1G ILX Chat, Chit, and General Info Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I can't wait to get some coilovers on this car as well! I didn't think a tire wold affect steering as much as you described so thats a next up for me as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Drifting

On an entirely separate note, what do you think is an acceptable spending limit for christmas gifts for a new-ish (4 months) gf.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I can't wait to get some coilovers on this car as well! I didn't think a tire wold affect steering as much as you described so thats a next up for me as well.
Get the use out of your Michelins, THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. Just upgrade when you're ready to get new tires. The tires will make a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the feeling, feedback and numbness of the steering. It's really incredible.. Now, different tires will provide different types of feedback. (i.e. certain directional tread types will grab the road better, which includes feeling grooves and things in the road.) My tire change on the TSX was a well-worth it's price and I only paid $800 for all 4 which is much cheaper than the OE tires. You also had a TSX so imagine how that drove, the steering was effortless, yet it had a tightness too it and didn't feel quite as numb as the ILX but still numb to a degree.. I found that changing the tires completely eliminated the numbness and increased feedback substaintially. Obviously it wont help our body roll issue but I think you'll be happy with the difference. Just wait around for summer and get some nice summer tires or all-season performance tires, the new Yokohomas are dope and relatively affordable to comparable tires!

On an entirely separate note, what do you think is an acceptable spending limit for christmas gifts for a new-ish (4 months) gf.

It really depends on what type of girl she is. My girlfriend over a year didn't expect much our first christmas together so I just got her a few things I knew she'd APPRECIATE vs trying to "wow" her with expensive or shiney things.

She was mentioning how much she LOVED Planet Earth and wanted to buy it but it was too expensive so I got her that and a CD (she really like album covers, the physical disk and artwork) she considered one of her Top 5 favorites of all time and she had lost it. It was really simple but she loved it! So, it just depends on relevancy of the deal.

This year she has been meantioning she didn't want me to go big on Christmas so I just got her American Horror Story Season 1 (she kept talking about buying this as well) and our anniversary is up and she loves Rihanna so Imma fork out the $500 to get her a up front ticket to see that concert... That'll make up for Christmas haha
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wanna tell you this.. you're only 4 months into the relationship so gifting is a good way to set expectations.. You can go for the "I got money I'll show you a good time" and buy her something flashy and expensive OR you can go the "I care about you route" and get her something you think would have a significance to her, something that is tailored to her wants/needs" OR you can get her an iPad Mini and call it a night :P ... everyone loves iPads
Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trentimus
Get the use out of your Michelins, THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. Just upgrade when you're ready to get new tires. The tires will make a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the feeling, feedback and numbness of the steering. It's really incredible.. Now, different tires will provide different types of feedback. (i.e. certain directional tread types will grab the road better, which includes feeling grooves and things in the road.) My tire change on the TSX was a well-worth it's price and I only paid $800 for all 4 which is much cheaper than the OE tires. You also had a TSX so imagine how that drove, the steering was effortless, yet it had a tightness too it and didn't feel quite as numb as the ILX but still numb to a degree.. I found that changing the tires completely eliminated the numbness and increased feedback substaintially. Obviously it wont help our body roll issue but I think you'll be happy with the difference. Just wait around for summer and get some nice summer tires or all-season performance tires, the new Yokohomas are dope and relatively affordable to comparable tires!

I definitely liked the steering on my tsx. Mine was the 2012, which featured updated steering since the 09. I think tires coupled with my sway bar will greatly help the car out. I feel like it floats a bit too much, too. It's tough staying straight in my lane, imagine if I was intoxicated
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Drifting

It really depends on what type of girl she is. My girlfriend over a year didn't expect much our first christmas together so I just got her a few things I knew she'd APPRECIATE vs trying to "wow" her with expensive or shiney things.

She was mentioning how much she LOVED Planet Earth and wanted to buy it but it was too expensive so I got her that and a CD (she really like album covers, the physical disk and artwork) she considered one of her Top 5 favorites of all time and she had lost it. It was really simple but she loved it! So, it just depends on relevancy of the deal.

This year she has been meantioning she didn't want me to go big on Christmas so I just got her American Horror Story Season 1 (she kept talking about buying this as well) and our anniversary is up and she loves Rihanna so Imma fork out the $500 to get her a up front ticket to see that concert... That'll make up for Christmas haha
I like where your head is at. I'm going to set the limit at 250 and see how it goes
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Drifting

I wanna tell you this.. you're only 4 months into the relationship so gifting is a good way to set expectations.. You can go for the "I got money I'll show you a good time" and buy her something flashy and expensive OR you can go the "I care about you route" and get her something you think would have a significance to her, something that is tailored to her wants/needs" OR you can get her an iPad Mini and call it a night :P ... everyone loves iPads
lol, she wouldn't know what to do with an iPad...she's not very much into tech / staying connected via the internets. She's more of a go out kinda girl
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I definitely liked the steering on my tsx. Mine was the 2012, which featured updated steering since the 09. I think tires coupled with my sway bar will greatly help the car out. I feel like it floats a bit too much, too. It's tough staying straight in my lane, imagine if I was intoxicated
I did test drive a 2012 the steering was.. idk for lack of a better word more sturdy. It felt nice but still.. was on those damned Michelins!

I agree on all levels with what you just said about our cars though.. It's just a set of tires, coil-over kit, FSB, and RSB away from perfect I am betting though.

Best of luck with a gift, I think she would be happy in that price range.. especially if it's something that holds weight to her beyond "oh this is cool".. like "wow, this was really thoughtful" <<< that's what you wanna aim for

I have faith!
The following users liked this post:
spdandpwr (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Drifting

I hope she likes it as much as you think she will :crossesfingers:
Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 5,303 Likes on 3,637 Posts
Originally Posted by rxj27
Hell, we should start official color specific photo threads!
Anyone have a Fathom Blue yet? I've yet to see one in person & it's #1 on my "when I get an ILX" color list.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

On the 2014 ILX issue at hand.. With them switching to the new Earth Dreams motor line... where does that leave the aftermarket with the K24Z7?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Anyone have a Fathom Blue yet? I've yet to see one in person & it's #1 on my "when I get an ILX" color list.
Yep, I have one (the 6MT variant)!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by pabarile
Yep, I have one (the 6MT variant)!
Yeah a few folks in the Sign-In thread have said they have Fathom.

Such an awesome color. Fathom Blue was the color of the ILX that was featured at the line-off event in April at the Greensburg, Indiana factory. Acura really wanted to showcase the car AND the color (since both are new). Ever since I saw it in person, I've re-thunk my decision to get Silver Moon. Love my silver for the ease-of-maintenance, but that blue is stunning. Especially on the Street Build ILX they had at SEMA. Yum.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Ever since I saw it in person, I've re-thunk my decision to get Silver Moon. Love my silver for the ease-of-maintenance, but that blue is stunning. Especially on the Street Build ILX they had at SEMA. Yum.
Yeah, the color is really awesome, however I'm definitely noticing that the upkeep on the car's finish compared to the silver accord i had before the ILX will be much greater (if you want to keep it looking great). It's not that my accord was cleaner; I just couldn't see how dirty it was ha. But now i see every speck of dust. However, when its clean, its stunning.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone else wish the red was a brighter shade?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Pabarile
Yeah, the color is really awesome, however I'm definitely noticing that the upkeep on the car's finish compared to the silver accord i had before the ILX will be much greater (if you want to keep it looking great). It's not that my accord was cleaner; I just couldn't see how dirty it was ha. But now i see every speck of dust. However, when its clean, its stunning.
I know - a dark car is gorgeous but it's so much upkeep. I get away with so much having a silver car. Which is good because I'm taking pictures of it all. the. time.
Anyone else wish the red was a brighter shade?
Yes. If they offered the ILX in Milano Red (same as the 12MY TSX SE), that would've been my first choice without a doubt. I just wasn't digging the Crimson Garnet at the time. Now that I've seen the Crimson in person it's pretty nice, but I'll always think the ILX would look ultra hot in a bright red.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced

I now - a dark car is gorgeous but it's so much upkeep. I get away with so much having a silver car. Which is good because I'm taking pictures of it all. the. time.
I'm hoping that since I can see EVERYTHING on the surface that I'll take better care of the finish then I did my last car. hopefully laziness won't win out.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I like where your head is at. I'm going to set the limit at 250 and see how it goes
Buy something shiny, nice, and unexpected that says that you have money for $200 (Coach bag maybe) and spend $50 on thoughtful small items that show you care.

Pleasant mix of both worlds.
The following 2 users liked this post by ddantzler:
4cruizn (12-05-2012), Trentimus (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ddantzler
Buy something shiny, nice, and unexpected that says that you have money for $200 (Coach bag maybe) and spend $50 on thoughtful small items that show you care.

WELL PLAYED!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM

Such an awesome color. Fathom Blue was the color of the ILX that was featured at the line-off event in April at the Greensburg, Indiana factory. Acura really wanted to showcase the car AND the color (since both are new). Ever since I saw it in person, I've re-thunk my decision to get Silver Moon. Love my silver for the ease-of-maintenance, but that blue is stunning. Especially on the Street Build ILX they had at SEMA. Yum.

Forgot about the SEMA car. When we get closer to pulling the trigger on replacing my TL, I'll be really looking for a fathom blue ILX 6MT.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ddantzler

Sorry dd, but No no no...Coach bag wrong on sooooo many levels.

1. If you break up with her that's $200 gone and plus she won't keep it because it'll remind her of you...

2. It doesn't show her you have $...it shows her you are too cheap to get her the LV, Gucci, Prada bag that she really wanted...

Instead, here is my married guy 2 cents. Take her somewhere to have an experience. You're from CT so maybe a romantic ski weekend in the Poconos. Or if you can stand it...take her to NYC for a fancy dinner and a broadway show (those Southpark guys aren't wrong!).

It'll be something you'll still get to keep even if you break up with her...plus it'll allow you quality time with her.
The following 2 users liked this post by rxj27:
4cruizn (12-05-2012), ddantzler (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced

1. If you break up with her that's $200 gone and plus she won't keep it because it'll remind her of you...

2. It doesn't show her you have $...it shows her you are too cheap to get her the LV, Gucci, Prada bag that she really wanted...

Instead, here is my married guy 2 cents. Take her somewhere to have an experience. You're from CT so maybe a romantic ski weekend in the Poconos. Or if you can stand it...take her to NYC for a fancy dinner and a broadway show (those Southpark guys aren't wrong!).

It'll be something you'll still get to keep even if you break up with her...plus it'll allow you quality time with her.
I second the "experience" type gift! Even though i've been married for 6 years now, I still opt for that over a material item. As always though, your mileage may vary
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Drifting

I think I'm going to do both. Presents (one "big" thing with thoughtful gifts sprinkled in) and an experiential thing...though the experience thing will be on the cheaper side of things.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I got a hard time in the 2g tsx general thread from spdpower's gift cost. I said it doesnt have to be super expensive like a LV bag or whatever. You buy her an $800 bag after 4 months, won't she expect gifts like that every holiday? I'd rather have her appreciate me, not the gifts. Maybe I've just had really low maintenance girlfriends in the past.

+1 for an experience gift. Hot air balloon ride! Might be too cold in CT though. One more reason to move to texas
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by opboarding
You buy her an $800 bag after 4 months, won't she expect gifts like that every holiday? I'd rather have her appreciate me, not the gifts.

One more reason to move to Texas
THIS

&

TEXAS>>>>

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

THIS

&

TEXAS>>>>

Oh hey you are in Ft Worth. We are close!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Oh hey you are in Ft Worth. We are close!

YEP! I know all those buildings behind your TSX in your garage photos.

I really like your TSX! Do you ever do any of the meets like Coffee and Cars out here?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

YEP! I know all those buildings behind your TSX in your garage photos.

I really like your TSX! Do you ever do any of the meets like Coffee and Cars out here?
I haven't been to C&C here in Dallas yet. I went to my first one last weekend in Austin. It was a pretty small turnout compared to Dallas/Houston, there were only about 100 cars there. I do really want to go to the Dallas one now. I wont be able to go to the next one in January since I'll be on vacation. I am shooting for the February one though!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Drifting

+1 to all who posted...thanks guys!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

I haven't been to C&C here in Dallas yet. I went to my first one last weekend in Austin. It was a pretty small turnout compared to Dallas/Houston, there were only about 100 cars there. I do really want to go to the Dallas one now. I wont be able to go to the next one in January since I'll be on vacation. I am shooting for the February one though!

Dude, the one here is insane.. The amount of supercar turn outs is worth it alone! You should definitely clear your calendar for one.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Dude, the one here is insane.. The amount of supercar turn outs is worth it alone! You should definitely clear your calendar for one.
Awesome. I'll let you know/remind you in Feb if I end up going and if you go we can meet up there.

I'm also down to meet up on Sundays. I might be going to Ft Worth this Saturday evening-Sunday afternoon, depending on whether or not my friend is free.
The following users liked this post:
Trentimus (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Drifting

Looks like I need to move to TEXAS. All of the active members live there.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Plenty of room for you down here!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Awesome. I'll let you know/remind you in Feb if I end up going and if you go we can meet up there.

I'm also down to meet up on Sundays. I might be going to Ft Worth this Saturday evening-Sunday afternoon, depending on whether or not my friend is free.
Definitely DO! I love seeing the blend of different types of cars from tuners to high-end exotics and DFW really is diverse when it comes to cars. Let me know and we def have to!

Plenty of room for you down here!
There really is, and the housing is so cheap here compared to most places; in contrast our economy hasn't suffered as much either.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM

There really is, and the housing is so cheap here compared to most places; in contrast our economy hasn't suffered as much either.
Agreed, my in-laws live in CA (near Bakersfield) & my mom lives outside of Vegas. So I've seen what it's like there. I think I'll be staying in TX for quite a long time
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
No joke but that's the first good thing I've ever heard about Texas and I'm in the red state of Missouri. I guess what they say about Texas pride is true! Texas Secession!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Drifting

I think every state has its merits. One of my life goals is to go visit every state.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think every state has its merits. One of my life goals is to go visit every state.

Me too!

I couldn't complain about Texas so I dunno why anyone else would.. the only thing I think I would complain about Texas is you get EVERY aspect of the weather spectrum and it can change at ANY given day... one day it might be 100 degrees the next could be 60.. Winters go down as low as anywhere and summers go as hot as anywhere.. which can suck but atleast you aren't bored with it lol
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Weather is one of the reasons I liked SF. I felt like it didn't go too cold or too hot. I hate places with extreme weather (like the northeast and texas, as you describe it).

Quick Reply: 1G ILX Chat, Chit, and General Info Thread