Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Also, using hangouts for texting blows. Had to DL handcent for texting,hangouts way too complicated.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 16,264 Likes on 11,973 Posts
hangouts is waaay to complicated...
The following users liked this post:
AmberB (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace
^ouch. there must be a work around.

I wanted to install the nexus 7 into my car's dash and tether it to the nexus 5....
Patiently waiting for work around...

I think a VPN and Bluetooth tether will fix, but probably unbearable slow.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Justin, some like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44051364@N00/9544700275/http://www.flickr.com/photos/44051364@N00/9544700275/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/44051364@N00/, on Flickr
speedemon90 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Tablet in dash good. Saw marks on dash trim bad.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 AM

sure, anil. sure.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
So OK I got to play with the N5 last night cause I couldn't sleep and some more this morning at work. I'd say I put a total of 4 hours into it.

My cut and dry review.

The screen is wonderful. Very sharp looking. The look and feel of the phone is definitely the best out of all the Nexus. The OS icons are really nice and bigger. Easy to spot and click. Speakers are pretty bad. Was talking to my mom this morning on speaker and could BARELY make out most of what she was saying. The vibration motor is loud. Almost as loud as some ringtones. Definitely louder than the N4.

As a software developer I naturally go through every use case I can think of regarding functionality and user interface design. Here are some I don't like.

Message app sucks just like those mentioned above. Hangout is mixing hangout chats with SMS and it gets confusing at times. For example, my friend is on Gmail so by default he is on Hangouts. I message him but he never gets it because it went straight to Hangouts instead of SMS. He doesn't use Hangouts. I can't even force SMS on this messaging app. If the person isn't detected to be on Hangouts then it will send send messages via SMS. That's where most of my confusion were.

The Dialer also has a flaw. Trying to easily find People is more cumbersome than before. You can't go straight to People when in dialing mode. You have to press the Back button, which some won't even think about doing, to get access to the People button. Something you'll have to get used to but I was lost when I first had to navigate it.

All in all, I feel like if you have the N4, there is no need to switch to the N5. I don't feel there is anything significant in this phone to warrant an upgrade. Speaking from experience with my N4, I feel like the N4 still has a lot of processing power. I have not experience any noticeable slowdown on my N4 to be blown away at the processing speed of the N5. None of the new features in the N5 makes me more productive. The improve voice command is cool but I have never used it on a day to day basis. Keep your N4.

And for some reason I feel that the N4 is built sturdier than the N5. Just my opinion on that.

Btw David, I chose the Spigen because I spent hours on hours looking for a good case. The Spigen one looked the best out of all. And when my friend snapped it on, it was nice and snug and it looked classy. I got this one btw: http://www.spigen.com/brands/google/...eo-hybrid.html
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by AmberB
Tablet in dash good. Saw marks on dash trim bad.
yeah the dremel got away from me

I saw someone put some plastic dip on the trim, the paint match was awesome...I might try that when I get something else in the mail

I tether through my Note 3 and it works fine....

not sure if this work around is only for the Note3 but u guys might be able to try it out:

Download a wifi tether toggle widget (like hotspot toggle)
add the widget to the home screen
when you hit the widget to ON, it tells, me, "checking ATT"...the says "call 611 for wifi tether"....dont hit the OK button on the message, hit the home button
the hotspot is on...
click on the hotspot message in the notification menu to configure the hotspot...
done

again this is a work around in the Note 3....not sure if it will work on the Nexus 5 but worth a try....

PS: root is not needed....but I have the note3 rooted...
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Nexus 5 ratted me out for tethering the N7. As soon as I turned on the WiFi tether I got redirect to T-Mobile page. F me.
Using a phone that has its IMEI in the carrier's database. What else did you expect? If you are on prepaid, you get some free tethering but might be capped depending on your plan. Postpaid, I believe almost all of the plans allow tethering now.

I agree Hangouts app isn't the easiest to grasp, but giving up on it after a day is just lazy.

Danny, doesn't it let you choose whether to send SMS or Hangouts to a person? I know you can select it when you tap on the person's name in the thread, which also brings up another issue of how ridiculously difficult they made it by separating SMS and Hangouts into different threads because you sometimes forget which one you are in, or sent the last message with. I really hope they streamline it when they integrate Google Voice into it next year.

Can you type a person's name in the Dialer to get to a person's info faster, or does that end up calling the person?

I think the N4's design is still better looking than the N5. Just something about the back looks so elegant and fancy. The white version of the N4 is definitely a ton better than the N5.
Might have to go naked with it soon-ish since my OEM bumper finally broke, but hasn't fallen off yet.

p.s. Are any of you using the stock Google Keyboard on your N5? If so, your thoughts?

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 11-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Danny, doesn't it let you choose whether to send SMS or Hangouts to a person? I know you can select it when you tap on the person's name in the thread, which also brings up another issue of how ridiculously difficult they made it by separating SMS and Hangouts into different threads because you sometimes forget which one you are in, or sent the last message with. I really hope they streamline it when they integrate Google Voice into it next year.

Can you type a person's name in the Dialer to get to a person's info faster, or does that end up calling the person?

I think the N4's design is still better looking than the N5. Just something about the back looks so elegant and fancy. The white version of the N4 is definitely a ton better than the N5.
Might have to go naked with it soon-ish since my OEM bumper finally broke, but hasn't fallen off yet.

p.s. Are any of you using the stock Google Keyboard on your N5? If so, your thoughts?
In the very beginning it would NOT let me choose between SMS and Hangouts. It will "auto detect" if they are on Hangouts and then choose Hangouts first. For example I've chatted with my wife on Gmail Chat (aka Hangouts) before. When I chose her phone number, it somehow wanted to find her on Gmail Chat, found her, and forced me to chat with her through Hangouts instead of SMS. She doesn't use Hangouts.

And since Hangouts mix actual phone numbers with previously contacted people on Gmail, it was a mess!. I had to delete all of the Gmail Suggested Contacts I previously had so that it doesn't get mixed up with actual phone numbers. After doing that my Hangouts go straight to SMS because there are no history of Gmail Chats.

There is no option to type in the name of the person in Dialer.

I've always used the stock Keyboard. No complaints from me.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Goodbye.

Interesting observation about your speaker. Seems like reviews and xda are saying a bit the opposite though - that it is the loudest speaker after the HTC One. Hmm wonder if it's a manufacturing defect.

Does your Dialer app not show this?

Or does it still not work when you type it in there?

I really think they just dumped SMS integration into Hangouts to shut up people who kept complaining about it lol. Seems like a really rushed job. Did you have to enable SMS in the settings, or was it checked by default?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Btw David, I chose the Spigen because I spent hours on hours looking for a good case. The Spigen one looked the best out of all. And when my friend snapped it on, it was nice and snug and it looked classy. I got this one btw: http://www.spigen.com/brands/google/...eo-hybrid.html
I got the neo-hybrid for my Note 3 as well and I think its a very good case. The
neoprene is thick enough to absorb a good knock, the fit is fantastic and I agree, it looks really good. (I got the Ferrari yellow )
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM

SMS is default to Hangouts and nothing else.

This is what my dialer looks like:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Pictu...c1ZbB1IncjfKlA
Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Goodbye.

Oh, I meant in the Hangouts settings page, there is a box to check for SMS. Was just wondering if that came checked by default or if you had to manually check it.

And I get a 403 error with your link

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 11-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Here's a screen shot of a screen shot

http://d.pr/i/Q5s7
Old 11-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Goodbye.

Oh yeah, so in that screen all you do is start typing the person's name. Like 326 gets you DAN. They started that with 4.3. But if you want to just see that person's info and not call them, then I guess you'd have to just type it in that omnibox in the main Dialer app screen?
Costco (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster

Using a phone that has its IMEI in the carrier's database. What else did you expect? If you are on prepaid, you get some free tethering but might be capped depending on your plan. Postpaid, I believe almost all of the plans allow tethering now.

I agree Hangouts app isn't the easiest to grasp, but giving up on it after a day is just lazy.
I expected it to work like my galaxy nexus and nexus 4 did...they never ratted me out. I figured tethering to another android would be undetected... The user agent is the same, no?

Giving up on hangouts was a decision that took exactly 2 minutes. I shouldn't need to watch YouTube or search for instructions online to send a simple friggin text.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
In the very beginning it would NOT let me choose between SMS and Hangouts. It will "auto detect" if they are on Hangouts and then choose Hangouts first. For example I've chatted with my wife on Gmail Chat (aka Hangouts) before. When I chose her phone number, it somehow wanted to find her on Gmail Chat, found her, and forced me to chat with her through Hangouts instead of SMS. She doesn't use Hangouts.

And since Hangouts mix actual phone numbers with previously contacted people on Gmail, it was a mess!. I had to delete all of the Gmail Suggested Contacts I previously had so that it doesn't get mixed up with actual phone numbers. After doing that my Hangouts go straight to SMS because there are no history of Gmail Chats.

There is no option to type in the name of the person in Dialer.

I've always used the stock Keyboard. No complaints from me.
Interesting, I wonder if hangouts is different on your phone than mine... I don't really have that problem...

If I search a name on hangouts I will see two things, The first option will be if they're in my google contacts/circles or on hangouts, the second option will be their phone number. I can click either, which ever method I want to choose. If I click sms, I'm sending it via sms and nothing else. If i click the google contact its that and nothing else.

Then at the top of the sms thread it says their name. If I click it, I'm able to switch to hangouts. And then it switches the thread. Theres no forcing it to send via hangouts only.

Basically I approached it as one place where I can message hangouts and sms (not synced together into one thread) and it's fine by me. It could be better, but for now there's nothing complicated.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I expected it to work like my galaxy nexus and nexus 4 did...they never ratted me out. I figured tethering to another android would be undetected... The user agent is the same, no?

Giving up on hangouts was a decision that took exactly 2 minutes. I shouldn't need to watch YouTube or search for instructions online to send a simple friggin text.
How much data do you use per month generally?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:54 PM

it did take me more than 10 mins to figure out hangouts...which it shouldnt have.

texting should be simple and not task involved...
Old 11-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Interesting, I wonder if hangouts is different on your phone than mine... I don't really have that problem...

If I search a name on hangouts I will see two things, The first option will be if they're in my google contacts/circles or on hangouts, the second option will be their phone number. I can click either, which ever method I want to choose. If I click sms, I'm sending it via sms and nothing else. If i click the google contact its that and nothing else.

Then at the top of the sms thread it says their name. If I click it, I'm able to switch to hangouts. And then it switches the thread. Theres no forcing it to send via hangouts only.

Basically I approached it as one place where I can message hangouts and sms (not synced together into one thread) and it's fine by me. It could be better, but for now there's nothing complicated.
Probably different then because I just tested it again. I deleted my Hangouts data and cache. Went to Hangouts, signed in, click on my wife's phone number on my phone list, says it's "Looking up contacts", then sends me straight to Hangout chats. I would do a video of it but it will show too many private numbers.

Now if I search for her name on the bar and click on her phone number, then I'm able to send SMS. Not intuitive for sure. Probably just a use case that Google forgot to consider.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 11-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM

How much data do you use per month generally?
2 GB maybe, have unlimited.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Probably different then because I just tested it again. I deleted my Hangouts data and cache. Went to Hangouts, signed in, click on my wife's phone number on my phone list, says it's "Looking up contacts", then sends me straight to Hangout chats. I would do a video of it but it will show too many private numbers.

Now if I search for her name on the bar and click on her phone number, then I'm able to send SMS. Not intuitive for sure. Probably just a use case that Google forgot to consider.
Hmm I see, yea I just search the number if I want to add someone new and just click the number. I don't go through the list since it's too long. Although the top results for the list are all hangouts chat.

If you want tethering, you can switch to a 2.5GB plan that includes tethering and its the same cost as the unlimited data. 2.5 is "unlimited" but its just throttled after that point.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM

So I just saw on xda that I'm not the only one with this problem. It appears others who upgraded from Nexus 4 to Nexus 5 also were met with up sell page from T-Mobile. In an interesting twist, my up sell page is gone now and wifi tether works again.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

So I just saw on xda that I'm not the only one with this problem. It appears others who upgraded from Nexus 4 to Nexus 5 also were met with up sell page from T-Mobile. In an interesting twist, my up sell page is gone now and wifi tether works again.
thats weird... haha

I've had that page ever since tmobile updated their things. And it was there on my GS3 and NS.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,411 Likes on 6,307 Posts
MySoCalLife (11-08-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm on the verge of just ordering the N5 and letting the remaining 2 mos. of my Verizon contract run out

Verizon, never again.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,446 Posts
It amazes me how fast this cheap charger charges my phone and tablet. I just wish I remember where I got it from

Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Suzuka Master

For those of you with the N5, is the camera slow like I'm seeing in the videos??
Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 AM

^I came from a Galaxy SII.

I dont know this slow you speak of.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
For those of you with the N5, is the camera slow like I'm seeing in the videos??
Yes, as slow as on my IP4 w/IOS 7
And then it also has confusing buttons too
Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Judging by the videos I saw, my GS3 takes faster pics with the stock android camera. Unless HDR+ is on by default and no one knows it so thats why?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Yep, slow to focus. Slow to release shutter. Once its all done, assuming you didn't miss the shot it will look better than what any previous nexus could do. Its decent, but slow.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Why when I send a text with my N5 using Textra do I get a response text back from friends iphone only on me ipad? Nothing comes through to the N5.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MR1
Why when I send a text with my N5 using Textra do I get a response text back from friends iphone only on me ipad? Nothing comes through to the N5.
Does it do the same if hangouts is your default texting app?

And did you have an iphone before this?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Textra is now my default. Hangouts sucked so I'm not using it. Yes I still have IP4 but no SIM card in it.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
It sounds like you didn't disable iMessage. Your friends are probably sending their texts via iMessage by default:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...0&fm_seq=62995
Old 11-08-2013, 12:58 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,446 Posts
got to play with a N5 today... it's quite nice, but also got to play with a LG G2... and I like it better
Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
My Z Tab is getting 4.4
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
It sounds like you didn't disable iMessage. Your friends are probably sending their texts via iMessage by default:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...0&fm_seq=62995
THIS

its the setting with iOS7...it defaults it to "only us imessage and not text message"....so you dont get a text back...now if they send you a image you will get it since its MMS....

they have to go in the settings - messages - enable text messages....

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread