Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,453 Likes on 3,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Well, it's a win...but, the game changed when the Rangers basically took out Crosby. I'm not sure I like the hit...and well, you and I had debated it before as it involved, guess who, Trouba.

If the Pens have lost Sid and NY comes back, we know why they did.
Yep, way too many cheapshots for my liking. Z got away with 2 elbows and a high stick in the first period alone. The Pens are up 2-0 and they elbow Crosby in the back of the head and knock him out of the game. Pens were going to win and the only way the Rangers could stay in the series was to start gooning it up. Later in the game Malkin gets jumped from behind by Lindgren. So the Pens get knocked off their game and dragged into the sewer and the Rangers get a win. Honestly I saw it coming and knew they'd get dirty but I didn't expect the level of cheap shit that they got away with. Like you said, if Crosby is out and the Pens lose it will be obvious why
Old 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Dude, it's hockey not crazy 8's. When you have the puck you are subject to being hit. I hope Sid is not hurt but they have been pummeling us all series. (Shesterkin has not been himself since the Carter hit) are we whining about those two horrific losses???

There was no call and we were penalized from the first second, only got our first PP in the 3rd.
Igor through his elbow into Carter and flopped like he got shot, please

And the Trouba hit absolutely was head hunting and should have been called
Old 05-12-2022, 10:43 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Penguins' Sidney Crosby being tested for upper-body injury; Rangers' Jacob Trouba won't face discipline

By The Athletic Staff

May 12, 2022Updated 8:35 AM MST

https://theathletic.com/news/penguin...3&redirected=1Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby will have his upper-body injury evaluated when the team returns to Pittsburgh on Thursday, coach Mike Sullivan said. Crosby exited following a high hit from New York Rangers defenseman Jacob Trouba in the second period of Wednesday's Game 5.

The Rangers defeated the Penguins 5-3 to extend the first-round playoff series. Game 6 is on Friday. The Penguins lead the series 3-2.

Sullivan declined to specify whether Crosby had a head injury. Crosby, who has sustained at least three concussions in his career, has missed 108 regular-season games and one playoff game because of head injuries in the past.

Trouba will not be fined or suspended for the Crosby hit, a source
to The Athletic. It was not deemed an illegal hit.

Sullivan said Thursday it's not his responsibility to have an opinion on if the hit on Crosby warranted supplemental discipline.

When asked about Trouba's hit on Crosby on Wednesday, Sullivan said, "Did you see the hit? You probably have the same opinion I do."

New York overcame a 2-0 deficit in the second period by scoring three times in three minutes to take the lead. All three of the Rangers' second-period goals came after Crosby exited. Crosby missed the final 6:50 of the period and did not return for the third period.

Pittsburgh tied the game with nearly two minutes left in the second period on Jake Guentzel's goal. The Rangers responded with goals from Filip Chytil and Ryan Lindgren in the third period.

Said Sullivan on Thursday: "We can win games regardless of who is in our lineup. We have a lot of depth at all of the positions. We believe we have what it takes to win. ... This group has always had the 'next man up' mentality."

Follow The Athletic's NHL playoffs live updates here.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Typical NHL, won't protect their stars or address headshots, no surprise here. Elbow to the back of the head is targeting the head, but I don't expect the Lack of Player Safety to care
Old 05-12-2022, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Rule 48.1 declares an illegal check to the head as "a hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable."

Last edited by 97BlackAckCL; 05-12-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:58 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like the hit but this is war and you guys are bringing it.

Rules? I can quote (ignored) rules too.

You guys (arguably) got 14 goals out of that broken & ignored rule

Rule 7.3 – Interference/Protection of the Goaltender

Rule 7.3 ? Interference/Protection of the Goaltender » Rule Book Admin.
  1. A Minor penalty for Interference or, at the discretion of the Referee, a Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty based on the degree of violence of impact, shall be assessed to any player who:
    1. interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck, or
    2. deliberately knocks a stick out of an opponent’s hand, or
    3. prevents an opponent who has lost or dropped their stick from regaining possession of it.

Note 1: The last player to touch the puck - other than the goaltender - shall be considered the player in possession.

Note 2: Often the action and movement of the attacking player causes the interference, since the defending players are entitled to “stand their ground” or “shadow” the attacking players. Players of the side in possession of the puck shall not be allowed to run deliberate interference for the puck carrier.

Note 3: Regarding the finishing of a check, a player must make immediate contact with an opponent upon the release of the puck for that contact to be legal. Immediate contact can best be described as contact occurring within a maximum distance of an arm and stick length between the puck carrier and the player delivering the check.
  2. A Minor penalty for Interference with the Goaltender shall be assessed to a player who, by means of their stick or body, interferes with or impedes the movements of the goaltender by actual physical contact. The penalty should be announced as Interference with the Goaltender.
  3. Note: A goaltender is not “fair game” just because they are outside the goal crease. A penalty for Interference (a Minor penalty or, at the discretion of the Referee, a Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty) or Charging (a Minor penalty or, at the discretion of the Referee, a Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty) shall be called where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with the goaltender. Likewise, Referees should be alert to penalize goaltenders for Tripping, Slashing, or Spearing in the vicinity of the goal.

Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking side may not stand in the goal crease. If the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the goal shall not be allowed. However, if an attacking player is in the goal crease but does not interfere with the goaltender and another attacking player (who is outside the goal crease) scores, the goal shall be allowed provided that the player who is in the goal crease does not attempt to play the puck, interfere with the play or obstruct the goaltender’s view or movements.

The ensuing face-off shall be taken in the neutral zone, at the face-off spot nearest the attacking zone of the offending team.

If a player of the attacking team has been physically interfered with by the actions of any defending player so as to cause them to be in the goal crease and the puck should enter the net while the player so interfered with is still in the goal crease, the goal shall be allowed.

A Minor penalty shall be assessed to an attacking player, who while their team has possession of the puck, is interfered with by a defending player, but fails to attempt to avoid making contact with the goaltender. In addition, if a goal is scored it shall be disallowed.

A Minor penalty shall be imposed on an attacking player, not in possession of the puck, who is tripped or caused to fall and fails to attempt to avoid contact with the goaltender whether they are in or out of their crease.

A Minor penalty shall be imposed on any attacking player who makes deliberate contact with a goaltender whether in or out of the goal crease.

At the discretion of the Referee, a Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty may be imposed under Rule 6.3 (b) - Charging or Rule 8.2 (c) - Cross-checking. In the event that a goaltender has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed. If applicable, the appropriate penalties will be assessed.
  4. Where a stick or any object is thrown on the ice from the players’ or penalty bench or where a player on the ice is interfered with by an opposing player or team official on the players’ or penalty bench (whether or not play is in progress), a Bench Minor penalty shall be assessed to that team if the Referee is unable to identify the person responsible, except as covered in Rule 4.10 (a)(4) - Awarded Goals and Rule 7.4 (d) - Tripping. If a goal is scored, no Bench Minor penalty would be assessed.
  5. Where a stick or any object is thrown on the ice from the players’ or penalty bench or where a player on the ice is interfered with by an opposing player or team official on the players’ or penalty bench (whether or not play is in progress) and the Referee is able to identify the person responsible, that person shall be assessed a Bench Minor penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty. When Rule 4.10 (a)(4) - Awarded Goals or Rule 7.4 (d) - Tripping are applied, the Bench Minor penalty would not apply but the Game Misconduct penalty would.
  6. A Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty shall be assessed any player who injures an opponent by interference.
  7. A Match penalty shall be assessed to any player who injures an opponent or deliberately attempts to injure an opponent by interference.
  8. A Minor penalty for Interference shall be assessed to a goaltender that deliberately piles snow inside their goal crease at any time or is observed by the Referee to have deliberately left or placed an object in their defending zone at or near the net before proceeding to the player’s bench.

A Penalty Shot shall be awarded to the non-offending team if, in the Referee’s opinion, such object or obstacle actually prevents a goal while the offending team’s goaltender is legally on the ice. If a Penalty Shot is awarded under this rule, the Minor penalty shall not be assessed.

A goal shall be awarded if, in the opinion of the Referee, such object or obstacle actually prevents a goal after the offending goaltender has been legally substituted by another player.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 05-12-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Igor picked Carter, watch the replay he sticks out his elbow and interferes with Carter

I didn't see Bread Man or Z or Kreider getting elbowed in the back of the head, you'd be furious if that happened....
Old 05-12-2022, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

You mean to tell me that Igor's never been bumped before and can't overcome it? He's an NHL goalie, getting bumped into is part of the job. Especially if he initiated the contact with Carter in the first place
Old 05-12-2022, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Carter tries to avoid contact, Igor sticks out his leg and elbow to interfere with Carter....

Old 05-12-2022, 11:48 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, you go ahead and believe that bs. He was going to his net & Carter hit him.

Your guys have been (rightfully) bringing it all series. It's hockey.

Stop it at the point of contact and listen to the inane TNT announcer then sure. But he is a goalie in huge pads going to his net.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 05-12-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

If he's going to his net he doesn't stick out his elbow and knee, he would avoid the contact

Old 05-12-2022, 11:57 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

How does a person propel themselves forward? Pushing out the leg. Huge pads are an impediment to smooth movement.

Agree to disagree?
Old 05-12-2022, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
As I posted, I don't like Trouba's hit. And I have no skin in this game...so, I'm being objective, too.

He took off Khaira's head from the Hawks earlier in the season and given Trouba's track-record...yeah, I want to say it's a dirty hit.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Trouba came out in the first shift of the game and elbowed Guentzel in the back of the head, he was using his elbow as a weapon the whole game, and yes there are other examples this season of Trouba taking headshots, so it's dirty no question
Old 05-12-2022, 02:43 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

As I posted, I don't like Trouba's hit. And I have no skin in this game...so, I'm being objective, too.

He took off Khaira's head from the Hawks earlier in the season and given Trouba's track-record...yeah, I want to say it's a dirty hit.
I have never said these hits are good. I am saying he is not being penalized either in-game (most times) nor afterward when there has been a huge outcry & the league obviously reviewed the video.

There has been no shortage of Ranger penalties (STARTED THE GAME DOWN TWO MEN) so why not these Trouba hits?

If they are not doing anything does that not suggest they don't think he broke the rules? Or are you suggesting there is a Trouba exemption?
Old 05-12-2022, 02:51 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Trouba came out in the first shift of the game and elbowed Guentzel in the back of the head, he was using his elbow as a weapon the whole game, and yes there are other examples this season of Trouba taking headshots, so it's dirty no question
He was penalized & no additional on the Guentzel check. (checking is part of the game no)? I can provide dozens of "dirty" examples the Pens have done, you can respond in kind. It is hockey. If it's too violent perhaps another form of entertainment would suit better?
Old 05-12-2022, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

I have never said these hits are good. I am saying he is not being penalized either in-game (most times) nor afterward when there has been a huge outcry & the league obviously reviewed the video.

There has been no shortage of Ranger penalties (STARTED THE GAME DOWN TWO MEN) so why not these Trouba hits?

If they are not doing anything does that not suggest they don't think he broke the rules? Or are you suggesting there is a Trouba exemption?
I think the takeaway here is that the playoffs are gritty, physical affairs...duh, of course it is...No objection to it.

However, however...to be physical is one thing but to take out someone's head is another. Like look at Nurse for Edmonton? His headbutt on Danault was terrible...and yeah, he deserves that suspension (guess what, he was not penalized in the game for it). So, I'm not saying your team is not taking it either physically, it's doled out on both sides. Just that, no place for the cheap-crap in the game...and frankly, taking out the superstar and one of the faces of the NHL is just not good.

From the analysis and replays, I hear the argument that it's not a hit that can be suspended. But, while I hear it, I don't agree with it. And again, it's just my opinion and honestly, the NHL Player's Safety is so hit and miss...I really don't know what to expect anymore. Just going to say this: If someone did that to Panarin or Fox, as an example, you'd be just as frustrated. Take away the outcome (no penalty and suspension), a bad hit is a bad hit. Trouba has a history of borderline hits and as much as I like his physicality, he needs to really draw the line here.
97BlackAckCL (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 03:49 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the Wilson hit that ended Panarin's season last year. No penalty, no suspension, NADA.

I agree 100% player safety is an oxymoron. I do not like hits above the shoulders, they are 100% bad, until the league makes it illegal and clamps down with suspensions & fines it will continue to happen. I hope Sid is ok.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

He was penalized & no additional on the Guentzel check. (checking is part of the game no)? I can provide dozens of "dirty" examples the Pens have done, you can respond in kind. It is hockey. If it's too violent perhaps another form of entertainment would suit better?
Body checks are part of the game, elbows to the head are not and should not be
Old 05-12-2022, 04:03 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Body checks are part of the game, elbows to the head are not and should not be
Please show me where I said elbows to the head were part of hockey/ok.

As far as Igor, have you ever skated with goalie gear? I have. It is ungainly.

If you watch the clip you see he is returning to the net, it's ok if you disagree.
There are 2 people on Earth that know 100% what happened. Igor & Carter. As neither has spoken out (that I am aware of) we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I suspect, someone will drop the gloves with Trouba next game.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:05 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect, someone will drop the gloves with Trouba next game.
I'd take that bet (if I can have the they will side)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

@ Leaves/Bolts OT coming up...

@ Oilers/Kings...will Edmonton choke like they are apt to do or force a Game 7?
Old 05-12-2022, 10:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,595 Likes on 1,721 Posts
@ Leaves/Bolts OT coming up...
The curse continues at least for one more game
Old 05-12-2022, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Leaves yet again fail to close. One more try in Game 7...
Old 05-12-2022, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Oilers holding on 2-1 into the turd...can they hold?

Old 05-13-2022, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Leaves yet again fail to close. One more try in Game 7...

I held off on posting this, but after last night it seemed appropriate
The following 2 users liked this post by 97BlackAckCL:
e30cabrio (05-13-2022), Joneill44 (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:03 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oilers holding on 2-1 into the turd...can they hold?
Apparently, they could.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:24 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Woot!

Old 05-13-2022, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Apparently, they could.
Barely. LA tied it on the PP and Edmonton, thanks to their cheat code in McJesus, got a goal from Barrie very late in the game to make it 3-2. We'll see what they are really made up in Game 7 now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
e30cabrio (05-13-2022), is300eater (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:34 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Barely. LA tied it on the PP and Edmonton, thanks to their cheat code in McJesus, got a goal from Barrie very late in the game to make it 3-2. We'll see what they are really made up in Game 7 now.
I was long asleep by then, It was 7-7 in the Yankee game when I went to sleep, (they had blown a 7-4 lead. I expected to wake up to a loss. Thank you 7 run 8th! they won 15-7.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

I was long asleep by then, It was 7-7 in the Yankee game when I went to sleep, (they had blown a 7-4 lead. I expected to wake up to a loss. Thank you 7 run 8th! they won 15-7.
Don't get me farking started about the Yanks/ChiSox game...

WTF is wrong with Chicago's bullpen!??? Joe Kelly got 2 out with the tied game at 7 and promptly lost the game because him and Burr could not farking get a simple 3rd out?!?!?!??
Old 05-13-2022, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Being a fan of Chicago pro teams is an exercise in heartbreak and indigestion.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:36 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me farking started about the Yanks/ChiSox game...

WTF is wrong with Chicago's bullpen!??? Joe Kelly got 2 out with the tied game at 7 and promptly lost the game because him and Burr could not farking get a simple 3rd out?!?!?!??
Being a fan of Chicago pro teams is an exercise in heartbreak and indigestion.

Sorry, I did not mean to open a wound. If it gives you any solace, the Yankees have not won since 2009.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:48 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

What's worse than the game being on ESPN? TNT! gaaaaaa Why???
Old 05-13-2022, 07:17 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Mika finally appears!
Old 05-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

What's worse than the game being on ESPN? TNT! gaaaaaa Why???
Leah Hextall is on the ESPN broadcasts, right? Ehhh...I'm all for women being involved but she's not good.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:41 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a 1 game series!!!!!
Old 05-13-2022, 09:03 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Leah Hextall is on the ESPN broadcasts, right? Ehhh...I'm all for women being involved but she's not good.
Agreed & I'd take her over TNT. I just don't like them.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

So many game 7s!

All I can ask for as a hockey fan.

e30cabrio (05-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread