RDX Down Pipe and CAT delete!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I just checked E-bay, it was $800 yesterday, now it's 750, and it says you have 5 to sell as they will no longer be made/discontinued.
So you guys just abandoned the project?
Keep making the upper S pipe where the real restriction is, with connection to the stock mid-pipe, for $300 or less and you'll sell them.
Only issue is the Cel.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Don't worry about it, they'll be available on a made to order basis in the future!

And btw Joe, both yourself and Don seem to live in the same neck of the woods, you should go link with him and get a test drive and see the performance gains for yourself
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
I hope somebody will do this mod soon so we'll know the pros and cons.
I would only do this mod for the upper pipe to lose the restriction, but I would leave the mid pipe/with stock cat intact, they should do that option too, making it so that it bolts on to the stock midpipe.
All flanges bolt up to stock so no problems there
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Wspy - did you order a unit from Don or has anyone else on this forum?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Originally Posted by JCRDX11
Wspy - did you order a unit from Don or has anyone else on this forum?
Mine is the second one made! Just awaitng the o2 fix before shipment
Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by wspy
Mine is the second one made! Just awaitng the o2 fix before shipment
It is the electronic fix/plug for it correct?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
2008 Acura RDX

It is the electronic fix/plug for it correct?
Yes
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Pro

All flanges bolt up to stock so no problems there
They should keep making the upper then, so it would be cheaper, so did they quit making them, like they mentioned on E-bay or what?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
$750 with the buy it now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/acura...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LC2ner
Quoting fromE-bay: This may cause a check engine light. THIS PIPE IS A CLOSEOUT I HAVE 5 TO SELL THEY ARE DISCONTINUED AND I WILL NO LONGER PRODUCE
Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have said before and I will again, I will buy the down pipe right now. Actually, I am one of a handfull that actually put my money where my mouth is and paid the downpayment to HT. The midpipe to me is a joke. I have no desire for it, I'm for the 80/20 effect. The downpipe will give you most of your gains. The midpipe for a couple hundred is ridiculous. Selll me the downpipe for $300-450 and its a done deal. (I've already spent the money to prove I'm serious). I'll even help with some R&D with CELs for the opportunity to get this thing going.

I talked on phone to the people making this pipe offering my services to help move this forward. Show me YOU are serious.
There is a market here for this product. People just need to work together to get this thing off the ground. Any remotely smart vendor would see as the price of these cars drop they get in the hands of younger and more tuner crowd. a little r&d now will pay off big in the long term.

BTW my downpipe for my Audi, which parts are universally more expensive, was $150.

Step it up Acura crowd
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Originally Posted by OhRDX
I have said before and I will again, I will buy the down pipe right now. Actually, I am one of a handfull that actually put my money where my mouth is and paid the downpayment to HT. The midpipe to me is a joke. I have no desire for it, I'm for the 80/20 effect. The downpipe will give you most of your gains. The midpipe for a couple hundred is ridiculous. Selll me the downpipe for $300-450 and its a done deal. (I've already spent the money to prove I'm serious). I'll even help with some R&D with CELs for the opportunity to get this thing going.

I talked on phone to the people making this pipe offering my services to help move this forward. Show me YOU are serious.
There is a market here for this product. People just need to work together to get this thing off the ground. Any remotely smart vendor would see as the price of these cars drop they get in the hands of younger and more tuner crowd. a little r&d now will pay off big in the long term.

BTW my downpipe for my Audi, which parts are universally more expensive, was $150.

Step it up Acura crowd
The RDX has 2 Catalytic Converters, one is in the downpipe and the other is in the mid pipe.
Both provide restictions to exhaust flow.
Removal of the first one (in the downpipe) causes the engine check light.

This product DDP, has nothing to do with and is in no way affiliated with Heel Toe! Those of you who made a downpayment with HT will have to wait for them to make their own product! Either that or get your money back and then purchase the DDP!

Engine Check Light
There is no more R&D required for this product (mechanical fix)!
The electronic fix is being tested now and will be an additional cost!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM
2008 Acura RDX

DDP on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...29357580472961

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/acura...d=243988890199
Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by OhRDX

Step it up Acura crowd
I'm not promoting the price here, but...Why would you go through all that trouble, or expense if you paid someone else to R&R the downpipe, and not remove them both. It IS another restriction to performance.

Once you remove that first pipe the second one is going to take all the load and start plugging up faster anyhow. You might as well kill two birds with one stone.
The following users liked this post:
prongATO (02-01-2013)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
2008 Acura RDX

^^

prongATO (02-01-2013)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Instructor

You would be suprised how much of a difference just the up-pipe will make. Again, read my post. Getting 80 for the 20. Not saying all performance will be gained, but if I can get 80% of it for (ok, 1/2) the price I will do it. Plus I prefer to have one cat to keep noise, smell, and soot out. Also, down the line a mid-pipe is an easy addition (relatively speaking).

Anyways. I just hope people start putting up the money after asking for so long. this car could use a better aftermarket.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Pro

This mod is useless for the RDX, nobody bought an RDX to go off-road or go drag racing, if they wanted a real off road vehicle, they would have bought a Grand cherokee, if they wanted to drag race, they would have bought a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and slapped a Vortech supercharger on it, both vehicle can be bought used for less money than a used RDX too.
People bought an RDX for the same reason I'll get one, best AWD system ever, especially for street performance, small size, luxurious interior, reasonable ground clearance, best performance of any crossovers out there, and can be bought used for a good price.
My point is, nobody is gonna screw up a nice ride by deleting both cats, making it stink, get a Cel, and fail inspection, even in Nevada where all they do is plug in the tester in the OBD plug, if you have an engine light relating to emission or unknown, you will fail, so, that mod is not even good here.
What we need is the same pipes you guys did, good job BTW, but make them come with Hi-Flo cats (in stock locations with good heat shields) such as Magnaflow cats, which are very inexpensive, that way performance is increased, restrictions are gone thanks to your well designed pipes, no Cel, no stink, better fuel economy, then and only then, would that $800 price tag be justified, I would buy it for sure if you made it that way.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM
2008 Acura RDX

This mod is useless for the RDX, nobody bought an RDX to go off-road or go drag racing, if they wanted a real off road vehicle, they would have bought a Grand cherokee, if they wanted to drag race, they would have bought a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and slapped a Vortech supercharger on it, both vehicle can be bought used for less money than a used RDX too.
People bought an RDX for the same reason I'll get one, best AWD system ever, especially for street performance, small size, luxurious interior, reasonable ground clearance, best performance of any crossovers out there, and can be bought used for a good price.
My point is, nobody is gonna screw up a nice ride by deleting both cats, making it stink, get a Cel, and fail inspection, even in Nevada where all they do is plug in the tester in the OBD plug, if you have an engine light relating to emission or unknown, you will fail, so, that mod is not even good here.
What we need is the same pipes you guys did, good job BTW, but make them come with Hi-Flo cats (in stock locations with good heat shields) such as Magnaflow cats, which are very inexpensive, that way performance is increased, restrictions are gone thanks to your well designed pipes, no Cel, no stink, better fuel economy, then and only then, would that $800 price tag be justified, I would buy it for sure if you made it that way.
Joe you sound a little "get on the bus, get off the bus" here!
And it is obvious that you are not a 'tuner dude' so to speak.
And BTW you don't speak for the majority...really its just your opinion!!

And a little education for your benefit; Once the electronic fix is completed there will be no check lights present so when the inspection guys plug up to the OBD connector, it will read normal obviously...... i mean really dude come on!!

Thanks, the pipes are quite nice actually, but your suggestion about the high flow cats would almost double the price. It was considered and researched and there were inherent problems encountered in order to make it fit/work.
prongATO (02-01-2013)
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Pro

I modded my RT to the max including no cats and the exhaust fumes were unbearable, you're just too lazy to do it right by adding hi-flo cats, and rationalizing your work by saying everything is fine with no cats, nobody bought an RDX to screw it up, especially not for $800.
Doesn't matter anyway, you mention on E-bay you won't be making them anymore, sold any yet?
All I did before was suggest how to make it perfect, but you're too stubborn to take anything I said into consideration, you're welcome!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Pro

Just wanted to let you know that this happen to me when the check engine came on -
(I just have weapon R intake and a hybrid bov)

It will also throw a code for the SH-AWD and VSA which causes it to stop working.
SH-AWD gauge show no movement on the back wheel and you can feel just the front wheel working.

Not sure if it will happen with the downpipe but felt that I need to let other member know with my experience with the RDX having the check engine light on.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Pro

I forgot to add that I have the hondata reflash also.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
What would be the point? Why go halfway for less than half results. Cats are there 'cause factory engines run rich (like ours) so they won't die immediately if (when) people abuse them. Of course it will put out unburnt fuel if you remove cats and don't do anything else...Didn't you realize that before you did it to a N/A engine? ...not to mention that comparison is apples to oranges (straight pipes on N/A vs Turbo: PV=nRT)...

Perhaps you didn't buy your RDX to go off road or drag racing, but believe it or not, there's more out there. Why do they sell MB AMG? BMW M? Audi R? Sub STi? ...or even DODGE SRT's? Some of us want more, and not just in a straight line, or just in left hand turns. I actually enjoy utilizing my machines efficiently, or the way they are capable of performing. Un-pinching the straw so to speak. I like to drive my cars, not pilot boats. Really it's simply relieving a restriction, and improving responsiveness...freeing trapped power, not making any new power...and when there's no real option from the factory, well...necessity is the mother of invention.

I can understand wanting it all, but in the real world there are trade offs. You want performance, you got to give something up. You want squeaky clean, you get stock. The good thing is that I do recall Pang a long time ago indicating the DP was not too bad a job going in from the top. That would be the saving grace in CA. Would be simple enough to pull every other year once the car is up for smog.

Ideally, swappable engine mapping would be the best solution and best match...but talk about a holy grail...pioneers don't go camping in the backyard, they go deep into the unknown...we'll never get to the grail if we squabble over production runs and cats at this stage. We need to realize the market we're in.

Too bad the BigHatch doesn't share the same aftermarket enthusiasm of the old little hatches...some day.
BLACURA SUVND9L (10-07-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that this happen to me when the check engine came on -

It will also throw a code for the SH-AWD and VSA which causes it to stop working.
SH-AWD gauge show no movement on the back wheel and you can feel just the front wheel working.

Not sure if it will happen with the downpipe but felt that I need to let other member know with my experience with the RDX having the check engine light on.
sounds like the old VTA setup put you in limp mode
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Thanks for the comments BigHatch, I've stopped answering Joe for it seems he has got a problem with ......well just leave it at that!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 AM
2008 Acura RDX

This has nothing to do with the Check light that is triggered from the o2!

It is a different code!!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Pro

This has nothing to do with the Check light that is triggered from the o2!

It is a different code!!
Just letting everyone know what happen to me when the check engine light came on. Not sure if it is because of the aftermarket bov or the +10 model are extra sensitive to mods.

I did mention I am not sure if this will happen with the downpipe.
Just some food for thoughts.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Just letting everyone know what happen to me when the check engine light came on. Not sure if it is because of the aftermarket bov or the +10 model are extra sensitive to mods.

I did mention I am not sure if this will happen with the downpipe.
Just some food for thoughts.
I understand what you are saying.

Just making it clear that one has nothing to do with the other!

And I do share your thoughts about the newer models being more sensitive to certain changes >> the o2 parameters being one of them
Old 07-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so anyone buy the downpipe yet and install it? very curious
thanks

2007 RDX: Hondata Reflash, K&N Typhoon
Old 07-08-2011, 09:16 PM
2008 Acura RDX

I believe 3 have been sold so far
Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Mine is in the mail.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Instructor

ordering mine this month i was jus wondering when you remove the first cat do you have to take off the transfer case or transmission? or can u jus take it off with out taking anything else off?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM
2008 Acura RDX

The only thing that you have to remove to R/R the down-pipe is the intercooler on top of the engine, and put the car on jack stands to get to the exhaust piping from underneath.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Instructor

ok thanks alot!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDXturbo07
ok thanks alot!
Did you get a chance to install the UNIT yet?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Got my $150 back from heeltoe, involuntarily. Tells ya where this ATLP dp is heading.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 07-20-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Anyone know the gasket part numbers for both ends of the downpipe?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:56 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Originally Posted by Kaze66218
Got my $150 back from heeltoe, involuntarily. Tells ya where this ATLP dp is heading.
I tried to hint to you guys that this was what was gonna happen!

Anyways, these DDPs are/will be avaliable to all
Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Turbo to cat gasket - 18234-RWC-A01 GASKET, EX. MANIFOLD (B) (NIPPON LEAKLESS)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I tried to hint to you guys that this was what was gonna happen!

Anyways, these DDPs are/will be avaliable to all
I knew too, hence shangri la...lol maybe not as fast as you. I was in line for both.

I'm busy with WORK, mountain biking, prelude, and RDX coilovers, that is where most of my money and time is being routed. I just wish there was more money in my pocket and more time in the day.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed dons downpipe and mid pipe last weekend i have hondata reflash kn coolair intake and it works great huge improvment in performance. i suggest you also get the midpipe.i think its a waste of time to leave the 2nd cat in, when you do the install and see who much work it is you will wish you had the midpipe. dons is the best guy in the world he answers his phone anytime and he will tell you just what it takes to install it.he s not making any money off it he just had the jig built for himself and decided to make some because he read all your posts. the o2 fix is easy its just a bung and don now has welded on the pipe so all you have to do is screw in the sensor done fixed

Quick Reply: RDX Down Pipe and CAT delete!!