Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I think I started noticing this today. Can hear a squeak when pressing or releasing clutch pedal, but more than that, I feel a little feedback in my foot. Wouldn't describe it as a distinct click, but rather a portion of the travel feels like it is rubbing on something and not traveling smoothly. This seems like the same problem. Will try to have the dealer look at it; need to get in for my 30K service in a couple thousand miles; it seems there is no harm in living with it according to what I am reading here, is that correct?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your clutch is clicking, you need to read this...

I have a 2004 TSX that was purchased in late 2004, and I am now on my second clutch master cylinder (CMC)…. The symptoms are a clutch pedal that feels notchy at the bottom the of clutch pedal travel, with a distinct click heard as the pedal is pushed in, and sometimes as it comes out. The notchiness and the noise get worse over time and more noticeable as the temperature rises.

The first CMC was replaced at around 6000 miles. Turns out that the TSX uses the same CMC as the Civic, Accord, Element and CR-V (part number 46920-S7A-A01) so the dealer replaced the CMC per the 02-002 January 11, 2005 Honda service bulletin. The replacement CMC specified in the service bulletin has a different part number, which is 46920-S7A-A02. All was fine until around 12,000 miles, when the symptoms returned. The Acura dealer had already done the CMC replacement using part number 46920-S7A-A02, so they replaced the entire clutch pedal assembly. Of course this didn’t fix the problem, so I took the car back, and insisted the problem was with the CMC. The dealer called Acura, who told the dealer that there indeed still is an issue with the newer CMC, and they are working on a fix. This is exactly what is written on my service invoice, “Acura is working on correction, replaced clutch master cylinder & clip, OK after repair. ** Note: If noise comes back will be normal condition until updated repair/bulletin is available.”

So there you have it. There is still something wrong with the CMC, and Acura is aware of the issue. My car still has over two years of warranty left, so hopefully they will have the problem fixed by then. At the same time, if the noise comes back and they still don’t have a fix, I can guarantee and interesting conversation will follow.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by brett
This is exactly what is written on my service invoice, “Acura is working on correction, replaced clutch master cylinder & clip, OK after repair. ** Note: If noise comes back will be normal condition until updated repair/bulletin is available.”
Thanks for the info. What the dealer wrote on the service invoice about being normal condition is stupid. If there's a problem, then it's not normal. Because normal condition does not require any further actions.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yes, very informative.

is it possible to merge this thread with the 10+ page click/creak clutch thread?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

thanks for the info, your dealer has been really accommodating. my 2004 clutch clicks, but some lubrication every now and then makes it livable

Originally Posted by JTso
Thanks for the info. What the dealer wrote on the service invoice about being normal condition is stupid. If there's a problem, then it's not normal. Because normal condition does not require any further actions.
I think what they were saying is that they wont fix it any more until Honda/Acura puts out a new part
Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully there will be a TSB for this soon. My clicking has returned recently.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
thanks for the info, your dealer has been really accommodating. my 2004 clutch clicks, but some lubrication every now and then makes it livable

I think what they were saying is that they wont fix it any more until Honda/Acura puts out a new part
I stopped lubricating my CMC assembly because I get pissed every time I do and the noise/click-feeling returns. It doesn't get past a "point" of badness... its just plateau's at a distinct click/noise and nothing else.

Until the newer CMC comes out (I'll be waiting), I'm gonna leave it as-is right now. Then I'll spend the $100-$150 on a new CMC and install it myself (out of warranty long, long ago - I'm at 100,010 km today w/ only a 60,000km bumper-to-bumper warranty)

Mods: Can you merge this with the thread I created a long time ago "The skinny on the clutch clicking/creaking problem" (or something along those lines) ?? Thanks!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xizor
That is exactly what they were saying. They gave me the "option" of waiting until the new fix was in, with no idea as to how long it will be until Acura/Honda has issued a new TSB. Why would I do that?

It just bugs me that they have confirmed there is a known defect in the design of the car, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix it. How many people are driving around with this annoying clicking clutch syndrome, and just accepting it?

I've had a number of Honda products over the years, and this makes me want to think twice about getting another one...
Old 09-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Sine they can't fix the problem does lemon law apply?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sidssp
Sine they can't fix the problem does lemon law apply?
Not under the Illinois Lemon Law:

"...vehicles in their first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first"

Besides, it is "fixed" for the moment. The question is if it will happen again in 6000 miles or so. Maybe I'll get lucky and won't have any more clutch clicking issues. Only time will tell.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i got the clicking crutchiness too
Old 09-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Add me to the list...mine go's in on Thursday for a new CMC under warranty. Mind you, they never mentioned anything about a bulletin exisiting to this effect.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
I guess, I should take mine in too..
Old 09-12-2006, 06:47 PM
mmmmmm....

I just called and they are going to check out my car tomorrow. Hopefully, they can replace it. thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the clicking at the very bottom for at least 10k miles or more. It hasn't become worse, so I'm just living with it.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:31 AM
o-qua tangin wann

good to know im not the only one

my warranty is up tho, when I asked about the extended warranty they said they'd call me back, im still waiting... course i lacked to follow up on my half, who has inertia when ur getting poor poor service?

guess im gonna learn to live with it
Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
The Power of a Grill

yeah, where is this service bulletin you speak of?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
The Power of a Grill

closest TSB i could find:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: MFG Bulletin Number: 903

MFG Bulletin Date: 20030916

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Details: HARD TO ENGAGE 1ST GEAR, GRINDS INTO REVERSE. TECH LINE SUMMARY. *TT

Internal use: 20040212
Old 09-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
threads merged so all the info/discussion is in one thread.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by San-AnT
closest TSB i could find:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: MFG Bulletin Number: 903

MFG Bulletin Date: 20030916

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Details: HARD TO ENGAGE 1ST GEAR, GRINDS INTO REVERSE. TECH LINE SUMMARY. *TT

Internal use: 20040212
hmm i have the nearly the oposite problem .. hard to engage reverse
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
hmm i have the nearly the oposite problem .. hard to engage reverse
Old trick that works on many cars: When you want to shift into reverse, put the shifter into 1st, then go right to reverse (never releasing the clutch in between)... should help you get into reverse smoother.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Clicking clutch here - happens when engine warmer. Seems absent initially at start-up and for a short while after.
Only clicks on the way down, never (IIRC) on the way up.
Due it's 75K service, so I'll have the dealership give it a once over.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by San-AnT
yeah, where is this service bulletin you speak of?

Here: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...tachmentid=488

It is a Honda TSB, but it is for the same CMC part number used on the TSX.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Juice!

I had the clicking clutch problem also. Not the creak, the click. However, replacing the clutch switch and lubrication did not fix the problem. In the end, replacing the master cylinder did the trick.

It took some patience with the dealership as they systematically troubleshot the problem. After all, they were just doing their job. 1st they lubricated the rod that the clutch presses into the master cylinder, and the creaking came back. Next the clutch switch was replaced and it didn’t fix it. Finally, the master cylinder was replaced and the problem was fixed.

In my case, it was clicking and replacing the clutch switch did not do the trick. It was not until the master cylinder was replaced that the problem went away.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM

OhNoItsMe: How long have you had the new MC in there without the problem coming back?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Advanced

As mentioned, just had my CMC replaced under warranty and have had the car for three days now….I must say, it is great to have a clutch again! I have always hated the feel of the clutch since the day I bought the car, with the new CMC it has a whole new (and vastly improved) feel to it.

I asked the dealership if this was common problem; they responded by telling me that they have sold so few manuals that they have no clue. Either way, I am far happier now. I will advise if the problem returns.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced

My clutch pedal has had the same problem for some time. This past Saturday, my car was in my usual shop for general maintenance. When I told them about the CMC problem, and showed them some of this thread, they took a look. They "reversed" the linkage (with the safety pin) - basically turned it 180 degrees - and now no more creak. This is "band aid" and I'm waiting to see when the problem comes back.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by gkkitag
My clutch pedal has had the same problem for some time. This past Saturday, my car was in my usual shop for general maintenance. When I told them about the CMC problem, and showed them some of this thread, they took a look. They "reversed" the linkage (with the safety pin) - basically turned it 180 degrees - and now no more creak. This is "band aid" and I'm waiting to see when the problem comes back.
Any idea how easy/difficult this would be for a DIY job? I wouldn't mind trying it if it fixes the clicking, even temporarily.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

ya, can you elaborate on the process?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by curls
Any idea how easy/difficult this would be for a DIY job? I wouldn't mind trying it if it fixes the clicking, even temporarily.
The tech only took hour and half so it shouldnt be that hard. As long as have the right tool and time. I just got mine done under warranty and its awesome. So smooth!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

Took my car in to complain about a creaking noise. They checked it out and found the problem. The CMC was the culprit.

Having the CMC replaced tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

Clutch pedal clicking

I've had the same issues with my o4 TSX. The clutch pedal clicks when depressed, and sometimes when released. While it doesn't impact the driveability, it's really annoying! The first time I took it into the dealer they lubricated it, and that last solved the problem for a couple days. The second time I took it into the dealer, they replaced the clutch master cyclinder and that appeared to solve the problem -- for about a week. Now it's doing it agan and it's actually worse than ever. I've tried to figure out if it clicks under certain circumstances, but for the most part it appears to be random (non-weather/ temp related). What else can I do -- take it back to Acura for a third time?? They have to know about this issue. Why can't they fix it? Is it just a design flaw? I was actually surprised to see that so many people have had this same issue and that it's not just my car. I really want to like this car, but I've had it two years now and I've had too many problems with it. (A/C clutch failure, warped front rotors, and now a clicking clutch pedal!)
Old 10-13-2006, 01:55 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by AZSCOTT
I've had the same issues with my o4 TSX. The clutch pedal clicks when depressed, and sometimes when released. While it doesn't impact the driveability, it's really annoying! The first time I took it into the dealer they lubricated it, and that last solved the problem for a couple days. The second time I took it into the dealer, they replaced the clutch master cyclinder and that appeared to solve the problem -- for about a week. Now it's doing it agan and it's actually worse than ever. I've tried to figure out if it clicks under certain circumstances, but for the most part it appears to be random (non-weather/ temp related). What else can I do -- take it back to Acura for a third time?? They have to know about this issue. Why can't they fix it? Is it just a design flaw? I was actually surprised to see that so many people have had this same issue and that it's not just my car. I really want to like this car, but I've had it two years now and I've had too many problems with it. (A/C clutch failure, warped front rotors, and now a clicking clutch pedal!)
You should take it back and tell them that it got worst. I got my done two months ago and runing without a problem. Take care of this before your warrenty runs out. Dont be afraid to take it back..thats what warrenty is for and you paid for.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:12 PM
o-qua tangin wann

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
You should take it back and tell them that it got worst. I got my done two months ago and runing without a problem. Take care of this before your warrenty runs out. Dont be afraid to take it back..thats what warrenty is for and you paid for.

ya, get it before ur warranty is up...

/me is screwed
Old 10-13-2006, 04:00 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by bigblazinboot
ya, get it before ur warranty is up...

/me is screwed
Sorry to hear that but if I remember correctly, the CMC part cost about $275 ish (saw the dealer the writing down the price of the part) and install would cost about $150 ish ($50 per hr., its takes 1 1/2 to swap it) so $400 should able to cover the damage...
If your CMC is getting worst then you might wnat to consider doing this.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:01 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Your Maths is out of whack.
1.5x 50 is 75, not 150 - that's 3x.
FWIW, I too had the creak and click - the click not occurring all the time.
At the service just done, I asked them to have a look at it - grease it probably and the passenger doors as well.
Now, all's quite as a mouse.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:10 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by PJS
Your Maths is out of whack.
1.5x 50 is 75, not 150 - that's 3x.
FWIW, I too had the creak and click - the click not occurring all the time.
At the service just done, I asked them to have a look at it - grease it probably and the passenger doors as well.
Now, all's quite as a mouse.
hahaha! you are right...I was in class and wasnt really paying attention to what I was typing. yeah, it should be around $100 at the most for the labor..
Old 10-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Racer

"I went into my dealership and they said Acura is aware of it and is going to issue a TSB/repair on it soon. No word on when, but he did mention replacing the MC does not repair it (I assume he means the current MC's). He mentioned it also affects RSX's too."

"I have a 2004 TSX that was purchased in late 2004, and I am now on my second clutch master cylinder (CMC)…. The symptoms are a clutch pedal that feels notchy at the bottom the of clutch pedal travel, with a distinct click heard as the pedal is pushed in, and sometimes as it comes out. The notchiness and the noise get worse over time and more noticeable as the temperature rises.

The first CMC was replaced at around 6000 miles. Turns out that the TSX uses the same CMC as the Civic, Accord, Element and CR-V (part number 46920-S7A-A01) so the dealer replaced the CMC per the 02-002 January 11, 2005 Honda service bulletin. The replacement CMC specified in the service bulletin has a different part number, which is 46920-S7A-A02. All was fine until around 12,000 miles, when the symptoms returned. The Acura dealer had already done the CMC replacement using part number 46920-S7A-A02, so they replaced the entire clutch pedal assembly. Of course this didn’t fix the problem, so I took the car back, and insisted the problem was with the CMC. The dealer called Acura, who told the dealer that there indeed still is an issue with the newer CMC, and they are working on a fix. This is exactly what is written on my service invoice, “Acura is working on correction, replaced clutch master cylinder & clip, OK after repair. ** Note: If noise comes back will be normal condition until updated repair/bulletin is available.”

So there you have it. There is still something wrong with the CMC, and Acura is aware of the issue. My car still has over two years of warranty left, so hopefully they will have the problem fixed by then. At the same time, if the noise comes back and they still don’t have a fix, I can guarantee and interesting conversation will follow."

-So has a new cmc been issued by acura/honda....... because once it does I am definetly going in to get it replaced......, I wonder how long it will take???
Old 10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Racer

Nothing....??
Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Racer

well...., keep us filled in if these issue a new part to fix this bull-shit.....

Quick Reply: Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)