Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
Mine does.
same...

i had acura oil it and it went away but now its back
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^haha at least it was temporary. they couldn't even get mine to stop
Old 07-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor

foreal? weird...rosenthal? im going to take it back when i have some free time.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by curls
I was talking with my service advisor today, and told him my clutch pedal was clicking.

He asked: "Click, or creak?"

Conversation ensued, and this is the deal behind it:

1. There are TWO separate problems that people complain about, and they are very similar in sound/feel to the owner.
  • Clutch CLICKING. Distinct, crisp CLICK sound at bottom of pedal travel. Also might experience a more subtle click at top of clutch pedal IF the pedal was fully depressed before returning to the top. The cause: Clutch switch. The clutch switch is used to ensure that the pedal is fully pressed in before starting the car. The top "click" is caused by the upper switch, which <I think> is used for the cruise control - sensing if you've pressed the clutch at all. NO TSB has been released yet, but they expect one eventually. They know of the problem and it does happen in some other models as well (RSX has had a few complaints about it, as has the EL (Canada) and a few TL's).
  • Clutch CREAKING or SQUEAKING. More of a creak or muted squeak. The cause: inadequately lubricated linkage between the pedal and the clutch master cylinder. This is where the "replace master cylinder" treatment is applied, ALTHOUGH IS NOT FULLY NECESSARY. Just lubricating the linkage with appropriate grease should take care of the problem for a long time. I think the "replace master cylinder" was overkill from the service departments, as until recently, they didn't know the exact cause of the problem, so replacing everything that might squeak was the only feasible solution.

So, that's straight from the horse's mouth. Hopefully this will help some people diagnose their problem, and bring to everyones' attention that there are TWO SEPARATE PROBLEMS that might sound/feel almost the exact same to most people.

Cheers,
~Eric
i've had mine lubed twice in 4 months. It solves the problem for a short period of time, but comes right back. No clicking but a serious whine or shreak starting out in 1st. i'm gonna look into getting the master cylinder replaced.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Instructor

With reference to the Eric/Curls post quoted above, I'm pretty sure there is a third problem, the one that was solved when they replaced my CMC (see previous page).

A click (not creak or squeak) that is not the switches. You could kind of feel it binding on its way up, usually in the middle of the travel or near the top, but definitely not the starter kill switch at the bottom, nor the tiny cruise control switch at the top.

Since they replaced my CMC (a year ago maybe? I can't remember. Maybe more.) with a "-3" part number, it has never come back.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cconrad
With reference to the Eric/Curls post quoted above, I'm pretty sure there is a third problem, the one that was solved when they replaced my CMC (see previous page).

A click (not creak or squeak) that is not the switches. You could kind of feel it binding on its way up, usually in the middle of the travel or near the top, but definitely not the starter kill switch at the bottom, nor the tiny cruise control switch at the top.

Since they replaced my CMC (a year ago maybe? I can't remember. Maybe more.) with a "-3" part number, it has never come back.
I think I have to agree with you on this. I've never had my MC replaced (long out of warranty) but have had the area lubricated a few times out of goodwill. Each time, the lube stopped the CLICK, but only temporarily. The lube was applied to all linkage points, as well as the piston/pushrod that goes into the master cylinder. I believe the piston/pushrod has some binding going on inside, but the lube temporarily fixes it. When the lube wears off, the piston binds to the walls and then releases in a burst, causing a click sound as well as a sensation through the pedal and into my foot.

I think that's where the new MC comes into play -- there would be no binding immediately after replacing the MC since the piston and walls are brand new. But, I believe that over time, the likelihood of this coming back is pretty high, since it's probably a combination of metal-on-metal wear, as well as dust/dirt getting up in there from behind the piston (cabin-side, not engine-side) and causing ridges/debris build-up on the piston walls, leading to more clicking. I hope I'm wrong, and that the MC replacement fixes this for everyone, but I don't think that's been the case.

It would be interesting to count... out of the number of people who had the MC replaced, whose symptoms came back, and whose didn't, and more importantly, what part number the 'new' MC had.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Happy TSX owner

I had my master cylinder replaced after lubing didn't solve the problem when I was at 40K miles. I am at 65K miles now and the problem returned about 10K miles ago. I ignored it for a while ( I live in Minnesota and for me the problem happens only in summer, which is right around now), now I am again getting it fixed. Who knows what they will do... lube it again? I don't want to get my MC replaced again because I am out of warranty and don't want to shell out unnecessary bucks).
Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced

I Jig-A-Loo'd mine almost a year ago and so far clutch is smooth and quiet, even in these 100+ degree days!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is jig-a-loo ?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Advanced

its a silicone lubricant/water dispersant from canada they just started selling in the us. I found it at wal-mart
Old 08-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor

i took my car in fri because the noise is back and told them that the MCC needs to be replaced and they called me a few hours later and said that they will replace it (im sporting a 09 tsx as a loaner )
Old 08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

hey rabican, who is the service rep that you are dealing with? I need to use the same one bc the one I delt with didn't do anything to help me out
Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
hey rabican, who is the service rep that you are dealing with? I need to use the same one bc the one I delt with didn't do anything to help me out
My service rep's name is Denise, a older white guy.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Called my dealer during lunch to set up an appointment. Gotta wait until the 25th cus I need a loaner. I'll let everyone lnow what they do.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
TSXtuner

thanks a lot, it was just yesterday that my clutch started to click twice near the bottom. i guess im taking my car in soon, i just got it a week ago too....

(05 TSX 6MT 3rd owner 55000miles)
Old 08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
TSXtuner

i just got mine serviced this morning, under 50,000 so it was under warranty!!! thanks a lot curls for the tip or 5000 miles later it would have cost me a couple hundred dollars!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Advanced

I have a '05 model and had my MC replaced at about 17K miles because of the clicking problem. The replacement didn't do anything, and the problem got progressively worse. It got to the point where there was 3 clicks. Almost at the bottom of the travel was a very bad click that could be heard with the radio at 15 and could be felt through the foot. On the way up, there were two more clicks just as bad as the previously mentioned.

I brought in my car to the dealer again to see what they could do. Do you know what they told me? The clicking was normal and my shifting style caused the clicking symptoms. What a bunch of idiots. They even went as far as to tell me their technicians spoke with the person who designed the TSX clutch and there's nothing they could do about it.

So today (~45k miles now) I went and got the silicon spray everyone has been mentioning. 3 or 4 short sprays into the pushrod hole while the clutch was all the way down...and voila...no more clicks. The only click I can hear/feel now is the cruise control switch. Not to mention the clutch feels a lot less stiff (but I don't know if it's psychological or not).

But now I notice there's a squeak/creak coming from the engine area whenever I press the clutch. It's not audible from the interior when the door is closed and window is up, but it's definitely noticeable with the door/window open. Is this anything to worry about?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by calgary_tsx
ive had the creaking problem forever, I had it looked at about a year ago and the dealer lubed the linkages and master cylinder area and it went away for about a month and then started again. I just drive it, doesnt really bother me but I hope there is no LT damage from not getting it continually lubed

same here man... i bought a 04 tsx 6sp in march of 06 and ive had that problem from the start, and i took it in for them to look at it, and they lubed it, and it was gone for about a month, then came back and still there as of today...

im wondering if i change my clutch, it will fix that problem as well...
i have another question... if i change my clutch to like a stage 1 or 2 exedy, do i HAVE to get a new flywheel as well?? cuz thats what it says on the website im trying to buy it on, but someone told me that i dont have to, it would just help if i did...

and also, in low rpm, my car makes a high pitch grinding noise... do u think thats because of the clutch? or maybe the tranny??
Old 08-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:sigh: well my mc was replaced almost three years ago and the problem was solved.....until now. The creak has returned, I am of course out of warranty now. Guess I'll have to give the service man a call and see what I can get them to do.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had the "click" near the bottom of the clutch pedal travel - or maybe even two clicks. I could only feel it in warm weather. (2005 with 30,000 miles)

With the pedal fully depressed, I squirted the previously mentioned Jig-A-Loo lubricant down the piston shaft. The click disappeared immediately. It has only been a few days so I can't promise that it is a long term solution. But it will be all right if it has to be lubricated once a year or so.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
6th Gear

Hey all, I'm pretty new and have a few quick questions.
I drive a 07 6mt and i think my car is starting to get those CREAKING sound..., well i assume it is.
The sound is like a sqeekie grinding noise when i'm on first gear.
Ok... so my questions are...
Is getting the clutch or which ever part lubed under warrenty?
and is changing the master cylinder under the warrenty too?
lastly...
has any 1 complained about this problem at the acura of serramonte, or any bay area acura dealer?
I told the acura of serramonte about my problem, and the lady told me i had to change my whole clutch! I only have like 13,000 miles... ON MY CAR!
I'm positive my clutch is working fine and can last me another 100k.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
pvn
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by darowa
I've had the "click" near the bottom of the clutch pedal travel - or maybe even two clicks. I could only feel it in warm weather. (2005 with 30,000 miles)

With the pedal fully depressed, I squirted the previously mentioned Jig-A-Loo lubricant down the piston shaft. The click disappeared immediately. It has only been a few days so I can't promise that it is a long term solution. But it will be all right if it has to be lubricated once a year or so.

Confirmed! I have Accord Euro 2005 with 70 000km on it. I have two or three clicks at the bottom of the pedal. After lubricating inside the piston shaft with some silicon spray the pedal moves very smoothly and quiet. I have done this procedure only three days ago, but it look promising.

vtsx07, you may find the following thread useful:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/05-6-speed-tranny-noise-693756/#post10671789
Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Did Acura ever issue a TSB for the master cylinder problem?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lvcurvs
This is not a click or a creak but apparently I need to post this in here.
I've already lubed the points i've read about in this post and a couple people have mentioned the noise as a "verp" "screech" etc.. but nobody has offered a fix or an explanation as to the noise other then if you replace the clutch assembly it'll go away.

After the car is warmed up and i've driven it a little bit, Basically what happens is, if i'm stopped and about to start going, I'll start releasing the clutch and adding gas and sometimes it makes a screeching sound if I let the clutch out a little slower then normal. Almost like finger nails on a chalk board screech but more metallic and more hollow sounding and it's coming from the trans. not the pedal assembly.

Yeah, so that's a horrible description but it's the best i can do. My clutch doesn't slip at all when I push the car. I have a pretty high effort to get into gear at high rpm's and can rarely get into second at high rpm's unless I wait that split second before going to 2nd.

I'm almost at 80k and i'm the 2nd owner. It's an '04. I bought it certified through a dealer and I am SUPER anal about taking care of the car. Trans fluid has been changed among every other maint. item but havn't checked cutch. Do we have an clutch inspection plate like the older b series motors do? I do notice that i have a bearing noise that goes away when i push the clutch in but i have no clutch problems at all other then the noise. Is it about that time to change it?
did you ever get this issue resolved?

I think i am having the same issue with my 2005 TSX at 86000 miles.

When I release the clutch at 1st gear from a complete stop it is making a grinding/screeching noise. the clutch doesn't slip.
the noise start at when the clutch is half way released.

I am reading multiple post about something to do with the throwout bearing.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
took the car to acura north toronto this morning with the hopes of getting the CMC replaced. service advisor notified me that they will replace the CMC under the "major component" warranty (5 years or 100,000kms), as my basic warranty (3 years or 60,000kms) has expired. i will be picking the car up later today.

i hope this will be the end to the creaking and binding. it gets very annoying.

IIRC, there are new part numbers for the CMC components, which apparently are better designed/manufactured? can someone confirm this? i think i may have come to this conclusion from previous pages in this thread.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by julyccc
did you ever get this issue resolved?

I think i am having the same issue with my 2005 TSX at 86000 miles.

When I release the clutch at 1st gear from a complete stop it is making a grinding/screeching noise. the clutch doesn't slip.
the noise start at when the clutch is half way released.

I am reading multiple post about something to do with the throwout bearing.
Sure sounds like the throwout bearing. My Civic developed that with only about 60k miles. Honda opened some rubber boot and sprayed some lube in and it made it a lot better IIRC. Then at 90k springs started coming out of my clutch plate so it all got replaced.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
took the car to acura north toronto this morning with the hopes of getting the CMC replaced. service advisor notified me that they will replace the CMC under the "major component" warranty (5 years or 100,000kms), as my basic warranty (3 years or 60,000kms) has expired. i will be picking the car up later today.

IIRC, there are new part numbers for the CMC components, which apparently are better designed/manufactured? can someone confirm this? i think i may have come to this conclusion from previous pages in this thread.
so here are the details of the work order:

(1) 46920-S7A-A03 - M/C Assembly, Clutch
(2) 08798-9008C - Brake Fluid DOT
(1) 46942-S5A-003 - Snap Pin

clutch feels like new now (which it should, since it IS new). let's hope it stays this way...
Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 PM
10th Gear

I had the same problem with the clutch sticking/binding - under warranty dealership had lubed several times then finally replaced MC. Problem always came back - tried all types of spray lubricants - silicon, wd40, etc. The one that has worked for 6+ months for me is Permatex white lithium grease WL-9 (in a tube, non-spray) that you can find at any parts store. I just put a bunch of inside the piston/pushrod as best I could, took a few applications but this is the longest stretch without the annoying clutch noises that I have had.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 PM
dP-
Instructor

Originally Posted by afici0nad0

hey there. A couple of questions, did you have your servicing done there in the past? And what did you tell them? I've taken it to dealers in the past (Acura 2000) and they said they couldn't do anything as it was a known issue.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
2005/45,000 miles/4 years old
I reached the end of warranty and finally had the clutch master cylinder replaced.

I had the clicks (probably more than one) near the bottom of the pedal travel for the past 3 years. The clicks were only there when it was warmer (above 70 degrees).

Lubricating (down into the piston rod area) would make the clicks go away for various periods of time. I tried various lubricants - "Jig-A-Loo" probably worked for the longest period (weeks).

The master cylinder assembly was the -3 part (part 46920-S7A-A03) discussed by previous entries. It has only been a month, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix it for good.

Last edited by darowa; 08-21-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

I've taken the car in to two different dealearships at service intervals and both times they have told me that they do not hear any creaking. I don't think they are lying to me but it is really annoying the way this problem seems to come and go. Unfortunately each time the car is at the dealer the creaking doesn't seem to manifest itself. Reading through this thread I'm not sure that the question as to whether there was a SB issued was ever answered... anyone know? Also most of the DIY fixes seem to be only temporary anyone able to update with a lasting fix? Thanks for your answers in advance and maybe I need to print this thread for the dealer next time I take the car in .
Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by rabican
My service rep's name is Denise, a older white guy.
this is a joke right?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Advanced

Can anyone confirm whether or not they had any issues with grinding when shifting that was caused by the clutch master cylinder issue?

Also, has anyone had any experience with squeaking at the clutch slave cylinder, and if so, what was the solution?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Creaking Clutch on my 2006 TSX

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. It helped me get my clutch master cylinder replaced.
I'm hoping adding my story will help out someone else!

A few months ago my clutch started creaking (about 27K miles on my 2006 Acura TSX) both when pushed in and let out. I could both hear it and feel it. It seemed to get worse in hot weather over the summer. I took it in to the dealer a few times over a few months and they would lubricate the clutch. This would make the creaking go away for a few weeks and then it would be back. After reading this thread, I started pushing the dealership to look at the clutch master cylinder. The Acura dealership finally "called Acura" and was told to take apart the entire clutch and grease it. This was even worse and lasted 1-2 days before my clutch started creaking again. I took it in again and they "called Acura" again. Finally go the go ahead to replace the clutch master cylinder and the clutch pedal for some reason. Turns out the original clutch master cylinder had a slight leak in it, which was likely causing the problem. Got this all fixed under warranty and now the clutch is nice and smooth again. What a relief!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
4th Gear

I've found a good mechanic who has offered to replace the CMC for me pretty cheap if I provide the part. So my question is should I go with an OEM part or just one from autozone? Seems like it is unclear whether or not the OEM one actually solves the problem or not. If OEM is the way to go, please recommend reliable sites where I can order it from.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt04TSX
I've found a good mechanic who has offered to replace the CMC for me pretty cheap if I provide the part. So my question is should I go with an OEM part or just one from autozone? Seems like it is unclear whether or not the OEM one actually solves the problem or not. If OEM is the way to go, please recommend reliable sites where I can order it from.
Personally I would go with the factory Acura P/N 46920-S7A-A03.

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

Dealership replaced my CMC as my 06 was under warranty. Wonder how accomodating they would have been (ie goodwill) if it wasn't..
Old 06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Racer

my clutch is making the creeking/groaning sound and I have about 4-5 weeks left in my warranty.

I took it up to the dealership last week and they basically told me to piss off. they didn't even lubricate anything.

I'm going to drive up to the other dealer in town today and see if they say anything different
Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Advanced

I had the clutch click on my 2006 repaired this week with only about 700 miles left on my warranty. They gave me a brand new TSX with the tech package as a loner which I drove for 75 miles. It's a nice car but mine is a lot more fum and satisfying to drive. I felt 10 years older driving the 2010!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 AM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got my clutch pedal replaced by the dealership last year and it still clicked and creaked when i drove off the lot

it is worse when the weather is hot, especially during a heatwave.

people do need to update this thread though. I would like to confirm if it's the clutch master cylinder itself.

Quick Reply: Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)