Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might talk Jorge into it and just go cruise out there and hang out with the kids for a night, it's been a while since I was out there.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Broke college grad

I'll be there most likely one of the nights
Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be cruising University Avenue..... in Fargo haha we have one right outside my dorm. Nobody cruises it though

Wouldnt want car enthusiasts to make fun of my lesbian moving wagon anyways haha
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Matt - did I see you at about 8:00 this morning off of like 24th in Minneapolis? I was on my way to work and saw a TL with black rims - pretty sure it was you unless there's a twin out there somewhere. I was sitting at a red light when you turned in front of me.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Are you guys planning on having an end of the season meet or anything like that? It would be fun to come down any meet some of you guys.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
fu

I hope not, haha, cuz that would mean someone is driving my car while I'm in school. haha.

And I think an end of season meet would be great.. the "rule" for meets through TC acurazine is that if you want it, you gotta set it up. choose dates, times, places etc and then everyone who can make it will, hah, so feel free to take this one?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by Slepybear
I hope not, haha, cuz that would mean someone is driving my car while I'm in school. haha.

And I think an end of season meet would be great.. the "rule" for meets through TC acurazine is that if you want it, you gotta set it up. choose dates, times, places etc and then everyone who can make it will, hah, so feel free to take this one?
I think that it is a rule of life that if you want something, you make it happen.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

I should be cruising university tonight around 9pm, if it doesnt rain... maybe ill see a few of you guys out there
Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Jorge and I are gonna roll out soon, be down there in a bit
Old 09-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Any of you that are wondering about oil or when to change it, here is a very good article originally published in Consumer Reports about oil. The article is a bit old, but that just means that oil has gotten better since their tests!

http://www.moneybluebook.com/article....oilchange.php
Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Hey it was cool meeting you fellas last night!!! Gonna try and kick it on University a couple more times before it gets cold... maybe ill see you guys there again.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by asujosh1
Any of you that are wondering about oil or when to change it, here is a very good article originally published in Consumer Reports about oil. The article is a bit old, but that just means that oil has gotten better since their tests!

http://www.moneybluebook.com/article....oilchange.php

That was a really good article. Thanks!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Got the tires mounted on the winter 'beater' wheels and decided to just put them on the car, I'm going to be out of town for the next month and a half, so I figured that I would just get it done for the wife.

It looks pretty damn sick with the black wheels and knobby tires!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Slappy, I had an idea about your puddle lights. Once you get the lights fixed, you should wire them up to the dome light so that they come on when you open the door instead of having them on a switch.

I know a dude that had them on his S-class like that and it was pimp. Of course, his were factory, but I am sure you can figure it out...
Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM
8th Gear

I'v declared that the Outback needs tires. It slid in the ran going around a cloverleaf the other day at like 30mph. I probably looked like a Tokyo drifter but in slow motion haha
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Any of you guys think the Comptech supercharger kit is worth it?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Pineapple
Any of you guys think the Comptech supercharger kit is worth it?
HELL yes. You just need to be smart about it and get other supporting mods to get the most out of it, power and reliability-wise.

For ~6k you can have a near 13 second car with as much power as a Ferrari 430. And the other great part... I've still been getting ~32 MPG.

Last edited by bmeyer; 09-15-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Punctuation Nazi

If I had an Acura and a couple of grand to blow, I would definitely buy it. It's the only real mod that you can do to add a significant amount of power, but like bmeyer said, you have to do everything in order to really get the most out of it. That means that you need the J-pipe, a test pipe, some noisemakers (cat-back exhaust) and possibly an intake in front of the SC. I would also go with an intercooler if the kit doesn't come with one, and thermoblok spacers to keep the intake as cool as possible.

I am not certain if an enlarged MAF would be required, but you should look into it. The kit should come with a fuel pump and injectors, so you should be good there, after that it's just a trip to the local dyno for a tune!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Pro

If I had an Acura and a couple of grand to blow, I would definitely buy it. It's the only real mod that you can do to add a significant amount of power, but like bmeyer said, you have to do everything in order to really get the most out of it. That means that you need the J-pipe, a test pipe, some noisemakers (cat-back exhaust) and possibly an intake in front of the SC. I would also go with an intercooler if the kit doesn't come with one, and thermoblok spacers to keep the intake as cool as possible.

I am not certain if an enlarged MAF would be required, but you should look into it. The kit should come with a fuel pump and injectors, so you should be good there, after that it's just a trip to the local dyno for a tune!
The CT kit does not actually come with injectors or a fuel pump. Instead it comes with a tool that lets you alter the stock FPR's output by something like +10 p.s.i.

As far as injectors go, a couple of guys have been running RSX-S injectors. Pretty cheap if you picked them up refurbished or with low miles.

In order to really make use out of the injectors though you need some sort of engine management. Bone stock with the CT S/C installed you'll be running pig rich. At WOT ~6k my car hits 10.7 - 11.0 A/F.

I'm not sure that I would waste the time with an intercooler. You would need a significant amount of piping in an already cramped engine compartment. Instead, I'm running an AEM water/meth injection kit. Maybe not quite as effective as a full intercooler, but with the relatively low boost from the stock pulley I think it's more than enough to do the trick.

I should be getting my harness back either today or tomorrow from Paul for the F/IC so that I can finally get it properly tuned. I'll be up at RS Motors sometime later this week to see what this setup can put down for numbers. The 6G accord with a J32A3 swap on this forum recently put down 346 whp / 299 ft./lbs. with a similar setup.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Bummer on the no injectors and fuel pump with the kit.

A friend has an S2K with the CT SC kit installed and he's running something like 350whp on the RS dyno, they do all of his tuning.

Just ask the guys there about Charles' S2K, he took them out to an autocross event and gave them a ride.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bmeyer
The CT kit does not actually come with injectors or a fuel pump. Instead it comes with a tool that lets you alter the stock FPR's output by something like +10 p.s.i.

As far as injectors go, a couple of guys have been running RSX-S injectors. Pretty cheap if you picked them up refurbished or with low miles.

In order to really make use out of the injectors though you need some sort of engine management. Bone stock with the CT S/C installed you'll be running pig rich. At WOT ~6k my car hits 10.7 - 11.0 A/F.

I'm not sure that I would waste the time with an intercooler. You would need a significant amount of piping in an already cramped engine compartment. Instead, I'm running an AEM water/meth injection kit. Maybe not quite as effective as a full intercooler, but with the relatively low boost from the stock pulley I think it's more than enough to do the trick.

I should be getting my harness back either today or tomorrow from Paul for the F/IC so that I can finally get it properly tuned. I'll be up at RS Motors sometime later this week to see what this setup can put down for numbers. The 6G accord with a J32A3 swap on this forum recently put down 346 whp / 299 ft./lbs. with a similar setup.

I didn't realize there was such a heavily modified TL living in MN! Gives me something to catch up to now!! How long have you been running the CT SC with meth injection? Any problems?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Bummer on the no injectors and fuel pump with the kit.

A friend has an S2K with the CT SC kit installed and he's running something like 350whp on the RS dyno, they do all of his tuning.

Just ask the guys there about Charles' S2K, he took them out to an autocross event and gave them a ride.

Is it a silver S2k? If it is ive seen it at the autoX track and was blown away by it. It sound Fukin MEAN!!!

Some guys are saying the kit is incomplete. IS that because it has no intercooler and fuel pump and injectors? Is it something else? My girl has a Grand prix GTP, that has a SC and i love the sound it makes when she kicks it down on the highway. I also saw a viseo of a 2005 mustang cobra with a SC and you could hear it from like 4 blocks away. I dont know what im going to do but i am trying to get info and opinions.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 05TLRIDER
I didn't realize there was such a heavily modified TL living in MN! Gives me something to catch up to now!! How long have you been running the CT SC with meth injection? Any problems?
Hehehe. I've been keeping a low profile. The outside is totally stock so it's funny seeing G35 sedans trying to pick fights.

I've been running the setup for a little over a month and a half now with only one minor issue during the install. It was throwing a CEL for the knock sensor. I called CT and within 5 minutes I had an answer. I was really impressed that the first guy that picked up the phone could answer my question in detail. Basically he said to just disconnect the knock intercept from the ACM unit. He said that the unit was originally designed to just filter out that signal and that some cars are just extra finicky.

Other than that it's been a great car! A 100% trouble-free daily driver. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat just to hear the scream of the S/C.

We should plan a fall cruise this year - maybe along the river. I'll bring the beast out.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Pro

Some guys are saying the kit is incomplete. IS that because it has no intercooler and fuel pump and injectors? Is it something else?
That's basically it. And the lack of a PROPER engine management unit.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

That's basically it. And the lack of a PROPER engine management unit.

How did you remedy that issue? The Engine management i mean... I guess im not understanding the issue with the SC. My girls GTP doesnt have an intercooler or CAI or anything, its stock basically. The grand prix guys are adding intercoolers and other things to get more power and they are doing it just fine... Is there something with the TL that im not getting that causes the SC to be a less optimal choice to alot of people than the TC? Or am i just a complete retard and am not understanding everyones input... I can be pretty stupid sometimes..

Last edited by Evil_Pineapple; 09-15-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Pro

How did you remedy that issue? The Engine management i mean
I'll be running an AEM F/IC unit (P/N: 30-1910)
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=116

Picked up an extension harness from Boomslang (basically a plug-n-play 12" extension to go between the factory EMU and the vehicle plugs). Send the extension harness and the F/IC harness off to Paul (NVA-AV6 on the forums) to have him wire it up.

AEM *does* list a factory F/IC harness for our cars on their site, but it's MONTHS overdue and attempts to contact them about an updated ETA have failed. (Nobody there seems to know what's up with it.)

Some people were originally having troubles getting the F/IC to control VTEC, but Paul has a workaround for that. Basically a relay gets wired in to the harness somewhere. I can give more details once it arrives. (Mail is here already today so I assume it'll show up tomorrow.)

Some guys also run some frankenstein setups with either the Greddy E-Manage Blue + Ultimate and the accord guy I mentioned above is running a E-Manage Ultimate + CT ACM (for VTEC since the Ultimate cannot control VTEC on our cars). To me it just seems like a cheezy/hack setup (no offense to anyone running it, it's just my opinion) with one more possible point of failure. Not to mention the added layer of complexity.

When I first started modifying my car, I had one goal in mind. Make fun, reliable horsepower. Something that I can take on a 5000 mile road trip and not have to give a second thought about it. And that's exactly what I ended up with. Without popping the hood, you'd swear the car is bone stock except for the iPod adaptor. There are no alcohol/meth tanks in the trunk, no coffee can mufflers hanging out the back, no gauges lining the interior...
Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Pro

Is there something with the TL that im not getting that causes the SC to be a less optimal choice to alot of people than the TC?
There are a few issues here...
First, is the kit itself. Like we were talking about, it's not a 100% complete kit.

Second, is the problem with the blower pretty much being a gigantic hair-dryer. It gets really warm which in turn heats up your intake charge. (That's the purpose for the water/meth or intercooler)

Third, in general, turbochargers are far more versatile than superchargers - not to mention better for your engine. A TC boosting at the same level as a SC will put less strain on the internals of your engine. Also, turbochargers will make more hp than a supercharger.

Personally, I like the feel of the S/C better though since the power is always there. There's no waiting for the TC to spool. It's totally linear.

I'd do a search for posts by Opel and IHateCars. They're both a couple of really knowledgeable dudes. Their posts should help clear up any other comparisons between the two.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your TL?

Last edited by bmeyer; 09-15-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

There are a few issues here...
First, is the kit itself. Like we were talking about, it's not a 100% complete kit.

Second, is the problem with the blower pretty much being a gigantic hair-dryer. It gets really warm which in turn heats up your intake charge. (That's the purpose for the water/meth or intercooler)

Third, in general, turbochargers are far more versatile than superchargers - not to mention better for your engine. A TC boosting at the same level as a SC will put less strain on the internals of your engine. Also, turbochargers will make more hp than a supercharger.

Personally, I like the feel of the S/C better though since the power is always there. There's no waiting for the TC to spool. It's totally linear.

I'd do a search for posts by Opel and IHateCars. They're both a couple of really knowledgeable dudes. Their posts should help clear up any other comparisons between the two.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your TL?

I understand everything you just said.... I have another post in the 3rd Gen TL performance part and I HAte Cars is also pretty much saying the same things you are. He is making more of a case that i should NOT get the SC or get it at my own risk. He has alos pointed out alot of the same things you have about the Meth and other things to make it run better. I like both setups... Neither one is going into my car for a couple of years down the road though.

I have 74000 on my TL, just bought it used. I have a warranty on it so im not doing anything to it untill the warranty is done. It is my everyday driver right now but im looking at buying a winter beater. I also race AutoX so the supercharger is something im interested in for that as well because of exactly what you said about linear power as opposed to waiting for it to spool up... coming out of a turn in AutoX and hitting the gas and having to wait for the power to kick in will cost LOTS of time... relatively speaking... but when every 100th of a second counts it feels like forever!!!!

Im not looking to be the fasted TL in the world and im not looking to try and beat out super cars. Just want to be competitive and have some fun!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Pro

Since you're not looking to add either setup for a couple of years, I may think twice about doing either one. Adding either to your car at any mileage *will* shorten the lifespan of the engine, but adding one to a car with 100k+ on the clock may be a even tougher on it. Especially since these are high compression engines with weak top ring landings.

I've got ~60k on my car as it sits now and if I'm still running the same setup once it sees 100k, I'm going to tear down the engine and do a rebuild. Nothing extreme, just more of a preventative maintenance.

Keep in mind though that this is just my personal opinion. There are a couple of guys on there that have run their S/C'd cars well into the 6-figures range and are still running strong on stock internals. It's just not for me.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro

Pineapple, which Auto-X events have you been going to? Any others coming up soon? I've been dying to make it to some sort of car-related event this year.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Well, i had planned on going turbo on my last car but not until i rebuilt the motor so if i do the same to this car then i would rebuild it as well.... im not sure.... i may end up buying some used car and fixing that up to be my race care instead...

I was in the first race of the year but almost busted my car and since it was my everyday driver i stopped. there are 3 more races this year.... One on oct. 4th and Oct 10th and 11th. The one on the 4th is at midway.... and the last 2 are at canterburry.... Im running my TL on the 10th.

This is the site where we sign up for the races.... u can look at it to see where they are.... http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...text=minnesota

If your interested in doing AutoX go and sign up on this site.... http://www.mnautox.com/

Last edited by Evil_Pineapple; 09-15-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Punctuation Nazi

If you guys are going to get into Autox, let me tell you that you are likely going to be in STX, and are going to be seriously outclassed. I know this because I raced my TL type S last season and could not get within 7 seconds of the guy leading the STX class. Not even the fastest guy in the local area could get much closer in my TL.

Although, with that SC installed, you're more likely to be in one of the Mod classes.

This was the whole reason I sold the TL and bought the STI.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Pro

I don't suspect I'll ever make an attempt at it. It's just too chubby of a car to be really competitive. It might be fun just to say you did it a couple times, but I'm too competitive of a person. I'd be in it to win.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Oh yes, it is fun. Come out to a TnT next year and I'll take you for a spin in the STI. I'm hoping to have over 350whp by the end of winter. Theoretically I have 265-ish at the wheels now, gotta love forced induction!!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Pro

I'll probably take you up on the offer. Keep me posted on event dates.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

If you guys are going to get into Autox, let me tell you that you are likely going to be in STX, and are going to be seriously outclassed. I know this because I raced my TL type S last season and could not get within 7 seconds of the guy leading the STX class. Not even the fastest guy in the local area could get much closer in my TL.

Although, with that SC installed, you're more likely to be in one of the Mod classes.

This was the whole reason I sold the TL and bought the STI.

You dont have to go into any class if you dont want to... You can just sign up for SI (special interest) and run for fun. SI is cool cause its for any car any level of driver. Thats what im doing now just to get started. The TL is not a very big car IMO... there are bigger cars that are flying around that track all the time.

There is always going to be a car thats faster than yours... but so what... everyone also feels that a certain car is worth fixing up and others are not.... its personal preference.

Last edited by Evil_Pineapple; 09-15-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Punctuation Nazi

I ALWAYS forget about SI, even though that ends up being the largest group on any given weekend.

Problem with running SI is that your PAX is 1.00 so it is nearly impossible for you to be able to compare your driving with anyone else that is not in SI. That, and once you win it, you're banned for life. But, I know of at least 1 driver that spent 1.5 years in SI until he won it. Just because the class is for 'run what you brung', doesn't mean it's full of a bunch of slouches. :P
Old 09-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

I ALWAYS forget about SI, even though that ends up being the largest group on any given weekend.

Problem with running SI is that your PAX is 1.00 so it is nearly impossible for you to be able to compare your driving with anyone else that is not in SI. That, and once you win it, you're banned for life. But, I know of at least 1 driver that spent 1.5 years in SI until he won it. Just because the class is for 'run what you brung', doesn't mean it's full of a bunch of slouches. :P

Thats what i like about SI... it just gives me a chance to concentrate on myself and no one else. I dont care how fast everyone else is.... im making sure i dont hit any cones and i remember which way the damn track goes....lol. I stick to SI just to get more experience driving the course. IM still very inexperienced and need all the practice i can get.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Racer

Josh...............why are you up at 346 AM posting on the forums?!?! Go to bed man!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 PM
8th Gear

Hehehe. I've been keeping a low profile. The outside is totally stock so it's funny seeing G35 sedans trying to pick fights.

I've been running the setup for a little over a month and a half now with only one minor issue during the install. It was throwing a CEL for the knock sensor. I called CT and within 5 minutes I had an answer. I was really impressed that the first guy that picked up the phone could answer my question in detail. Basically he said to just disconnect the knock intercept from the ACM unit. He said that the unit was originally designed to just filter out that signal and that some cars are just extra finicky.

Other than that it's been a great car! A 100% trouble-free daily driver. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat just to hear the scream of the S/C.

We should plan a fall cruise this year - maybe along the river. I'll bring the beast out.
Just lemme S/C my G and we can do a run, because stock for stock i can pull on TLs.

Josh my friend has a Miata and he does AutoXing with his friend who has a Corrodo, and im definatly thinking i'm gonna do one next spring with my car. That just sounds and looks like way to much fun to pass up.

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras