Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota & Washington State

All Oregon Chat #2 Chat about Rain, Cars, and Rained on Cars!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
Anyone have Netflix and use the streaming option to watch movies??
^ awesome good to know.. wish blockbuster would stream on the ps3
Had Netflix but the Samsung BluRay was linked with WiFi dongle at 56K so the quality was awful. For the small amount of movie watching we do, we just order what we want On-Demand in HD and never leave the couch.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Question for you guys..
Trying to buy a new TV (55" LED) and currently Best Buy have this killer deal on this Insignia. $999.99 for 55" LED 1080p 120hz and they'll also include blu ray player.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=9896008

Should I buy this or shell out another $500~700 for Samsung or Sony with similar spec?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I'd opt for a higher refresh rate More like those 240hz one's

I also thing that Samsung offers some of the best color on the market, but that is a good deal for a 55" with bluray player.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by minkl81
Question for you guys..
Trying to buy a new TV (55" LED) and currently Best Buy have this killer deal on this Insignia. $999.99 for 55" LED 1080p 120hz and they'll also include blu ray player.

Should I buy this or shell out another $500~700 for Samsung or Sony with similar spec?
i have the insignia plasma from best buy.. alittle diff, but had it for 3 years now w/no issues.. i can say for the cheap scale they are decent.. i always get the warranty though just incase.. BTW there warranty policy blows.. if something happens to it and they replace your tv then your warranty isnt carried over and you will have to buy a new one.. I know first hand when our samsung LCD tv lost a few pixles and we had to get a new one.. but we did end up with the pioneer kuro which IMO is by far the best tv ive ever had.. too bad they dont make them anymore =/

LED TVs are nice.. they are bright and last longer plus alittle more energy sufficient.. but if you are wanting something to AWW people and not have as a bedroom tv then i would say step it up to something that you know will give you not just clean bright pictures but crisp dark ones too and will have a great refresh rate..

oh another thing is your tv going into a dark room? or a room that will have more light? cause that can also effect how you see your tv.. I guess there is alot of factors.. you should just check CNET for buyers reviews and professional reviews to see peoples opinions
Old 01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Question for you guys..

i have the insignia plasma from best buy.. alittle diff, but had it for 3 years now w/no issues.. i can say for the cheap scale they are decent.. i always get the warranty though just incase.. BTW there warranty policy blows.. if something happens to it and they replace your tv then your warranty isnt carried over and you will have to buy a new one.. I know first hand when our samsung LCD tv lost a few pixles and we had to get a new one.. but we did end up with the pioneer kuro which IMO is by far the best tv ive ever had.. too bad they dont make them anymore =/

LED TVs are nice.. they are bright and last longer plus alittle more energy sufficient.. but if you are wanting something to AWW people and not have as a bedroom tv then i would say step it up to something that you know will give you not just clean bright pictures but crisp dark ones too and will have a great refresh rate..

oh another thing is your tv going into a dark room? or a room that will have more light? cause that can also effect how you see your tv.. I guess there is alot of factors.. you should just check CNET for buyers reviews and professional reviews to see peoples opinions
Sony has the best picture IMHO. Just bought Insignia 32" LCD from Best Buy. Pro: Great picture, easy to use. Con: Sound quality, refresh rate. The price was right as this is a workout room TV for us. Our TV in the family room is 42" Panasonic plasma (sale $650 Best Buy). I wonder if the price of a 55" HDTV will be lower after Super Bowl #45 (Monday February 7, 2011).
Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

More on TV's
minkl81, I misread your post as LCD. Some important notes about LED TV's. They are not truly real LED's, they are back lit with LED's but really LCD's. The real advances in technology, which I would wait for, will be in Organic light-emitting diodes (OLED). the picture is, as the geeks around here tell me, incredible. The contrast ratio is about 100.000:1, the response time is less than 100th of a ms, and the thing can generate over 16 million color variations from the darkest black to a white so blinding it will burn your cornea. I think the Insignia is just another "edge-lit" LED-based LCD. If you have the patience to wait another year and spend another $1,000, you could have the far superior technology in your home. Realistically, after you see the OLED, you'll regret not waiting.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
WTF?

nice thing about the OLEDs is you dont get the heat like a plasma tvs with close to the same darkness.. i know with my plasma in the bedroom it practically heats the room up.. the living room plasma doesnt generate as much heat but it still gets warm.. our next tv will be an OLED though.. saving that for when the basement is done or when we move.. which ever happens first..

also side picture on OLEDs are a notch better then LCD and regular LED (something to consider)
Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

nice thing about the OLEDs is you dont get the heat like a plasma tvs with close to the same darkness.. i know with my plasma in the bedroom it practically heats the room up.. the living room plasma doesnt generate as much heat but it still gets warm.. our next tv will be an OLED though.. saving that for when the basement is done or when we move.. which ever happens first..

also side picture on OLEDs are a notch better then LCD and regular LED (something to consider)
YES the heat. Great in the winter, shitty in the summer. I secretly hope it dies/burns out so we can get a 46". Although I will miss that awesome sound from the side speakers(They don't make them this way anymore, our TV has grilles on the side with some really great speakers. We rarely use the monitor speakers next to the TV).
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Safety Car

I currently have 50" samsung plasma which I paid only $999 about 4 years ago (Magnolia's misprint ad but they had honor the price since ad went out natiowide already) but I'm giving it to my parents. So I'll have to hunt down a new tv for the living room.

Overall, I love the plasma picture wise (better at angles too). Thing is that it gets pretty hot for sure and eats up more electricity compared to LCD and LED. Also things I like about LED is its slimmer and lighter. So I was planning to purchase a 55" samsung led (UN55C6500VF) until I saw this Insignia deal.

My thinking was to buy this Insignia for $999 and slap on a 2~3 year warranty and if it breaks down couple years down the road, get a new tv under warranty. I know for sure that Samsung's 55" led will come close to $999 price tag years later. Or who knows if 55" oled will be about $1499
Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Has anyone ever been to Outrageous Audio on Stark? I've been seeing commercials with that psychopathic guy for awhile now. My CD player is messed up (can only listen to one CD at a time! ) and I figured now would be a good time to replace/upgrade.

I always seem a little uneasy about places that seemingly have sales or clearances 365 days a year...

Last edited by Rapture; 01-27-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 AM
I Quit

tweeters for a buck!

LOL never been but LOVE the ads
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rapture
Has anyone ever been to Outrageous Audio on Stark? I've been seeing commercials with that psychopathic guy for awhile now. My CD player is messed up (can only listen to one CD at a time! ) and I figured now would be a good time to replace/upgrade.

I always seem a little uneasy about places that seemingly have sales or clearances 365 days a year...
Do they still make disc changers? I thought they went down the same path as the auto-reverse cassette decks (Bi-Mart/K-Mart only). Get yourself a Samsung Blu-Ray, our model streams Pandora as well as Netflix, and YouTube. I can't remember the last time I played a CD...wait it was a local band that gave me a free demo CD.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
WTF?

been to the place.. kinda small and a tight squeeze they carry alot of older models so thats why its so cheap, they also carry the cheaper brands.. BTW the owner (guy in the commercials) is alot taller then you would expect.. its kinda weird to see in person..

i say go to stereo king.. no body beats the king.. there is one near clackamass town center..( i think its still there)

Can your car even take after market stereo in the dash location?? i know recent models of acura make it damn near impossible unless you make a custom kit.. or take out a cubby
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
WTF?

looks like Hondata is looking for 2010/11 RDX owners in the area to test a reflash =/ wish i had one to take to them
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

looks like Hondata is looking for 2010/11 RDX owners in the area to test a reflash =/ wish i had one to take to them
Trade that Scion in and take home a new(er) car. At $20k for a new tc with the 2.5ltr, it is going to be harder and harder to get rid of that older model. I don't think you should let a stealership rape you on the trade in, but I'd hate to see you wait and loose another $1,000 in value.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Safety Car

been to the place.. kinda small and a tight squeeze they carry alot of older models so thats why its so cheap, they also carry the cheaper brands.. BTW the owner (guy in the commercials) is alot taller then you would expect.. its kinda weird to see in person..

i say go to stereo king.. no body beats the king.. there is one near clackamass town center..( i think its still there)

Can your car even take after market stereo in the dash location?? i know recent models of acura make it damn near impossible unless you make a custom kit.. or take out a cubby
Almost everyone on the 2G CL side does it. We all pretty much hate the OEM 6 disc changer in our cars. It ALWAYS gets jammed up... and I still have a couple CDs stuck in mine that I won't be able to get out without taking the whole thing out. and yeah I think you need a kit. Not sure, though.

and I was just curious since I'm moreso concerned about selection than anything else. Would like a Double DIN with a not too flashy overall appearance. Oh, and it has to sound nice, too
Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
WTF?

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Trade that Scion in and take home a new(er) car. At $20k for a new tc with the 2.5ltr, it is going to be harder and harder to get rid of that older model. I don't think you should let a stealership rape you on the trade in, but I'd hate to see you wait and loose another $1,000 in value.

ya we have been thinking on that.. worst time to sell anything right now due to the economy.. even if i priced the car below kbb i still wouldnt sell it.. weve been thinking of doing a refi and paying off the tsx and putting other money asside for our next down on the house but i think we are still holding out on a few things..
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Almost everyone on the 2G CL side does it. We all pretty much hate the OEM 6 disc changer in our cars. It ALWAYS gets jammed up... and I still have a couple CDs stuck in mine that I won't be able to get out without taking the whole thing out. and yeah I think you need a kit. Not sure, though.

and I was just curious since I'm moreso concerned about selection than anything else. Would like a Double DIN with a not too flashy overall appearance. Oh, and it has to sound nice, too
Ohh, it's for the car! Sorry, I thought you were refering to the home system. D'oh

ya we have been thinking on that.. worst time to sell anything right now due to the economy.. even if i priced the car below kbb i still wouldnt sell it.. weve been thinking of doing a refi and paying off the tsx and putting other money asside for our next down on the house but i think we are still holding out on a few things..
Good plan, we've been spending it like the end is comming!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM
WTF?

^ its funny how that happens.. biggie got the song right Mo money Mo problems
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

^ its funny how that happens.. biggie got the song right Mo money Mo problems
Unbelievable story here. This is one of those, “Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.” I think I may have posted about this in the past, but if not, I have some gripes about the amount of wasted labor at work. I have 7 bosses and I’ve actually seen the classic two people watching one guy doing all the work. However, my boss is leaving her job unexpectedly and she asked me if I was interested in her position. So…of course I applied, interviewed on Thursday morning, and was awaiting my big raise.
I just looked at my phone and noticed that her boss sent me an email at 5:37pm today which reads:

Hi Marco,

I thought I sent you a message earlier, but I do not see it in my sent box, so pardon if this is a repeat. I have contacted other interviewees with this same information.

As life would have it, we received 2 major announcements yesterday, one shortly after our morning interviews, and one in the late afternoon--both of which may have a significant impact across our teams. We were originally going to contact interviewees this evening regarding the position, however we must now wait to hear more information on these departmental changes before moving forward.

You can expect to hear from me either Monday or Tuesday. Mark has let me know that I'd have the full scoop by Monday afternoon.

Thanks and the interview went swimmingly!

Fuuuuck! I wondered how long they would let the massive growth in our department continue, apparently just long enough for me to miss the gravy boat.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
WTF?

took me a while to get my promotion.. im still hoping for a raise too.. hopefully next month i will know how much i am appreciated
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Yeah, I got a small promotion (and the accompanying raise) a few months back and because of it, I got a laughable raise. They gave me the whole "well you got a promotion, so that's kinda your annual raise right there."

Except my promotion was back in September, and I was a full-time employee all year last year, and the reason I got a promotion should be different from the reason I would have received an annual raise

I know this is what a lot of companies do, but it's still as all hell to me.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:58 PM
I Quit

So I got three promotions in 2.5 years which basically equate to three title changes. I got a 10% raise last year which would seem like a lot but with my piss salary it only bumped me up 100 bucks a month (woo hoo, look maw no hands). Anyways, now this year rolls around and get the "no bonus, no merit raises" speech coupled with "just be glad you have a job." etc...

It's becoming incredibly common for companies to treat employees like dirt and overly work them for no pay. The excuse, bad economy, employees can't go anywhere else.

B.S. I went somewhere else, becoming self employed in 10 days and counting.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by clee109
So I got three promotions in 2.5 years which basically equate to three title changes. I got a 10% raise last year which would seem like a lot but with my piss salary it only bumped me up 100 bucks a month (woo hoo, look maw no hands). Anyways, now this year rolls around and get the "no bonus, no merit raises" speech coupled with "just be glad you have a job." etc...

It's becoming incredibly common for companies to treat employees like dirt and overly work them for no pay. The excuse, bad economy, employees can't go anywhere else.

B.S. I went somewhere else, becoming self employed in 10 days and counting.
Glad to hear it! Thanks to all for the reality check. We are still in a tough time and even if the shit hits the fan at work, I'll still have A job.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

Yeah IMO a lot of companies are trying to use the poor economy as an excuse to not give reasonable pay increases. My workplace told us they had "a record year" yet they're being more stingy now than in previous years.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah IMO a lot of companies are trying to use the poor economy as an excuse to not give reasonable pay increases. My workplace told us they had "a record year" yet they're being more stingy now than in previous years.
The voices in my head said stay home a clean the guns, but I went to work on my horsey instead.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
WTF?

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
The voices in my head said stay home a clean the guns, but I went to work on my horsey instead.
haha im home for the next 2 weeks!! =) i get to clean my guns.. not that they need it or anything.. speaking of..

just put in for another silencer for the tec-22 =) cant wait for it to arrive the thing is so quiet that it sounds like a bb gun if not quieter
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My colleague's Dad's classic 1974 Datsun 260Z with OR plates UAX 769 stolen from their N. Portland home. Please keep a lookout and call the police if you spot it on the road. Sad to hear, this gentleman has been restoring and maintaining it for years.

Last edited by 9000revs; 01-31-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any of you guys in the area rocking 3rd Gen TL's interested in buying my sub-setup i had in my TL? I totally forgot that its been sitting in the garage all this time.

Its a KingPin built sealed box with a MTX 10in slim, and comes with a simple and clean vanity panel for it. Also have a MTX Amp that was more than small enough to fit under the front seat. The amp sounds like a fuel pump for the first 15 seconds once it powers on, but goes away and worked flawlessly.

No idea on price...

If anyone is interested throw me a reasonable number and I'll get some pics as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 AM
WTF?

Originally Posted by 9000revs

My colleague's Dad's classic 1974 Datsun 260Z with OR plates UAX 769 stolen from their N. Portland home. Please keep a lookout and call the police if you spot it on the road. Sad to hear, this gentleman has been restoring and maintaining it for years.
when was it stolen?? i live in Npo too so i will keep an eye out
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

bought a tv over the weekend at frys.

LG 55" LED 1080p 120hz (55LE5500) for $1099

they also had same tv in 47" (47LE5500) for only $599
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM
WTF?

^ nice deal.. how do you like it??
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
WTF?

UPdate: puppies were born yesterday.. 3 girls and 3 boys.. if you know anyone or youre interested in AKC english bulldogs let me know
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

bought a tv over the weekend at frys.

LG 55" LED 1080p 120hz (55LE5500) for $1099

they also had same tv in 47" (47LE5500) for only $599
Nice Price!

UPdate: puppies were born yesterday.. 3 girls and 3 boys.. if you know anyone or youre interested in AKC english bulldogs let me know
so are you on paternity leave for dogs?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

^ nice deal.. how do you like it??
Didn't even opened the box yet
Gonna head to Ikea for new tv stand today so maybe I'll get to test it out later today or tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
WTF?

^ pretty much haha im the Manny
Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I Quit

Didn't even opened the box yet
Gonna head to Ikea for new tv stand today so maybe I'll get to test it out later today or tomorrow.
Nice. Also nice display of will power to wait lol

^ pretty much haha im the Manny
so uh pictures?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Did you ever notice how few posts the Washington Region gets here in AZ? They are also found of the big "H" on the grille up there as well.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I Quit

But one thing those Washingtonians know how to do is put together a meet! We spend all of our time on here chatting while they are out having meets making things happen lol
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by clee109
But one thing those Washingtonians know how to do is put together a meet! We spend all of our time on here chatting while they are out having meets making things happen lol
Yes! There is a lot of declaration followed by procrastination. I am the king of, "Hey let's all...", and then I'm on the couch all weekend.

Quick Reply: All Oregon Chat #2 Chat about Rain, Cars, and Rained on Cars!