Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)

Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had everything but the transmission replaced and it still creaks and grinds!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post in here also:

My 07 TSX 6 speed MT with 20,000 miles began to grind in reverse gear and the forward gears felt notchy. Acura of Westchester in Larchmont NY has confirmed that the clutch pressure plate and the throw out bearing needs to be replaced and hopefully they say it should be completed by Tuesday.

I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks,
Dinis
Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
The DIY fix would be to spray silicone lube into the hole where the pushrod goes in behing the clutch pedal.
i need to do this again. last application was last summer. creaking has come back. seems like it prefers the summer months...
Old 05-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Intermediate

video of clutch creak

I posted some video of the clutch creaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq50ahZrROU
Old 05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmwbadboy

Hmm mine doesn't have that kind of problem, but sounds like the pedal problem that's been talked about.

The noise mine makes is identical to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbWSU1SOEw
Old 05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you "feel" the creak in the pedal when it happens? I'd hesitate to guess it's a dry pivot in the clutch pedal linkage, somewhere. However, if the noise is coming from beyond the firewall (in the engine bay), it could be big trouble (throwout bearing?) and I'd get it looked at ASAP.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tmak
Hmm mine doesn't have that kind of problem, but sounds like the pedal problem that's been talked about.

The noise mine makes is identical to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbWSU1SOEw
Does yours sound like it's coming from the pedal assembly, or under the hood? Yours sounds more like a throwout bearing than bmwbadboy's, but it's hard to tell from a vid "like" yours and without being there in person. Throwout bearing is bad news, so get it diagnosed ASAP.

No clutch should creak like that unless it's toast and very old.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by curls
Does yours sound like it's coming from the pedal assembly, or under the hood? Yours sounds more like a throwout bearing than bmwbadboy's, but it's hard to tell from a vid "like" yours and without being there in person. Throwout bearing is bad news, so get it diagnosed ASAP.

No clutch should creak like that unless it's toast and very old.
it sounds like it's coming from under the hood and not the pedal assembly..

I brought the car for an inspection and the tech had no idea what it was.. what can I do if this is the case?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

The noise occurs only when I release the clutch and apply throttle at the same time.. if I let the clutch out quickly it makes this noise, if I drive smoothly it's fine. No squeeking noise when the clutch is depressed.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmak
it sounds like it's coming from under the hood and not the pedal assembly..

I brought the car for an inspection and the tech had no idea what it was.. what can I do if this is the case?
Clutch release fork might need some lubrication.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

My TSX went into the shop with the creak in my video. They replaced the clutch,PP, and TOB. I drove it off the lot and the clutch was creaking. Why Acura thought it needed a $2000 clutch job is beyond my comprehension. The car has been in the shop 5 times just for the clutch creak/squeak problem and for about 3 weeks altogether and they still can't fix it!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

So did Acura ever publish a TSB for the clutch CREAKING or SQUEAKING? Since the closest Acura dealer is somewhat of a haul for me, I don't want to have to make 3+ trips to them to get this corrected. My '06 has started these noises intermittently last fall, but they seemed to go away in the winter months. Now, they seem to be back and are pretty darn consistent.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Advanced

05 TSX (49K miles currently) - had the clutch master cylinder replaced a couple years ago - don't know which part number they used. Clicking came back (not creaking, but clicking that you can feel). I went back to the dealer last week and they lubed it and the clicking is gone for the moment. They said after talking to the Acura rep. that they would replace the pedal assembly also. I am taking it in on Thursday for the pedal replacement - will see how that goes. But I don't have much hope that this will solve the problem permanently based on several posts here.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

I'm not aware of any TSB's. My attorney sent the dealer a subpoena for all docs, including TSB's related to my case. I'll find out if there are any TSB's for this problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know what kind of lube Acura is using to do this master cylinder lubrication? Instead of spending a lot of time driving to the Acura dealer, I plan to just have a mechanic friend of mine take care of it (assuming it's a simple thing to do). Maybe he'll know what to use, but I thought I'd ask here just to see what people know/recommend. Thanks...
Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Driver/Detailer

If you can get your mechanic to replace the master cylinder for you, get him to lube the new one up with graphite grease. That was what my dealer did after the 2nd master cylinder replacement. It has been good for the past 6 months and counting.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks aaronng. I actually don't plan for him to replace the master cylinder though. My car is still under warranty, so I'd let Acura pay for that. From all accounts I've read, replacing the master cylinder was overkill and not really needed -- so I'm willing to try just lubing my original one first. I'll make sure he has some graphite grease (else I'll buy him some).
Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Driver/Detailer

I've been told that once you pull out the old master cylinder, a new one should be used and the old one has to have the seals rebuilt. Not sure how true this is, but keep this in mind.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I didn't realize the master cylinder had to be pulled out to lube the linkage. That does change things...
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by STL
I didn't realize the master cylinder had to be pulled out to lube the linkage. That does change things...
No it doesn't have to be pulled. The linkage is lubed from inside the vehicle. The MC is located under the hood.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by STL
No, you don't have to pull out the MC if you are lubing the linkage or spraying silicone lube into the piston gap. But if you want to do the same fix using graphite grease in the MC that my dealer did, then you will have to pull the MC out.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

bmwbadboy,
So did you find any TSBs or other official Honda/Acura docs that acknowledge the creaky clutch issue?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Driver/Detailer

There is a TSB for almost every model of Honda, but the TSX is not listed in it. Same problem though.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Intermediate

Have not seen any TSB's on the clutch issue yet. Waiting to see what Honda sends along in the TSB's that were subpoenaed.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Driver/Detailer

Have not seen any TSB's on the clutch issue yet. Waiting to see what Honda sends along in the TSB's that were subpoenaed.
Here is the Honda TSB: http://rapidshare.com/files/12178919...ueak_.pdf.html
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Question

What is really odd is that Honda/Acura hasn't come out with a superseding TSB that says the following (from the first post in this thread):
* Clutch CREAKING or SQUEAKING. More of a creak or muted squeak. The cause: inadequately lubricated linkage between the pedal and the clutch master cylinder. This is where the "replace master cylinder" treatment is applied, ALTHOUGH IS NOT FULLY NECESSARY. Just lubricating the linkage with appropriate grease should take care of the problem for a long time. I think the "replace master cylinder" was overkill from the service departments, as until recently, they didn't know the exact cause of the problem, so replacing everything that might squeak was the only feasible solution.

Or maybe Curls got same bad info. BTW, did anyone ever establish what "appropriate grease" really was?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by STL
What is really odd is that Honda/Acura hasn't come out with a superseding TSB that says the following (from the first post in this thread):
* Clutch CREAKING or SQUEAKING. More of a creak or muted squeak. The cause: inadequately lubricated linkage between the pedal and the clutch master cylinder. This is where the "replace master cylinder" treatment is applied, ALTHOUGH IS NOT FULLY NECESSARY. Just lubricating the linkage with appropriate grease should take care of the problem for a long time. I think the "replace master cylinder" was overkill from the service departments, as until recently, they didn't know the exact cause of the problem, so replacing everything that might squeak was the only feasible solution.

Or maybe Curls got same bad info. BTW, did anyone ever establish what "appropriate grease" really was?
The grease the tech used for mine was the "Shin-etsu" (sp?) silicone grease. So I assume that's basically the appropriat grease since he was the one who told me what I wrote in the original post. Shin-etsu is used a LOT for Honda/Acura cars and is a top quality silicone lubricant.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 PM
STi'd

I had the creaking clutch pedal and sprayed some silicone lubricant from inside the car, under the dash where the clutch pedal pushes into the firewall. Seems to have fixed it for now.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by gavinn58
I had the creaking clutch pedal and sprayed some silicone lubricant from inside the car, under the dash where the clutch pedal pushes into the firewall. Seems to have fixed it for now.
Which makes me think that the creak comes from the master cylinder and not the linkage. If it was the linkage, then lubing the master cylinder shouldn't have fixed your problem.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Intermediate

I have an 06 with 7700 miles. I had clutch "clicking" that I couldn't hear but that I could feel. In the last couple of weeks it seems to have gone away, but I'm sure it will come back. Would this be the switch for the ignition check?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
STi'd

Originally Posted by aaronng
Which makes me think that the creak comes from the master cylinder and not the linkage. If it was the linkage, then lubing the master cylinder shouldn't have fixed your problem.
Hmm, maybe I'm mis-understanding but I lubed the linkage and never the MC. I followed both these previous posts:

No, you don't have to pull out the MC if you are lubing the linkage or spraying silicone lube into the piston gap. But if you want to do the same fix using graphite grease in the MC that my dealer did, then you will have to pull the MC out.
No it doesn't have to be pulled. The linkage is lubed from inside the vehicle. The MC is located under the hood.
Is this correct?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by gavinn58
Hmm, maybe I'm mis-understanding but I lubed the linkage and never the MC. I followed both these previous posts:

Is this correct?
The MC is spray lubed from the inside. It is where the piston goes into the firewall. I assumed that linkage meant the metal pieces that are between that piston and the pedal itself (you know, the mechanical bits).

You said you sprayed lube into where the pedal pushes into the firewall, which is the piston going into the firewall? If so, what you just did is "lube the MC using spray silicone". The "pull out MC and use graphite grease" is a more permanent and longer lasting method, but essentially a similar fix.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 PM
STi'd

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Driver/Detailer

Last night, I had a feeling that the creak was coming back in my clutch MC. Oh well, I guess even the graphite fix is not permanent. Time to spray some silicone.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 PM
ABP 6MT

I've had an ongoing issue with this. I was afraid that I was going to go postal so I finally applied the quick fix a few weeks ago (sprayed silicone lubricant into the MC from under the dash, where the piston goes into the firewall). A few days ago the creak started to come back and I reapplied the spray...So the 'quick fix' only lasted for a few weeks.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Is it really overkill?

Originally Posted by STL
... I think the "replace master cylinder" was overkill from the service departments, as until recently, they didn't know the exact cause of the problem, so replacing everything that might squeak was the only feasible solution. ...
Many different clicks, creaks, and squeaks have been described in this thread, and I doubt if they're all caused by the same thing. I had a distinctive clicking sound when releasing the clutch. It could be felt in the foot more than heard, though it could be heard somewhat too. It seemed like the piston was catching on something in the cylinder. It wasn't the starter kill switch; that's a much smaller click and I could easily distinguish the two. It also wasn't a squeak or a creak. I had the dealer replace the CMC under warranty quite some time ago and the problem never came back. That part number had a -3 or something like that on the end (see my earlier post on this), which suggested to me that the part may indeed have been updated. So, for my problem, I think this was the right solution.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Cruisin'

If anything try try the cheap solution and lube the linkages near the clutch pedal first....
There may be a how to in the service manual.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

question...do you all get the click/creak when the car is off?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:56 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by cconrad
That part number had a -3 or something like that on the end (see my earlier post on this), which suggested to me that the part may indeed have been updated. So, for my problem, I think this was the right solution.
I had my master cylinder replaced about 10 months ago, problem has yet to return. My replacement part too had a -3 part number.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
question...do you all get the click/creak when the car is off?
Mine does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking & Creaking Clutch (the merged thread)