2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:52 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
EEEW! Kill it with fire!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
This article nicely explains XM NavWeather, which is not the same product as XM weather....

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...06/076860.html

"2009 Acura RL drivers will be able to experience real-time, personalized weather tracking service directly through the in-dash navigation system. XM NavWeather utilizes exclusive "Threat Matrix" technology to track and provide drivers immediate alerts on developing weather threats, such as hail, floods, tornado and storm warnings. To help inform RL drivers of weather conditions at a glance, the easily understood icons are integrated into the luxury sedan's large map display.

XM NavWeather transmits detailed nationwide weather information for more than 20 different weather conditions, scaled and customized for the driver's specific route and displayed on the vehicle's navigation screen. XM NavWeather also provides multi-day forecasts based on weather monitoring stations across the U.S."

I would have liked to see a radar like overlay onto the NAVI, but at least severe weather alerts are transmitted to the car.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Here's a graphic of how XM NavWeather will appear on the NAVI....

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/20...-function.html
Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

More pics on XM NavWeather....

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...cura-rl-1.html
Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
This has to be the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT of the year.

I was so looking forward to seeing the 2009 RL when I come home from work - I switched on the computer just now and then all I see is this absolutely atrocious grille that does not flow with the rest of the body at all! The rest of the body is fine (nothing exciting but not offensive) but the grille is just absolutely horrendous!

Seriously, they expect THIS piece of design failure to compete with the likes of Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, BMW and MB? NOT A CHANCE.....

Saying that I am disappointed is a GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT.... sigh...
Old 02-06-2008, 06:52 PM
White and Nerdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY EYES!!!!

Looks like an MDX humped a new Accord...

I swear Honda should just start putting heraldry on these medieval shields they keep putting on their cars instead of grills...

Wow....in my book, that just leaves the Civic TL, and TSX looking nice...and Im sure they will ruin, er, I mean, redesign, the latter two of those soon as well...

...that just leaves Nissan/Infiniti with any design sense...everyone else is just smoking crack lately...
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
What if the 2.5G-look RL came out in 2005 (with the same equipment as the current 2G) and in 2009 the redesigned RL looked like the 05-08 RL with the new engine and equipment in the literature?
I would still own my 3G TL if that were the case, and would be leaving the brand after. That car is still the sh*t as far as external design goes. Rattles or no, I fell in love with that car from the first spy photo and it was fun as hell to drive.

It was the same with the 2G (2005-08) RL. As soon as I saw the concept RL in 2004, I was in wuv. I didn't think I would ever own one, but here I am. Love the ("old") car. It is fun to drive as well, especially with a little modding. This new one....NO.

Originally Posted by jftjr
In the immortal words of Redd Foxx, "I'm gonna press yo face in some dough and make me some gorilla cookies!"

If they change the grille, that will fix a lot. This cannot be allowed to be the production face of Acura's flagship.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
I'm clearly the minority here - I actually like it.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Would it make sense to spawn a new thread starting with post #1004 for the reality of the 2009 RL?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
I'm clearly the minority here - I actually like it.
I'm sort of with you..i like the rims a lot better, the tailights are nice, and the headlights are okay from the side angle lol..if they fixed the trunk and grille I'd be alrite..the trunk looks like somebody went to town w/ a hacksaw to the back of an M3 CSL
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Would it make sense to spawn a new thread starting with post #1004 for the reality of the 2009 RL?
Not really, now that we are nearly 200 posts since that point.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Holy smokes! It's flooding all the way from Kansas to New York!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
AcurAdmirer

The grille looks like a big ol' chrome smile, with a fever blister at top dead center.

Okay, I'm trying to inject some humor. It seems lots of carmakers these days are making their grilles big and funky (VW, Audi, Cadillac, etc.), so maybe Acura figures they'd better hop on board with that trend.

It DOES grab your attention, but it also bothers my sense of harmony, balance and symmetry, since these big honkin' grilles are out of whack with the rest of the styling. On balance, Acura has done a fairly decent job of creating an attention-grabbing grille, but it still looks like it was taken off a Hummer-class vehicle and welded onto a nice sedan.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have to agree with most here, it's disappointing. A luxury flagship, to me, should be elegant and understated.

Too many angles, lines, shapes, designs everywhere, like the new Accord sedan. The 05-08 RL looks better, it's cohesive.
This thing is garish, overdone and screaming for some taste. Hondas no longer look like Hondas. What happened to simple? Shoulda kept the 05 look and just tweaked it, that would have been less damaging to the brand and the RL name.

not looking forward now to the TL or TSX. Best design Honda has done recently is the Civic coupe IMO, that's a cohesive, efficient design.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Racer

I'm starting to worry what the 09 TL is going to look like. I may have to go to plan B and get a 3rd gen TL if it looks like anything like this abysmal turd called the 09 RL.

I think the Acura exec's got it right when they wanted people to recognize this car from a distance, just not the way they would want. I mean it's a car that people will think how the hell could someone be driving that fugly car? And thank god its not me!

Although I do think owners of the 05-08 version will be quite happy with their investment now.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Still going...front grill looks like it got all it's teeth knocked out (or rotted out) and it's lips swelled up. not a pretty face, kinda goofy. copied Cadillac, which I hate too.

I do like the shifter boot (finally), wonder if it can fit on the 05, hate the cheap plastic shifter gate on the 05. haven't seen many interior/dash shots, is it basically the same dash/console?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

autoblog is posting a very complete photo album. I captures many angles and details...

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chica...-reveal/626492
Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The buttons on the center stack are the same....but some of the functions have changed.

It appears that the fan speed and vent selections can now be made from the buttons.

Nothing really new, just not requiring the NAVI screen to select. But again, it is all redundant to VR anyway.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chica...reveal/626498/
Old 02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Something on the overhead console also. The bank of button on the driver' side was ONSTAR for the 05 - 06 models. Then in 07 this space had a blank insert. Now it appears new buttons / functions in there.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chica...reveal/626546/

No pics of the back seat, which is odd, considering it was one of the gripes the MMC was supposed to address.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a picture of the back seat. Didn't look any more roomy to me

The buttons on the overhead console are interesting. I have been waiting for Acura to introduce their own emergency call system (the only feature of value with OnSTar IMO). Ii wonder if this is it. If so, you'd think they would have mentioned that in the press release
Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

This RL is like those bad movies that are not pre-screened for reviewers so the word won't get out ahead of release. No wonder it was kept under wraps.

Acura wanted publicity, they seem to be getting it, on the net the comments are strongly negative, not just about the 'refresh', but about Acura. This is their flagship. I guess they were willing to sacrifice the RL because they plan that the new TL and TSX sales will justify the new design line.
Acura Aztek is mentioned a lot. I hope Acura is reading all this, don't they have focus groups?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Excuse me for not reading the 1,100 previous posts., but..

The 2009 RL looks terrible. While some say the '08 resembles the previous generation Accord (I disagree mostly), the '09 DEFINITELY looks like an Accord. Ya'll have read enough about the oddities. All I can add is my disappointment with Acura for being complacent and not creative (even the interior was barely touched!).
Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 PM
AcurAdmirer

Jeziz, that trunk overbite thingy is huge. And the whole trunk reshape ... are we sure that's not a latter-day Lincoln continental kit? (All things old shall be new again ... )

Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Acura Aztek is mentioned a lot. I hope Acura is reading all this, don't they have focus groups?
Maybe they somehow invited all those Acura haters who misguided them completely in the focus groups!? ROTFLOL

Whether they had any focus group or not, this is just WRONG. Anyone with vision would know that this is just plain UGLY.

My gosh, the day has come when a new GM vehicle is more attractive looking than a new Acura....
Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL
The buttons on the center stack are the same....but some of the functions have changed.

It appears that the fan speed and vent selections can now be made from the buttons.

Nothing really new, just not requiring the NAVI screen to select. But again, it is all redundant to VR anyway.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chica...reveal/626498/
Interesting observation on the A/C system. I would agree that a dash button would be more convenient for changing airflow and fan speed. Guess I'm old school that way. Looks like the "DUAL" button is deprecated (it goes to dual mode when the passenger hits their temp button anyway).

It looks like the driver and passenger get "normal" headrests rather than the foldouts. I'd have to try it to see if I'd consider changing my headrests.

As for body panels, I looked at my RL, and I don't think they changed the rear quarter panels on the 2009, which means only the front fenders, hood, and bumper covers changed. The rear bumper cover simply changes the shape of the new tail-light -- and looks too much like the blocky lower butt of the 2007 Accord.

I can't see the added rear seat room. Did they make the front seatbacks thinner? Did they scoop out the back-rests? Did they shorten the seat cushion for the illusion of space?

I've tried to imagine the new 18" wheels on my car.....

Rob144
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Interesting observation on the A/C system. I would agree that a dash button would be more convenient for changing airflow and fan speed. Guess I'm old school that way. Looks like the "DUAL" button is deprecated (it goes to dual mode when the passenger hits their temp button anyway).

It looks like the driver and passenger get "normal" headrests rather than the foldouts. I'd have to try it to see if I'd consider changing my headrests.

Rob144
Rob, I suspect these are 'active' headrests to increase the crash ratings. I remember thh RL dropped lower than some newer models in crash ratings, not that it performed less, but that it did not have newer 'active' head rests.

I believe it was you also, who pointed out the armrest cubbies would serve as an alternate grip to close the RL's doors. It looks like you were spot on.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, amazingly ugly...

Several of you have posted that you like the back end - personally I think it is just as grotesquely unharmonious as the front end.

I think Acura has not just shot themselves in the foot, they've taken a big damn cannon and blasted their feet completely away...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

To be fair, when the 1G RL got its MMC they gussied up the grille and hood, raised the trunk, and changed the shape of the tail-lights in addition to new wheels and some drivetrain/feature changes.

At the time, I thought the changes were over-wrought. But now I can't help but admire a clean late-model 1G RL on the road.

The only "Legend" that didn't get much of a makeover was the 2G Legend. All its sheetmetal stayed the same - only the bumpers and grille changed; subtly at that.

Perhaps this RL will look better over time. But I can't help but think the grille will make the car look dated versus the 05-08 RL.

It would look 1000% better if they simply lowered the leading edge of the hood to line up with the headlights (as mentioned). If not that, then at least have the outer edges of the hood "coddle" the inner grille. I also guess that the European pedestrian impact rules had an effect on the design.
Rob144
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

rear seat room- Acura press data-
For 2009, the RL offers rear seat occupants even more comfort and room. Redesigned front seat seatbacks are less bulky thus delivering improve rear seat legroom. The lower rear seat cushion has been redesigned to deliver added leg support for rear seat occupants. In the rear seat area, the outer seating positions are carefully engineered--complete with side bolsters--to simultaneously combine luxurious comfort on long trips with solid lateral support.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
rear seat room- Acura press data-
For 2009, the RL offers rear seat occupants even more comfort and room. Redesigned front seat seatbacks are less bulky thus delivering improve rear seat legroom. The lower rear seat cushion has been redesigned to deliver added leg support for rear seat occupants. In the rear seat area, the outer seating positions are carefully engineered--complete with side bolsters--to simultaneously combine luxurious comfort on long trips with solid lateral support.

Ummmm...yeah. I can hear Donald Trump saying the difference is HUGE.

A mm here, a cm there....its all new.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Leaving the poison and hatred aside , on the positive side , some internal and mechanical upgrades are very extensive for a MMC:

-The previous RL's SH-AWD™ system didn't initiate rear side-to-side torque distribution until Second gear. However, on the 2009 RL new control parameters allow rearward torque delivery in First gear. Plus, front-to-rear and side-to-side power transfer happens much quicker with improved precision. The benefit of the revised SH-AWD™ system is improved accuracy, quicker response, and more power able to be applied to a specific rear wheel.

-The new RL engine has a smooth-firing 60-degree V-angle, compact overall dimensions, and weighs 17.2 pounds less than the smaller displacement 3.5L engine it replaces.

-For 2009 the new RL's 3.7L engine employs an all-new, industry-leading VTEC® rollerized rocker arm design for both the intake and exhaust valves.

-For 2009, the new RL has further optimized chassis and suspension in the form of an upgraded electric assist power steering assembly, improved steering rack components, a new compact noise isolation (CNI) steering joint, stiffer subframe mount bushings, more performance minded coil springs, revised dampers, larger rear stabilizer bar, larger diameter aluminum wheels, and more advanced tires.

-On the 2009 RL, the new CNI joint has higher rigidity due to being made of steel matched higher durometer rubber. The result is better steering accuracy with more linear response.

-For 2009, the RL receives new rear brake pads that improve performance while simultaneously reducing NVH.

-The Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure on the 2009 Acura RL is designed to take vehicle front frame construction beyond conventional safety protocols such as the NHTSA NCAP 35 mph frontal barrier test or the IIHS 40 mph offset frontal crash.

-For 2009, the RL employs new underbody aerodynamic panels that include redesigned front spoiler, engine undercover, front tire strakes, floor undercovers, rear suspension lower control arm covers, rear tire strakes, exhaust pipe aero plates, and a rear floor cover.

-For 2009, the RL receives more sound-deadening insulation and unique body separators that use a new stamping design along with injected foam to help quell road noise from entering the RL's interior cabin.

-The 2009 RL receives a new acoustic glass front windshield that incorporates an upgraded PVB film to quell wind and windshield wiper noise from entering the cabin.

-An all-new, more dynamic Active Sound Control™ (ASC™) system replaces the previous (more limited) Active Noise Cancellation™ (ANC™) system. Sporting a new array of processing technology and sensors, the ASC™ system not only dramatically improves sound cancellation but also works throughout the entire engine rpm range whereas the previous ANC™ system only worked to cancel engine booming noise up to 2000 rpm.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it. i think there defiantly are improvements i would make (ie modding time!!) **cough****cough**6spd swap**cough***cough** :lol::giggle: but i guess like other's I am thou disappointed at a few things, it could look better, inside and out, and it SHOULD have a V8. we'll see what happens by production and in the next few years. I don't think thou as is, it still doesn't quite have that Legend feel to it. I love my G2 (legend), idk if i feel the same about the new RL

I'm heading to the Chicago Autoshow Tuesday Night next week, I can't wait to check it out in person, it may make or break my views on the thing
Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Kang Ho

Maybe the disappointment is so big that the fmc will be a hot seller. I wonder how many of these they will sell this year.....At least now, it makes my decision easier when I want to buy a RL a few years down the road.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

Wow. Once a great looking car ruined. Not feeling the grill especially and the tailights? Don't get me started on the exhaust pipes.

The overall design is so busy and I thought this was a brand new TL or something. I didn't think a facelift would be this dramatic.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the rear of the car but the front is another story. I think it should have the MDX style grille with edgier headlights more like the MDX's.

I never thought the MDX grille would look so sexy!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
This is my first post, but I have been a reader for several years. The new RL is so ugly that I just had to make a post. I am actually embarrassed to say that I own an Acura now.

Well here is a photoshop that looks somewhat better.

BTW, I own a 2000 NBP TL w/navi in case anyone thinks I am one of those spoiled rich kids with an acura.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by honda_nut
This is my first post, but I have been a reader for several years. The new RL is so ugly that I just had to make a post. I am actually embarrassed to say that I own an Acura now.

BTW, I own a 2000 NBP TL w/navi in case anyone thinks I am one of those spoiled rich kids with an acura.
Oooh...look what we have here. A spoiled rich kid with an Acura.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I cant believe I was waiting for this.

Skrew it, I'm getting a 300C.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by honda_nut

Congratulations, it may be your first post here, but you have already out-done Acura's design team, and not by a smal margin! The PS shows far mor flair and sensability than ANYTHING to come out of Honda/Acura in the last twelve months!!! Why do I feel so angry?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Instructor

the photochopped RL ..looks like a 2G TL with a newer grill.....

the new RL is going to be a flop..hopefully they dont mess up the new TL

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)