Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
Enlighten Evan07 Viet, I see you lurking lol
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey guys,
transmission gave out and I need it up and running for a good price.
Stealership quoted me at roughly 5,500 which is half the cars value...

Does anyone know any well accredited rebuilders they recommend in the area? I live in Rockwall but am willing to have it towed if its worth the recommendation.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the RDX is a turbo, it actually will be a pretty good gain for HP & TQ from what I've researched. The RDX seems to fall off in the upper RPMs, but it appears that's by design, but the FlashPro resolves this.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Coins
Hey guys,
transmission gave out and I need it up and running for a good price.
Stealership quoted me at roughly 5,500 which is half the cars value...

Does anyone know any well accredited rebuilders they recommend in the area? I live in Rockwall but am willing to have it towed if its worth the recommendation.
Im a mechanic, but honestly I do NOT trust anyone, especially the specialty trans shops around town. what year/make/model?

Originally Posted by Evan70
Since the RDX is a turbo, it actually will be a pretty good gain for HP & TQ from what I've researched. The RDX seems to fall off in the upper RPMs, but it appears that's by design, but the FlashPro resolves this.
Gotcha, I dont know what motor they have, but if thats true then you should gain a fair amount. The j-series motors are tuned beast from the factory with no more to gain off just a tune
Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

2006 Acura TL - 96k miles
Threw a code - p0746 for the stuck a/t clutch pressure solenoid

Replaced the linear solenoid, all fluid and 3rd and 4th gear switches - no luck
Torque converter is making noise on start up but goes away on idle after its warm but when i press the gas I can still hear it

Found this on craigslist: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/4295822212.html
But then again, it's craigslist..
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 AM

2006 Acura TL - 96k miles
Threw a code - p0746 for the stuck a/t clutch pressure solenoid

Replaced the linear solenoid, all fluid and 3rd and 4th gear switches - no luck
Torque converter is making noise on start up but goes away on idle after its warm but when i press the gas I can still hear it

Found this on craigslist: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/4295822212.html
But then again, it's craigslist..
I'd almost try and buy a remanufactured one myself, because i get lots of people who use aamco and places like that, even sewell cadillac rebuilt my boys transmission in grapevine. 100 miles later, BOOM! Send a PM to yungone501, his name is Robert. He's in plano and has his own shop there. He might even have a spare transmission lying around or know a good builder local. He has like 5 j-series engines around and has built alot of j-series motors. Or call him up would be the quickest. Called auto electric services, dont let the name fool you, he does more than electrical, a lot more. 2708 K Ave, Plano, TX 75074
(972) 424-1777
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NBP_BALLER
I'd almost try and buy a remanufactured one myself, because i get lots of people who use aamco and places like that, even sewell cadillac rebuilt my boys transmission in grapevine. 100 miles later, BOOM! Send a PM to yungone501, his name is Robert. He's in plano and has his own shop there. He might even have a spare transmission lying around or know a good builder local. He has like 5 j-series engines around and has built alot of j-series motors. Or call him up would be the quickest. Called auto electric services, dont let the name fool you, he does more than electrical, a lot more. 2708 K Ave, Plano, TX 75074
(972) 424-1777
Thanks a lot man! I'll drop him a call tomorrow since its Sunday i'm sure he's busy and I've got a lot of stuff to finish up myself.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Yes, wondering if there is a local shop that can tune the RDX, otherwise I'll just buy a FlashPro for it.
FlashPro is locked to your vehicles ECU once you lock it to your car. While the unit is locked to your car, it can not be used with any other car to upload new calibrations until you revert your car back to stock calibrations and unlock the unit.

You'll have to buy the FlashPro. I'd like to see the results from a tune on the 2.3 turbo motor. Do you know what they dyno stock? Is it SH-AWD model? Are there aftermarket bolt ons available for the RDX or is there only a tune?

My car was being tuned by Vit at www.VitTuned.com He sells the FlashPro + E-Tunes (Unlimited tuning revisions as long as no new mods are added. If you add a mod you'll have to pay a re-tune fee) for $765. $795 for Forced induction vehicles (RDX)

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 02-09-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did all of that stop working at once? I though it was just the a/c. Does your screen light up for the a/c and radio? Post a pic of the dash so I can see what your talking about. The more descriptive and specific the better I can help you. It would be diff if I was in person so I could understand what's going on
Yeah, all of those stopped working at once. The radio screen does light up. I mean I work right there next to your work lol. Maybe I can swing by I'm off tomorrow.

Originally Posted by NAiL05
Sounds like you popped a fuse somewhere Danny. I would start with that. Fuse should be inside the kickpanel on the vehicle.
Possibility. But I pulled out all the fuse and relays.. They are fine. I'm cold!!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
9th Gear

What up dfdub!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HockeyMan0920
Remember passing by a black Cobalt on the shoulder this morning as you entered 635 from Skillman? My throttle body took a crap on me and I was stuck in limp mode for a bit. Your car looks sick btw, don't know how you manage driving that thing so slammed. You live in that area? We may be neighbors.
I remember! Holy shit that's awesome! I took a good look at your car also haha
Thanks bro. I don't know how either.. I just drive it. Yeah I live in garland, walnut and shiloh
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Niceguy89
What up dfdub!!!!
Welcome! Arlington, eh? I wonder if I've seen you around... Is your TSX white with painted stockies and a drop?
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Niceguy89 (02-16-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Banned

Need some advice people

I have yet to get in contact with NBP_Baller's friend regarding the transmission but i've talked to Rusty Wallis Honda about a quote for the tranny.
Remanufactured 36k/3k year warranty - about 2.3k for the tranny and ($100/hr x 10hours) for labor so the total will be around 3.5k

David McDavid's 5.5k quote is just absurd... I contacted Acura Client relations hoping they can help me out because my car is still under 100k miles.. I didn't have it maintained at a Acura dealership so I think my chances are slims on a goodwill quote.

What would you guys do? Does anyone have any friends who work at the dealerships? Just trying to view my options before sticking it in the shop.

What makes me mad is I had a 2000 TL that was had the tranny replaced under warranty, and then it gave out after sticking a new one in. I had to pay out of pocket for another one... having to deal with it again is a pain..
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
5,500.. wow.. They really wanted you to reach around and stretch your bingus open.

Other than the code, what are the symptoms? Does it flare between 1st and 2nd?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Majofo
5,500.. wow.. They really wanted you to reach around and stretch your bingus open.

Other than the code, what are the symptoms? Does it flare between 1st and 2nd?
After the linear solenoid, new fluid(3x3), and the pressure switches it drove beautifully the first time..
Then after warming it up the next day, the symptoms started to slowly show again, I could feel the hard shift into 2nd and the stutter into 3rd.
When I go from P -> R I hear a loud clunk, same from D -> R.
I can hear a whine coming from what I believe is the torque converter. It's very distinct when the cars cold, but can't hear it on idle after the car warms up for a few minutes. When pressing on the gas I can hear it with the windows down.
It delayed shifting into reverse and drive when I was parking it at home, haven't touched the car since Saturday.

Last edited by Coins; 02-11-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM

Is there a noticeable lag when engaging reverse either from park or drive?

clunk from neutral to reverse? lag as well?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by chinwookid
Yeah, all of those stopped working at once. The radio screen does light up. I mean I work right there next to your work lol. Maybe I can swing by I'm off tomorrow.
Well, I dont work at the stealership anymore man! lol Tired of all the BS!!! Trying to get my own shop/gig right now, hit me up 972-571-1547

Originally Posted by Mr. Niceguy89
What up dfdub!!!!
Whats up man! Good to see new faces on Azine!

Need some advice people

I have yet to get in contact with NBP_Baller's friend regarding the transmission but i've talked to Rusty Wallis Honda about a quote for the tranny.
Remanufactured 36k/3k year warranty - about 2.3k for the tranny and ($100/hr x 10hours) for labor so the total will be around 3.5k

David McDavid's 5.5k quote is just absurd... I contacted Acura Client relations hoping they can help me out because my car is still under 100k miles.. I didn't have it maintained at a Acura dealership so I think my chances are slims on a goodwill quote.

What would you guys do? Does anyone have any friends who work at the dealerships? Just trying to view my options before sticking it in the shop.

What makes me mad is I had a 2000 TL that was had the tranny replaced under warranty, and then it gave out after sticking a new one in. I had to pay out of pocket for another one... having to deal with it again is a pain..
1. Good that you called ACURA, first see if you can get them to warranty your tranny! Best idea, cheapest one. Worst thing they can say is no, I've seen a few guys get it done for free out of warranty. Also, I used to work at a dealer, they have a "goodwill" policy to cover stuff like that. They pay 80&, you pay 20%(along those lines)
2. Hit up Robert in plano if that falls trough
3. Have a QUALIFIED builder do it, not just any guy if you get it rebuilt. These transmissions are known to be touchy.

Just keep me/us posted, you can also text me(my number is above) for further ?'s.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Is there a noticeable lag when engaging reverse either from park or drive?

clunk from neutral to reverse? lag as well?
The clunk occurs no matter how you engage reverse.
But then again when I think about it, it occurs when the car is cold..
When I ran it Saturday for the second time I turned back into my neighborhood, argggg gear slip, so at that point I decided to just give up..
Put the car in reverse, took about 3-4 seconds, put it in drive which took another 3-4 seconds to engage.

When the car ran perfectly, there would be a 1-2 second lag but people noted that's common for the TL.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
slobalt defender

Received 349 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by chinwookid
I remember! Holy shit that's awesome! I took a good look at your car also haha
Thanks bro. I don't know how either.. I just drive it. Yeah I live in garland, walnut and shiloh
You're about 5 min from me, howdy neighbor! We need to cruise together sometime.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

1. Good that you called ACURA, first see if you can get them to warranty your tranny! Best idea, cheapest one. Worst thing they can say is no, I've seen a few guys get it done for free out of warranty. Also, I used to work at a dealer, they have a "goodwill" policy to cover stuff like that. They pay 80&, you pay 20%(along those lines)
2. Hit up Robert in plano if that falls trough
3. Have a QUALIFIED builder do it, not just any guy if you get it rebuilt. These transmissions are known to be touchy.

Just keep me/us posted, you can also text me(my number is above) for further ?'s.
Yea right now i'm really hoping Acura can help me out. If Acura does help out with the cost, do you think they'd let the Honda dealership do the repair since its a lot closer for me?
I'll be giving Rob a call little later today.

I'd have a peace of mind knowing Honda did the swap with a re-manufactured one, but I'll stay open to any options at this point.
I'm hoping to have it in the shop by this weekend, need to get the car back on the road, it's already been 3 weeks. Mail man lost one of my parts for a good week until it finally showed up at my doorstep lol.. have had horrible luck

You're about 5 min from me, howdy neighbor! We need to cruise together sometime.
Pass by you guys everyday on the way to class lol

Last edited by Coins; 02-11-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yea right now i'm really hoping Acura can help me out. If Acura does help out with the cost, do you think they'd let the Honda dealership do the repair since its a lot closer for me?
I'll be giving Rob a call little later today.
Good luck. Too bad it isn't as sensible to swap it out as it is for my 2G fossil.

Last edited by ASpirational; 02-11-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Needing some advice, i just picked up a 2005 WDP TL, w/ 120k mi. Called acura of plano for the tune up history, turns out i need the steering rack to be replace due to a was already suggested by previous owner to get fixed (est 1200-1400 job). What would be considered reasonable? Any mom and pop shops y'all recommend?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:34 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Leak**
Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
So much action in the DFW sub section lately! Just stopping by to say hi.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not even pretending to be a mechanic but I am seeing a new transmission online for the $2000-$3000 ballpark. When I was younger we took a full transmission from like cars and moved it over. It was messy but worked fine. I realize the TL is likely to have more safictication but isnt it bacisally the same? Couldnt he just install a complete transmission pushchased? Like I said not a machanic, just having trouble understanding why installing a complete assembled transmission would take 100 hours.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
FlashPro is locked to your vehicles ECU once you lock it to your car. While the unit is locked to your car, it can not be used with any other car to upload new calibrations until you revert your car back to stock calibrations and unlock the unit.

You'll have to buy the FlashPro. I'd like to see the results from a tune on the 2.3 turbo motor. Do you know what they dyno stock? Is it SH-AWD model? Are there aftermarket bolt ons available for the RDX or is there only a tune?

My car was being tuned by Vit at www.VitTuned.com He sells the FlashPro + E-Tunes (Unlimited tuning revisions as long as no new mods are added. If you add a mod you'll have to pay a re-tune fee) for $765. $795 for Forced induction vehicles (RDX)
Yes, it's the SH-AWD model. Hondata shows a 26HP/32lb-ft gain with their standard tune, which I would believe is very achievable with a turbo. The even better part is the area under the curve, which increases significantly versus the stock tune.

There are some decent bolt-ons for the RDX. Cold Air Intakes, upgraded intercooler, down-pipe and exhaust are all available. I'm thinking I'll start with the FlashPro for now, but thanks for the link. If I ever do any other upgrades, I'll get Vit to do a tune for it.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chriscraig2010
I am not even pretending to be a mechanic but I am seeing a new transmission online for the $2000-$3000 ballpark. When I was younger we took a full transmission from like cars and moved it over. It was messy but worked fine. I realize the TL is likely to have more safictication but isnt it bacisally the same? Couldnt he just install a complete transmission pushchased? Like I said not a machanic, just having trouble understanding why installing a complete assembled transmission would take 100 hours.
Think you might have read it wrong :P
$100 an hr, 10 hours total. $1000 in labor

With the TL you have to drop the whole subframe to get to the transmission which is a bit of work.

Acura emailed me back saying they'll contact me back tomorrow afternoon regarding the details.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well at least that makes more sence. I was like man that is a lot of time. So you could do it yourself but would need the proper equipment to do so. Hince the big bucks because they have the cool toys.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Yes, it's the SH-AWD model. Hondata shows a 26HP/32lb-ft gain with their standard tune, which I would believe is very achievable with a turbo. The even better part is the area under the curve, which increases significantly versus the stock tune.

There are some decent bolt-ons for the RDX. Cold Air Intakes, upgraded intercooler, down-pipe and exhaust are all available. I'm thinking I'll start with the FlashPro for now, but thanks for the link. If I ever do any other upgrades, I'll get Vit to do a tune for it.
That's some good gains from just a tune. Wish the TL was like that. I think I probably gained just as much as that but I have PCDs, J-Pipe, ATLP Quads & CAI + Hondata FlashPro.

I would sell my PCDs, J-Pipe & FlashPro unit but don't want to go through the hassle of re installing the factory precats. The rear was a bitch
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM

The clunk occurs no matter how you engage reverse.
But then again when I think about it, it occurs when the car is cold..
When I ran it Saturday for the second time I turned back into my neighborhood, argggg gear slip, so at that point I decided to just give up..
Put the car in reverse, took about 3-4 seconds, put it in drive which took another 3-4 seconds to engage.

When the car ran perfectly, there would be a 1-2 second lag but people noted that's common for the TL.
Even a 1-2 second lag is bad. Not common in my book. Which solenoid did you replace?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Think you might have read it wrong :P
$100 an hr, 10 hours total. $1000 in labor

With the TL you have to drop the whole subframe to get to the transmission which is a bit of work.
True. But I'd wager the basis for that estimate is more book rate than average or actual time taken if I were a betting man. My CL is older, but there's enough architecturual similiarity that I'm running more or less the same transmission as you, and I recall being billed for roughly seven hours of labor.

Can't complain if they handsomely discount the repair, though. And while I usually dodge dealerships out of warranty, I have to admit that as far as major repairs go, their intra and post-repair support often beats independents.

Last edited by ASpirational; 02-11-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Banned

Even a 1-2 second lag is bad. Not common in my book. Which solenoid did you replace?
Linear solenoid at the top of the tranny next to the transmission filter.
Forgot to mention I also replaced the filter..

The code was for the stuck A/T clutch pressure A solenoid. The linear solenoid holds both A & B.
C is somewhere on the side of the transmission if I remember correctly.

I made a post regarding the delay when I first got the car, was told that a slight delay is normal so never thought anything more of it :/

Originally Posted by ASpirational
True. But I'd wager the basis for that estimate is more book rate than average or actual time taken if I were a betting man. My CL is older, but there's enough architecturual similiarity that I'm running more or less the same transmission as you, and I recall being billed for roughly seven hours of labor.

Can't complain if they handsomely discount the repair, though. And while I usually dodge dealerships out of warranty, I have to admit that as far as major repairs go, their intra and post-repair support often beats independents.
Yea i'm sure it's not a complete 10 hour job but that's what the quoted me for. I'll be calling other Honda dealerships to get a quote.

Last edited by Coins; 02-11-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Hell yeah! Pick a time and place. but be aware where you pick because my car can't handle some places xD
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

Acura Client Relations called and said they can't cover any of the cost because I didn't maintain it at the dealership.. I'm not one to get mad but I think its rediculous that Acura knows they have a faulty 3G tranny just like the 2G TL.

I'm going to contact Goodson Acura, where the car was purchased from by the 1st owner, and see if they can help.

If not i'll be putting in the garage at Rusty Wallis tomorrow, they said it should be done by Friday night.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Acura Client Relations called and said they can't cover any of the cost because I didn't maintain it at the dealership.. I'm not one to get mad but I think its rediculous that Acura knows they have a faulty 3G tranny just like the 2G TL.

I'm going to contact Goodson Acura, where the car was purchased from by the 1st owner, and see if they can help.

If not i'll be putting in the garage at Rusty Wallis tomorrow, they said it should be done by Friday night.
They are going to put a refirbished one in right? What is the cost? Parts and Labor seperate?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned

They are going to put a refirbished one in right? What is the cost? Parts and Labor seperate?
Travis gave me two options
Refurbished by Honda I believe for at least 1k more.
Refurbished by Transtar(http://www.transtar1.com/units.asp) for 2.3k alone for the trans and 1000 for the labor and an alignment because they have to drop the subframe.

Last edited by Coins; 02-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:21 PM
5th Gear

Wassup DFW!. New member from Irving. Been following/reading AcuraZine for abt 10yrs. Have owned 4 Acuras,got a lot info from here. Finally decided to join!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Following for 10 years and just now joined?!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 PM
5th Gear

Smile YesSir.

Originally Posted by imj0257
Following for 10 years and just now joined?!
Yes sir. Started reading/ following after i bought my 2nd Ac in 2001. I have learned alot on here.

Did a lot mods/ DIY to my 97 GSR with tips I read on here.

Learned alot about tranny problems for my 03 TL-S on here back in 2006.

And now trying to learn more abt my 2010 TL AWD.
AcuraZine has been good to me.

Go BLUES... btw
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcuraGene
Yes sir. Started reading/ following after i bought my 2nd Ac in 2001. I have learned alot on here.

Did a lot mods/ DIY to my 97 GSR with tips I read on here.

Learned alot about tranny problems for my 03 TL-S on here back in 2006.

And now trying to learn more abt my 2010 TL AWD.
AcuraZine has been good to me.

Go BLUES... btw
I thought I was lurking for awhile... damn lol
where in Dallas are you bud?

Quick Reply: AcuraZine Dallas/Ft.Worth Crew