Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:58 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX07
I just barely noticed this yesterday. When i fully depress my clutch, I hear a slight click. Is this what you are all talking about? Hasn't really bothered me so far.
yup, that's it. If you still got warranty left on your car then I strongly suggest you to take your car back to the dealer and ask them to replace your CMC (clutch master cylinder).

After I got my CMC replace I haven't had a problem since then.. *knocking*
Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should i do

i had the creeking noise about 1 month ago btw i have a 07 with only 17 k miles its only about 6 months old.

i took it in they said it was the cruise control switch for the clutch making the noise they replaced it and said it still made the noise they said it was normal? because they tested other tsx's should i go back and complain?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Racer

creeking noise is different than clicking noise. does it make the noise basically the whole release of the clutch......?? then it is the creak. the clicking only happens at the begining and maybe the end not sure but creaking is WAY DIFFERENT than the click. Very F-in annoying.....
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Racer

and might i add that it is f-in annoying and unbelievable that honda hasnt fixed this by now..... or offered a recall... I know it isnt a safty issue..., but if i go nuts some day and get some road rage then it will be a safty issue....
Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Switch noises are different than CMC click

Originally Posted by gamblez
i had the creeking noise about 1 month ago btw i have a 07 with only 17 k miles its only about 6 months old.

i took it in they said it was the cruise control switch for the clutch making the noise they replaced it and said it still made the noise they said it was normal? because they tested other tsx's should i go back and complain?
Yeah, the very slight click you hear for the cruise control disconnect switch is right near the top of the clutch's travel. (And I think there may be another audible switch near the bottom too, the starter disconnect switch.) I barely notice these if I'm really listening for them, and they're normal.

No, the much bigger click/creak we're talking about here can happen anywhere along the clutch's travel, and is noticeably different. If you have this problem, you can often hear the piston click as it momentarily binds and then releases as you release the clutch. You can sometimes feel it in your foot too. Another clue is that it won't necessarily happen every time, or at every temperature (though is does get more consistent as it gets worse). I had my clutch master cyclinder replaced a number of months ago now and it's been perfect ever since.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Advanced

its not a small sound though its kinda annoying passengers even notice it and it started happening recently
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gamblez
its not a small sound though its kinda annoying passengers even notice it and it started happening recently
That sounds about right... that sucks that this is starting to happen to the 07's as well...
Old 10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

I too had the famous clutch click. I took it to the dealer after reading this thread. They tried to blame the seat and lubed the clutch and seat....

It was still making the noise the next day of course. I found out if you give ACURA a bad review when they call for thier survey, that they can fix the problem right! I had the service manger inviting me back and they took care of the issue this time. I even got a TL loaner car. The dealer has replaced the clutch master cylinder and now the clutch pedal assembly for free!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fox137
That sounds about right... that sucks that this is starting to happen to the 07's as well...

exactly......, You would think honda would have addressed something like this by now..... -really annoying- its not like this sound is barely noticable......
Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^do you also get the clicking noise as well? or did u just get the creaking noise?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

I really hope Acura reads this board!

The litany of 'issues' I have experienced with my '05 including the click/creak of the clutch simply dumbfounds me - if someone told me I'd have all these issues with an Acura before I bought it, I would have called them CRAZY, my '95 Integra was bulletproof. Now I feel crazy for buying.

Definitely my last Acura unless they step up quality again.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kolodzie240
I too had the famous clutch click. I took it to the dealer after reading this thread. They tried to blame the seat and lubed the clutch and seat....

It was still making the noise the next day of course. I found out if you give ACURA a bad review when they call for thier survey, that they can fix the problem right! I had the service manger inviting me back and they took care of the issue this time. I even got a TL loaner car. The dealer has replaced the clutch master cylinder and now the clutch pedal assembly for free!

its not like they dont know what the problem is....., even though they tried to act dumb most of the time.... the tsx is a great car but it shouldnt have silly problems like this.... need a TSB....
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Racer

Has Anybody Had Their Clutch Pedal Assembly Replaced And Then Had The Clutch Creek Come Back?????
Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not a click or a creak but apparently I need to post this in here.
I've already lubed the points i've read about in this post and a couple people have mentioned the noise as a "verp" "screech" etc.. but nobody has offered a fix or an explanation as to the noise other then if you replace the clutch assembly it'll go away.

After the car is warmed up and i've driven it a little bit, Basically what happens is, if i'm stopped and about to start going, I'll start releasing the clutch and adding gas and sometimes it makes a screeching sound if I let the clutch out a little slower then normal. Almost like finger nails on a chalk board screech but more metallic and more hollow sounding and it's coming from the trans. not the pedal assembly.

Yeah, so that's a horrible description but it's the best i can do. My clutch doesn't slip at all when I push the car. I have a pretty high effort to get into gear at high rpm's and can rarely get into second at high rpm's unless I wait that split second before going to 2nd.

I'm almost at 80k and i'm the 2nd owner. It's an '04. I bought it certified through a dealer and I am SUPER anal about taking care of the car. Trans fluid has been changed among every other maint. item but havn't checked cutch. Do we have an clutch inspection plate like the older b series motors do? I do notice that i have a bearing noise that goes away when i push the clutch in but i have no clutch problems at all other then the noise. Is it about that time to change it?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
assembly replacement and return of click

They replaced the assembly (everything below the pedal is what the dealer described to me) this summer. At first (about a week) the operation was as smooth as butter. Then I got a creak (a very loud one) every time I pushed the clutch pedal down, but the click at the (sweet spot) on the upswing did not return. I brought the car in and they lubed the spring on the mechanisim... Again, the operation was as smooth as butter for awhile. Then the creak on the downswing reapeared in moderately warm weather, and the click on the upswing at the (sweet spot) returned sometimes on very warm days. Now it is colder in Minnesota, so I only have a minor creak on the downswing (sometimes but not all of the time), and no click at the sweetspot on the upswing. I even asked the dealer if they still had the old clutch assembly because I would almost rather just have the click on the upswing during fairly warm weather to deal with. Alas, it had been returned to Acura. Bottom line is that replacing the clutch assembly did not totally fix the problem permanently on my car. However, the problem is now much more sporadic (until warm summer weather returns) and by the time it becomes more consistent (next summer) I will be out of warranty.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vollum
They replaced the assembly (everything below the pedal is what the dealer described to me) this summer. At first (about a week) the operation was as smooth as butter. Then I got a creak (a very loud one) every time I pushed the clutch pedal down, but the click at the (sweet spot) on the upswing did not return. I brought the car in and they lubed the spring on the mechanisim... Again, the operation was as smooth as butter for awhile. Then the creak on the downswing reapeared in moderately warm weather, and the click on the upswing at the (sweet spot) returned sometimes on very warm days. Now it is colder in Minnesota, so I only have a minor creak on the downswing (sometimes but not all of the time), and no click at the sweetspot on the upswing. I even asked the dealer if they still had the old clutch assembly because I would almost rather just have the click on the upswing during fairly warm weather to deal with. Alas, it had been returned to Acura. Bottom line is that replacing the clutch assembly did not totally fix the problem permanently on my car. However, the problem is now much more sporadic (until warm summer weather returns) and by the time it becomes more consistent (next summer) I will be out of warranty.
my fault. when i meant clutch assembly, i meant the actual clutch pressure plate and friction disk inside the trans. This area is where my noise is coming from not from the pedal assembly
Old 10-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by lvcurvs
my fault. when i meant clutch assembly, i meant the actual clutch pressure plate and friction disk inside the trans. This area is where my noise is coming from not from the pedal assembly
Your problem with the sound when taking off is the throwout bearing, 100% sure. Go get it replaced. It is a $5 part that is replaced each time you replace the clutch. Yours has worn prematurely, probably from holding the clutch down at the lights.

Your bearing noise that goes away when you clutch in is the spigot bearing (or input shaft bearing). You should replace that when you get the throwout bearing replaced.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Driver/Detailer

Back to clutch creak...
One of our member had the creak on his 07, had the master cylinder replaced but the creak came back the next day! So the problem is not in the clutch fluid-side of the master cylinder like we were guessing before. My car is going to the dealer's in 5 hours for a different method of fix, since we already ruled out the master cylinder being faulty.

What they will do is remove the master cylinder, and lube the pushrod/spring side (which goes into the firewall) with graphite grease. What we are guessing, is that the assembly method of the new master cylinder which involves greasing the pushrod/spring side, is what fixes the creak (at least temporarily for 1 year in my case). We're going to use a more persistant grease this time to make it last longer.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Driver/Detailer

Looks like my car won't get fixed today, the head tech is on leave. Will get it fixed next week.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Racer

i figured it was something like that. Blah, i def. don't hold the clutch in when i'm stopped. ever. but i was the second owner so who know's how they drove. I guess really, at almost 80k, to replace the bearings with out doing the clutch would be pointless. blah, oh well, time to buy a flywheel and clutch. thanks!!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Pfft!

I didn't read the entire thread but enough to make me post. I bought my tsx used and when I picked it up the clutch pedal was creaking. They lubed it up and that cured it for about 2 months. After I went back and complained again the master cylinder was dry as can be. They replaced the master cylinder and everything has been great until a couple of weeks ago it started back. I took it back and explained to them this was the second time this has happend. As I waited in the service area waiting for it to come back fixed the tech walks over to me and tried to give me some bs. I recently put a stage 1 clutch in with a lightweight flywheel. The tech goes to tell me that since I put an aftermarket clutch in that the cable is being stretched and when I put the pedal in its the cable creaking and that there was nothing he could do. I went to tell him he was full of it and asked where my keys were and left. I am going to try a different dealer. Seems like this is an ongoing issue with the master cylinder going bad.

Ben
Old 10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Racer

Big Ben- yeah go somewhere else because the guy is a friggen retard if he was dead serious about that statement. The cutch is hydro. not cable. unless he's talking about the linkage on the pedal assembly but still, there's even a friggen' tsb on the shit
Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Pfft!

Originally Posted by lvcurvs
Big Ben- yeah go somewhere else because the guy is a friggen retard if he was dead serious about that statement. The cutch is hydro. not cable. unless he's talking about the linkage on the pedal assembly but still, there's even a friggen' tsb on the shit
Seriously. Esp. since I have already had it replaced once. They blame everything on my mods and its bs.

Oh well.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Driver/Detailer

The DIY fix would be to spray silicone lube into the hole where the pushrod goes in behing the clutch pedal.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Cruisin'

I have not had any problems since they replaced my master and clutch asembly.

It is still early and the hot weather is gone thou...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
9th Gear

Bought my '05 MT TSX used w/28K miles. It had the clutch creak out of the box, but the dealer lubed the clutch and all was 'okay'. After six months and numerous (appx. 6) dealer visits they replaced my master cylinder. Two months later all is well.

As you know it's wicked annoying to hear (and feel) the clutch creak when depressing it. Hopefully the M/C will fix it for good.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Advanced

they fixed mine

i took mine to the dealership again and had a test drive with a tech he heard a noise then they had my car for almost 2 weeks they found it was the clutch they replaced everything they said it was premature clutch wear but the noise was gone
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Here we go again

My clutch creaking, clicking came back two weeks ago. I took it took the dealer Pohanka in Chantilly, VA. Just my luck the problem went away. They had it for 3 days and couldn't reproduce the problem. It def. was there, I believe it could be temperature related. Anyhow my TSX has 32k the first cmc was replaced at 24k. The serv. advisor claimed that he couldn't find any information about this problem and that he doubted the first cmd replacement was the fix. All I know is once they replaced the cmc the problem was fixed. That was in Aug 07, now 5 months later and 8k miles the problem is back. This week no clicking. I took it in after putting up with it for about 2 weeks figuring I knew the cause and it's sooo annoying. I'm going to wait until it acts up again and take it back. My only concern is I would like a permanent fix. I don't want to keep replacing cmc's. Anybody have any TSB or Acura aknowledgment of this issue?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSXy6spd
Well I finally had my fill of the creaking clutch pedal on my '05 and took it in for service. They kept the car for several days and ended up replacing the clutch pedal assembly. I drove off from the dealer pleased as the clutch was smooth as silk all the way back to my office. When I got in the car to drive home that evening the creaking clutch was back, only worse as now it creaked in both directions.

Took car back today as dealer advised a technician had a REAL fix for the problem. On the drive home it did not creak but it felt weird and mushy at the end/bottom of the clutch pedal travel. Once home I got out the shop light and crawled down to see what they had done. Unbelievable...they actually bent my clutch pedal to the left several inches to the point where it no longer makes contact with that rubber bumper pad on the firewall. The mushiness was because the pedal is now pressing into the carpet instead of that rubber bumper.

What does anyone else think of this so called REAL fix. Should I be concerned that this could cause other issues/problems in the future? Could this cause future problems with the CMC since the pedal is actually traveling further down than before.

Jeez, I traded my TL with the impending tranny doom for this 6Spd and now this clutch crap. I think this will be my last Acura.
Well, the clutch creak is back with a vengeance. Before I took it in for service, it only did this in the summer, now it is creaking regardless of the temp. I guess I'll take it back in and see what they come up with this time. I will request they not bend any more parts and maybe come up with a real solution. Sadly, I don't have much faith in the outcome.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

Clutch Creak

TSXy6spd

that really stinks that they bent your clutch. I would give them hell! I'm on the same page with you about the TSX being my last Acura! I'm going to take mine back and have them attempt to repair it. Since my car is still under the lemon law period, they have 1 more time to fix it. Then I'm going to sue them to buy it back. Seems Honda wants to cover up this problem.

Seems to be that the outside ambient temp has something to do with the problem. The hotter the worse the problem.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

I've been in touch with Acura customer service about the cluch issue. I've been told that they have NO repair orders/records that show any TSX's were having the clutch creak, grind problem. Yes that's not a mistake, The Acura CSR told me she couldn't find any cars in for this repair in the Honda/Acura DB. If anybody has any repair orders that they don't mind sharing that shows their car was in for repair on the clutch issue please email them to

david@netpros.info

Thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Instructor

I have some but I would have to scan and email. Why don't you just send them the link to this thread. I would think that would be ample proof there is an issue with a creak/click.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 PM
ABP 6MT

Mine's been in three times for this...

I've had my 2004 in for this issue multiple times to Acura of Bellevue (Bellevue, WA)

9/26/06, 35k - Replaced clutch master cylinder
11/6/07, 57k - lubricated clutch master cylinder
1/29/08, 61k - lubricated clutch master cylinder per techline

At the last service in January they discussed the issue with Techline and used a "concoction of lubricants". This worked for about a month as the sound returned in February. I plan to take it back in but haven't wanted to deal with it.

It really drives me crazy, all this creaking sound - makes me feel like I'm driving a driving a neon or something! The clutch in my 91 Civic Si didn't make a peep in the 135k miles I had it!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Cruisin'

I believe I have the exact same problem, it sounds horrible.. and it only happens once in a while, and if I really feather the clutch I can recreate the sound.

Anyhow, today I visited my local Acura dealer to have this checked. The technician could not create the sound during a test drive, so I took over and I was able to create the screaching sound a few times but he had no clue what it was. He "Guessed" that I needed a new clutch.. but i'm not going to replace an expensive part just cause of a feeling.

Also, they have never heard of this type of problem.. atleast the dealer I went to didn't.. Acura of North Toronto.

Not sure quite what to do at this point.. might bring it to a more experience mechanic to see if they can resolve this issue.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmak
I believe I have the exact same problem, it sounds horrible.. and it only happens once in a while, and if I really feather the clutch I can recreate the sound.

Anyhow, today I visited my local Acura dealer to have this checked. The technician could not create the sound during a test drive, so I took over and I was able to create the screaching sound a few times but he had no clue what it was. He "Guessed" that I needed a new clutch.. but i'm not going to replace an expensive part just cause of a feeling.

Also, they have never heard of this type of problem.. atleast the dealer I went to didn't.. Acura of North Toronto.

Not sure quite what to do at this point.. might bring it to a more experience mechanic to see if they can resolve this issue.
I know they could search their databases and find instances of it because many of us have reported it. FYI, I have my old clutch assembly and I had replaced everything with a more sporty clutch and lightweight flywheel. Used an Acura mechanic on the side and I can assure you, whatever is making this noise isn't effecting the performance of the clutch b/c nothing was visually wrong with the clutch I took out. Additionally, my new clutch assembly (ACT pressure plate, ACT 6 puck and Fidanza flywheel) makes the same noise when it is cold out. I personally believe there is a friction issue on the stock friction disk that resonates through the pressure plate. Just a theory though.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

so I took my car in to have this looked at yesterday and this is what they wrote down on the receipt they gave me:

"Some noise normal from clutch pedal spring and clutch release switch clicking noise. no repair recommended."

They said they lubed the back of the pedal, but after driving around last night, i can say that it didn't help at all. They also said even if they were to replace anything, it would probably come back. They assured me that it is not harming the clutch whatsoever so that provides some relief, but I have to say, the noise is annoying...
Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Honda/Acura's response to the problem is a pile of crap! I took a test ride

with the lead tech at Pohanka and he told me the RSX and TSX they come in

all the time with the clutch creaking and squeaking noise and what they have

been told to do is replace the Clutch master cylinder or lube the CMC

assembly. It is definitely a problem that they won't admit.

It is a real dissapointment that:

1. A Honda would have a problem of this magnitude
2. The treatment by the dealer system is piss poor.
3. It's obvious that a solution does not exist.
4.Treatment by the dealer system is piss poor

Well maybe a class action suit would change their mind about fixing this.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
4th Gear

I've seen this issue multiple times with my '04, and yes, it is extremely annoying. It was to the point that I was getting Camco to lube the CMC every time I was in for regular service as it kept coming back within a 1000 clicks of the service or so.

About 18k ago I mentioned my frustration with regards to the recurring issue and they promised a full tear down as I was requesting replacement of the CMC with the "new" one that I heard Acura had issued.

I didn't get a replacement, however they took apart the whole assembly and cleaned out what I believe the SA referred to as the pivot joint for the CMC which was supposedly full of debris/grit; they cleaned, reassembled, lubed and I was out the door.

Touch wood I haven't had an issue since.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jbs148
I've seen this issue multiple times with my '04, and yes, it is extremely annoying. It was to the point that I was getting Camco to lube the CMC every time I was in for regular service as it kept coming back within a 1000 clicks of the service or so.

About 18k ago I mentioned my frustration with regards to the recurring issue and they promised a full tear down as I was requesting replacement of the CMC with the "new" one that I heard Acura had issued.

I didn't get a replacement, however they took apart the whole assembly and cleaned out what I believe the SA referred to as the pivot joint for the CMC which was supposedly full of debris/grit; they cleaned, reassembled, lubed and I was out the door.

Touch wood I haven't had an issue since.
I wonder how hard it is to DIY for that... I'm thinking I might try the same thing next time the issue creeps up. I have the Helm's so it shouldn't be hard as long as no special tools are needed for the disconnection of the hydraulic lines, etc.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX07
so I took my car in to have this looked at yesterday and this is what they wrote down on the receipt they gave me:

"Some noise normal from clutch pedal spring and clutch release switch clicking noise. no repair recommended."

They said they lubed the back of the pedal, but after driving around last night, i can say that it didn't help at all. They also said even if they were to replace anything, it would probably come back. They assured me that it is not harming the clutch whatsoever so that provides some relief, but I have to say, the noise is annoying...
dude thats such bullshit..i work at a dealer and just had one of the techs look at mine and all he did was sit in it and press the clutch down and said that it needed the cmc replaced. i'm getting mine down sometime this week under warranty(ends in june) just keep going back and complain complain complain

Quick Reply: Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)