc, etc. IMO, that indicates that this V6 is somewhat of a test for Acura. See if there is enough demand, and if there is, rake in some dough. I imagine from an engineering standpoint, honda engineers prefer the 4 just like they did with the mid 90s accord. They only made the v6 because America wanted it, not b/c they like it. Hence, that's sorta we aren't seeing a 6mt yet.

As for their design, they effed up the TL and RL, the TSX looks well executed, MDX is nice, RDX is nicely featured but is not handsome as it should be, and the ZDX, I am currently confused by. I like its cues, hate the height of it, but believe if people look at it in the right context, its a nice car/SUV. The problem is, people don't have context for it (its not an X6 competitor, its in its own category, IMO).

Anyways, these are my opinions, I realize I don't have as much insight as Colin or some of the other older members here.
I have no problem with them going with V6's (although I'd prefer a straight 6), and I'm all about iVTEC. I had KPRO in my RSX, and loved it.

It would be awesome for them to develop a new V6 that integrates iVTEC with a new over-square block design that allows them to rev. They'd have more low end torque from the VTC, and high revs like the new BMW V8s and V10s. They'd get so much more power out of the same displacement, and better fuel economy and emissions with less crap on the engine.

VTC alows for so many enhancements in emissions and power, its silly that they've reserved it only for their already rediculously efficient 4 cylinder engines.

Oh, and I frickin' love the ZDX, its not super tall like an RDX, but still large enough to run around town in and have space for -stuff- and its sexy as hell! I'll probably have to get one for my wife in a couple years when she gets bored of her Si. I really don't like SUV's (again with the small car obsession), the ZDX is just enough unlike an suv that I could see myself driving it.

Last edited by mucter; 04-16-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

^^I think they're just milking this J series for all its worth. Similar Nissan's VQ. But I agree that I'd love for them to make a v6 having all the features and characteristics a honda should have. But most importantly, stick it in a proper car. The only MT coupe a J-series v6 is in is a FWD Accord. I would think there is something inherently wrong with that if I were Acura.

However, I'm not yet sold on the ZDX, but I don't think its ugly. Its very nice looking. If the "DX" anchors it to the MDX and RDX line, it sends a bit confused message on what its supposed to be. I guess I have a problem with the marketing; people want to buy something unSUV like, yet its in the Acura SUV family by nomenclature. There a little dissonance for me there, but its no criticism of the car itself.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Racer

^^I think they're just milking this J series for all its worth. Similar Nissan's VQ. But I agree that I'd love for them to make a v6 having all the features and characteristics a honda should have and stick it in a proper car.

However, I'm not yet sold on the ZDX, but I don't think its ugly. Its very nice looking. If the "DX" anchors it to the MDX and RDX line, it sends a bit confused message on what its supposed to be. I guess I have a problem with the marketing; people want to buy something unSUV like, yet its in the Acura SUV family by nomenclature. There a little dissonance for me there, but its no criticism of the car itself.

Ya I understand on the marketing side. I'm trying to evaluate the car for just what I see, not what Acura's calling it or branding it as. In the long run all that matters is how the car feels and how it helps you do stuff in real life The trick to the car is that because of its proportions, it looks small, but really it's freaking massive. Long, Wide, and Low (for an SUV anyways). It's like an SUV without the height. Which for me, is actually a winner. I like being low to the ground, I feel more in control of the car. When I test drove an RDX I felt disconnected and weird.

That's the only reason I can go for a TSX. When I went for a test drive, after I settled into the drive and focused more on the driving experience, it felt oddly similar to the RSX and Civic Si in driving position and car control... I expected it to feel like a boat, but somehow they've masked those pounds and length. :shrugs:
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

^^I see...

Not to take this off topic any further, but the one thing the ZDX does indicate is that the standards are going to get better at acura. I looked at it again, and its a very nice looking vehicle. I'd like to see alot of the design go to other models, including the TSX V6 (<----blatant attempt to stay on topic).
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
[T]he [L]egacy

2010 TSX v6 3.5 280hp > 2009 TL v6 3.7 300hp

ACURA FAIL! I hope they come out with a 7Speed for the 2012 TL type S that would be hot.

But im digging the new TSX they beefed up the engine by 80hp, thats impressive
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom

You missed the point, I wasn't portraying any versus arguments so don't look for one. I never said the 2nd gen TSX competed with BMW's or was better in any way today than the 1st gen TSX was back in the day. It's funny watching a guy with a 1st gen TSX complain that the new Acura's are too bland and don't compete with BMW's though! Kind of ironic!
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Vi3t13oi0nfiya
2010 TSX v6 3.5 280hp > 2009 TL v6 3.7 300hp

ACURA FAIL! I hope they come out with a 7Speed for the 2012 TL type S that would be hot.

But im digging the new TSX they beefed up the engine by 80hp, thats impressive
Its actually

2010 TSX 3.5L 280HP > 2009 FWD TL 3.5L 280HP > 2009 AWD TL 3.7L 305HP

There's nothing wrong with the TSX having the same power output as the bigger and heavier TL You see that from just about every other manufacturer out there.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ctwickman
You missed the point, I wasn't portraying any versus arguments so don't look for one. I never said the 2nd gen TSX competed with BMW's or was better in any way today than the 1st gen TSX was back in the day. It's funny watching a guy with a 1st gen TSX complain that the new Acura's are too bland and don't compete with BMW's though! Kind of ironic!
e46 BMW 325 sedan is a completely valid comparison for a first gen TSX. Blandness is a subjective, pointlessly debateable topic for which anyone can have opinion, but to have opinion about someone else's opinion on blandness is even more pointless.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Racer

^^I see...

Not to take this off topic any further, but the one thing the ZDX does indicate is that the standards are going to get better at acura. I looked at it again, and its a very nice looking vehicle. I'd like to see alot of the design go to other models, including the TSX V6 (<----blatant attempt to stay on topic).
Agreed.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dom
Its actually

2010 TSX 3.5L 280HP > 2009 FWD TL 3.5L 280HP > 2009 AWD TL 3.7L 305HP

There's nothing wrong with the TSX having the same power output as the bigger and heavier TL You see that from just about every other manufacturer out there.
It should be noted that putting a J series engine in the TSX will probably add about 150-200lbs to the car (estimate based on weights of the accord)... so that kinda blurs the line a bit there.

Oh, and 2010 AWD TL 3.7L 305HP 6MT > all 3 of those.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ctwickman
Maybe I read too much into your post. While its pretty clear that the 2nd gen is the overall better car, arguing looks is pointless. Its far too subjective a subject to have any rational discussion.

My 2 cents, the 2nd gen isn't bland nor nondescript. Less so than the 1st gen anyway. But the 1st gen just looks better to my eyes even though the 2nd gen looks far more modern. Hard to explain.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dom
Maybe I read too much into your post. While its pretty clear that the 2nd gen is the overall better car, arguing looks is pointless. Its far too subjective a subject to have any rational discussion.

My 2 cents, the 2nd gen isn't bland nor nondescript. Less so than the 1st gen anyway. But the 1st gen just looks better to my eyes even though the 2nd gen looks far more modern. Hard to explain.
Word. The 1st gen is more "clean" and "classy", the 2nd gen is more "modern" and "edgy". To each their own.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

It should be noted that putting a J series engine in the TSX will probably add about 150-200lbs to the car (estimate based on weights of the accord)... so that kinda blurs the line a bit there.

Oh, and 2010 AWD TL 3.7L 305HP 6MT > all 3 of those.
Maybe I misunderstood his post too. I wasn't saying the TSX is greater > than the others. Just stating what's available which is what I thought he was doing. I doubt the V6 TSX will be a fast as an AWD TL.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Word. The 1st gen is more "clean" and "classy", the 2nd gen is more "modern" and "edgy". To each their own.
Exactly. I don't see why there is such disagreement. And to add if you look at both cars together, you can clearly see they are related, more so than any current set of previous gen/current gen Acuras.

its like thinking your parents are bland or dowdy looking, and then growing up to look like them.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Racer

Exactly. I don't see why there is such disagreement. And to add if you look at both cars together, you can clearly see they are related, more so than any current set of previous gen/current gen Acuras.

its like thinking your parents are bland or dowdy looking, and then growing up to look like them.
LOL HAHA. Yeah.

I liked that about the RSX, it was so obviously the evolution of the Integra. 1st gen, 3rd gen, and 4th gen all had the same tail light design... with the 2nd gen being the black horse.

The sad thing is, the Integra was always the car that Honda took a chance on and put their new kick-ass engines into to test and prove them. Now that its gone... which car is going to pick up the torch?

Last edited by mucter; 04-16-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
I've lived with both and agree with this evaluation.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Banned

Will the V6 model retain the split-folding rear seat of the base model? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Breako
Will the V6 model retain the split-folding rear seat of the base model? Thanks.
I would think so.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my buddy told me about the V6 TSX, I was thinking maybe it will be a Type-S version of the TSX.

I was surprised that it is not a Type-S, but rather an engine upgrade which is fine with me. Although, I was thinking more like a 3.0 liter\around 250-270 hp, but not a 3.5 liter\280 hp.

Since we don't have the high revving cars like the RSX anymore, it would nice if the V6 TSX would also rev in the 7500-8000rpm producing around 260 hp in a 3.0 liter engine... But thats just me ;-)
Old 05-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Any ideas of when these are going to hit the streets?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

They're supposed to hit Summer 2009.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Available this summer.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Anyone know if the v6 version will come with push button start? and is the premium sound system in the tsx the same one on the TL? and I know you guys stated summer 2009 but is that going to be in June or later in the summer say August

Quick Reply: 2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed