Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
^^^Guess I better take mine in then. Im intermittently experiencing the same thing...

I found it to be temp. related, I had to drive the car around a bit before driving it into the service dept. to have the service writer experience the clicking.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
master47, yes you're right.. seems to happen when it's warm(summer time) and humid. Since fall and winter came around. Mine doesn't creak/squeak anymore. We'll see what happens in the spring/summer. The problems that the TSX's are having are notorious on the 2001-up civics aswell.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine only appeared after driving for 20 minutes. I actually timed it. I suspect that if the creaking clutch was caused by a faulty master cylinder like in my case, then it could cause unnecessary slipping of the clutch plate.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Instructor

I had my master cylinder replaced April 2005 at around 5300 miles because of the clicking/squeaking clutch syndrome (not the switch). Well guess what. Now the car has around 12,500 miles, and the clutch is acting up again. I hope there is a redesigned MC, because this is a PIA. Thank for the info.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by brett
I had my master cylinder replaced April 2005 at around 5300 miles because of the clicking/squeaking clutch syndrome (not the switch). Well guess what. Now the car has around 12,500 miles, and the clutch is acting up again. I hope there is a redesigned MC, because this is a PIA. Thank for the info.

What specific noise(s) is it making now?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:07 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Mine was replaced under warranty, so far so good!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Same click, high on the clutch pedal travel when letting the clutch out. At times it is so pronounced that I can feel it in my foot. It isn't the switch because I can hear that too if I really listen. Worst case they'll replace it again and I'll have to drive a TL around as a loaner.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Noobie 6MT driver

Aside from the noise, does anyone feel the pedal vibrate under your foot when engaging/disengaging the clutch? Did replacing the MC fix the problem?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

i don't feel any vibrations in mine
Old 02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXDude
Aside from the noise, does anyone feel the pedal vibrate under your foot when engaging/disengaging the clutch? Did replacing the MC fix the problem?
None here.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TSXDude
Yeah I'm feeling it too, something is catching, either the bushing or the piston in the MC. Either way, I'm gonna let the dealer figure it out, hey gotta flex that warranty !
Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Noobie 6MT driver

Originally Posted by goddsmack
Yeah I'm feeling it too, something is catching, either the bushing or the piston in the MC. Either way, I'm gonna let the dealer figure it out, hey gotta flex that warranty !
Yea, that was my first guess too, something is not right with the MC. I have loud squeeks in the summer time like many have stated here, but since it is so cold out, i doubt the dealer can reproduce the problem. I'm going to wait till summer and see.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

I had a clicking sound coming when i pressed on the clutch at only 23,000 miles...the dealership replaced the master clutch cylinder under warranty and now the problem is solved.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I just had my clutch MC replaced under warranty at 10,500 miles. The dealer tried the lubrication route, but it started creaking again after 2 days.

Does anyone else think the clutch feels lighter after having the clutch MC replaced? I don't know the details of the part, but I'm guessing it wouldn't change the spring rate. It does feel easier though, and certainly smoother.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by waterrockets
I just had my clutch MC replaced under warranty at 10,500 miles. The dealer tried the lubrication route, but it started creaking again after 2 days.

Does anyone else think the clutch feels lighter after having the clutch MC replaced? I don't know the details of the part, but I'm guessing it wouldn't change the spring rate. It does feel easier though, and certainly smoother.
I agree, i feel that the clutch is definitely easier to press...i dun know why, i dun see any logical reason y it would be easier, but it definitely feels a lot lighter to press.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Have camera, will travel

I'd guess it's because you have all new fluid in there. Just like the engine feels smoother right after an oil change.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waTSX
I'd guess it's because you have all new fluid in there. Just like the engine feels smoother right after an oil change.
Hmmm. I've never noticed a smoother engine following an oil change. I imagine I'd notice a rougher engine if I skipped oil changes...
Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kchotai
I agree, i feel that the clutch is definitely easier to press...i dun know why, i dun see any logical reason y it would be easier, but it definitely feels a lot lighter to press.
I wonder if the catch that was causing the creak was artificially increasing the spring rate until the point that it couldn't hold it any more, creaked, and released it. Now that it's gone, the spring rate remains constant?

This doesn't quite make sense since the creak was near the bottom in both directions, which makes me think something was just interfering at that point.

-Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 PM
VSA Rocks

I wonder if the catch that was causing the creak was artificially increasing the spring rate until the point that it couldn't hold it any more, creaked, and released it. Now that it's gone, the spring rate remains constant?

This doesn't quite make sense since the creak was near the bottom in both directions, which makes me think something was just interfering at that point.

-Mike
Interesting observation. As someone who has had this problem even after the dealer lubed and adjusted it, I think it is simply a case of badly mated parts. The switch is interfering more than it was intended to do so.

The master cylinder replacement appears to do the trick in most cases. However, I have a hunch that simply installing a brand new master cylinder with the same or similar dimensions as the replaced part will not be effective.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
However, I have a hunch that simply installing a brand new master cylinder with the same or similar dimensions as the replaced part will not be effective.
I'm crossing my fingers that it's a 2006 part that has changed somewhat...
Old 03-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Instructor

damn, i have 21K miles and started noticing this as well. i had the dealer look at it last week and they passed it off as normal. glad to know i wasn't imagining it.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:15 PM

Found this: http://www.ephatch.com/~stoop/a02-002r.pdf

Seems like the exact same fix that dealers are performing on the TSX as well. Makes sense considering it's basically every Honda out there that is affected by this bulletin.

I wonder if I can weasel my way to a new MC even though I'm 35,000km out of bumper-to-bumper warranty. Gonna call tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM

I also just checked, and the 2004 TSX uses version A01 of the master cylinder. The 2005 and 2006 uses the A02 version, which is the EXACT part number specified in the bulletin I just posted. Meaning, probably, the 2005 and 2006 has a better master cylidner and thus shouldn't have clicking/creaking.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by curls
Meaning, probably, the 2005 and 2006 has a better master cylidner and thus shouldn't have clicking/creaking.
I don't think so. I have a 2005 and have BOTH clicking and creaking.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by curls
I also just checked, and the 2004 TSX uses version A01 of the master cylinder. The 2005 and 2006 uses the A02 version, which is the EXACT part number specified in the bulletin I just posted. Meaning, probably, the 2005 and 2006 has a better master cylidner and thus shouldn't have clicking/creaking.
I wish I could say that my 2005 was free of the clicking/creaking issue. Like some others, its more prevalent in warm to hot weather, but even in normal weather I can hear the click.

I know there isn't an official TSB out there for the TSX (at least I don't know of one), but is there a good chance that my local Acura dealership would perform the fix if I were to show them the Honda one?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Pro

Hey Curls,
I'm going for an oil change at Camco tommorrow morning. I'll ask them about the issue. The last time I brought the problem up (september 05) they lubed the clutch assembly and it fixed the problem until now - as the hot weather has returned, so has the clutch clicking.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by crisco
Hey Curls,
I'm going for an oil change at Camco tommorrow morning. I'll ask them about the issue. The last time I brought the problem up (september 05) they lubed the clutch assembly and it fixed the problem until now - as the hot weather has returned, so has the clutch clicking.
Same with me -- they lubed the clutch assembly as well, fixed it for about 2 weeks, then it started coming back (warm weather?). Then it disappeared for the mostpart of the winter... and is back with a vengance today.

Please bring the PDF with you just to see what they think -- its worth a try, as it really is the EXACT part number that is in our cars.

Can you post here or PM me with some details? I want to get mine looked at ASAP as well even if I am out of the 3y/60,000 warranty. I've had it looked at "under goodwill" before this so its a known issue w/ my car anyhow.

Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Pro

ok, I'll bring it with me and let you know what they say. I'm also out of the warranty (@68000 km), but have the history of the issue beginning prior to the 60k mark.
Cheers.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

hmm...good info curls!

i actually brought my 05 in the other day for a service and take a look at the clicking as well. they just lubbed the spring, which worked for a few days, then the clicking came back. i brought it back and the service manager said it was a known problem and would replace the whole clutch assembly....not too sure if he meant just the MC or not.

anyways, its going to be done next week....hopefully this is a permanent fix!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starvin
hmm...good info curls!

i actually brought my 05 in the other day for a service and take a look at the clicking as well. they just lubbed the spring, which worked for a few days, then the clicking came back. i brought it back and the service manager said it was a known problem and would replace the whole clutch assembly....not too sure if he meant just the MC or not.

anyways, its going to be done next week....hopefully this is a permanent fix!
When I brought mine in, they lubed and adjusted and it hasent clicked since. This was about 3 months ago.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Pro

well, I brought the car in for its oil change - I told them about the clicking and how its been a recurrent problem etc etc.. I forgot to bring the TSB for the accord with me - doh! They essentially lubed the assembly again and so I'll monitor it and if (when) it returns, I'll go back and try to see if it can be addressed. The only thing about replacing the MC is that the problem will likely resurface since the design appears to be the problem - and not a defect in the part. What do you think??
Old 06-09-2006, 03:40 PM

well, I brought the car in for its oil change - I told them about the clicking and how its been a recurrent problem etc etc.. I forgot to bring the TSB for the accord with me - doh! They essentially lubed the assembly again and so I'll monitor it and if (when) it returns, I'll go back and try to see if it can be addressed. The only thing about replacing the MC is that the problem will likely resurface since the design appears to be the problem - and not a defect in the part. What do you think??
I'd think the problem is rare enough that you're better off w/ a new MC than none at all, as the odds of getting the clicking problem again are, hopefully, slim.

I wonder if the part number for the 05/06 is the updated one though? How common is this problem on 2005's? What about 2006's?

I didn't call them this week but will call Camco next week... who was your service advisor? I want to get someone on the phone who knows of this problem
Old 06-11-2006, 04:17 PM
'04 NBP / Parchment 6MT

They lubed mine. It was creaking again before I left their lot.

Next service, I'll hopefully get a new clutch master cylinder under warranty.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 PM

I actually dropped by the dealer for another reason today but mentioned my clicking came back a few weeks ago.

The tech (same guy that did my engine replacement) came out and used some silicone spray on the linkage between the pedal arm, and the master cylinder. Totally took care of it. The way he explained it is that even though its more of a click than a creak, in my case (and probably most others' cases as well), the master cylinder should not need to be replaced, but the linkage partially disassembled and lubed thoroughly.

He explained it as this: Since the MC is creating so much pressure (similar to a brake booster/master cylinder), it can actually cause the firewall to flex slightly, which causes piston misalignment, and thus a clicking noise when it straightens itself out suddenly.

The lube will help keep the linkage moving perfectly freely and hopefully not allow it to get partially stuck and thus click.

Seems OK again, we'll see how long it lasts this time. At least I know how to do it myself now.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Instructor

I finally got around to taking the car in for the clutch clicking again (around 14,500 miles). The first time the MC was replaced around 5000 miles in April 2005.

This time the dealer was once again able to reproduce the problem. The dealer called Honda who told them to replace the clutch pedal assembly on my car. We'll see...

Meanwhile, I have a 2006 TSX as a loaner.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Pro

Thanks for the info Curls. I find the clutch really travels well after they lube it. If it lasts through the summer, I'll be happy to have them lube it each time I bring it in for an oil change. No big deal I guess.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Have camera, will travel

Thanks for the info Curls. I find the clutch really travels well after they lube it. If it lasts through the summer, I'll be happy to have them lube it each time I bring it in for an oil change. No big deal I guess.
I was just blown off by the dealer for the second time on this issue. I have the intermittent clicking/creaking problem. They said they couldn't duplicate the creaking, and that they checked the linkage and it appeared to be properly lubed. I really didn't press the matter as the clutch operates as it should, but I'm not overly impressed with the service dept of this stealership (Hinshaws Acura for you WA staters).

I had the car in to have a stuck trunk release lever repaired for the second time. When I locked the lever it wouldn't unlock. This time they replaced the latch assembly, but improperly assembled the plastic cover when they put it back together. Now it doesn't line up properly (the piece that runs along the running board area).

at Hinshaws

I don't know where some of these dealers get their techs, but I'm not impressed.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Clutch pedal assembly was replaced, and now everything is back to normal. Hopefully this fix will last longer than 10,000 miles / 1 year.

BTW - The 2006 TSX was definitely nice, but not nice enough for me to want to trade in my 2004.

Originally Posted by brett
I finally got around to taking the car in for the clutch clicking again (around 14,500 miles). The first time the MC was replaced around 5000 miles in April 2005.

This time the dealer was once again able to reproduce the problem. The dealer called Honda who told them to replace the clutch pedal assembly on my car. We'll see...

Meanwhile, I have a 2006 TSX as a loaner.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Clicking came back already. Not as bad or as loud, but its there.

Gonna live with it until I fine a replacement MC that won't do this.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Registered Abuser

My car has the clutch pedal click now, after more than 2 years of ownership and just over 34,000 miles. Doesn't really bother me partly because depending on the shoes I am wearing, I can barely feel it. Not even gonna bother with the dealer, I figure its not worth my time.

Quick Reply: Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)