Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

THE 2007 College Football Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
If UT does lose to ARK, and UGA wins, they still have to beat UK to win the East. I don't see them winning against BOTH UK and UT.
I don't either. UK wins that one!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Caddyİ
no
Then College Football needs to have a preseason poll that excludes all the Hawaiis that have no chance even if they run the table.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Then College Football needs to have a preseason poll that excludes all the Hawaiis that have no chance even if they run the table.
I agree--even if they run the table!

I'm just messing with you IlliNorge
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

But think about it....a few years ago Auburn ran the table. Where did that get them?

Given that fact, where should it get the little island 2500 miles out to sea?

This year tells me more than any in recent history: We need a playoff system...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caddyİ
But think about it....a few years ago Auburn ran the table. Where did that get them?

Given that fact, where should it get the little island 2500 miles out to sea?

This year tells me more than any in recent history: We need a playoff system...
That was when you had three 12-0 teams and one was left out. That's far different than having an undefeated team get snubbed in favor of a 1 loss team who has given up 30 points a game the last 6 weeks and narrowly escaped many losses.

But Hawaii is definitely different than Kansas...I wouldn;t mind seeing Hawaii left out in favor of LSU...if they go over Kansas, it's ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Benchwarmer

There's something wrong with a system that allows a team to go undefeated and not be #1. I don't care if it's Ohio State, Kansas, Hawaii, Boise State or Tulane. Strength of schedule is fine for ranking teams, but not for determining their finish.

Hawaii has no chance because they weren't judged high enough to begin the year. That's ok for figure skating, not football.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pull_T
But Hawaii is definitely different than Kansas...I wouldn;t mind seeing Hawaii left out in favor of LSU...if they go over Kansas, it's ridiculous.

KU deserves to be in the NC game if they finish with wins against Mizzou and OU.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Meh...I don't want a playoff system. If every 3-4 years, the National Championship game is clouded with some uncertainty, i don't see it as that big of a deal. A playoff system dilutes the importance of dozens and dozens of regular season games. Those games *are* playoff games now.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Benchwarmer

Meh...I don't want a playoff system. If every 3-4 years, the National Championship game is clouded with some uncertainty, i don't see it as that big of a deal. A playoff system dilutes the importance of dozens and dozens of regular season games. Those games *are* playoff games now.
Not to Hawaii, Bosie, Tulane, Auburn....

They won all their "playoff" games, but did not get the hardware.

I don't think you need a playoff system either, except for undefeated teams.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Not to Hawaii, Bosie, Tulane, Auburn....

They won all their "playoff" games, but did not get the hardware.

I don't think you need a playoff system either, except for undefeated teams.
Well, those games were still important...cause they still had to win them to stay in the hunt.

I understand it isn't perfect, but I prefer it to diluting the importance of the regular season. If 8 teams make the playoffs, who even cares about the BigXII title game or SEC title game or Oregon/USC, LSU/KU, OU/Mizzou, OU/Texas, OSU/Michigan, Oregon/ASU or dozens of other big games this year?

Heck, look at the NFL...the last two weeks of the season, no one gives a shit. The current system creates urgency for 3+ months. If Auburn or Hawaii or Kansas get fucked over every so often, so be it.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Benchwarmer

Well, those games were still important...cause they still had to win them to stay in the hunt.

I understand it isn't perfect, but I prefer it to diluting the importance of the regular season. If 8 teams make the playoffs, who even cares about the BigXII title game or SEC title game or Oregon/USC, LSU/KU, OU/Mizzou, OU/Texas, OSU/Michigan, Oregon/ASU or dozens of other big games this year?

Heck, look at the NFL...the last two weeks of the season, no one gives a shit. The current system creates urgency for 3+ months. If Auburn or Hawaii or Kansas get fucked over every so often, so be it.
I agree with your general premise, but you're being too extreme. It turns out Boise State was never in the hunt last year, which just can't happen in a legitimate sport of any kind. Those big games should count like they do now, but the NCAA has to make sure that every team (but one) gets to lose a big game.

The NFL always has a big game or two in the last week for the wild card. While those teams probably won't win the Super Bowl, at least they have a chance and you can't say that their fans don't give a shit.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I do think we need a playoff system at the end of the season. Maybe even 8 teams. The athletes just keep getting better and better so you see a lot of teams that can all compete toe to toe with one another. This will give Hawaii and other teams the chance to show that they can run the table.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

8 team playoff? Man, that is so unfair to the 9th best team...better make it 16...or 32. Then the SEC can get all their 5 loss teams a chance.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:06 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Like I said:
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
The athletes just keep getting better and better so you see a lot of teams that can all compete toe to toe with one another.

The teams are getting so good that even the top 4 wouldn't be enough to make everyone happy about it. This way there wouldn't be any "what if" questions. I just think that 16 or 32 would be a bit much, but that 4 isn't enough. Just my .
Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
I do think we need a playoff system at the end of the season. Maybe even 8 teams. The athletes just keep getting better and better so you see a lot of teams that can all compete toe to toe with one another. This will give Hawaii and other teams the chance to show that they can run the table.
8 teams isn't good enough. Hawaii is BCS #16 and AP #14. It is likely they won't crack the top 8 by season's end. 16 teams is 4 extra for two teams, which really waters down the regular season.

I don't think a playoff is the answer, just find a way to leave only 1 team at most undefeated at the end of the year. Is that too difficult?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned

I could honestly care less about the nonBCS undefeateds being denied the title chance. The only time anyone really gets screwed is when there are tree undefeated BCS conference schools...which barely ever happens.

And if this season there are 1-loss BCS schools like OU or LSU or Oregon who get left out...then tough shit...they should have won. I'll complain if OU gets "screwed", but we lost our playoff game to Colorado.

Last edited by Pull_T; 11-05-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Kansas will have to beat two top 6 (or higher) teams to go undefeated. That still not good enough?
I said earlier they did deserve a chance I was talking as of right now.

No shit sherlock. The BigXII champ goes to a BCS game? I obviously was referring to the BCS title game.
Sorry master pull t I can't read your fucking mind. Does it hurt you to type out "title" in between BCS & game?

Wow...bringing up games from 3 years ago? I realize you feel butthurt over Auburn getting denied the title game appearance, but the Big XII has more national titles this decade than the SEC 2 vs 1.5 and they both have one the last two years. And the Big XII has 5 of the last 12 National Champions. And the BigXII was 5-2 in the "title games" in that span. Not sure how one game (a game that may get forfeited anyway due to USC cheating) means every BigXII Champ is "overrated"
I'm not butthurt over 2004 I just like bringing it up because I know it gets you angry. I can't change the past, but putting a Kansas team in the BCS TITLE game right now is retarded.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Bent = #1

If they improved their schedule then they would deserve a chance. They play 2 BCS conference teams, and neither of those teams are any good.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Bent = #1

That was when you had three 12-0 teams and one was left out. That's far different than having an undefeated team get snubbed in favor of a 1 loss team who has given up 30 points a game the last 6 weeks and narrowly escaped many losses.

4 undefeated teams if you include #4 Utah.

And your argument is only valid if Kansas goes undefeated which will not happen.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Bent = #1

Also, the fact that everyone has all these ideas about what should happen.. 4 team, 8 team, 16 team playoff just shows that it will never be perfect.

Every year there are bball teams that get left out of the tourney. Tough shit for them.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Also, the fact that everyone has all these ideas about what should happen.. 4 team, 8 team, 16 team playoff just shows that it will never be perfect.
I agree with that. Lots of years, the top 2 are pretty straightforward and you don't need any playoff, and in fact, a playoff or Plus-1 would simply make things *less* fair. Just scanning over the last 10-12 years, about half the time it was perfectly clear without a playoff. If you do a playoff in those years, you dilute the regular season along with making the championship less clear,
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Bent = #1

I agree with that. Lots of years, the top 2 are pretty straightforward and you don't need any playoff, and in fact, a playoff or Plus-1 would simply make things *less* fair. Just scanning over the last 10-12 years, about half the time it was perfectly clear without a playoff. If you do a playoff in those years, you dilute the regular season along with making the championship less clear,

You finally agree with me... I can fall asleep now
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

You finally agree with me... I can fall asleep now
Well, just because you are wrong about who plays fr the natonal title doesn;t mean you can't be right about the process to determine one.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Benchwarmer

If they improved their schedule then they would deserve a chance. They play 2 BCS conference teams, and neither of those teams are any good.
I've got a problem with this one. They can't control who they play in conference and no one wants to travel to Boise State or Tulane or even Hawaii when they could be paying some team $400,000 to guarantee a W. Scheduling is a two-way street and BCS conferences only travel on one side of the road.

Again, non-conference schedule is fine for rankings and polls, but not for denying a team a national championship. If all Hawaii does in the regular season is beat Washington and Boise St. then send them to Columbus and make them win there to be eligible.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Sorry, but I'm not wanting to change college football based on Hawaii and Boise State.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Bent = #1

Well, just because you are wrong about who plays fr the natonal title doesn;t mean you can't be right about the process to determine one.

I already said if Kansas goes undefeated they deserve the NC.. but until they do that then
Old 11-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Bent = #1

I've got a problem with this one. They can't control who they play in conference and no one wants to travel to Boise State or Tulane or even Hawaii when they could be paying some team $400,000 to guarantee a W. Scheduling is a two-way street and BCS conferences only travel on one side of the road.

Again, non-conference schedule is fine for rankings and polls, but not for denying a team a national championship. If all Hawaii does in the regular season is beat Washington and Boise St. then send them to Columbus and make them win there to be eligible.

Last time I checked teams make their own schedules. Hawaii went to Alabama last year. Big universities pay smaller schools to come play, and I'm pretty sure Bama gave Hawaii some money to come last year. They have oppportunites to schedule games, and should take advantage of it.

Last year Boise State went undefeated, got the Fiesta game and beat Oklahoma. If Hawaii goes undefeated they should get into the top 14, but if they get 15th, a more "quality" win could have bumped them into the top 14.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Bent = #1

And I don't think beating San Jose State in overtime, or Louisiana Tech by 1 qualifies the team as a national contender. Even Ole Miss beat Louisiana Tech 24-0, and they are the worst of the SEC. Cal beat them 42-12.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
If a playoff system is good enough for Division 1-AA, why not Division 1-A?

It is unthinkable that Division 1-A football is the only sport in which the NCAA has never declared a champion.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

To me, it's unthinkable to ruin college football by taking away exactly what makes it unique.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Benchwarmer

Last time I checked teams make their own schedules. Hawaii went to Alabama last year. Big universities pay smaller schools to come play, and I'm pretty sure Bama gave Hawaii some money to come last year. They have oppportunites to schedule games, and should take advantage of it.

Last year Boise State went undefeated, got the Fiesta game and beat Oklahoma. If Hawaii goes undefeated they should get into the top 14, but if they get 15th, a more "quality" win could have bumped them into the top 14.
And when is Nick Saban going to return the favor and visit Hawaii? When is anyone going to fly up to Boise and play the Broncos? Never and never. The BCS schools schedule creampuffs and home-and-homes with other BCS schools, leaving the other conferences in the dark.

So the teams don't make their own schedules.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Benchwarmer

To me, it's unthinkable to ruin college football by taking away exactly what makes it unique.
The BCS is not a unique point to be proud of. Unless you mean that coaches, writers and computers determine who is national champion. That uniqueness is unparalleled.

You are a fan of Oklahoma, a school who will never have an issue with being overlooked in the preseason. So the system suits you fine. But step back and see how ridiculous it is that a team can have a perfect season and not be the champion.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts

So Division II and III teams are not college football?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Bent = #1

And when is Nick Saban going to return the favor and visit Hawaii? When is anyone going to fly up to Boise and play the Broncos? Never and never. The BCS schools schedule creampuffs and home-and-homes with other BCS schools, leaving the other conferences in the dark.

Saban wasn't there last year, so he shouldn't have to return a favor. Also, the fact that Hawaii gets paid to fly to play Alabama, does not mean that Alabama has to fly over to Hawaii to play.

I'm sure a school would do a home/home setup with Hawaii, but Hawaii probably needs the money more than having a quality school fly out to them.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Professor
So Division II and III teams are not college football?
Actually, no.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

The BCS is not a unique point to be proud of. Unless you mean that coaches, writers and computers determine who is national champion. That uniqueness is unparalleled.
What is unique is the regular season having such urgency. Why even watch in September, October and November if you can slide into the playoffs at 9-3?

And to be honest, I don't care about Hawaii or Boise not gettng their fair chance. The BCS Conferences alone are like 65 schools...that's plenty to choose from in determining a champ.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Bent = #1

You are a fan of Oklahoma, a school who will never have an issue with being overlooked in the preseason. So the system suits you fine. But step back and see how ridiculous it is that a team can have a perfect season and not be the champion.

The fact is Hawaii could barely beat Louisiana State, and had to go to OT vs. San Jose State. Their opponents have a record far under .500. Have them get paid to fly to Ohio State, USC, Texas, LSU, Auburn, UGA, WVU, OU, Cal, Michigan, and the list could go on.. Even if they lost the game they would have money, and potentially, depending on the outcome, respect from the national media for taking any of those teams to OT, last second play of the game, or just even keeping it close.

Until that happens they don't deserve to be considered for the title game.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Banned

Bama has played Hawaii twice in the last 5 years. Why would Saban NOT want to play Hawaii? They are a quality team.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Benchwarmer

What is unique is the regular season having such urgency. Why even watch in September, October and November if you can slide into the playoffs at 9-3?
What could be more urgent than being 12-0 and watching some computer as it passes you by?

I don't think a playoff system is any good either, so let's leave that at the door. But you've got to address the issue of a Division I school going unbeaten and not winning if your sport is to be legitimate.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Banned

What could be more urgent than being 12-0 and watching some computer as it passes you by?

I don't think a playoff system is any good either, so let's leave that at the door. But you've got to address the issue of a Division I school going unbeaten and not winning if your sport is to be legitimate.
So you want to keep the current system but just add on an extra game wit the BCS champ and whatever POS midmajor happens to be undefeated?

Quick Reply: THE 2007 College Football Thread