RDX Down Pipe and CAT delete!!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JCRDX11
Is your car louder now that both cats are off?
What about regular highway cruising?
It would make sense that it would sound louder after removing all the cats. In reality, it doesn't seem or really sound any louder. Maybe I'm too busy hitting the lol pedal, but it is NOT loud at all.

The one thing I have noticed, and it may be due to fab work, but the car spools up and sounds like a dentist drill. I can hear the turbo spool up when my GF leaves, every time! (from outside the car) I can really hear the turbo "spool". I have not heard this from anyone else, so I'm just assuming it is coming from the DP to midpipe gasket. It shouldn't really come from there, but until I can rule it out it is getting the blame.

all in all it is great. All my modding there is never anything like releasing the restriction of exhaust. Great mod.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ronrsx & ohrdx so you guys have had the downpipes/midpipes on for a little bit now. Can you guys report back the same findings in MPG as the others? We currently get around 20-21mpg on average. If we can get 28-32mpg as reported by the others I am definitely going to pick one up.

Ohrdx, Did the steel wool/defouler cure your CEL issue? Also, which 02 sensor was the culprit? I'm assuming it was the primary 02 on the primary cat?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
the whine is the sound of the turbine itself spinning. You've removed the cats. now you can hear it. this is normal.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigHatch
the whine is the sound of the turbine itself spinning. You've removed the cats. now you can hear it. this is normal.
I know that, but I've never had that problem with any other car, three Audi turbo's.

I was wonder does anyone else has this issue?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sleepless247
ronrsx & ohrdx so you guys have had the downpipes/midpipes on for a little bit now. Can you guys report back the same findings in MPG as the others? We currently get around 20-21mpg on average. If we can get 28-32mpg as reported by the others I am definitely going to pick one up.

Ohrdx, Did the steel wool/defouler cure your CEL issue? Also, which 02 sensor was the culprit? I'm assuming it was the primary 02 on the primary cat?
Again, just for clarification, I gutted my midpipe, I didn't replace it.

As for MPG's, I don't daily the car, my GF does. I tell her to pay attention to gas mileage, but she never fills up all the way. She it seems she can drive an extra day now after the change. Problem is, she doesn't drive consistent at all. She may not drive for two days, others she goes 70 miles. I quit trying after this conversation.

As far as the Steel wool trick, last night I got another CEL after roughly two weeks. I took the fouler off and stuffed the next one with steel wool as well. It will take a couple of weeks to see what happens with this.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Anyone know if this is the correct plug-up for the RDX O2 sensor?

http://www.rywire.com/catalog/wire-o...ion-p-107.html
Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OhRDX, how did you hollow out your midpipe, what did you use, was it difficult? and when you removed it did you need to replace any of the gaskets and were your bolts pretty tight? Ever since I heard about you doing this I have been tempted. I would like to do the reflash but I cannot be w/o a car for that period of time.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanRDX
OhRDX, how did you hollow out your midpipe, what did you use, was it difficult? and when you removed it did you need to replace any of the gaskets and were your bolts pretty tight? Ever since I heard about you doing this I have been tempted. I would like to do the reflash but I cannot be w/o a car for that period of time.
Very sophisticated:

then this is what you get:

And rinse:

Once you bust through the cat once its easy. Then just make sure you go around the sides to get everything out. YOu can look in there to make sure its clean and you haven't missed anything.
Takes 15 minutes tops.

Last edited by OhRDX; 08-24-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM
5th Gear

LOL at the GF comment. Let me know how it goes in a couple weeks with the different positioning of the steel wool.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the pics, what is that stuff like, drywall? Also, I wonder if anyone has tried doing the same to the primary cat, your thoughts?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the pics, what is that stuff like, drywall? Also, I wonder if anyone has tried doing the same to the primary cat, your thoughts?
the material is a like a waxy plastic. Kind of hard to explain. Like I said, its tough to get through the first time, but once through it bust up and falls out easy.

I would not do this to the primary cat. 3 reasons:

1. The shape of the stock DP would make it very difficult to clear the cat completely out. Too many tight bends to get anything in there to clear out all the material.

2. Even cleaned out (IF you could possibly do it) the stock cat still has too many restrictions due to diameter, tight bends, and flow velocity, going from tight spaces to open canister back to tight turns, to make the pipe flow better.

3. If you are going to go through the trouble of taking the cat out (which is no easy feat) it's best to put the real deal in...........3 inch DP with good clean bends.

There is no reason to go through all that work to half @ss it in the end.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Advanced

thanks for the response. So I went ahead and followed your instructions, many thanks saved some $$ on a mid-pipe, was trying to save more $$ by hollowing out the primary cat; was about to try today, but other things got in the way. I was thinking that by hollowing out the primary cat would solve the O2 CEL issue sine the sensor is above the cat media. As far as busting it out I was thinking about using a flex head 1/4" drive and my drill on low speed.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Instructor

thanks for the response. So I went ahead and followed your instructions, many thanks saved some $$ on a mid-pipe, was trying to save more $$ by hollowing out the primary cat; was about to try today, but other things got in the way. I was thinking that by hollowing out the primary cat would solve the O2 CEL issue sine the sensor is above the cat media. As far as busting it out I was thinking about using a flex head 1/4" drive and my drill on low speed.
Do us all a favor. Buy one from Don. It will save you plenty of headaches, and more importantly you will be supporting a guy who helped out our community here. without buying the DP, I wouldn't have been able to learn/teach about gutting the midpipe.

I feel bad by kind of cutting into Don's $ for the midpipe by DIYing. Support what he did do by buying his downpipe.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so i jus checked on there website http://alpermotorsports.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=14 and it says there out of stock you guys think hes going to make anymore?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:04 PM
2008 Acura RDX

They will/should make to order! Give em a call
Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXturbo07
so i jus checked on there website http://alpermotorsports.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=14 and it says there out of stock you guys think hes going to make anymore?
Just order the last set!
Will do another full review once I have the unit on-hand! (Hopefully by next week)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Instructor

I have a brand new Turbo-downpipe gasket for sale if someone wants one. Pm me. good to replace while you are in there.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Pro

Finally got my down & mid-pipe in! (USPS took forever - 16 days)

Here are all the parts I have for the install for this Saturday.

This is what Ron and Don was talking about the Foulers / Bung and 3' O2 extension.
Bung - is on the down pipe
Foulers -is on the mid-pipe
O2 extension - you get the idea.

My Dog getting mad at me for not paying any attention to him

Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Excellente....Remember to take pics of the intallation for us
Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced

nice!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by wspy
Excellente....Remember to take pics of the intallation for us
Will try to get some pictures of the unit installed.
They are going to take at least a few hours so I know I won't be standing around waiting.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

This is such an interesting thread...I contacted Alper Motorsports, they said they can make a downpipe for me in a couple of days (they're a bit busy atm).

Hey OhRDX, have you had a chance to make that write-up you've been talking about? I'm about 90% sure what I need to do to make this a clean install...I just have a little confusion on how to prevent a CEL (someone mentioned buying a 3 foot extention of some sort, and a spark plug fouler? I'm not even sure what that is and how I'd use it, heh).

Does anyone else know how to not throw a CEL when installing the downpipe? I'm thinking about just keeping the stock midpipe...90% of the powergains will come from the restricted downpipe anyway.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrederiksen
This is such an interesting thread...I contacted Alper Motorsports, they said they can make a downpipe for me in a couple of days (they're a bit busy ATM).
I contacted Jason from Alper Motorsports 2 weeks ago. He said he only manufacture them for Don. He don't sell it and asked me to contact Don for any purchase...

Don hasn't reply my e mail yet.

BU
Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Pro

This is such an interesting thread...I contacted Alper Motorsports, they said they can make a downpipe for me in a couple of days (they're a bit busy atm).

Hey OhRDX, have you had a chance to make that write-up you've been talking about? I'm about 90% sure what I need to do to make this a clean install...I just have a little confusion on how to prevent a CEL (someone mentioned buying a 3 foot extention of some sort, and a spark plug fouler? I'm not even sure what that is and how I'd use it, heh).

Does anyone else know how to not throw a CEL when installing the downpipe? I'm thinking about just keeping the stock midpipe...90% of the powergains will come from the restricted downpipe anyway.
I had posted the spark plug fouler on my mid-pipe (Pictures above)
It will go on the same way on the downpipe.

The 3 feet o2 extension is only if you get the mid-pipe from don as you are setting the o2 sensor as far as possible from the down pipe so it won't trigger the check engine light.

Read the whole thread again; Ron did the 3ft o2 extension this way and got the mid-pipe from don.

I sat and test drove Ron's RDX and the mod is well worth it.
Only reason why I am doing a review on the product is because a lot of people seem confused or might not understand what is Ron / Don trying to explain/teach them what to do.

Originally Posted by BU
I contacted Jason from Alper Motorsports 2 weeks ago. He said he only manufacture them for Don. He don't sell it and asked me to contact Don for any purchase...

Don hasn't reply my e mail yet.

BU
BU - When I last spoke with Don; I was advised my set might be the last set as he created this unit for himself as a hobby and saw other members that wanted this product.

Also he doesn't make much off of each unit because he is not purchasing the material in a bunk. So it cost a lot per unit to make.

If you guys are really interested; I would suggest to call Don directly and see if he is willing to make more. But I think it would need to be at least a few guys that is ready to purchase/pay all at once before he decides to make another batch.

Once again I could be wrong and he can change his mind; call to double check with him.
Don and Jason is very helpful with the whole process.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

Appreciate the reponse!

I'm debating whether or not to buy the midpipe as well...sorry if I come off as a newb, but can anyone help with the following?
  1. Is there anyway to not trip the Check Engine Light if I were to just buy the downpipe?
  2. What exactly does the spark plug fouler do? I'm not familiar with what it is exactly and how it helps to prevent a CEL.
  3. Has anyone here that has installed a downpipe have any success NOT tripping the CEL? It sounds like PANG_CO could be the only person?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Appreciate the reponse!

I'm debating whether or not to buy the midpipe as well...sorry if I come off as a newb, but can anyone help with the following?
  1. Is there anyway to not trip the Check Engine Light if I were to just buy the downpipe?
  2. What exactly does the spark plug fouler do? I'm not familiar with what it is exactly and how it helps to prevent a CEL.
  3. Has anyone here that has installed a downpipe have any success NOT tripping the CEL? It sounds like PANG_CO could be the only person?

if you just read this thread it explaind what you have to do not to get a cel. the only other way which isnt available atm is to get the cel turned off with a protune. the fouler adds a extention to the orginal spot where the o2 sensor sits as this sensor is only used for cat efficiency. it has nothing to do with how the car runs. so it basicly backs the o2 sensor out of the flow and tricks it to seeing below normal airflow as when the cat is still installed, it triggers the light when it sees too much air flow.

the only thing that it may not do and this is a issue in some emmission tested states, is that it may not trigger the readiness code and unless your state has a amendment in the law that states its ok to pass with 1 sensor not ready, you may have to swap back to the stock for smog testing.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Instructor

I'll chime in here quickly.

With everything I have done to rid my car of the CEL. Including foulers, steel wool tricks, etc. I still get a CEL every month. A 10 minute unplug from the neg battery cable fixes it, but it still can be a pain.

Power gain is great. I'd like for someone to really see what the gain is for both Hondata and a downpipe with midpipe. To me the closest awd dyno is about 2 hours away. Maybe someone will step up to see what real gains are.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 AM
2008 Acura RDX

OhRDX, you probably need to mount the O2 in your gutted mid pipe and then use the 3' extention, to cure the CEL prob
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Pro

OhRDX, you probably need to mount the O2 in your gutted mid pipe and then use the 3' extention, to cure the CEL prob
I was thinking about the same thing for OhRDX.

I installed my down & mid pipe this weekend but was forgot to get a gasket. (Between the down and Mid pipe)

Just put the exhaust repair silicone on it for now.
I haven't really tested out the car because I am still in the breaking the heat-wrap down stage.

The heat-wrap was smoking up like crazy the first thing and the smells is horrible. Hopefully the smells goes away in a few days.

As for no cat - the fumes from the exhaust did stink a lot.
Not sure is it because it was the first day without any cats or from the heatwrap.

The smell from the exhaust is slowly going away but it is still there.
Don't get discouraged as it has only been a two days since I install the unit.

I will provide another update by the end of the weekend. Great product but I would ask Don to at least double coat the hi-temp paint on the pipes if you do decide to order.

Forgot to add - no check engine light so far. (Crossing my fingers)

Last edited by JCRDX11; 10-03-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JCRDX11
I was thinking about the same thing for OhRDX.

As for no cat - the fumes from the exhaust did stink a lot.
Not sure is it because it was the first day without any cats or from the heatwrap.

The smell from the exhaust is slowly going away but it is still there.
Finally, someone saying it stinks, like I've been saying it would all along, what did you guys expect, you remove the cats, it will stink, there's no arguing about it, what gets on my nerves the most is you guys running no cats, I guess none of you give a damn about clean air or the ozone layer, all for what, to shave .2 seconds of your 0-60 times.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Finally, someone saying it stinks, like I've been saying it would all along, what did you guys expect, you remove the cats, it will stink, there's no arguing about it, what gets on my nerves the most is you guys running no cats, I guess none of you give a damn about clean air or the ozone layer, all for what, to shave .2 seconds of your 0-60 times.
Hi Joe,

The only reason I mention about the fumes is for people to know what to except in the beginning.

I am not sure if it is from the Heat-wrap or from actually not having no cats anymore. The heat-wrap already burn and shape up onto my down-pipe.

There is no smoke coming from it anymore and the smell went away a lot just from the first day. Normally the heat-wrap will continue to burn and smell for a few days. (for a week or longer for some people)

When I sat and test drove Ron's RDX; there was no nasty fume or smell.
The car was like normal. (He has both the deleted down/mid pipe)

Since you are in Vegas where Don is located. It is much easier for you to speak to him in person and let him know what you want.

If you want a down and mid pipe with a cat; why not purchase the pipes from Don and get a high flow cat and ask if they can weld it on the mid pipe.

This way you have best of both worlds. I am sure they are willing to do this and work something out with you.

Normally things start to get lost in translation in writing on the forum.
A simple phone call can solve and answer a lot of confusion and questions.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you guys think you can break in the 5s to 60mph with the downpipe?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the heat wrap is going to stink for a few days, you should be able to romp on it tho even if its new. the smell from the exhaust tho will remain. as you will be smelling exhaust and some oil vapor. it will be more noticable tho on hotter days. colder days not so much.

and as for the ozone layer, im sure all the bikes and semi trucks that plume tons of smoke in the world are doing most of the work already. i mean really.
The following users liked this post:
prongATO (02-01-2013)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDXturbo07
you guys think you can break in the 5s to 60mph with the downpipe?
Not sure - I will try to make a video when I get a chance.
But I do have my front bull, nerf side bar and a towing hitch.

Might slow me down by 1 second - lol.

Originally Posted by windowlickingood
the heat wrap is going to stink for a few days, you should be able to romp on it tho even if its new. the smell from the exhaust tho will remain. as you will be smelling exhaust and some oil vapor. it will be more noticable tho on hotter days. colder days not so much.

and as for the ozone layer, im sure all the bikes and semi trucks that plume tons of smoke in the world are doing most of the work already. i mean really.
I am hoping the smell from the exhaust goes away soon.
It is slowly going away but still there.

Worse comes to worse - I will invest in a hi-flow cat and have a local shop weld it on for me.

The thing is that Ron didn't have any nasty fume smell from his exhaust.
I check the hood and no more smell coming from the engine. (Heat-wrap)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Pro

Who else pick up Don's down and mid pipe besides OHRDX, RONRSX and myself?

I wanted to ask how is everything holding up on your end.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Mine is holding up fine.

Anyone get a chance to see what kind of power we have with DP and tune?

Closest awd dyno is 100 miles away.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:08 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Originally Posted by OhRDX
Mine is holding up fine.

Anyone get a chance to see what kind of power we have with DP and tune?

Closest awd dyno is 100 miles away.
So what exactly is your O2 set-up now?
Where is your second O2 mounted and what method are you using to prevent the CheckLight?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Instructor

So what exactly is your O2 set-up now?
Where is your second O2 mounted and what method are you using to prevent the CheckLight?
Same as before. have O2 mounted in DP, Steel wool (sp) and spark plug foulers.

no CEL for weeks. temps have dropped which plays a part.

too much wine a the Gf wants to play. car talk wait.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Pro

Update regarding the down / mid pipe - Car runs good with a intake and reflash.
No o2 sensor check with the o2 wire extension method.

The smell from the exhaust is still there when on idle.
I don't really smell it once I am driving but it is still there.

I was hoping it was the oil / welding from the down pipe that Don had mention to me.
He advise it might take up to two weeks to go away but it has been a month since I install the unit.

I also confirm with another member that purchase this unit and he advise he has the fumes from his exhaust when the car is in idle also.

Ron advise his car doesn't.

Other than that; the unit itself is a solid mod.
Might look into a high flow cat if I can't take the smell anyone.

Any other member that purchase the unit; please let me know if you have the fumes from the exhaust.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
^ you will have fumes.. and possibly worse in the summer when i ran straight pipe on my tsx for a year the fumes were worse as it got warmer.. i can remember getting tested for my tags and smelling it in park and hoping the tester didnt flunk me cause of it but i didnt get any strange looks and i passed so i booked out of there before they changed there mind.. but yes.. smell will always be there once you remove a cat.. only way to fix it is to add another.. (possibly high flow) should ask marcus at Heel toe if they have universal FLP cats.. they are better then R/T ones and tons better then magniflow cats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDX Down Pipe and CAT delete!!