Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
don't you find it difficult to spray it on the cylinder rod? i can't see shit...

i once was spraying the clutch pedal.
I got the extension tube that comes with WD-40 cans. Using that, I can position the nozzle about 1" from the opening, which lets me spray it in very cleanly, better than when I was using a long flxible hose.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
extension tube? flexible hose?

i have one of them, i just don't know which is which. either way, i used it too, but still found it hard to aim. i'll try it again...
Old 06-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
extension tube? flexible hose?

i have one of them, i just don't know which is which. either way, i used it too, but still found it hard to aim. i'll try it again...
The extension tube is the red one that you get when you buy a can of WD-40. It fits on my can of silicone spray. The flexible hose was just thin clear PVC hose, and was very messy to use (lots of silicone dripping onto the floormat.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ok. i have the clear one.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just went through the whole 9 pages and i couldn't seem to find if there was a tsb out for tsx. i see one for the honda's but nothing on the tsx ? please help me i can't deal with this click !
Old 06-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Racer

I have had this problem along with almost everyone else......, I just had the dealer replace the clutch master cylinder......, and not a week later it starts creakin again....., even worse than before it was changed......, they really need to put a a recall/TSB.......

im pissed........
Old 06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think they will put a TSB out once they find out how to reengineer the master cylinder to not get the supposed "ridging" within the cylinder which causes the click/pop sensation in the pedal.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Racer

I Hope It Is Soon ...., Cus Now That It Is Warmer Out It Is Doing It All The Time........., So Bleepin Annoying.........
Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Driver/Detailer

There is a TSB for the same problem on the Civic and Accord. All it says is to replace the master cylinder. The part that they replace it with has the same defect/problem anyway.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well this is good to know. I was about to buy a new Master Cylinder and replace it myself. Guess I'll wait to see if a TSB comes out first. Is anyone aware of an risks to continued use of the defective master cylinder?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 PM

I think the ONLY risk is the driver eventually going insane and killing someone.

But that's an extreme example... shouldn't occur too often around here -- most people here seem fairly level-headed.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:06 AM
B A N N E D

does it wear out the clutch ? since the warmer weather has been here i've notice a few things. one more clicking, and two the pedals feels really soft. to me it feels as if the clutch was burned before and is wearing already with only 49k miles. but i have not once burned or ride the clutch enough to let to go out this early. hM i really wish a tsb was out already
Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
I think the ONLY risk is the driver eventually going insane and killing someone.

But that's an extreme example... shouldn't occur too often around here -- most people here seem fairly level-headed.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by 6spdcl9
does it wear out the clutch ? since the warmer weather has been here i've notice a few things. one more clicking, and two the pedals feels really soft. to me it feels as if the clutch was burned before and is wearing already with only 49k miles. but i have not once burned or ride the clutch enough to let to go out this early. hM i really wish a tsb was out already
No, the clicking is more of a symptom of a different problem. But it doesn't cause your clutch to wear out unless you ride your clutch, use the clutch to hold the car on inclines or downshift without rev matching.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by aaronng
No, the clicking is more of a symptom of a different problem.
Exactly.

Think of the problem in these terms:
imagine a piston that travels through a cylinder. Normally, the cylinder is perfectly smooth. However, in this problematic case, there is a slight ridge sticking out of the cylinder wall, near the end of the piston's travel. Every time the piston reaches this point in its travel (the clutch pedal being depressed), the piston gets momentarily hung up on the ridge, then pops past it, resulting in a click noise and sensation.

It has no effect that I can think of, on the clutch itself.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by curls

exactly....., funny stuff......
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
B A N N E D

very true ! gosh its driving me crazy !!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Instructor

My Acura dealer lubricated the clutch about a year ago after I complained about the clutch click/creak. The lubrication worked for awhile. But as the weather warmed here in Minnesota this spring/early summer, the click/creak returned. I brought the car in for some other things...head light clips and replacement of driver seat cover. I asked them to lube the clutch assembly again. They found that lubricating it would not get rid of the creak/click. They called Acura central and discussed the problem with them. Acura central advised to remove and replace the clutch pedal assembly. They did this and the clutch feels as smooth as it did when the car was new. Bottom line is that this may really be a clutch pedal assembly problem, not a master cylinder problem...
Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Well, I don't know about that. I just had my dealer replace the clutch master cylinder under warranty, after complaining about the clicking sound/sensation that was getting worse in my 2005 TSX. They cheerfully replaced it with part number 46920-S7A-A03. It works like new again now. You can, if you're really paying attention, still hear the cruise control disconnect switch, but this is quite a different (and quieter) sound than the big click it was doing.

And note the 3 at the end of the part number. Apparently this thing has finally been redesigned. I hope this one doesn't get sticky.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Not a Registered User

Originally Posted by cconrad
And note the 3 at the end of the part number. Apparently this thing has finally been redesigned. I hope this one doesn't get sticky.
can anyone confirm this?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Racer

I hope to god this is true......., I am about to go off of warranty and I would love to have this taken care before then...... please-o-please........
Old 08-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Any updates from those who had the master cylinder replaced? I am scheduled for the replacement and hoping it is a permanent fix.

Hopefully during the service the interior noise issues can finally be fixed after a year and half of complaiging also.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

I had a recurring problem with the clutch pedal on my 2004 TSX having a catch and squeak near the end of it's travel. Each time the dealer would lube a small pivot pin which connects the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder shaft. That would fix the noise for a few thousand miles, but it would come back again. The final fix was to replace the clutch master cylinder and the problem was solved.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SicK TypeS
can anyone confirm this?
I just had the master cylinder changed and mine also has the 3 on the end of the part. I don't know if it truly has been redesigned.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How hard is it to replace it yourself? Am I correct in thinking that it's only the clutch master cylinder that needs to be replaced? Couldn't be to hard. Just figuring if it's easy, then i can fix mine without having to pay the dealer cause i'm a bit out of warranty. According to the e-store for acura, it's only around 50 bucks for the part. Pretty cheap and if it's not to hard then it's def worth doing it myself.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

I just had my master cyl replaced last month, due to the creak, click problem under warranty. I was able to look at the invoice and the total cost at the dealer was $254. Hopefully they had a reengineered part installed. Guess I'll find out in about 10-20k miles
Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced

i'm getting a creak using the clutch, but it's not from the clutch it's from my seat belt fastener rubbing on the driver seat, weird problem, but pisses me off, any clever way to fix this problem?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Driver/Detailer

Put some weatherstrip foam between the fastener and the seat?

Anyway, my car is going in next week for the creaking problem, hopefully I get a 2nd master cylinder change before my warranty is up.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

Well I finally had my fill of the creaking clutch pedal on my '05 and took it in for service. They kept the car for several days and ended up replacing the clutch pedal assembly. I drove off from the dealer pleased as the clutch was smooth as silk all the way back to my office. When I got in the car to drive home that evening the creaking clutch was back, only worse as now it creaked in both directions.

Took car back today as dealer advised a technician had a REAL fix for the problem. On the drive home it did not creak but it felt weird and mushy at the end/bottom of the clutch pedal travel. Once home I got out the shop light and crawled down to see what they had done. Unbelievable...they actually bent my clutch pedal to the left several inches to the point where it no longer makes contact with that rubber bumper pad on the firewall. The mushiness was because the pedal is now pressing into the carpet instead of that rubber bumper.

What does anyone else think of this so called REAL fix. Should I be concerned that this could cause other issues/problems in the future? Could this cause future problems with the CMC since the pedal is actually traveling further down than before.

Jeez, I traded my TL with the impending tranny doom for this 6Spd and now this clutch crap. I think this will be my last Acura.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Driver/Detailer

You dealer did a very dodgy fix. The problem was the master cylinder and nothing to do with the pedal assembly.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TSXy6spd
Well I finally had my fill of the creaking clutch pedal on my '05 and took it in for service. They kept the car for several days and ended up replacing the clutch pedal assembly. I drove off from the dealer pleased as the clutch was smooth as silk all the way back to my office. When I got in the car to drive home that evening the creaking clutch was back, only worse as now it creaked in both directions.

Took car back today as dealer advised a technician had a REAL fix for the problem. On the drive home it did not creak but it felt weird and mushy at the end/bottom of the clutch pedal travel. Once home I got out the shop light and crawled down to see what they had done. Unbelievable...they actually bent my clutch pedal to the left several inches to the point where it no longer makes contact with that rubber bumper pad on the firewall. The mushiness was because the pedal is now pressing into the carpet instead of that rubber bumper.

What does anyone else think of this so called REAL fix. Should I be concerned that this could cause other issues/problems in the future? Could this cause future problems with the CMC since the pedal is actually traveling further down than before.

Jeez, I traded my TL with the impending tranny doom for this 6Spd and now this clutch crap. I think this will be my last Acura.
To me that is TOTALLY unacceptable. I would take it back to the dealer and demand another new pedal assembly, this time left in OEM stock form, and get them to replace the clutch master cylinder as it is a known problem with this car. If they refuse, call Acura Customer Relations and detail to them what the issues were and how that bent an OEM part to try and pull the wool over your eyes as a "fix".
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

I would be really irate with something like that! I would have a bitch session with the service manager and Acura Cust relations at that point!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Hi, i've had this creaking clutch pedal for at least two years. I have an 04 TSX with nav. I've never been a fan of dealer services, as the dealers in Chicago tend to be jokes.

Has anyone discovered a solution to this problem? I've read lubricating the cable between the mc and the pedal can fix this, but I was under the impression TSX clutches are hydraulic... Also, what's the DYI fix for the clicking noise?

Any info or pics would be appreciated. This is a huge thread, and while i've looked through it quite thoroughly, everyone seems to be recommending a trip to the dealer. Any DYI info would be great.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Driver/Detailer

Dealer lubed it up this time. I have 1 month of warranty left, so hope that it comes back again. They said they "might" repair it under goodwill in the future.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Driver/Detailer

Ok, the head tech checked it out and said that if the master cylinder is bad on the clutch fluid side like on the 03 model (04 for you guys in the States), no amount of lube sprayed into the pushrod area would fix the creak. Since the lube is temporarily fixing it, the creaking sound is coming from the internal spring catching against the wall. The next fix would be to take out the master cylinder and then apply graphite grease to the pushrod area.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
such a dirty birdy

I recently had this fixed by the dealer while the car was in for something else. Not sure exactly what they did (I assume lube the cable) but I wasn't charged for the fix.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Driver/Detailer

There is no cable for your clutch because it is hydraulic.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the update~
I've been suffering through this the past few summers.. but now that it's getting cooler, it's going away.. and will probably return next summer.

at least it sounds like there won't be permanant long term damage? just the annoying creaking/clicking..
Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just barely noticed this yesterday. When i fully depress my clutch, I hear a slight click. Is this what you are all talking about? Hasn't really bothered me so far.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Racer

Well the dealer has replaced the clutch master cylinder......
the throw-out bearing......
and now the clutch pedal assembly...... ALL UNDER WARRANTY

I think they got it right with this last one..... cross-my-fingers.....

If this car isnt fixed....., its getting sold.......

Quick Reply: Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)