Innovative Mounts Groupbuy: 2nd Gen Acura CL/TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
Did you still get the side one in or did you have to mess with it a bit to get it in?
no i cannot get the side installed due to the alignment issue. i can get the 2 bottom bolts in but not the upper one. and i tried installing the upper but then the lower brackets will not align.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by distortedolskool
no i cannot get the side installed due to the alignment issue. i can get the 2 bottom bolts in but not the upper one. and i tried installing the upper but then the lower brackets will not align.
That is exactly the problem, than once you get the bolt in, you will have to raise your engine a bit to get the bolt to go through. If you thread the bolt through before you start the bolts on the motor mount brancket, the bracket will not align properly
Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CleanCL
isn't it possible it was damaged and sagging? those mounts are VERY weak, i can move the place where the bolt goes with my hand on a brand new one, this would obviously cause less support than the innovative one
My side mount is brand new OEM. only has about 2 k miles on it. Even when i replaced the side mount (old side mount wasnt torn, just replaced when i did the front one) i did not have to raise the engine at all to install. YOu dont have to support the engine or anything with the side mount. That is the mount with the least amount of weight on it. Did you not read my entire post. The reason you have to raise the engine up for the bolt hole to line up is because the bolt hole on the new mount is significantly smaller than the oem bolt hole. The new mount is the same height tho as the old mount as far as i can tell by comparing the too. The problem is in the hole where the main bolt goes through! Not to mention the side mount causes a whining/humming sound on right side on acceleration. Iput my factory mount back in and its quite and my front plenum doesnt touch the liner. The fact is the side mount needs to be redesigned. Plain and simple
Old 02-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Pro

the 3 new bolts for the side are 10mm 1.25p and 30mm long.

i have the rear installed and then did the side. my side mount went in fine and i didn't have to raise the motor any with the new rear and oem front mount installed.
How hard was your rear mount to do compared to taking out the OEM? Did it take you as long to put the new one in as taking it out?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
How hard was your rear mount to do compared to taking out the OEM? Did it take you as long to put the new one in as taking it out?
not bad at all, just the usual tight working space. i just finished installing the front so now all 3 are in. the front was easy (thanks for the write up!) my only concern is this side one and it alignment but i still got it in. i plan on driving the car tomorrow once i get the battery charged. i'm also curious about this humming you speak of.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Pro

not bad at all, just the usual tight working space. i just finished installing the front so now all 3 are in. the front was easy (thanks for the write up!) my only concern is this side one and it alignment but i still got it in. i plan on driving the car tomorrow once i get the battery charged. i'm also curious about this humming you speak of.
youll hear it most likely soon as you start your car. Right side, on acceleration
Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SHEEEEEEEET, the rear mount kicked my

Counting the time spent just trying to get the rear mount to slip out and then to start the new bolt in the new MM, I spent almost 6hrs. Not counting the wasted time on those 2 problem items, it would have taken me about an hour to an hour and 30 mins.

And to top it off, I think I bent a power steering line some where. :shakehead The noise was something like a whirring/humming sound coming from the powersteering pump, so at first I though it may have been the side mount problem mentioned. But I fear it may not be. I'll post later on what I find out.

I don't know why the rear was so hard. I tried a number of angles, but could not get the mount to turn sideways enough to get the bolt to come out of the mount bracket. I ended up undoing the side and front mounts and grinding the rear mount bolt flush, and then jack the engine up until I could get it to slip out.

Once I finally got it out, the only problem after that was getting the new rear bolt to thread. The problem was that I couldn't move the engine around enough for a perfect positioning. Again I resorted to trying a longer bolt, and BINGO, worked like a charm. If I had some one to help at this point, one could have moved the engine in to place which the other started the bolt. But I couldn't get the motor to align good enough to do it with the bolt supplied.

Ruf
Old 02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Lead Footed

the 3 new bolts for the side are 10mm 1.25p and 30mm long.

i have the rear installed and then did the side. my side mount went in fine and i didn't have to raise the motor any with the new rear and oem front mount installed.

Just a question here. I used a 10mm x 1.25 x20mm bolt. If I understand the specs, it would be :

10mm = thickness of the bolt, measured from the outsides threads.
1.25 = the length of the bolt, measuring te length of the thread section only.
20mm = the width of the bolt head at its widest part.

Not sure where to get the answer, I'm sure we could search the web for site, but I've got to figure what I screwed up on my install.

Ruf
Old 02-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

ruf-
1.25 is the pitch which is the spacing between the threads
20mm is the length of the thread section
i purchased 30mm because next to the stock bolt it appeared about 1/4" longer

silva-
i just started the car and ran it down the street. no humming or squeal upon idle or during my quick little pull down the street. i don't want to comment any on vibrations because i haven't driven the car more than 2 blocks, but yes i do notice it. (i don't have any tail lights, bumpers or side skirts.)
Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Lead Footed

ruf-
1.25 is the pitch which is the spacing between the threads
20mm is the length of the thread section
i purchased 30mm because next to the stock bolt it appeared about 1/4" longer
If figured someone had the inside track on this. Thanks

Ruf
Old 02-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Lead Footed

Well . . . . . aaaayyyyiiiieeee

The news on bending or pinching a power steering line came back negative. I traced every line and had to partially pull the grill and bumper to make sure nothing going to the radiator was messed up. That's the good news.

Next I checked to see if the side mount was a factor. Well, I disconneted it and . . . nope, no difference.

That led me to think the power steering unit itsef was messed up. I just couldn't think how. So to make sure I pulled the belt and the noise completely stopped . . oh oh. As I looked at the pulley for a while . . . it hit me. After getting the front and rear mounts in place - bolts were still loose on both so I could move the egine around to align the side mount. It was then I remembered having a bit of a problem getting the holes to align. It was close, but not close enough to get the bolts started . . . I needed an extra set of hands, but since none were available, I used a large screwdriver to apply a little force between the bracket and the . . . . pulley. It was only off a tiny bit, but thought - could I have possibly bent the pulley, thereby bending the impeller shaft. With the belt still loose, I started the engine and as I watched it spin . . . my heart sank. DAMN . . . it had the slightest wobble.

It figures it would be the most expensive part.

Well, there go my struts for a while . . .

Lesson learned . . . . you can pay 'em now or later.

Anyway, that goes to show that an old hot rodder needs to learn, you can treat parts like you did on your old 60's muscle car. Steel will take a bit of force, but not a small aluminum shaft.

Ruf
Old 02-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Pro

silva-
i just started the car and ran it down the street. no humming or squeal upon idle or during my quick little pull down the street. i don't want to comment any on vibrations because i haven't driven the car more than 2 blocks, but yes i do notice it. (i don't have any tail lights, bumpers or side skirts.)[/QUOTE]

Its not going to squeal, its a humming type sound on acceleration. You may notice it later you may not. It may be certain to some car. Its almost like its engine humm and its someone resonating through the inn side mount and transfered to the cabin. Its hard to expain. I just know i noticed it when i put the side mount in, and it went away when i put my stock mount back in.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are these mounts still up for sale...and how much shipped to 22030..thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
330 just send payment to his e-mail listed on Page 1 but make sure to tell what kind of vehicle (year, make, model, trans type) they are for in the payment.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
330 just send payment to his e-mail listed on Page 1 but make sure to tell what kind of vehicle (year, make, model, trans type) they are for in the payment.
If you want the side mount, my is that you wait to see if there is in fact a design problem with the positioning of the mounting holes.

Ruf
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a shot of the difference in the front and rear; you can barely tell but there is a difference

I don't know about you guys but I only have one of those.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Pro

probably because you have the 6 speed, it uses a different rear mount. If you have an auto, than they sent you the wrong rear mount
Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
If you want the side mount, my is that you wait to see if there is in fact a design problem with the positioning of the mounting holes.

Ruf
but multiple people said they installed it and have no problems?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
330 is the price for all 3 mounts or just the side mount...and i have a 6 speed...i did read about the problems here and there but just wanted to see if they were still available for purchase...in need of some to pass inspection...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CleanCL
but multiple people said they installed it and have no problems?
yea i believe you can install it with no problems. just start all three bolts and then crank 'em down tight, forcing the mount tight with the body. what no one else has confirmed is just setting the innovative mount in there that all 3 holes line up, the oem sure does. this mount should not require you to "force" it to fit. i think that this was the toughest mount to design because you have mounting locations that are different heights. just my (edit: as for the "humming" i have not driven the car enough to hear it)

some one has to be doing a side install soon. please check the alignment of the holes and report back. THANKS!

Last edited by distortedolskool; 02-04-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i believe you can install it with no problems. just start all three bolts and then crank 'em down tight, forcing the mount tight with the body. what no one else has confirmed is just setting the innovative mount in there that all 3 holes line up, the oem sure does. this mount should not require you to "force" it to fit. i think that this was the toughest mount to design because you have mounting locations that are different heights. just my (edit: as for the "humming" i have not driven the car enough to hear it)

some one has to be doing a side install soon. please check the alignment of the holes and report back. THANKS!
So in your opinon do you need the longer bolts to install the side mount?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
So in your opinon do you need the longer bolts to install the side mount?
yes the innovative mount is probably around 3 times thicker than the stock. so the new bolts compensate for this added thickness.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I have contacted Innovative and they have advised me there that there was an issue with some of the side mounts (basically in terms of bolting them in). Not all of the side mounts have this issue. If you would like to get a replacement contact Tim at Innovative directly at 714-524-5246. Call him and let him know about your situation and take a picture of your side mount. He may want some measurements too on the bolt holes.

In terms of the vibration, these are polyurethane mounts. There will be some more vibration in the cabin. That's normal. If you have a lot of vibration that's another thing and maybe something is off or the install was off. Innovative would like to have someone stop by their shop so they can look at a car to see what the issue may be. Mike since you are saying you have lots of vibration why not stop by and let them check it out?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:53 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
I have contacted Innovative and they have advised me there that there was an issue with some of the side mounts (basically in terms of bolting them in). Not all of the side mounts have this issue. If you would like to get a replacement contact Tim at Innovative directly at 714-524-5246. Call him and let him know about your situation and take a picture of your side mount. He may want some measurements too on the bolt holes.

do you happen to have the measurements of the ones that are off? or does anyone else? it seems quite counterintuitive to have to remove your OEM side mount, try to install the innovative one and have it not fit, and then have to re-install your OEM again.

if people can measure good and bad ones, maybe we can sort this out?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:01 PM
No He Can't

That's a good idea
Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
What are the chances since I'm in the last batch the side fitting right?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
probably because you have the 6 speed, it uses a different rear mount. If you have an auto, than they sent you the wrong rear mount
ah, thats what I figured. I guess no one posted up pictures of the 6MT mounts so thats why the question poped up. Well I took some pictures just to confirm that these are right. I think I might tackle the front and rear sometime this week depending on the weather, its been raining....

So to confirm, the taller is the rear which is going to be the solid mount without the bolt holding the rubber(non powercoated lower bracket).

Last edited by SPoolinspOON; 02-04-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 PM
No He Can't

The rear mount is on the left
Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

figured so...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rp_guy
do you happen to have the measurements of the ones that are off? or does anyone else? it seems quite counterintuitive to have to remove your OEM side mount, try to install the innovative one and have it not fit, and then have to re-install your OEM again.

if people can measure good and bad ones, maybe we can sort this out?
He's not asking you to remove your OE side mount. I was just saying he might ask you for measurements on your Innovative side mount from hole to hole. Contact Innovative directly as they will ask you for the information you need.

Fuzzy I don't know which are wrong and which aren't as there are some who installed it just fine and others who didn't. He said some of the mounts they have there are fine and some aren't so the best bet is to contact them once you get your mounts.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Kilos of yayo in

An issue came up a few messages ago about the bigger mount going in the rear is that indeed the case?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
No He Can't

Bigger mount goes in the front AFAIK. Excelerate has clarified many times.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I want to note too that it's important that everyone that ordered the mount kits call Tim from Innovative. Some of the side mounts are off since they came from different batches and he can get you out a new side mount. It sounds like Mike and Ruf may have the wrong side mount. The actual mount is slightly off causing the issue with the alignment of the third hole. Please call Tim to find out if you have the wrong side mount and he will replace it for you. They already have some of the new side mounts at the powdercoater.

714-524-5246
Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
trill recognize trill

if im givin this to my mech, do i need to tell him to get longer bolts or anything?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Bigger mount goes in the front AFAIK. Excelerate has clarified many times.
Didn't you say on my post that the rear was on the left??????taller mount?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
No He Can't

Well, for a while Excelerate was saying that the taller mount for the autos goes in the front. The only reason I know that is the rear mount is b/c I have the exact same mount here. I started ordered the CL-S6 mounts but decided to go a different route with my swap and didn't need them any more. The only one I picked up is the rear mount and it looks like the one in the left of your picture. Maybe Josh can clarify, but he kept saying that the front mount for the auto was the taller one.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
tim at innovative told me verbally that the rear is the taller mount. i have an auto trans
Old 02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

i know it's not the best shot in the world, but here is a picture of all 3 auto mounts, the one on the right is the rear mount, and it's fairly clear that it's taller.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

and if you 6 speeders can't figure out which one is front and which one is rear, then you shouldn't even try to install these. they are completely different mount points.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM
No He Can't

Thanks for clearing that up. Well, I guess Josh was telling us the wrong way this whole time

Quick Reply: Innovative Mounts Groupbuy: 2nd Gen Acura CL/TL