Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010 | 10:04 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

im putting on my heads, ps pump, p2r clutch, new trans fluid, poly fill mounts, k sports, few other things. gonna be one long sat. and getting my bottle filled hahaha
Old 03-15-2010 | 11:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slepybear
sellin the type-r's???
Hah, sorry Matt. I installed the Type-R in my Jeep... I needed some boom boom in the Winter
Old 03-15-2010 | 11:53 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Oh, just a quick update on whats goin on with me and my car.
-Carbon fiber hood came, is damaged, and will either be replaced or refunded.
-PIcked up JDM bumper today, looks sick
-picked up grill, looks good

Still have to do the following stuff *cough*jorge*cough*..
-Install new hood shocks
-install new spark plugs
-figure out how to wire foglights
-replace headlights and bulbs
-install new bumper and grill, possibly hood
-clean engine bay
-get new fender liner

I think we could knock this out in one productive saturday, food is on me for anyone who comes out and helps.. but i think it'll have to be done at jorge's, just for simplicities sake, and that he has all the tools etc, plus a nice working area
I think your list should be pretty easy to do. A lot of it works well together. If yur car is anything like mine - you need to remove the bumper (cover) to remove the headlights. While the bumper is off we can wire the fogs, and install the grill.

The hood removal probably is easier with the hood struts off anyways. So is the tune-up (easier without a hood). Engine bay - I've got a costco size jug of degreaser. I just spray down the engine bay with it, then spray it down with a hose. Nothing fancy needed - does an awesome job. Then the trick is to spray some armor-all on your engine while the parts are still wet. That creates a nice shine to the plastic. And if you do it while its still wet, you dont have to worry about towel/wipe marks on the spots you miss. Let the water carry the armor-all.

The fender liner is the only piece to the puzzle that doesnt really fit. Although - again, comparing to a 3G - I had to remove the tires, to remove the bumper, to remove the headlights. SO.... I guess that's where your fender liner can come into play. BTW - you have cold air intake yet? Might as well do that while we are pulling the fender liner since the CAI is inside the lining.

If needed, we can do everything at my place too. George's garage is nicer since its a lot bigger. I've got a 2 car garage, but its got a seperator wall. We've done some work in it before (We lowered Dan's car before he moved to represent in the east coast. lol)

Actually... that's how I met everyone. Dan posted online asking for a garage, and I said what the hell. The rest is history.

I wonder where Dan and Jermaine are right about now? Haven't heard much of a peep from either of them lately.
Old 03-15-2010 | 11:55 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Speaking of...

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (4 members and 0 guests)
GLowrdr, Carmodifier, RL Chi-town, Takata 18+

George probably heard me typing about Armor-all and jumped on to stop you. lol.

What's that stuff you use? I can't remember the name.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:14 AM
fu

Is this saturday good for you? and jorge?
and do you know how to wire the foglights? cuz i don't have a clue as to what i'll need. I'm thinking i'll want an HID kit for a couple reasons
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:22 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I will know a little closer to the end of the week, but so far it's not looking too good for this weekend. I would plan more on next weekend?
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:32 AM
Racer

and do you know how to wire the foglights? cuz i don't have a clue as to what i'll need. I'm thinking i'll want an HID kit for a couple reasons
Can't be too hard to wire them a positive and a negative wire......one is red and one is black

Just messing with you Matt.....I'm sure you want to wire a switch to a relay if you're doing HID's, right? That's not hard either, it's just more wire and a couple components.

Oh, and glow is right, the stuff you want to do will flow together pretty good. That's kinda what I'm planning with the stuff I'm doing this weekend too...it all works out to do it at the same time since I'm removing the same stuff.

Last edited by 05TLRIDER; 03-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:20 PM
fu

you wanna come too?
we'll say next saturday since it gives us more time to plan, i'll talk with jorge.

glow or 05tl, what should i get in terms of wiring and stuff? i want my setup to be something along the lines of -01-03 foglight switch, hidden wiring, HID setup
Old 03-16-2010 | 04:11 PM
Racer

^^ Do you have an HID kit picked out yet? That's where I would start, because that will affect what supporting components you'll need. If you get a kit you'll probably just need a relay, wire, and a switch....all very cheap items. I'm not sure what you mean by "hidden" wire, but it's not to hard to make an install look OEM, or to keep the wires out of the way.....tie wraps can be very handy for this.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:43 PM
fu

Alright, i'll pick out a kit tonight, but I keep running into one major problem... the foglights OEM bulb is japanese, and i can't find anything that even looks like it in shape. the headlight bulb does fit, but not too well, it's quite a bit bigger, so I don't know what to do
Old 03-16-2010 | 11:12 PM
Advanced

Talking

Slapy the only thing I have is My son has Baseball tryouts on Saturday I have to chcek the schedule I will let you know. If not we can do it Sunday. I have to check what times are the tryouts.
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:18 AM
fu

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Slapy the only thing I have is My son has Baseball tryouts on Saturday I have to chcek the schedule I will let you know. If not we can do it Sunday. I have to check what times are the tryouts.
We are going to do next Saturday cuz it will be easier
Old 03-17-2010 | 10:42 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Is this the place we are meeting up on April 10...

http://events.twincities.com/st-paul...et-island-park
Old 03-17-2010 | 03:40 PM
Broke college grad

Originally Posted by RL Chi-town
Is this the place we are meeting up on April 10...

http://events.twincities.com/st-paul...et-island-park
Somebody should post an updated bulletin of the meet for everyone to see and so we are all clear.
Old 03-17-2010 | 03:42 PM
Broke college grad

Matt have you had to replace your pillars on the outside of your car at all? Mine have faded and look crappy and I want to fix that. I have seen other TL's on here put vinyl overlay.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:47 PM
fu

yeah mine look like shit, i wouldn't mind trying to find a carbonfiber option if it is out there, otherwise i think i've seen someone just repaint them.

THE MEET UPDATE--
-When- April 10th, from about 10am or 11am til whenever
-Where- Harriet Island
-Who- Everyone that we invite
-What- BBQ, cook out, show off our cars, and then go for a cruise
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:33 PM
4th Gear

yes that is the place. I heard a stock tl like mine today with just an intake system and it sounds nice. I want one!!!!!! Anyway can't wait until I check out your rides. Also can't wait to put my new wheels too.
Old 03-17-2010 | 09:46 PM
8th Gear

Harriet gonna have enough room for everyone? Place is usually busy on the weekends.
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by edsdds
yes that is the place. I heard a stock tl like mine today with just an intake system and it sounds nice. I want one!!!!!! Anyway can't wait until I check out your rides. Also can't wait to put my new wheels too.
Wasn't mine was it An intake definitely gives the TL a deep throaty sound. I'll be interested to see what one of my additions tomorrow does for it

The best sound is the supercharged TL though.....you wanna talk about a badass sound!!!!
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 05TLRIDER
The best sound is the supercharged TL though.....you wanna talk about a badass sound!!!!
No doubt! There are a LOT of really unique sounds throughout the powerband. One of my favorites though is the growl around 3k from the resonated test pipe + pre-cat deletes.
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:06 PM
4th Gear

Smile

Wasn't mine was it An intake definitely gives the TL a deep throaty sound. I'll be interested to see what one of my additions tomorrow does for it

Lol. Nope it was one on cl I went to check out but they beat me on the sale. Oh well. Anyway are around this weekend? I want to check out your ride man especially want to hear it.
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:22 PM
Instructor

I woke White Heat up from hibernation today!!! Her purr was sexxxy as hell! I surprisingly have this Saturday & Sunday... where some of you still gonna meet up this weekend & do some mods & what not??
Old 03-18-2010 | 10:07 PM
4th Gear

I have zero engine mods so just curious to seeing your cars and where to start. LOL I might have some time on the weekend or possibly tomorrow night. I think a few of us are not that far away. Also just want to hear your cars mostly....ha ha.

Anyway because I have been posting here only I have no rights to show pics or even look at them...I guess I should make some real posts.

Also what is Jorges that everyone talks about anyway?
Old 03-18-2010 | 10:46 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Jorge's (georges) is Takata18's house. He lives in White Bear Lake, and generally has been where everyone meets.

As far as I know, we've met at my place (Coon Rapids), Josh's place (Minneapolis) and Takata's. Takata has the best garage since it's a full 2-car, and you can just pull in and move stuff out of your way of needed. My garage is a 2+ car, but it's got a divider wall in the middle, so it doesnt give you much room for working. Fine for a guy doing some work, but gets pretty cramped if your looking to hang out.

Josh on the other hand has a little bit of good/bad. Lives in a condo - so he's got a carwash, heat, and lots of room. Although there has been a bad experience with having too many people parking in the garage (or should I say too many people getting hooked up to wreckers?). So Josh's pimp pad has cooled down a little because we are scared to bring more than 1 or 2 cars to his garage.

Without scrolling back to look - who was it looking at TL's? The only reason I ask is because I was trying to sell mine for a while, but I still have a loan on it. I'd be interested in selling if someone was interested in buying. Guess it all comes down to dollars. But at over $500 a month, I'm paying it down pretty quick. lol

At this point - I'd almost rather buy myself a $5k camero/mustang/fixerupper and mod it out, rather than putting a bunch of money into a $15-20k car that's never going to be fast. Used to be my daily driver, but now that I have the truck - I want something that I can work on and park.
Old 03-18-2010 | 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by minnrdx
Guys - Do you know where I can find a DIY Carwash in the Twin Cities? I would like to find one close to the Blaine/Coon Rapids area. Thanks!
there is one on University Ave right before it crosses 35w/610
Old 03-18-2010 | 11:42 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Jorge's (georges) is Takata18's house. He lives in White Bear Lake, and generally has been where everyone meets.

As far as I know, we've met at my place (Coon Rapids), Josh's place (Minneapolis) and Takata's. Takata has the best garage since it's a full 2-car, and you can just pull in and move stuff out of your way of needed. My garage is a 2+ car, but it's got a divider wall in the middle, so it doesnt give you much room for working. Fine for a guy doing some work, but gets pretty cramped if your looking to hang out.

Josh on the other hand has a little bit of good/bad. Lives in a condo - so he's got a carwash, heat, and lots of room. Although there has been a bad experience with having too many people parking in the garage (or should I say too many people getting hooked up to wreckers?). So Josh's pimp pad has cooled down a little because we are scared to bring more than 1 or 2 cars to his garage.

Without scrolling back to look - who was it looking at TL's? The only reason I ask is because I was trying to sell mine for a while, but I still have a loan on it. I'd be interested in selling if someone was interested in buying. Guess it all comes down to dollars. But at over $500 a month, I'm paying it down pretty quick. lol

At this point - I'd almost rather buy myself a $5k camero/mustang/fixerupper and mod it out, rather than putting a bunch of money into a $15-20k car that's never going to be fast. Used to be my daily driver, but now that I have the truck - I want something that I can work on and park.
That was me looking for a 6 speed. I have an auto 2004 Tl and I also have a 2001 Audi TT. I want to get a 6 speed TL and get rid of the other cars. Shoot me an e-mail to edsdds@comcast.net and we can talk man. I am in woodbury so not too far.

Also a buddy of mine is going to be putting up a silver 6 speed V8 Trans Am for sale soon. He is a very cool guy with a pretty sick collection of cars even has 2 lifts in his garage where he fixes up his stuff. Anyway I have seen his Trans AM and its pretty nice good engine setup nice Corvette chrome wheels etc etc and was going to sell it for about $5k because he has another Trans and a Mustang already.
Old 03-18-2010 | 11:48 PM
4th Gear

Thought you had a 6 speed, didn't read the details right. I was looking for a TL but for a 6 speed. I have a 2004 TL auto and a 2001 Audi TT. Trying to end up with one family, sports, luxury, pimped-ride, sedan.
Old 03-19-2010 | 12:04 AM
Racer

Matt you'll have to see what I have before you paint the pillars!! I started working with it tonight and it's freakin awesome looking!! Search for 3m di-noc on the forums and you can get a glimpse. Edds I'll email you in a bit. I'm running a couple errands friday morning and working on the car the rest of the day. Hopefully I can get everything done by early saturday morning.
Old 03-19-2010 | 12:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
At this point - I'd almost rather buy myself a $5k camero/mustang/fixerupper and mod it out, rather than putting a bunch of money into a $15-20k car that's never going to be fast.
FYI, I am selling my 1994 Ford Thunderbird LX [4.6L V8 RWD].

Let me know if you are interested
Old 03-19-2010 | 12:14 AM
fu

Matt you'll have to see what I have before you paint the pillars!! I started working with it tonight and it's freakin awesome looking!! Search for 3m di-noc on the forums and you can get a glimpse. Edds I'll email you in a bit. I'm running a couple errands friday morning and working on the car the rest of the day. Hopefully I can get everything done by early saturday morning.
Alright, post pics asap man!
Old 03-19-2010 | 02:56 AM
8th Gear

Matt, wtf is up! We havn't talked in forever lol
Old 03-19-2010 | 06:00 PM
Racer

^3m di-noc carbon fiber vinyl http://www.carbonfibergear.com/sale-...-for-one-week/
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:56 PM
Broke college grad

That is sick I am probably going to use that on my pillars. Josh your subi would look pretty sweet with some of that used wherever you see fit.
Old 03-19-2010 | 08:01 PM
Broke college grad

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-photograph-gallery-99/carbon-fiba-768305/

Well looky here, it was the first thread I saw in 2G TL
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:37 PM
fu

Janick hit me up next time you're in the cities, we can finish that fast and furious marathon, haha

and I'm sold on the sheet of carbon fiber, my mind is spinning with all the places I wanna put that stuff
Old 03-19-2010 | 11:40 PM
8th Gear

I am in the cities, and have been all week lol
Old 03-20-2010 | 07:10 AM
Racer

No pics yet, cause I'm not done with everything, but that carbon fiber stuff is amazing looking on my nbp Couple things about it:
1. If you have it priority shipped from that site you get it in 2days!
2. Take your time!!!!
3. Remove the piece you're working with so you can wrap the edges.
4. Use a blow dryer to heat it up and work in small sections at a time!!! Using heat made it so much easier to work with.

On another note, my rear endlink is not broken so the Progress RSB stays on!

However after replacing plugs yesterday it looks like I may have problems with cylinder 2 and 4, cause I have a little bit of blow by. I'll be posting pics for ihc or opel to let me know what they think.

Also did a P/S drain/fill yesterday....holy crap was I worried about it too, cause running the pump dry is a terrifying experience!! Sounded like it was broken after I did it, but it was just getting the air out lol.

Only a few things left to get done now!
Old 03-20-2010 | 12:12 PM
fu

Janick we should meet up soon then, haha.

And kevin, any chance we could do a PS drain and fill with mine? Mine is empty and so I'm basically running without PS, which sucks
Old 03-20-2010 | 02:50 PM
fu

heres a link to that page i was talking about kevin, I definitely will do this if i end up getting the carbon fiber
http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/...oating-di-noc/

Last edited by Slepybear; 03-20-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2010 | 02:58 PM
fu

To-do list--
-Order HID- H1
-Install HID, and JDM bumper
-Install new headlights
-Install new headlight bulbs
-Install new hood shocks
-Install new hood
-Install Mugen Grill
-Flush and refill powersteering
-Clean engine bay