Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Who Will Win the SuperBowl?
Seahawks
34.62%
Steelers
65.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Official Superbowl Thread!

Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
I didn't say 5-7 from the goal...

I said 15-20 inches from the goal!!!

Look at where the line is and where his elbow and the ball are touching the ground. It's more than a forearms length from the line!!

The fix is in for sure
that is not 15-20 inches from the goal...
Old 02-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by seattle dale
Howabout the phantom holding call that cost us dearley. Even madden was talking about it, wondering what the ref was looking at. Just one of about 5 bad calls.

when did that happen? was that when alexander had his one big rushing play? cuz that was def. holding.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
J. Stevens 3 catches for 25 yards 1 td (dropped 4-5 passes??)

porter only had 3 tackles but his team won.. stevens shouldn't have guaranteed the win....
he didn't gaurentee a win. Well i guess he is suppose to say his team will lose next time. Get a clue!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:01 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
that is not 15-20 inches from the goal...

The defenders elbow is on the line extending to the ball behind the QBs elbow...

Now, I don't know about you... but my forarm is 18 inches from elbow to the tips of my fingers... and I'm not half as big as that guy.

Include the QB's elbow width... say even half of it... and you've at least 3 more inches... that's 20 inches easy.

It's certainly not the "inch" you guys keep claiming.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Drifting

when did that happen? was that when alexander had his one big rushing play? cuz that was def. holding.
No it was on like a 20yd pass play. Think it was in the 2nd quarter.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Bent = #1

The defenders elbow is on the line extending to the ball behind the QBs elbow...

Now, I don't know about you... but my forarm is 18 inches from elbow to the tips of my fingers... and I'm not half as big as that guy.

Include the QB's elbow width... say even half of it... and you've at least 3 more inches... that's 20 inches easy.

It's certainly not the "inch" you guys keep claiming.

so you're saying the ball was more than a foot away from the goal line and it was not reversed? i think if it was that far away it would have been reversed...
Old 02-05-2006, 11:06 PM
The Creator

so you're saying the ball was more than a foot away from the goal line and it was not reversed? i think if it was that far away it would have been reversed...
Look at the picture.

And you yourself made the claim "field calls are rarely reversed" and made the point that the replay official only reverses 23% of calls... "lowest in the league"

Blatantly bad call that should have been reversed. Easily more than a foot from the goal on contact with the ground.

But that snake quarterback ya'll have sure was quick in getting that ball up in front of him after hitting the ground.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Well this is like beating a dead horse. Pittsburg won & congradulations once again. But all i ask is for some refs heads to role in the off season. The officiating this year was deplorable. The players need to decide the fucking games not the brain-dead refs.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Bent = #1

he didn't gaurentee a win. Well i guess he is suppose to say his team will lose next time. Get a clue!

"Steelers linebacker Joey Porter minded his manners and said nothing derogatory about the Seahawks during his first two days at the Super Bowl. That changed Wednesday after Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens effectively guaranteed a victory."

First paragraph.. sorry he effectively guaranteed the win...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2315169
Old 02-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Bent = #1

Look at the picture.

And you yourself made the claim "field calls are rarely reversed" and made the point that the replay official only reverses 23% of calls... "lowest in the league"

Blatantly bad call that should have been reversed. Easily more than a foot from the goal on contact with the ground.

But that snake quarterback ya'll have sure was quick in getting that ball up in front of him after hitting the ground.

are you sure that picture isn't from the end of the play... i know you saw the replay and that picture is not from the stoppage of his forward progression... ben was closer to the goal line than 20 inches
Old 02-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Drifting

"Steelers linebacker Joey Porter minded his manners and said nothing derogatory about the Seahawks during his first two days at the Super Bowl. That changed Wednesday after Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens effectively guaranteed a victory."

First paragraph.. sorry he effectively guaranteed the win...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2315169
My bad; Knew he made a statement about betis, didn't know about that one. When i'm wrong i'll say i'm wrong & i apologize. I think Stevens phyced himself out. He had more drops this game than he had all season.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
The Creator

are you sure that picture isn't from the end of the play... i know you saw the replay and that picture is not from the stoppage of his forward progression... ben was closer to the goal line than 20 inches
his body is in the air, does that look like the end of a play to you?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Bent = #1

My bad; Knew he made a statement about betis, didn't know about that one. When i'm wrong i'll say i'm wrong & i apologize. I think Stevens phyced himself out. He had more drops this game than he had all season.

i know.. i don't think someone from his position should make any comments like that... a tight end doesn't normally make that much effect on a game.. when i first heard it during mid week last week i was confused.. but he had his chance to back up his talk but he didn't do it.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Bent = #1

his body is in the air, does that look like the end of a play to you?

it looks like his body is on a player and are you seriously not watching the replays on sportscenter because if you look at their replays compared to that picture there is a big difference
Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah that pic was after the initial contact, which drove him way back. If he did get in, he got an inch of the ball over an inch of the white line. Forward progress is all that matters.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:17 PM
The Creator

it looks like his body is on a player and are you seriously not watching the replays on sportscenter because if you look at their replays compared to that picture there is a big difference
you need to turn up your monitors brightness or something... you can see the ground under him. there is no player under him.

hes in the air, its the moment of impact. his elbow hitting the ground. his left palm hit first.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:19 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
Yeah that pic was after the initial contact, which drove him way back. If he did get in, he got an inch of the ball over an inch of the white line. Forward progress is all that matters.
The ball may have been an inch over the line while it was in the air but its where it lands that matters.

He got knocked back before hitting the ground and when he did... well... you see... which is why youre defending it.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Bent = #1

you need to turn up your monitors brightness or something... you can see the ground under him. there is no player under him.

hes in the air, its the moment of impact. his elbow hitting the ground. his left palm hit first.

that picture was after contact... are you watching the replays on tv? they completely show the right angle... ben was about an inch from the goal line
Old 02-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Bent = #1

The ball may have been an inch over the line while it was in the air but its where it lands that matters.

He got knocked back before hitting the ground and when he did... well... you see... which is why youre defending it.

it doesn't matter where the ball lands.. if the ball crosses the line while in the air then it is a touchdown.. all the ball has to do is cross the "plane" of the goal line to count for a touchdown... likewise when someone punts if the ball crosses the goal line the ball is a touchback
Old 02-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Goodnight all, I have to get ready to deal with the seahawk bashers @ work tomorrow. Have fun pittsburg. Hopefully we'll meet again next year.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:23 PM
The Creator

it doesn't matter where the ball lands.. if the ball crosses the line while in the air then it is a touchdown.. all the ball has to do is cross the "plane" of the goal line to count for a touchdown... likewise when someone punts if the ball crosses the goal line the ball is a touchback
So if I'm standing in the end zoone, I jump to catch a ball... and fall forward to the 1 yard line and hit the ground... I just scored a touch down??
Old 02-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Bent = #1

So if I'm standing in the end zoone, I jump to catch a ball... and fall forward to the 1 yard line and hit the ground... I just scored a touch down??

if the ball crossed the goal line then it would be a touchdown
Old 02-05-2006, 11:27 PM
The Creator

if the ball crossed the goal line then it would be a touchdown
show me presedence or the rule book on this one. tell me how someone could prove to within any accuracy that a ball while in the air crossed the "plane" of the goal line
Old 02-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Bent = #1

show me presedence or the rule book on this one. tell me how someone could prove to within any accuracy that a ball while in the air crossed the "plane" of the goal line

im talking about a ball within possesion crossing the goal line counts as a touchdown... earlier in the year michael vick extended his arm to the right of the pileon (sp?) and it counted as a touchdown only because the goalline extends infinitely on both sides. As long as the ball crosses the goal line it is a touch down.. watch nflive now.. it is just starting you should see the full replay and explanation..
Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Bent = #1

if you watched it they explained everything i'm saying.. the goal line extends completely upwards so aslong as the balls crosses any point in that goal line it is a touchdown. that ball was not 20 inches away.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maximized
You can then watch the ref call a late pentalty after Pittsburgs defense complained. A win is a win, but there was a lot of suspect calls.
It does not take much to cause seperation which is what Jackson did. Was it a hard push? No. Was it enough to give him inches of sepeartion to make the catch? Yes. It was a penalty, but probably would not have been called if it didn't result in a TD. He had to call it because of the outcome.

About the ref throwing a late flag...watch the replay again. He actually pulled the flag rather quickly. It looked delayed, but only because he pulled out his black ball marker flag, then put it back and pulled his penalty flag.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
if you watched it they explained everything i'm saying.. the goal line extends completely upwards so aslong as the balls crosses any point in that goal line it is a touchdown. that ball was not 20 inches away.
they only explained this every single MNF game. The goal line extends to infinity. All the ball has to do is cross that plane, whether in the air, on the ground. Even if the guy dives 5 yards out of bounds at the goal line, if the ball crosses that imaginary plane before he hits the ground, its a touchdown, hence the word "infinity".

Eventhough Ben and the ball ended up behind the goaline when he went down, during his dive, the ball crossed the plane (I'll agree very close). The refs weren't calling it a TD because Ben moved the ball across the goaline after he was down, they called it a touchdown because during his dive, they saw a piece of the ball cross the plane.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I personally think this was a pretty boring game outside of the 3 big PIT plays. However, I think that had a lot to do with the conservative coaching style of Cower and Holmgren. Also, the commercials blew big balls and the half time show sucked as well.

I think at the peak of Ben's leap, the ball barely crossed the plane, which like mentioned above extends upwards. When contact was made, it pushed him back which is the snap shot the soopa linked. I am sure someone will get a hold of frame by frame angles from the correct sideline angle showing the ball touched the line. I think he should have extended the ball though, which would have ended this controversy.

I really feel Pittsburgh would have won regardless, because the curse of Seattle Butterfingers sneaked into Stevens’s locker before the game. He dropped some crucial passes which would have put Seattle in position to continue drives and potentially score. I think Holmgren should have got a lot more aggressive, but he decided to poorly manage his play calling and the game clock.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
they only explained this every single MNF game. The goal line extends to infinity. All the ball has to do is cross that plane, whether in the air, on the ground. Even if the guy dives 5 yards out of bounds at the goal line, if the ball crosses that imaginary plane before he hits the ground, its a touchdown, hence the word "infinity".
By the side line the ball carrier would have to stretch the ball over the pylon. If he dove out of bounds and the "ball" went out of bounds at the 2, that is where it would be spotted.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by cazzy
By the side line the ball carrier would have to stretch the ball over the pylon. If he dove out of bounds and the "ball" went out of bounds at the 2, that is where it would be spotted.

unless his arm or a bodypart crossed the line inside the pylon before he was out.. michael vick did it earlier in the season..
Old 02-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

unless his arm or a bodypart crossed the line inside the pylon before he was out.. michael vick did it earlier in the season..
He could throw his arm inside the pylon all day, but if the ball does not go over or inside the pylon...it is not a TD. I don't know what Vick play you are talking about, so I would have to see it.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Tell me where pittsburg got shitty calls this game?
The seahawks QB's 3rd of 4th quarter run that resulted in a huge fumble...that was deemed not a fumble...that was a pretty shit call to me.

He fucking butterfingered the ball, no one made him drop it.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 AM
The Creator

that ball was not 20 inches away.
yeah i know... i was just fuckin' round. i don't really give a shit about football

i photoshopped that picture...

this is the original from yahoo...

this is mine:

Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
The seahawks QB's 3rd of 4th quarter run that resulted in a huge fumble...that was deemed not a fumble...that was a pretty shit call to me.

He fucking butterfingered the ball, no one made him drop it.
No one has to make him drop it. If no one touches you, it is still a live play. I am sure you have seen plays where a guy slips, then gets up and starts running again. That is because nobody downed the runner. Foote touching him made it down by contact. If Foote would have missed on his swipe, it would have been a fumble. It was an easy call to mistake as a fumble because Foote barely touched him.

In college, it would have been an easier call to make since once your knee touches the ground, you are down....regardless if anyone touches you or not.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah i know... i was just fuckin' round. i don't really give a shit about football

this is mine:

Nice one.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Drifting

ummm, no. If at any time any part of the ball crosses any part of the line, it's a touchdown. doesn't matter where it lands.

a lot of the people complaining about the calls must be REALLY casual football fans who don't seem to know the finer details of the rules.

whatever was called in live action on the field (in this case, touchdown), gets the benefit of the doubt. no clear, conclusive evidence on the replay = call stands
Old 02-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GOOSE
Steelers
31-20
got the margin of victory correct. 20 points off, but still not bad.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GOOSE
ummm, no. If at any time any part of the ball crosses any part of the line, it's a touchdown. doesn't matter where it lands.

a lot of the people complaining about the calls must be REALLY casual football fans who don't seem to know the finer details of the rules.

whatever was called in live action on the field (in this case, touchdown), gets the benefit of the doubt. no clear, conclusive evidence on the replay = call stands
Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Im not reading all that crap from last night...who won the point spread?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

this is mine:

That's classic.

Quick Reply: Official Superbowl Thread!