Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how long does it take to replace the clutch master cylinder?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About an hour if you know what you are doing and have the right tools, although in a TSX that slave cylinder (master cylinder is used for the brakes) it's kinda tightly packed in there. It's apparently made for dick fingered auto techs. (That includes bleeding the line too).
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by goddsmack
About an hour if you know what you are doing and have the right tools, although in a TSX that slave cylinder (master cylinder is used for the brakes) it's kinda tightly packed in there. It's apparently made for dick fingered auto techs. (That includes bleeding the line too).
Acura would replace it under warranty though, right? If I wanted to lubricate the clutch linkage, does anyone have a diagram of it? It's a pain in the butt getting on the floor and looking up at it.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
Acura would replace it under warranty though, right? If I wanted to lubricate the clutch linkage, does anyone have a diagram of it? It's a pain in the butt getting on the floor and looking up at it.
I think that would wholly depend on the service dept you're dealing with. As I stated above, the one I've gone to can be very resistant to these things.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:17 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by waTSX
I think that would wholly depend on the service dept you're dealing with. As I stated above, the one I've gone to can be very resistant to these things.
i sprayed the metal rod that goes into the cylinder with some lubricating spray, and the creaking is gone. not one creak in a 10 mile loop of probably 100 shifts.

DIY is much better than having the dealer gunk up my nice clean car, right?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Racer

i sprayed the metal rod that goes into the cylinder with some lubricating spray, and the creaking is gone. not one creak in a 10 mile loop of probably 100 shifts.
lol...it's called the push rod.

Indeed, plus you pay better attention to detail and doing it right the first time. Not saying that Acura techs don't do that, but auto tech are in the busniess of making money and the more jobs they take in, the more they make on that flat rate pay in a week's time.

One thing, i would recommend you use lithium grease instead of silicon spray. The silicon spray disappates rather quickly. Make sure you use only what you need so you don't "gunk" up that area.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Racer

Technically they should replace if it's faulty. But generally they want a fault of function, that means vibration when you depress the pedal or the pedal sinks to the floor and stays there (leaky slave cylind.). Sometimes the creak isn't enough to replace something if it still functions well. Like waTSX said, it depends on the dealer.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:06 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Technically they should replace if it's faulty. But generally they want a fault of function, that means vibration when you depress the pedal or the pedal sinks to the floor and stays there (leaky slave cylind.). Sometimes the creak isn't enough to replace something if it still functions well. Like waTSX said, it depends on the dealer.
okay. if i'm not having any functional problems (only the creak), and the creaking has just disappeared, hopefully indefinitely, i don't have any problems right? i could probably talk to them about it at my next oil change in 2,500 miles but i don't really feel like a 2 or 3 hour ordeal in the meantime.

also, thanks for the recommendation on lithium grease. is it gonna be like a pomade/sticky/goop, or also in easy spray format? i'm guessing the former. anyway, we'll see how long the creaking stays away with the silicone spray. the same spray cured the windshield "cracking" noise (spraying underneath the rubber moldings on the outside).

i'm still not sure why the push rod would be creaking though; it didn't look like there was anything that could cause such a noise.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Have camera, will travel

Good fix. I always feel better doing it myself too.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Racer

i'm still not sure why the push rod would be creaking though; it didn't look like there was anything that could cause such a noise.
It's not the pushrod making the noise, but rather the bushing with the push rod rubbing past it. It could also be the linkage catching against each other and rubbing each other causing the squeak sound. If there is enough vibration it could the internal bushings in the slave cylinder that are catching on the sides.

why does this sound sexual to me???
Old 07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

why does this sound sexual to me???
because you want to make love to your TSX. i mean, who doesn't?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM
dP-
Instructor

I went into my dealership and they said Acura is aware of it and is going to issue a TSB/repair on it soon. No word on when, but he did mention replacing the MC does not repair it (I assume he means the current MC's). He mentioned it also affects RSX's too.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Driver/Detailer

Even after an MC replacement, the creak comes back. I lubed it once with silicone spray (you DON'T want gunk in a cylinder assembly), no creak for the past 8 months.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

creak is back......not as pronounced as before, but it's back, i feel/hear it!

UGH.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

shit...

i was about to ask you if you had pics of the push rod location...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aaronng
Even after an MC replacement, the creak comes back. I lubed it once with silicone spray (you DON'T want gunk in a cylinder assembly), no creak for the past 8 months.
do you have pics of the mc location?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:52 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
the part that i sprayed w/ silicone is the small metal rod that pushes straight in when you depress the clutch pedal. i basically have to lie on the floor on my back and look up at it.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Racer

You're not lubing the entire rod so that it enters the cylinder...you're basically lubing the linkage area and the bushing contact of the rod. Then again, I'm not encourage a glob of the stuff so that it looks like someone spooged on the rod...lol. Just a simple thin coat. Come on, I wouldn't suggest anything that would harm your car...

But if you have also lubed the linkage and the creak is back and you're feeling it, it's a design fault obviously of the master cylinder internals. The bushing in the cylinder are catching against the sides when it's moving or retracting and causing that vibration/creak...feel/sound.

It's strange that you guys are experiencing it. I lubed it once with silcone spray as a preliminary fix, then when it came back I lubed it with grease and now no sound. Either that or I just have the radio too high and I can't hear it...lol.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You're not lubing the entire rod so that it enters the cylinder...you're basically lubing the linkage area and the bushing contact of the rod. Then again, I'm not encourage a glob of the stuff so that it looks like someone spooged on the rod...lol. Just a simple thin coat. Come on, I wouldn't suggest anything that would harm your car...

But if you have also lubed the linkage and the creak is back and you're feeling it, it's a design fault obviously of the master cylinder internals. The bushing in the cylinder are catching against the sides when it's moving or retracting and causing that vibration/creak...feel/sound.

It's strange that you guys are experiencing it. I lubed it once with silcone spray as a preliminary fix, then when it came back I lubed it with grease and now no sound. Either that or I just have the radio too high and I can't hear it...lol.
It's not that I can't hear it, it's that I can FEEL the click.

Argh its so annoying.

So did you have to take off the lower cover panel to access this area?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Drifting

^

ya, i can feel the CLICK too.

so, just lie on the floor (at least attempting to), as close to the clutch pedal, look for the metal rod, and spray away?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Driver/Detailer

MC is on the other side of the firewall where your clutch push rod goes in. You only lube the spot where the rod goes into the cylinder. Not the rod itself.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Driver/Detailer

The spot that both of us are describing is different.You're lubing up the assembly area. On the other hand, I am lubing INSIDE the cylinder itself where the bushing meets the cylinder walls. I use silicone spray with a long tube. I press the clutch in 1/2 way and spray into the gap between the push rod and the cylinder housing.

Just to reduce the confusion, I'll explain all the work that was done for my creaking.
1st dealer fix: Lubed master cylinder rod.
2nd dealer fix (After 1 week): Replaced master cylinder.
3rd self fix (1 year after 2nd fix): Sprayed silicone lube into the pushrod-master cylinder gap.

No more clicks (other than the clutch switch) or creaks since then.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Advanced

I've had problems with squeeking for a long time. First time I took it to the dealership they lubricated it (not sure where). That lasted about a week until the squeeks came back.

Second trip to the dealership they replaced the clutch pedal. Not sure what parts that entails, but that is all it says on the sheet. Been about a week and still going strong. We'll see if it lasts.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Drifting

so...

lubed the clutch push rod and its entrance area. so far so good. the creaking is gone, but, the clicking is still there. i'm fine with the clicking, it's the creaking i can't stand.

i'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Driver/Detailer

so...

lubed the clutch push rod and its entrance area. so far so good. the creaking is gone, but, the clicking is still there. i'm fine with the clicking, it's the creaking i can't stand.

i'll keep everyone posted.
You don't need to lube the rod, just the entrance.
With regards to the clicking, is it at the top of clutch travel? If yes, then that is the clutch switch and will always be there (just a matter of how loud or soft). Mine had the click since new.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:36 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

i've got the click, but the creak is what is annoying for me as well. it's so pronounced that i can feel it through my shoes.

blech.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

lubed mine yesterday and its been good since, hopefully it doesn't come back (soon)
Old 07-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Drifting

You don't need to lube the rod, just the entrance.
With regards to the clicking, is it at the top of clutch travel? If yes, then that is the clutch switch and will always be there (just a matter of how loud or soft). Mine had the click since new.
yes, it's at the top of the clutch travel. based on responses from this thread, apparently, it's the cruise control switch.

since my last note, everything is all good so far...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04rob
I've had problems with squeeking for a long time. First time I took it to the dealership they lubricated it (not sure where). That lasted about a week until the squeeks came back.

Second trip to the dealership they replaced the clutch pedal. Not sure what parts that entails, but that is all it says on the sheet. Been about a week and still going strong. We'll see if it lasts.
The squeeking has returned. I'm guessing they lube'd it again when they replaced the pedal. WIll take it back in.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Driver/Detailer

Tell them that this is the 3rd time you've had the squeaking problem and the first two fixes of lubing and replacing the clutch pedal didn't work. Don't tell them anymore, let them feel proud when they show their brilliance by replacing the clutch master cylinder.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Drifting

^

any generic silicone lube will do?

i think my creaking has come back since i last wd-40'd it, albeit not as prevalent as before...

this time though, i'm going to lube the area while the clutch pedal is halfway engaged...
Old 08-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Driver/Detailer

^

any generic silicone lube will do?

i think my creaking has come back since i last wd-40'd it, albeit not as prevalent as before...

this time though, i'm going to lube the area while the clutch pedal is halfway engaged...
Did you lube the entrance of the push rod with WD40??????
NEVER use WD40 as it attacks the rubber seals. I used CRC food grade silicone spray (as that was what I had). Don't spray too much as silicone + glycol brake fluid = gel.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Drifting

CRC 808 Silicone Spray?

Old 08-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Drifting

ok, so i grabbed some silicone lube from the store, and sprayed some on the cylinder entrance.

we'll see how it goes...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Driver/Detailer

CRC 808 Silicone Spray?

Yup, that's the stuff I used. As far as I know, there are 2 other grades, an automotive one and a general silicone lube.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04rob
The squeeking has returned. I'm guessing they lube'd it again when they replaced the pedal. WIll take it back in.

Convinced them to replace the master cylinder this time, should get it back tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have that clicking problem when pressing the clutch. its a noticable sound and vibration you can feel when you press it.

went to dealer and they lubed it and didn't solve problem.
went to dealer again and they had it replaced. that solved the problem.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:22 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
i have that clicking problem when pressing the clutch. its a noticable sound and vibration you can feel when you press it.

went to dealer and they lubed it and didn't solve problem.
went to dealer again and they had it replaced. that solved the problem.
had what replaced, exactly?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry forgot to say what was replaced ..

but i had the master cyclinder replaced. master cyclinder is the pump that connects to the cluth pedal.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

my creaking comes back maybe a day after i lube it with silicone spray......time for the dealer fix i guess?

Quick Reply: Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)