Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

THE 2007 College Football Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
The fact is Hawaii could barely beat Louisiana State, and had to go to OT vs. San Jose State. Their opponents have a record far under .500. Have them get paid to fly to Ohio State, USC, Texas, LSU, Auburn, UGA, WVU, OU, Cal, Michigan, and the list could go on.. Even if they lost the game they would have money, and potentially, depending on the outcome, respect from the national media for taking any of those teams to OT, last second play of the game, or just even keeping it close.

Until that happens they don't deserve to be considered for the title game.
So you are DQ'ing a team before the season starts because they have a weak schedule. The NCAA needs to list these teams out in August so their fans don't waste energy going to their games.

Those big boys will never schedule Hawaii, even at home. They are too good to be a creampuff and not good enough where a loss doesn't kill their season. A home loss to Hawaii and you are done. A home victory over Hawaii and that's a non-conference win against a non-BCS school that you were supposed to win anyway.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by Caddyİ
Bama has played Hawaii twice in the last 5 years. Why would Saban NOT want to play Hawaii? They are a quality team.
jet lag
Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
The NCAA needs to list these teams out in August so their fans don't waste energy going to their games.
If the fans of midmajors go to games because they think their teams have a chance to win the national title, they are stupid.
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by Pull_T
So you want to keep the current system but just add on an extra game wit the BCS champ and whatever POS midmajor happens to be undefeated?
Last year's POS sure smelled sweet to the Sooners. How about you schedule all the unbeatens not ranked 1 or 2 to play somebody first, then when they are crushed, play your NC game.
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Actually, no.

Then ask Michigan about App. State.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Benchwarmer

If the fans of midmajors go to games because they think their teams have a chance to win the national title, they are stupid.
Under the current system you are right. They literally have no shot, so they would be stupid.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Professor
Then ask Michigan about App. State.
App. State is Div II or III?

That's news to me, Professor.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Карты убийцы

O.k. here's a proposed playoff system:

1) Each team only schedules eight conference games and no out-of-conference games except one game for a rival. Independents, like Notre Dame, well screw you. Join a conference.
2) The champion of each conference begins tournament play against other conference champs. 12 conferences, six games the first week. The team with the best overall record gets a bye going into the final game.
3) Each playoff game still gets named some sort of bowl to secure corporate sponsorship.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Карты убийцы

App. State is Div II or III?

That's news to me, Professor.

No but they are in a playoff system.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

O.k. here's a proposed playoff system:

1) Each team only schedules eight conference games and no out-of-conference games except one game for a rival. Independents, like Notre Dame, well screw you. Join a conference.
2) The champion of each conference begins tournament play against other conference champs. 12 conferences, six games the first week. The team with the best overall record gets a bye going into the final game.
3) Each playoff game still gets named some sort of bowl to secure corporate sponsorship.
Wow...your plan sucks balls...

- 12 conferences? You planning to add one?

- The 11 conferences currently have varying numbers of members, you going to realign them all to even it out?

- How do you determine a conference champ only playing 8 games in a 12 team league?

- Currently, teams play 12 regular season games...you want to cut that to 9? You're gonna drop about 200 total games just to add in a dozen or so playoff games?

You're ruining a LOT of what makes college football great just to make things fair for Hawaii.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
So you are DQ'ing a team before the season starts because they have a weak schedule. The NCAA needs to list these teams out in August so their fans don't waste energy going to their games.
When did Hawaii win a NC or even get any credit for winning a NC? Never.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

Those big boys will never schedule Hawaii, even at home. They are too good to be a creampuff and not good enough where a loss doesn't kill their season. A home loss to Hawaii and you are done. A home victory over Hawaii and that's a non-conference win against a non-BCS school that you were supposed to win anyway.
Alabama just scheduled them last year.

Scheduling Hawaii would help any of those teams SOS if they won. This is as long as Hawaii wins out.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Bent = #1

Last year's POS sure smelled sweet to the Sooners. How about you schedule all the unbeatens not ranked 1 or 2 to play somebody first, then when they are crushed, play your NC game.

It's all about the money for the BCS conferences when it comes to the bowl games. This is one of the major factors holding back a playoff system.

Think about it. 6 BCS conferences have locks into a BCS bowl game. If it gets switched to a playoff system then would they still have locks into that? That means it has to be at least a 8 team playoff. Then we can just add in Hawaii and some other cupcake team.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned

Last year's POS sure smelled sweet to the Sooners.
Well, there is a reason that Boise State winning that game was such a huge deal...because it is considered rare that a midmajor be able t beat a good BCS conference school like that.

And besides, OU was by no means the best team in the country, and in fact, had an off year...prolly had the worst team in Norman since 1999.

If Boise State needed overtime and miracle plays to beat OU, you really wanted to see Florida pound their ass into the ground a week later?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Bent = #1

Well, there is a reason that Boise State winning that game was such a huge deal...because it is considered rare that a midmajor be able t beat a good BCS conference school like that.

And besides, OU was by no means the best team in the country, and in fact, had an off year...prolly had the worst team in Norman since 1999.

If Boise State needed overtime and miracle plays to beat OU, you really wanted to see Florida pound their ass into the ground a week later?

We already saw them pound Ohio State's ass into the ground
Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Карты убийцы

Wow...your plan sucks balls...

- The 11 conferences currently have varying numbers of members, you going to realign them all to even it out?

- How do you determine a conference champ only playing 8 games in a 12 team league?

- Currently, teams play 12 regular season games...you want to cut that to 9? You're gonna drop about 200 total games just to add in a dozen or so playoff games?

You're ruining a LOT of what makes college football great just to make things fair for Hawaii.

OK Point 4: If your team doesn't make the playoffs, let them schedule crappy non-conference games for the remainder of the season.

Pull T, why does a playoff work for I-AA and not for I-A?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Карты убийцы

I left the Independents as their own conference because Notre Dame wouldn't join anything in which they had to compete.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Benchwarmer

When did Hawaii win a NC or even get any credit for winning a NC? Never.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

Alabama just scheduled them last year.

Scheduling Hawaii would help any of those teams SOS if they won. This is as long as Hawaii wins out.
What I said is that Hawaii never had a chance this year. I know they've never won in the past.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Benchwarmer

It's not about what I want to see, it's about giving Boise State what it deserves: a chance to finish the season as #1.

Now that you mention it though, I would rather see Boise State vs. Florida than Wake Forest vs. whoever last year in some BCS bowl.

This year I would rather watch Ohio State vs. Hawaii/Kansas (if undefeated) than Ohio State vs. LSU or Oregon.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Bent = #1

OK Point 4: If your team doesn't make the playoffs, let them schedule crappy non-conference games for the remainder of the season.

There is so much money involved in I-A. People die for CF, especially I-A football. There is a reason I-A football teams have 90k seats in stadiums and I-AA have 20k? Money, fans, sponsorships, tradition.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Bent = #1

What I said is that Hawaii never had a chance this year. I know they've never won in the past.

Right. I know there will be exceptions, but these schools haven't won in the past for a reason. They aren't GREAT football teams, not because they haven't been given a chance, but because they just plain can't compete with the top level schools.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Bent = #1

It's not about what I want to see, it's about giving Boise State what it deserves: a chance to finish the season as #1.

Now that you mention it though, I would rather see Boise State vs. Florida than Wake Forest vs. whoever last year in some BCS bowl.

This year I would rather watch Ohio State vs. Hawaii/Kansas (if undefeated) than Ohio State vs. LSU or Oregon.

I dont' think you can group Kansas & Hawaii together in the first place. But why Ohio State vs. Hawaii. That would be boring, being it is a Big 10 team in the first place

It should be Oregon vs. LSU IMO. Those 2 teams have proven themselves, unless Kansas does go undefeated.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Banned

You want them to schedule tem on the fly after the playoffs are set? Creates all kind of headaches from how you handle season tickets to time crunch.

And do the playoffs "work" in I-AA...I guess. I don't watch I-AA playoffs or care about them and no one else does either. And I sure as hell don't watch I-AA regular season.

I-A regular season and bowl games are wildly popular...and will remain so assuming they don't fuck it up with awful ideas like your's.

I left the Independents as their own conference because Notre Dame wouldn't join anything in which they had to compete.
There are only 4 independents. Army, Navy, Notre Dame and Western Kentucky. I guess that you just want to give Notre Dame a free pass into the playoffs? (well, other than this particular year)
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

It should be Oregon vs. LSU IMO. Those 2 teams have proven themselves, unless Kansas does go undefeated.
We have already discussed how you feel the SEC is so dominant that their 1-loss team is the best one, despite looking awful for a month and a half...so let's not beat that dead horse.

But why, in your opinion, is Oregon clearly your choice over Oklahoma when discussng 1-loss teams? Especially considering Oklahoma has to win a Conference championship game against either Mizzou or Kansas.

I suppose Oregon had a "better loss" against Cal than OU did against Colorado, but with how Cal has faded, the value of that loss is shrinking. And OU would have wins over Texas, Mizzou, and Kansas/Mizzou which stack up well against Oregon's notable win.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Карты убийцы

You want them to schedule tem on the fly after the playoffs are set? Creates all kind of headaches from how you handle season tickets to time crunch.

And do the playoffs "work" in I-AA...I guess. I don't watch I-AA playoffs or care about them and no one else does either. And I sure as hell don't watch I-AA regular season.

I-A regular season and bowl games are wildly popular...and will remain so assuming they don't fuck it up with awful ideas like your's.

There are only 4 independents. Army, Navy, Notre Dame and Western Kentucky. I guess that you just want to give Notre Dame a free pass into the playoffs? (well, other than this particular year)

Here, have a beer on me and relax. It's only football and ideas to make it better.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Benchwarmer

I dont' think you can group Kansas & Hawaii together in the first place. But why Ohio State vs. Hawaii. That would be boring, being it is a Big 10 team in the first place

If Ohio State goes 12-0 you would bypass them? The only thing Oregon and LSU have proven is that they can lose a game. Nobody has proven that they can beat Hawaii or Kansas.

Proof is not on your side in this argument. Tradition, money, schedule, predictions are on your side.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Here, have a beer on me and relax. It's only football and ideas to make it better.

Uhh...ok I guess I am not relaxed.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Карты убийцы

Uhh...ok I guess I am not relaxed.

When you get to the point of saying "don't fuck it up with awful ideas like your's" you may be a bit defensive.

I never proposed the idea as "mine." I said "a" proposed system. Hell if I could propose a system, I'd be coaching Division I-AA football at Wofford for $200K a year.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

jet lag

Jet Lag can be beat, just like Hawaii...and it'll probably happen soon!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Bent = #1

We have already discussed how you feel the SEC is so dominant that their 1-loss team is the best one, despite looking awful for a month and a half...so let's not beat that dead horse.

But why, in your opinion, is Oregon clearly your choice over Oklahoma when discussng 1-loss teams? Especially considering Oklahoma has to win a Conference championship game against either Mizzou or Kansas.

I suppose Oregon had a "better loss" against Cal than OU did against Colorado, but with how Cal has faded, the value of that loss is shrinking. And OU would have wins over Texas, Mizzou, and Kansas/Mizzou which stack up well against Oregon's notable win.

Oregon would have wins over Cal, USC, Arizona State, & Michigan. I would have to say there schedule is "tougher" IMO. This only happens if Michigan wins the Big 10.

I'm still not convinced that Kansas/Missouri is any good
Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Bent = #1

If Ohio State goes 12-0 you would bypass them? The only thing Oregon and LSU have proven is that they can lose a game. Nobody has proven that they can beat Hawaii or Kansas.

Proof is not on your side in this argument. Tradition, money, schedule, predictions are on your side.

No I never said bypass them, I'd like to see them get embarrassed two years in a row. How have they improved from last year besides losing Gonzalez, Troy Smith, Ginn Jr. & Pittman? They haven't played any good teams either except for their "extremely tough" Big 10 schedule. They did the same stuff last year and were beaten quite easily.

I meant that I think Oregon & LSU would be the best title game. Maybe not the two best teams in the nation, but from the top 5 teams right now they would have the best match up. I still think Auburn is better than LSU, and that LSU isn't the best team from the SEC.

They have gotten shady calls all year, against USC, Auburn & Bama. They have gotten lucky with Les Miles' calls, and the only time his calls failed them was their loss @ UK. I just think the defense that SEC schools have is above the rest. See NC game last year when Ohio State who put 42 on Michigan only put 14 on UF.

I think the Big 12 & Pac 10 are way better than the Big 10. I think OU is better than Ohio State.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Bent = #1

^ And proof is on my side because Hawaii has never PROVEN they are any good by getting declared the National Champion. If the BCS didn't exist voters would not pick an undefeated Hawaii over a 2 loss BCS conference team, unless Hawaii had shown they could beat that caliber of teams.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Benchwarmer

^ And proof is on my side because Hawaii has never PROVEN they are any good by getting declared the National Champion. If the BCS didn't exist voters would not pick an undefeated Hawaii over a 2 loss BCS conference team, unless Hawaii had shown they could beat that caliber of teams.
What does the past have anything to do with 2007? If it mattered Florida would already be sitting in the NC game this year, because they were oh so good last year.

Speaking of this year, do my Illini have any chance at Ohio State Saturday?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

So you're saying Auburn is the best team in the country? lol
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Bent = #1

What does the past have anything to do with 2007? If it mattered Florida would already be sitting in the NC game this year, because they were oh so good last year.

Speaking of this year, do my Illini have any chance at Ohio State Saturday?

@ Ohio State? or @ Illinois?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

in columbus
Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Bent = #1

So you're saying Auburn is the best team in the country? lol

No I never said that. I just feel we are better than LSU. They won on a last second pass, and our team blew up in the 3rd quarter.

I think our defense is one of the best in the nation, and it is more impressive when you consider how young our team is and the injuries we've had. We held McFadden to 43 rushing yards when he put up 321 against South Carolina.

Our offense isn't great, but isn't terrible, but by no means a NC title contender. Our coach even said we weren't capable of winning the NC the way we started the season out.

I just don't think there is a clear cut #1 this year. Like I said OU, LSU, & Oregon are all better than Ohio State this year. I think it's a toss up b/w those 3, and OU will probably get excluded because of their "lack of SOS."
Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Bent = #1

in columbus

Then Ohio State by 14.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Then Ohio State by 14.
spread is at 14.5
looks like I'll have to take the Illini
Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Bent = #1

Not to beat a dead horse.. but if you look at the sagarin rankings.. Kansas has the 106th SOS in the nation... Also there is a good detailed article showing if the Pac 10 or SEC are stronger. When I get some time today I will setup the SEC vs. Big 12.

To see who would win -- or at least be favored -- The Dash went with the Sagarin Ratings, in part because they're less subjective than the polls and in part because the mere mention of computer rankings makes some of my ESPN.com colleagues break out in hives.

The matchups:

Oregon-LSU: Ducks favored by 0.5 points.

Arizona State-Florida (5): Sun Devils by 1.8.

USC-Auburn (6): Tigers by 0.5.

Cal-Georgia (7): Bulldogs by 2.4.

Oregon State-Alabama (8): Crimson Tide by 4.8.

UCLA-Kentucky (9): Wildcats by 5.9.

Washington-Tennessee (10): Volunteers by 6.6.

Arizona-Arkansas (11): Razorbacks by 9.7.

Washington State-South Carolina (12): Gamecocks by 10.4.

Stanford-Vanderbilt (13): Commodores by 7 -- or a few National Merit Scholars.

The Pac-10 would be favored (by a little) in the top two. The SEC would be favored (by a steadily increasing amount) in the following eight.

Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images

Dennis Dixon would point to the Pac-10's top two teams having a higher Sagarin ranking than the SEC's top two squads.

So the logical conclusion would be that the Pac-10 is at least as good at the top, and perhaps better, while the SEC separates itself via quality depth.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Bent = #1

Bold teams are favored. It's pretty much the same as the SEC vs. Pac 10 matchup. Big 12 is stronger on the top 3, but the SEC is more deep. Although the Big 12 would win a matchup against the Pac 10.

LSU vs. Kansas .5
Florida vs. Oklahoma 4
Auburn vs. Missouri 4
UGA vs. Texas 1.5
Alabama vs. Kstate 4
Kentucky vs. Texas Tech 3.5
Tennessee vs. Oklahoma St. 2.8
Arkansas vs. Colorado 3.5
South Carolina vs. Texas A&M 4.5
Vanderbilt vs. Nebraska 4.5
Miss. State vs. Iowa State 9.1
Ole Miss vs. Baylor 7.4