Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

2006 World Cup; Germany

Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
^ 2:55pm eastern...

thanks jb
Old 06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
For real. Fuck stats. I mean, they're wrong 60% of the time anyway... and the other half is just opinion...

Kids in the hood may not say they want to be the next Pele, but there are a lot of kids who do say it... and, as proof by how many play soccer, there seem to be more kids outside of the hood then in...
Hell alot of people play soccer when they are kids so what, those same kids are probably on the swim team too. I played it but when I got old enough I moved to basketball and football. The fact is that most people out grow soccer and move on to baseball, basketball or football. If they can't make it in those three then they continue playing soccer. I'm not bashing soccer but rather pointing out why the US isn't any good and why our best athletes don't continue to play it. Hell I watched the World Cup and found it way more interesting than watching baseball.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Our best players didn't play in the 2004 Olympics or the World Championships. People like Shaq and Kobe didn't even play. Check the roster out for the 2008 Olympics the gold will be coming back to the US in 08.
:excuses:

Since the U.S. is SOOOO DOMINANT (but soccer since NOONE from the inner city cares about it), shouldn't the other players still be better than the rest of the world?

You know I just realized that you're blaming the U.S. national team's loss on the inner city kids not caring about soccer. :lmfao:
Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
It's not over yet

Wrong! When will you understand that most people in the country don't give a damn about soccer. They might play it as a kid but that's where it ends. The real athletes move on to basketball and football the rest well they stick with soccer. People who are from the inner city, where most of the best athletes come from, don't play soccer and probably never will. So it doesn't matter how big or how wealthy the counrty is, it will never be on the same pedestal as football, basketball or baseball in this country.

The real athletes? hahahah don't make me laugh, 99% of profesional baseball and football players couldn't hold a candle to a professional soccer player in fitness, physical ability or intelligence. basketball players do come close though.

Now lets look at the fact, soccer is not a well payed sport in the us, therefore only players who truly love the game will stick with, you are not going to become wealthy and live the thugh life by playing soccer.

The media ostersizes soccer because they don't understand the game, the people who critize the game never played the game so their observations are based on a misinformed prejudice. How can you critize something you don't undestand.

But you are probably right, soccer will probably never be on the same pedestal as basketball and baseball on this country, but who cares, the only thing that matters is what level the US is at against the rest of the world, and I believe that soccer in the us is slowly, but surely catching up. We may never be a brazil, but i believe the us has the potential to a be top 15 nation.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell alot of people play soccer when they are kids so what, those same kids are probably on the swim team too. I played it but when I got old enough I moved to basketball and football. The fact is that most people out grow soccer and move on to baseball, basketball or football. If they can't make it in those three then they continue playing soccer. I'm not bashing soccer but rather pointing out why the US isn't any good and why our best athletes don't continue to play it. Hell I watched the World Cup and found it way more interesting than watching baseball.
So you're saying everyone who plays professional soccer really wanted to be a football or basketball player instead but wasn't good enough?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by FastAcura
The reason that soccer is not big here is because U.S. doesn't dominate it. The reason U.S. dominates in other sports is because they put a lot more effort into them. It's not that soccer players here aren't great athletes, it's the fact that everywhere else in the world people put as much effort into soccer as the U.S. does into football/basketball here.
I agree somewhat with this point but still disagree about our best athletes playing soccer.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:34 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now that the US is out, is this thread going to go donwnhill from here?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:35 PM
It's not over yet

I just read your other posts. What a bunch of BS. "we'd dominate it."

You mean like the U.S. dominated the basketball world championships on their own soil when they finished 6th? Or when they finished 3rd at the Olympics only winning about 60% of their games? That's a little above average at best.
good point
Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by ccannizz11
I don't think so. I've had soccer on either to watch or listen to in the background since the WC started... and didn't just follow the US. I route for someone in every match.. and now that it's single eliminiation it should be even more exciting to watch!!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
So you're saying everyone who plays professional soccer really wanted to be a football or basketball player instead but wasn't good enough?
That's how I'm reading it...
Old 06-22-2006, 12:40 PM
I

No I think it's more like

"Ok, I'm about to start High School. Hmmm, should I be playing soccer (which is not cool) or should I be on the football and basketball team and look cool? Besides, all those European countries are kicking our ass, I won't go far with soccer anyway. I'll just play it safe and stick to football"

Tell me this, how many 5 year olds play football, baseball, basketball? You won't even make the high school varsity soccer team if you start playing soccer when you're 12 - you have to start a lot earlier. Saying "they switch to soccer when they can't make the 'big three'" is retarded. They don't move up from soccer to something else, they realize that they're not good enough so they choose something else. You're basically saying that all those professional soccer players played football, baseball and basketball until they were 12 or 13, and then in 6 years became so good at soccer that they could compete with the rest of the world?

If all football players "moved up" to it from soccer, how come I've NEVER seen a football player who knows how to play soccer, or only knows a little.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
NCAA ball >>>> NBA ball
Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
No, what I'm saying is if given the choice of those three, most people are going to play football or basketball over soccer. Simply because soccer in this counrty doesn't get the respect or the dollars that football or basketball does.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Not Asian

No, what I'm saying is if given the choice of those three, black people are going to play football or basketball over soccer. Simply because soccer in this counrty doesn't get the respect or the dollars that football or basketball does.
fixed
Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I

Also, you will find a lot of NBA players from foreign countries whos favorite sport is soccer (Nowitzki, Nash, Nocioni.) Why would they become bball players when they are such great athletes?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
No, we're good sports. We'll wait for the Canadian team to be eliminated out of respect for our frosty brethren.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

No I think it's more like

"Ok, I'm about to start High School. Hmmm, should I be playing soccer (which is not cool) or should I be on the football and basketball team and look cool? Besides, all those European countries are kicking our ass, I won't go far with soccer anyway. I'll just play it safe and stick to football"

Tell me this, how many 5 year olds play football, baseball, basketball? You won't even make the high school varsity soccer team if you start playing soccer when you're 12 - you have to start a lot earlier. Saying "they switch to soccer when they can't make the 'big three'" is retarded. They don't move up from soccer to something else, they realize that they're not good enough so they choose something else. You're basically saying that all those professional soccer players played football, baseball and basketball until they were 12 or 13, and then in 6 years became so good at soccer that they could compete with the rest of the world?

If all football players "moved up" to it from soccer, how come I've NEVER seen a football player who knows how to play soccer, or only knows a little.
The same reason why you don't see soccer players who know how to play, or know a little about football. Look, all I'm saying is that in order for this country to get better in soccer, the way the media and the general public views soccer will have to change. Then you will get the great athletes playing soccer at an early age and they will pick it over sports like football and basketball.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM
It's not over yet

respect, if you are worried about respect instead of love of the game, then please by all means stay away. The bets players at their respective sports are good at them because they love their sport, and they want to be the best, not get payed.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by phipark
fixed
Wrong. Alot of White people play basketball as well as football in this country.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:56 PM
likes it raw

Also, you will find a lot of NBA players from foreign countries whos favorite sport is soccer (Nowitzki, Nash, Nocioni.) Why would they become bball players when they are such great athletes?
Nash actually still plays, and hes supposedly pretty damn good
Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Once more into the breach

The same reason why you don't see soccer players who know how to play, or know a little about football. Look, all I'm saying is that in order for this country to get better in soccer, the way the media and the general public views soccer will have to change. Then you will get the great athletes playing soccer at an early age and they will pick it over sports like football and basketball.

There is no benchmark for global talent in any sport outside of soccer. Its easy to wax intellectual that the US has the best football (NFL) players in the world....put up against who? The left tackle for the Toronto Argonauts?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I

I feel like the U.S. just took a big step backwards. In 2002 there was a lot more hype even a few months after the World Cup. Now, noone will be talking about it much until the next world cup.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Not Asian

Wrong. Alot of White people play basketball as well as football in this country.
I would most of the people that play basketball and football can not play soccer. Mainly because they are not built for soccer. They are built for football and basketball.

You made the mistake by saying "inner city" kids were the best athletes.

The problem lies in the post-collegiate program. The MLS is growing, so hopefully, more athletes will stick with the support instead of becoming a stock broker.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by phipark
You made the mistake by saying "inner city" kids were the best athletes.
I said most not all.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I

Originally Posted by peacefrog
There is no benchmark for global talent in any sport outside of soccer. Its easy to wax intellectual that the US has the best football (NFL) players in the world....put up against who? The left tackle for the Toronto Argonauts?

It's all relative. You will never see the Champions League winner be called "world champion" like they do in most sports here. You think the great athletes don't exist somewhere else becaue there is noone to be compared against.

Because of what they do on the pitch, I think that Rugby players are more athletic than football players.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
It's not over yet

I feel like the U.S. just took a big step backwards. In 2002 there was a lot more hype even a few months after the World Cup. Now, noone will be talking about it much until the next world cup.
we certainly didn't show up firing on all cylinders, it would've been nice to move up to the next phase, but we would've played brazl in the next round.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Are MLS salaries capped? I remember reading something about how MLS was going to make an exception for Adu but that was a while ago and I havent been following it much.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:05 PM
'06 Anthracite::5AT::Nav

Is it just me or did it seem like Landon Donovan was the most over-rated US player of the World Cup.. All I heard going into the tournament was like Donovan this and Donovan that, he seemed to make little impact all three games, he couldn't even put a free kick on target in the Ghana game
Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

I think that Rugby players are more athletic than football players.

< - played rugby in college for one year. second row

crazy endurance needed, and your body takes a beating that is mostly unheard of in any other sport(why I only lasted one year)
Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
It's not over yet

It's all relative. You will never see the Champions League winner be called "world champion" like they do in most sports here. You think the great athletes don't exist somewhere else becaue there is noone to be compared against.

Because of what they do on the pitch, I think that Rugby players are more athletic than football players.
hell, if you want to talk athletic, look at gymnasts, they have balance, uppper and lower body strength, flexibility and endurance. Pound for pound a gymnast are probably the most athletic of all athletes.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

:
That's your opinion but please don't say that in a sports bar unless you are ready for an arguement.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Always Dirty
No, we're good sports. We'll wait for the Canadian team to be eliminated out of respect for our frosty brethren.

How many times can FastAcura own Black CL-S-4 Life
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
It's not over yet

Originally Posted by navyterp
Is it just me or did it seem like Landon Donovan was the most over-rated US player of the World Cup.. All I heard going into the tournament was like Donovan this and Donovan that, he seemed to make little impact all three games, he couldn't even put a free kick on target in the Ghana game
yep, i don't think he showed up to play, never really picked up his game.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by navyterp

Yep, thats been mentioned numerous times
Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 PM
One on the right for me

Old 06-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Banned

That's your opinion but please don't say that in a sports bar unless you are ready for an arguement.

Rugby players usually don't argue; they bite your ear off, scrum over the top of you, then take your lady home to do weird things to her.

seriously

elephant walk anyone
Old 06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Ol Blue Eyes
Rugby players usually don't argue; they bite your ear off, scrum over the top of you, then take your lady home to do weird things to her.

seriously

elephant walk anyone
have you heard of "soggy biscut"

when i was playing soccer in scotland a few years ago a bunch of the rugby guys kept on talking about how soccer doesnt have the same 'rite of passage' (if any) as rugby. im curious of thats made it over here in the US
Old 06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by dom

How many times can FastAcura own Black CL-S-4 Life
Owned in your opinion mark. I still stand by my statement earlier that our best athletes don't play soccer. Argue about if you want to but it's fact!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subinf
have you heard of "soggy biscut"

when i was playing soccer in scotland a few years ago a bunch of the rugby guys kept on talking about how soccer doesnt have the same 'rite of passage' (if any) as rugby. im curious of thats made it over here in the US

thankfully this was not our rite of passage

but it might be done at other schools
Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Not Asian

Owned in your opinion mark. I still stand by my statement earlier that our best athletes don't play soccer. Argue about if you want to but it's fact!
How is that a fact?

Quick Reply: 2006 World Cup; Germany