Innovative Mounts Groupbuy: 2nd Gen Acura CL/TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Thanks for clearing that up. Well, I guess Josh was telling us the wrong way this whole time
Umm, I made ONE post that one of the mounts was taller and I wrote If I Remember Correctly it's the front one. When Mike asked me about he said that Tim told him it was the rear one so I said go by what Tim said.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by yunginTL
if im givin this to my mech, do i need to tell him to get longer bolts or anything?
Do you have all 3 mounts? If so, I recommend 1/4 longer bolts for the 3 that bolt the side mount to the chassis. And the one bolt for the rear that bolts to the rear mount bracket.

Ruf
Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Umm, I made ONE post that one of the mounts was taller and I wrote If I Remember Correctly it's the front one. When Mike asked me about he said that Tim told him it was the rear one so I said go by what Tim said.
As thee saying goes, "if you said it once, you said it a thousand times"

Ruf
Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
I want to note too that it's important that everyone that ordered the mount kits call Tim from Innovative. Some of the side mounts are off since they came from different batches and he can get you out a new side mount. It sounds like Mike and Ruf may have the wrong side mount. The actual mount is slightly off causing the issue with the alignment of the third hole. Please call Tim to find out if you have the wrong side mount and he will replace it for you. They already have some of the new side mounts at the powdercoater.

714-524-5246
Now does this include those with 6speeds, and how long will Tim wait for that information? I most likely won't be able to install mine til May or so.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
wut.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front

side

rear

Got them in professionally, no problems. Just used longer bolts on the side, and bam, it works.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by IcyAccord
Got them in professionally, no problems. Just used longer bolts on the side, and bam, it works.
Ouch!

Glad to hear it. In hindsight, worth the money spent.

Ruf
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed mine today at a shop. A lot of cabin vibration but I'm not complaining. I'm actually happy. It 'feels' better. HUGE improvements on everything. Shifts feel amazing and the whole car just performs better. Thanks Josh!
front

side

rear

did you get these installed on the 31st or today?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 AM
wut.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
31st. I just didn't post pictures till now.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

great pics!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:57 AM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RUF87
Do you have all 3 mounts? If so, I recommend 1/4 longer bolts for the 3 that bolt the side mount to the chassis. And the one bolt for the rear that bolts to the rear mount bracket.

Ruf
How do you know what size bolts? because doesn't it just use the bolts that are being used on the stock engine mount?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
My side doesn't fit. I'll be calling innovative on Monday.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by yunginTL
How do you know what size bolts? because doesn't it just use the bolts that are being used on the stock engine mount?
no because the innovative mount is thicker thus requiring the 1/4" longer bolt. you will need 3 new bolts, 10mm 1.25p and 30mm long.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I received one of the bad side mounts, so I'll be contacting Innovative as well.

I installed the rear mount myself. It took me about 7 hours. The problem areas were: (1)stupid fuse box bracket with one clip & one bolt. I had to destroy the clip & bent the bracket in the process. Then I didn't have a 10mm box-end open-end wrench so had to borrow one from the neighbor. (2) oem thru-bolt: after about 20 minutes trying to get an angle on this mother, finally torqued it loose with a cheater bar & busted my finger. (3) removing oem mount from engine compartment (4) aligning engine with new innovative mount. (5) stripped bolt head due to crappy angles with socket

There's some extra vibration in the dash -expected- dont care. I only have the rear installed so I'm not getting the full effect yet. The handling is sharper tho -nice.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Lead Footed

Okay, getting serious here.

I needed someone else to help look at the problem from different angles. Especially someone I trust, and can get behind the wheel and do as they're instructed . . . that leaves my wife out.

Anyway, I got with my little brother and we played around with it and that's when we noticed . . . the engine it lifting up from the front at least 1 1/2" to 2". I was like

We were basically powerbraking to about 2200 RPM and the front of the engine was coming way up. Like it still had the OEM mounts in it. I was very surprised to see the front mount giving some much. It was compressing the heck out if the top part of the front mount.

I then looked at the way the engine was moving up, and saw that part of the energy from that movement was being transferred back to the rear mount. I also know the excessive vibration and sound comes during initial acceleration (load/torque) and WOT. Okay, so what does this mean? I don't know for certain, but here is the theory we came up with.

When under load, the front of the engine lifts up. This energy is then transferred back to the rear mount, compressing it, essentially making the rear mount transfer more energy, in the form of engine harmonics (sound and vibrations). Since the rear and front mounts are both being compressed, making it harder, or say, reducing the effectiveness of the bushing to it's full job. In addition, the rear mount sits on a cross frame that is right below the firewall and dashboard. Basically, this effect is creating increased vibrations and sound through both front and rear mounts, but mostly to the rear. That's why as the load/torque is reduced and the stress on the mounts is reduced, so then is the sound and vibrations.

This makes further sense when you look at the condition of my mounts. The front was the worst, totally ripped apart. Next was the side, which was also badly damaged. Last was the rear, which was leaking oil, but not torn or anything like that.

Well, how do we test this theory? I will talk to Excelerate and Innovative to review it, and then propose some testing. The initial thought is that we need an even harder mount up front to reduce how much the engine lifts up, thereby reducing the stress on the rear mount. While the front will add some initial vibration at idle, I don't know if it will be that much worse. And I don't have any problems with how it idles now . . . in neutral or gear.

I also would like to test this with an OEM mount in the rear. I don't believe the rear would have been ruined if the front was up to the job. This set up would also be to the liking of those that really want to retain as much of a OEM feel as possible.

As for the side mount, I would like to run the Innovative mount with either approach, but worst case I will use one with the DIY polyurethane approach.

Thoughts? I know it sounds weird, but when you see how much the engine still jumps up, you'll be as surprised as I was.

It's obvious that these mounts were not designed to take a lot of power and type of driving many of us do.

Ruf
Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

guys, the group buy has run its course. i'm going to close this so we can concentrate on getting the side mount and possibly other issues resolved. please post in the cl forum thread. pm me if you'd like this thread reopened.