Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft: Windows 7 and Office 2010 Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Not sure why you're so surprised???
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Not bad, actually. The UI will take some getting used to, but I can already tell I'll like it better than Vista.

I just tried to play solitaire (love that game) and it locked up on me... I'll blame it on Parallels and not Windows 7.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrib
Not bad, actually. The UI will take some getting used to, but I can already tell I'll like it better than Vista.

I just tried to play solitaire (love that game) and it locked up on me... I'll blame it on Parallels and not Windows 7.
That seems to be a problem with VMWare Fusion too. Must be a VM issue.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
It runs pretty good in Vmware.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Aero doesn't work in Parallels, either. Going to try fusion.

Oh and I still hate the taskbar.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Aero doesn't work for me in Fusion either, though neither does Vista. I don't think it's supported yet, even with 3D acceleration enabled.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Just get rid of the new crap for the taskbar and stick to the traditional 2000/xp functionality
Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator Alumnus

^^^

Couldn't agree more...
Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Not sure if this is new..

But in the task manager, you can look up the exact file location of the process running. Useful.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Ok, first problem. Can't get it to play MKV files! The K-lite codec pack doesn't seem to work.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Race Director

Received 838 Likes on 519 Posts
I like this article for people complaining that they want some feature back

anuary 1st, 2009 <!-- by Ed Bott -->

If you love Windows XP, you’ll hate Windows 7

Posted by Ed Bott @ 12:21 pm
Categories: Windows 7
Tags: Desktop, Box, Desktop Icon, Microsoft Windows 7, Control Panel, Jason, Run, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows XP, Operating Systems
<SCRIPT> var tb1 = new CNET.Blog.Toolbar.Interact(); CNET.Blog.Toolbar.Interact.allToolbars.push(tb1); tb1.id = 'bott_630'; CNET.Blog.Toolbar.Interact.service.contentId.push( tb1.id); tb1.idContainer = 'interact_'+tb1.id; tb1.title = 'If you love Windows XP, you\'ll hate Windows 7'; tb1.emailTitle = 'If you love Windows XP, you\'ll hate Windows 7 | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com'; tb1.diggTopic = 'tech_news'; tb1.diggBodyText = 'A ZDNET Blog'; tb1.absoluteUrl = 'http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=630'; tb1.relativeUrl = '?p=630'; tb1.commentUrl = '?p=630#comments'; tb1.blogThisUrl = 'index.php?blogthis=1&p=630'; tb1.noTalkback = ''; tb1.numTalkbacks = ''; tb1.votingId = tb1.id; tb1.voteCount = 90; tb1.voteTotal = 180; tb1.recommend.hasVoted = false; tb1.recommend.contentId = 'bott_630'; tb1.recommend.userId = ''; tb1.recommend.encodedTitle = 'SWYgeW91IGxvdmUgV2luZG93cyBYUCwgeW91J2xsIGhhdGUgV 2luZG93cyA3'; tb1.recommend.encodedUrl = 'aHR0cDovL2Jsb2dzLnpkbmV0LmNvbS9Cb3R0Lz9wPTYzMA..' ; tb1.recommend.rpcHost = 'blogs.zdnet.com'; tb1.recommend.loginUrl = 'http://www.zdnet.com/1320-4_24-44.html?path='; tb1.recommend.returnUrl = 'http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=630'; tb1.recommend.cookieResults = ''; tb1.init();</SCRIPT>
My colleague Jason Perlow has been playing with Windows 7, and he hates it. The sad thing is, all the things he hates are improvements, in my opinion, which just goes to show that you really can’t please everyone. But what’s sad to see is that every setting Jason describes as broken is in fact easily customizable so it works the way he wants it.
The crux of Jason’s complaint is simple: “I learned how to use Windows in 1998. Don’t change a thing.” Here’s his main argument in a nutshell:
I find it difficult to believe that Windows 7 was created to be easier to use than Vista — if anything, they’ve introduced a number of UI changes that make the system much harder to navigate, particularly if you’ve never used Vista and are going direct to Windows 7 from Windows XP, which is the path that many users will experience.
Yes, there’s a learning curve. And if you insist on using those techniques you learned back in the last millennium with software that was designed differently, you will be frustrated. But I believe that an open-minded XP user who actually takes a few minutes to learn how the new UI works will be more productive very quickly. The secret is breaking old habits and developing new ones. Let’s take all three of Jason’s examples and work through them.
Jason: “The ‘Run’ option is no longer directly accessible from the Start Menu, you have to get to it via a Search.”
Where do I begin? First of all, the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu does nearly everything the Run box did, and much more. If you begin typing a command, it appears in the Start menu, where you can click or press Enter to run it. With the Run box, I have to type a command in full and possibly even include its path. If I mistype the name, I get an error message. Want to play Solitaire? With the Search box, you can begin typing sol and the first choice on the list will be Solitaire, ready to run when you press Enter:

But the worst part of the Run box is that it requires you to learn the names of executable files. In XP, if you open the Run box, type solitaire, and press Enter you’ll get a cryptic error message. You need to know that the name of the executable is sol.exe. Want to play Minesweeper? You’re SOL with the Run box until you learn that the executable is named Winmine.exe. The Vista/Win7 Search box, by contrast, works with program names and executable files.
Still not convinced? You want the old- school Run box? So just press Windows key+R. That shortcut has been around since the mid-1990s and still works in Windows Vista and Win7.
Not good enough? Fine. Customize the Vista/Win7 Start menu to add the Run command and you can party like it’s 1998. Right-click Start, choose Properties, click Customize, and select this check box.

Jason: “Another thing that greatly frustrated me was the fact that a fresh install of Windows 7 gives the end-user a blank slate on the Desktop, removing the familiar ‘Computer’, ‘Network’, ‘Control Panel’ and ‘My Documents’ icons, requiring users to get to those functions and folders via the Start Menu.”
Jason thinks this is “change for the sake of change.” I disagree. I’ve been talking to Windows UI designers and usability testers for years, and I can tell you that moving this stuff off the desktop is a huge usability win for novices and experts alike. If you rely on desktop icons, you have to minimize all open windows first before you can even see the icons on the desktop, then you have to click them. That adds unnecessary steps to every navigation option, and adds still more steps to get back to the windows you were working with previously. Once you wean yourself from desktop icons, all you have to do is tap the Windows key or click the Start button and you are one click away from any common file storage location. You can also press Windows key+E to open Explorer, where common locations are neatly arranged in the navigation pane.
Jason thinks the option to restore those desktop icons is “not intuitive.” Well, if you open the Start menu and type “desktop icons” in the Search box, the very first result is “Show or hide common icons on the desktop.” There’s another shortcut that’s even easier to discover. Every Windows user quickly learns how to right-click the desktop and choose Personalize, so they can adjust the desktop background (you old-timers remember it as wallpaper). When you do, you’ll see a very prominent “Change desktop icons” option at the top left. It leads here:

Jason: “I also find the Windows 7 Control Panel to be less intuitive than XP’s […] you now need one additional mouse click to see all the Control Panel options — of which there are now approximately double than which existed in XP. Clearly, they could have done a better job at consolidating functions, or at the very least, provided a better UI for navigating such a long list of stuff.”
The Windows XP Control Panel intuitive? A folder filled with icons, many with cryptic/technical names, doesn’t seem intuitive to me. I think familiar might be a more accurate word to describe the reaction of someone who learned where everything is the hard way. Meanwhile, if you want “a better UI for navigating such a long list of stuff” it’s right there already. See that search box in the upper right corner? It’s a huge improvement on the old folder full of Control Panel icons. If you don’t believe me, try changing your screen saver from the Windows XP Control Panel. Does it make sense that you have to click the Display icon and then choose the Screen Saver tab to get there? You know those steps because you’ve been doing it that way for 14 years, but it’s hardly intuitive.
By contrast, in Windows Vista and Windows 7, you type the word screen into the search box, and the list automatically filters as you type. I think this result list is pretty helpful:
For an even better example, try finding the option to show hidden files in Windows Explorer. With XP, you have to open Control Panel, double-click Folder Options, and then click the View tab. Now, would the average person know that file settings are under Folder Options? That hardly seems intuitive.
By contrast, type hidden in the Control Panel search box and here’s what you see:

The very first option on the list takes you to the correct tab on the correct dialog box, with exactly one click. That’s a huge improvement over the XP solution; in fact, when I open Control Panel in Windows XP I am enormously frustrated over the inability to do anything except drill down into icons to find the right one.
The real problem most XP users will have when migrating to the Windows 7 interface is that they need to unlearn those old navigation models. The longer you’ve been using PCs, the more likely you are to reflexively assume that the solution is to pull down a menu or double-click an icon. Those techniques worked fine back in the 1990s, but today, with instant search available just about everywhere in the Windows UI, those old techniques are as dated as a pair of Dockers.
If you’re an XP veteran, take some time to learn why the new interface was designed the way it was. Believe me, those designers and usability professionals didn’t just make this stuff up. If you’re willing to learn a few new techniques, I guarantee your productivity will increase over time.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Ok, first problem. Can't get it to play MKV files! The K-lite codec pack doesn't seem to work.
I dont have any issues..

I just use VLC player
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Well I now have the download waiting to be burned on my work machine. Now to just find the time. BTW, I didn't have any problems at all using the MS download manager. Took about 3.5 hours to complete.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Will tinker more tomorrow...
Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Belzebub, while I agree that using Search may be faster for those looking to accomplish a specific task, I never feel like I am afforded the option of seeing all the possible options. If I am allowed to browse, I may find a different option that fits the bill much better, or learn of an option that I didn't even know about, but that may be very useful.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Scrib, let me know if you figure out how to get Aero working.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,119 Likes on 6,108 Posts
Anyone try to boot camp win 7? You might be able to use the Vista drivers that come on the leopard disc to get it working right.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by #1 DOUCHER
Anyone try to boot camp win 7? You might be able to use the Vista drivers that come on the leopard disc to get it working right.
Nevermind someone already did it with the beta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azQ6JmYNi3M
Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Sanest Florida Man

^I couldn't stand the glare of that screen!! I hope they make the anti glare screen on the new 17 MBP avail for the other models.

also if you click the youtube link above it's available in HD.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 01-11-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Received 248 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I dont have any issues..

I just use VLC player
There is a combined community codec pack that registers the proper codecs in wmp
Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I got solitaire to work for me!! I think this is the first time I've beaten solitaire with the three card draw.

If aero doesn't work than you shouldn't get the new aero peek and aero snaps feature which basically makes Win 7 seem like not much of an upgrade. Try it in boot camp.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Administrator Alumnus

^^^^^

Functionality over eye candy.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Not sure if this is new..

But in the task manager, you can look up the exact file location of the process running. Useful.

this is available in vista also.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Sanest Florida Man

^^^^^

Functionality over eye candy.
I know that's my motto...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Sanest Florida Man

but the aero snaps and the aero peek aren't for looks they're actually quite functional kinda like how expose doesn't just look cool it serves a purpose as well.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Anyone figure out how to pin My Computer or My Documents into the taskbar? Whenever I try this, it all gets tacked under the Windows Explorer icon. I want to be able to open My Computer with one click from the task bar.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Installed.

The Good
About the most seamless OS install I’ve ever experienced.

Drivers for almost everything on my HP dc7700 desktop out of the box. Only exception being the “PCI Simple Communications Controller” that’s already been mentioned.

Disk space for OS, Offfice 2007 Ent. (and Firefox) about 10 GB. Not exactly svelte, but pretty reasonable.

Aero performance is fine even with the lowly x1300 card I have. Actually seems a bit peppier than Vista on the same machine which I guess it should.

Joined the domain at work without any issues.

No problems at all isntalling/using Office 2007 including Outlook against Exchange.

The Not-Good-or-Bad
Bootup time (OS selcetion in menu to login prompt) essentially identical to Vista.

The Bad
Received a barrage of messages from the action center (guessing like 60+) requiring me to keep turining on AVG after I finished the installation. Seems to have stopped now though. Probably just beta bugaboos or something I’m not aware of with setting elevated permissions for an application.

No updates for Office 2007 appearing under Windows Update. Office Update service at office.microsoft.com won’t work.

Password is optional for the user created during install and it’s a local administrator? C’mon! This better go away with the RTM.

Creation of new profiles takes F---O---R---E---V---E---R! Timed two new local profiles and one new domain profile. All three were within a couple of seconds of each other at 1:54. Unacceptable in a lab or common-use environment. There had better be ways to speed this up. BTW, new profile creation under Vista on the same machine was < 30 seconds.

The Inexcusable
The same abominable, spawn of Satan, Vista-style interface for changing between a domain profile login and local profile login is still there (switch user -> other user -> type computerName\userName). WTF is so wrong about presenting something to click when choosing the domain or the local computer!?!
:thumbsdow x 100
Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Anyone figure out how to pin My Computer or My Documents into the taskbar? Whenever I try this, it all gets tacked under the Windows Explorer icon. I want to be able to open My Computer with one click from the task bar.
not from taskbar, just add the icons to the desktop
Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Billiam
Installed.

The Good
About the most seamless OS install I’ve ever experienced.

Drivers for almost everything on my HP dc7700 desktop out of the box. Only exception being the “PCI Simple Communications Controller” that’s already been mentioned.

Disk space for OS, Offfice 2007 Ent. (and Firefox) about 10 GB. Not exactly svelte, but pretty reasonable.

Aero performance is fine even with the lowly x1300 card I have. Actually seems a bit peppier than Vista on the same machine which I guess it should.

Joined the domain at work without any issues.

No problems at all isntalling/using Office 2007 including Outlook against Exchange.

The Not-Good-or-Bad
Bootup time (OS selcetion in menu to login prompt) essentially identical to Vista.

The Bad
Received a barrage of messages from the action center (guessing like 60+) requiring me to keep turining on AVG after I finished the installation. Seems to have stopped now though. Probably just beta bugaboos or something I’m not aware of with setting elevated permissions for an application.

No updates for Office 2007 appearing under Windows Update. Office Update service at office.microsoft.com won’t work.

Password is optional for the user created during install and it’s a local administrator? C’mon! This better go away with the RTM.

Creation of new profiles takes F---O---R---E---V---E---R! Timed two new local profiles and one new domain profile. All three were within a couple of seconds of each other at 1:54. Unacceptable in a lab or common-use environment. There had better be ways to speed this up. BTW, new profile creation under Vista on the same machine was < 30 seconds.

The Inexcusable
The same abominable, spawn of Satan, Vista-style interface for changing between a domain profile login and local profile login is still there (switch user -> other user -> type computerName\userName). WTF is so wrong about presenting something to click when choosing the domain or the local computer!?!
:thumbsdow x 100

I had no problem updating office 2007 from win7. once I added it to microsoft update.

I have AVG free running on mine with no problems whatsoever. the only prompt I had was for the password as I was installing it from the network.

I cannot answer the last one yet, but I will try it from the office to join the domain (local GIS tends to frown upon joining the domain with beta opeating systems though)
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by Beelzebub
I cannot answer the last one yet, but I will try it from the office to join the domain (local GIS tends to frown upon joining the domain with beta opeating systems though)
It's the exact same behavior as Vista so no need to join the Win 7 machine to the domain if you want to share in the pain.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Race Director

My laptop is part of the domain.

But I guess since I never log in as anyone other that my domain ID I have never noticed it. (my domain ID is a local administrator)
Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I had no problem updating office 2007 from win7. once I added it to microsoft update.
OK, that's wierd. I'm almost certain that under Vista I just automatically had Microsoft Update fucntionality from inside of the OS's Windows Update feature without having to do anything. I just automatically started receiving updates for Office from within Vista's Automatic Updates and Windows Update without touching anything.

I just went and manually added Microsoft Update to Win 7 and now have 380+ MB of Office patch goodness on its way.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I have AVG free running on mine with no problems whatsoever. the only prompt I had was for the password as I was installing it from the network.

to the first two. I will say I was having the same problem with AVG with the older pre-betas 6801 and 6956.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I'm currently running 7000 x64 with no AV cause I just haven't bothered since this is the 4th time I've installed this build between two PCs. I'll try it out and see if it's bugging me but I thought AVG didn't have that problem with build 7000.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 01-12-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

as a side note have any of you guys tried out the search commands add in for Office 2007? It's an unsupported add in from Office Labs

Originally Posted by Office Labs
Search Commands helps you find commands, options, wizards, and galleries in Microsoft Office 2007 Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Just type what you’re looking for in your own words and click the command you need. Search Commands also includes Guided Help, which acts as a tour guide for specific tasks.
http://www.officelabs.com/projects/s...s/default.aspx
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Also has anyone else noticed that when installing updates that you most updates you aren't required to restart your PC. This was something that was supposed to happen in Vista but got axed and then in vista SP1 they kinda implemented it but its definitely in Win 7. I can install graphics card drivers and not have to restart after wards, I just install 376.7mb of Office updates including Office SP1 and didn't have to restart.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Drifting

I changed the swap file for kicks and it didn't ask for a restart, that kinda scared me.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by Stapler
I changed the swap file for kicks and it didn't ask for a restart, that kinda scared me.
Hey! Good to see you again, where you been?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Another new feature that should be good for you IT guys, it's called problem steps recorder.

Originally Posted by Neowin.net
Microsoft recently published a demonstration of Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) in action. PSR allows users to record their issues and provide help desk support agents or friends/family with the result. The result is a ZIP file with a MHTML report of the actions a user has taken. The report is basically an automated set of screenshots with documentation of the steps the user took. I made a quick demonstration of the feature earlier, you can find the ZIP here.

You can launch this new feature under the troubleshooting section in control panel or by searching for psr.exe in the start menu. Check out the video below for a full overview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFMqz8VMk4

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...order-overview

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 01-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Hey! Good to see you again, where you been?
Back to my old habits of writing out responses and never posting them. I don't want to subject the world to my spelling and sentence structure. That and flagstaff.

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Windows 7 and Office 2010 Thread