Innovative Mounts Groupbuy: 2nd Gen Acura CL/TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if the humming has something to do with the plugging up of the vaccum lines.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rp_guy
i guess it's like the NRG engine dampers.. front gives a little bit of increase, not much vibration, front and back gives a lot.
I wouldnt say its a lot just noticable. Sometimes its not there at all, just depends on the idle. Its most noticable when the fan kicks on or just when the idle drops in general. You can always just do front and side if it truely bothers you. If you listen to music you probably wont even notice it. Theres more vibrations caused from the sound system than the mounts.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
I wonder if the humming has something to do with the plugging up of the vaccum lines.
That would cause more of a hiss like air escaping. Just cap the vacuum line for that thats what i did. Go to an auto parts store and get a little pack of vacuum caps there cheap
Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
That would cause more of a hiss like air escaping. Just cap the vacuum line for that thats what i did. Go to an auto parts store and get a little pack of vacuum caps there cheap
Yeah, they are already capped, but I was pondering a possible explanation for the humming/change in sound.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:01 AM
Pro

Yeah, they are already capped, but I was pondering a possible explanation for the humming/change in sound.
Yeah that is strange. The noise might of already been there and the mounts just make it more noticable maybe. I guess well wait to see what mike has to say after he goes back from the shop.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
you do not have to jack up the motor for the removal but it will help take the pressure off the main through bolt when you slip it out. The jack may be required to push the engine back up slightly on the re installation of the bolt but the engine didn't seem to drop much when i removed it.
I laid across the motor and reached down behind the motor. the bottom plate 4 bolts have to be unbolted from the top.
I didn't use any swivel attachments even though i have all that fun stuff. i did unbolt the small black fuse box and drop it down out of the way to make more arm room. basically it is really tight and you only get a few ratchet clicks plus you have a bad angle for apply lots of leverage. i bought an air ratchet now to i'm sure it would of been a whole lot easier.
it took me around 4 hours to get the entire assembly out. keep in mind it weighs 9 pounds and the other tricky part was figuring out how to spin it and pull it out the left side.
Did you pull it out through the top or the bottom?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
Did you pull it out through the top or the bottom?
top back left ended up being the route. i tried spinning it this way, that way and out the bottom. just bend that heater hose bracket up against the firewall and it will come right out the top.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
My car vibrates as it is now. The AC makes it do this. I have it on all the time. I turn the AC off & the vibrations go away. So I don't know what the new mounts will do to that. Lesson it or increase it?
My whole car shakes it's that bad.
As of now I know my side mount is torn. I guess the front or rear mounts could be bad as well. They look ok but that doesn't mean much.
I have tracked my car several times & do hard launches a lot. Plus it was used so who knows how it was treated before me.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TitaniumCLS6MT
yikes - anyone know what size bolts/qty required for more secure mount?
I took one of mine with me to the hardware store . . . to make sure I got the correct thread type, and then just got one 1/4" longer.

And I agree that it new bolts should be included . . .

Ruf
Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Lead Footed

I have that same humming too. I took a look and it doesn't seem like anything is touching anything it shouldn't. As for the vibrations on my end, nothing too bad.

I think it sounds pretty badass. Let me know what happens with this incase it is an issue of some sort.
Humm . . I've not noticed any humming . . . without looking at a car that was doing it, I could only guess . . I'll noodle on it and see if something comes to mind.

As for virbrations go, it's a lot less than the vibrations I get from the Comptech springs. It's mostly noticeable when the car is in drive, but note that I still need to install the rear mount.

Ruf
Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
A few comments:

1. The mounts do take a little while to break in so if you have some vibrations they may subside.
2. The front and rear mounts are different (obvious for the M/T guys) on the A/T. They look similar but they are not the same. The front mount is taller IIRC; compare it to your OEM mount and make sure you put the front mount in the right location and likewise for the rear. If you didn't this could cause unnecessary vibration.
3. Hardware is needed for the side mount I can see. What exactly is needed? Longer bolts? Does anyone have hte specs? Quantity? Just for the side mount? Anyone who wants to can call Innovative directly and they will send them free hardware for the side mount, but we need to know what you guys need.
4. Mike, Innovative said to stop by their shop and they will check out your mounts to make sure everything looks ok.
5. All the rest of the orders are shipping today so it's just the last 3 M/T orders: Bonlie, Fuzzy, and Rehmat.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RUF87
Humm . . I've not noticed any humming . . . without looking at a car that was doing it, I could only guess . . I'll noodle on it and see if something comes to mind.

As for virbrations go, it's a lot less than the vibrations I get from the Comptech springs. It's mostly noticeable when the car is in drive, but note that I still need to install the rear mount.

Ruf
You will get more vibrations when you install the rear mount. I have found the rear mount causes the most vibrations. When i had the side and front on they were almost non existant. With the rear on you can feel it in your seat at idle and at WOT it vibrates a little. Im deciding if i want to keep the rear mount on or take it off and put the OEM one back on. My OEM mount still looks brand new even with 61K miles on it
Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
My car vibrates as it is now. The AC makes it do this. I have it on all the time. I turn the AC off & the vibrations go away. So I don't know what the new mounts will do to that. Lesson it or increase it?
My whole car shakes it's that bad.
As of now I know my side mount is torn. I guess the front or rear mounts could be bad as well. They look ok but that doesn't mean much.
I have tracked my car several times & do hard launches a lot. Plus it was used so who knows how it was treated before me.
Most likely this is being caused from a broken motor mount. I dont remember having any vibrations when i had all my stock mounts in. The front and side were new but the rear was stock. When i took the rear out, it still looked brand new though so its most likely your front and side mount that need replacing.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Lead Footed

[QUOTE=Excelerate]A few comments:

1. The mounts do take a little while to break in so if you have some vibrations they may subside.
2. The front and rear mounts are different (obvious for the M/T guys) on the A/T. They look similar but they are not the same. The front mount is taller IIRC; compare it to your OEM mount and make sure you put the front mount in the right location and likewise for the rear. If you didn't this could cause unnecessary vibration.
3. Hardware is needed for the side mount I can see. What exactly is needed? Longer bolts? Does anyone have hte specs? Quantity? Just for the side mount? Anyone who wants to can call Innovative directly and they will send them free hardware for the side mount, but we need to know what you guys need.
QUOTE]

Hey Josh, here are my on items 1-3.

1) I thought and commented the same some posts back. I do believe these mounts will soften up . . . so I think I need a few runs to help it out.

2) Whoops, I must have had a senior moment, I had it in my mind that the taller mount went in the rear. Well, I'll fix that this weekend when I do the rear. The swap should be easy since the Innovative mount offers better clearence.

Also, don't forget that the steel nipple (pin) is used to align the front and rear mounts.

3) I don't have the technical specs on the bolts, I just know it's a metric thread and the new bolts are 1/4" longer. I'll take some measurements this weekend and get your or Innovative the specs.

Ruf
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Tim specifically told me that the rear mount was taller.
are you absolutely sure about that Josh?

Originally Posted by Excelerate
A few comments:

4. Mike, Innovative said to stop by their shop and they will check out your mounts to make sure everything looks ok.
5. All the rest of the orders are shipping today so it's just the last 3 M/T orders: Bonlie, Fuzzy, and Rehmat.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike
I thought he said the front but I'm just going off what I thought he had said, but if he specifically told you the rear was taller then likely it's the rear. The way to tell is to look at your factory mounts. One of the OE mounts will be taller. Find out which one is taller and you will know where the Innovative one is supposed to go. I can't comment for sure since I don't have an OE mount in my hand and I haven't installed one of these sets yet.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmm I hope y'all get it figured out soon, my mounts come in tomorrow
Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Uses turn signals in my

The vibrations in my car have definitely become less and less as I have driven the car more.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM
wut.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed mine today at a shop. A lot of cabin vibration but I'm not complaining. I'm actually happy. It 'feels' better. HUGE improvements on everything. Shifts feel amazing and the whole car just performs better. Thanks Josh!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Pro

I beleive your right too. Check out too they said the taller one goes in the rear.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it just me or is something different on the 6MT. The front and rear mount dont look the same. I have one where the pic goes into and the other, guessing its the rear, is solid with no pin and is not 2 piece.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
does this mean everyone is going to have to call in, or will they be sending out new bolts on goodwill? i haven't received mine yet so obviously i haven't done the install, but if all these guys are saying that there isn't much thread holding the side in.. i would assume the problem applies to everyone
Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON
Is it just me or is something different on the 6MT. The front and rear mount dont look the same. I have one where the pic goes into and the other, guessing its the rear, is solid with no pin and is not 2 piece.
this is the oem rear 6 speed mount. the innovative mount is the same style but made with steel instead of cheap cast. the 6 speed front and side are identical to the autos.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

oh so mine haven't shipped yet. Damn. I guess I'll have to wait till next weekend then
I was hoping to get them on sat if they came.
Josh can you get me a tracking # if possiable?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

I just got the last drop shipment tracking #'s last night. This is the last 3 orders, at least from the initial order. If anyone needs a set let me know as I will be keeping these in stock.

FEDEX Tracking #'s

Fuzzy 632885961009162
Rehmat 632885961009155
Bonlie 632885961009179

And CleanCL's mounts were free b/c of the delay and he provided us the side mount.

CleanCL 632885961009124

If you want hardware you must contact Innovative. I still need to know the size of the bolts needed and specs on it so that they can provide it.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks for all the hard work josh, i'll get back to you on that info, i'm looking into some other stuff.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by rp_guy
does this mean everyone is going to have to call in, or will they be sending out new bolts on goodwill? i haven't received mine yet so obviously i haven't done the install, but if all these guys are saying that there isn't much thread holding the side in.. i would assume the problem applies to everyone
No problem here installing using the stock bolts.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CleanCL
thanks for all the hard work josh, i'll get back to you on that info, i'm looking into some other stuff.
You're welcome Jeremy. And thanks to all the AZ members that helped make this a reality and for those who purchased the mounts from us.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:32 PM
No He Can't

Got mine in today :toocool.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
No He Can't

Here's a shot of the difference in the front and rear; you can barely tell but there is a difference

Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Pro

hold off on that recommendation. just got the car back and there's a loud humming when i accelerate and vibrations in the cabin.
going back tomorrow to see if they can fix it.
A little update for people.

The side mount in my opinion needs to be redone. The cause of the humming sound your hearing is from the side mount. I put my stock side mount back in and the sound is completly gone. I noticed the sound after i put the side mount in and just thought it was something that was always there. Also, i put on my P2R plenums today and noticed that the front right (passenger side) was rubbing the liner very lightly. The reason is because the side mount lifts the engine about a guarter to half inch. Basically, when you put the side mount on, to get the bolt to line up and go through, you have to lift the engine up to line it up. The height is correct on the mount, but notice the bolt hole is significantly smaller than the bolt hole on the OEM mount. Because of this you have to raise the engine to line up the bolt for it to go through. This coupled with the fact that the rear bolt hole doesnt line up correctly and the mount causing a humming sound on acceleration i think the mount needs to be remade. My factory side mount is back in, and there is no more humming, and as far as i can tell the Plenum no longer touches the hood liner. Also, i think the Innovative side mount needs a little bracket built on the side so yuo can pop the clip on there that holds the AC line in place. That is as least to me a pretty important thing to include.

So Josh, could you please inform Innovative of these problems and see what they can do to remedy it? I think people should be able to ship there old side mount back in, and get the remade one in return. But see what you can do.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Interesting. Since the plenum rubs on the liner on my car already do to the spacers.

This is going to be fun.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

in reply to the above issue with the side mount lifting the motor... are you sure it's the mounts fault. isn't it possible your side mount was torn and sagging? notice people, you SHOULD NOT be able to swap these mounts without support to the motor. these are MOTOR MOUNTS, they hold a 300+lb motor. of course if your mount is torn, there is more room to pull the mount out without moving the motor, but then you will need to lift the motor up into the proper place.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

i doubt that silver would be putting a torn MM back into his vehicle.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

isn't it possible it was damaged and sagging? those mounts are VERY weak, i can move the place where the bolt goes with my hand on a brand new one, this would obviously cause less support than the innovative one
Old 02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

possibly and silver will have to let us know how many miles he has on it.

a couple of others have installed the side mount w/o problems though right?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

can people start posting their experiences? i'll create a new thead in the cl section. please keep comments to a minimum so we can concentrate on the issue at hand. it should look something like this. please add info i may omitted.

1. mike - 3 mounts installed. STRONG vibrations through out the cabin while stopped. strong vibrations at low rpms. large increase in engine note at all rpms.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...88#post2736888
Old 02-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

the 3 new bolts for the side are 10mm 1.25p and 30mm long.

i have the rear installed and then did the side. my side mount went in fine and i didn't have to raise the motor any with the new rear and oem front mount installed.

Last edited by distortedolskool; 02-02-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

i retract my last statement. upon further inspection i have an issue with my side mount. i posted pictures and an explanation in the other thread.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you still get the side one in or did you have to mess with it a bit to get it in?

Quick Reply: Innovative Mounts Groupbuy: 2nd Gen Acura CL/TL