Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Would you abort a pregnancy?
Pro-choice
60.51%
Pro-life
16.92%
Depends
22.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
It's a crutch. Without that rationale it would be almost impossible to volunteer the death of your child.

I'm not saying this in a bad way. It's needed to justify abortion, it's a crutch. Without believing that it is not yet a child you would be inclined to preserve the life. You said it yourself.
I'd like to think it's more than just a crutch.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:48 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
It means that some people do help others for a living. Sometimes you come across a person who's opinion actually is backed by something than just a personal opinion. In any case, I believe this thread is far more civil than most thread I've came across lately.
Still, what you said had nothing to do with the comment you quoted. Random...
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
The Boss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Wrong. You want to protect the mothers right to choose whether they can kill the kid or not and to hell with the rights of that new life. I want to protect the child's right to choose life until they are able to make the choice for themselves.
You're kidding me right? Ok, I'll find all the mothers who are pregnant. Tell them to have the babies and give them all to you to raise them until they are old enough to make their own decisions. I hope you're rich!!!

If you want to voice your opinion, you should step up to the plate and take care of the children. I love pro-lifers who want to "save" the child's life but once they're born... they don't do jack shit.

Last edited by AcuraDriver2006; 10-19-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
I'd like to think it's more than just a crutch.
A crutch is a crutch is a crutch is a crutch.

If you need to lean on it to support a function, it's a crutch. No matter how you dress it up, it's a crutch.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Each situation is different and everyone is entitled to make their own decisions...no one said anything about making decisions for others.

And what the fuck are you talking about a moment of weakness? Are you kidding me? It's not like abortion is a murder in the heat of passion. It's not like "oh noes! I'm pregnant shit I'll go over to the abortion clinic RIGHT NOW and get that baby sucked outta me!" You have to make an appointment...you have ample time to think things over. Granted some people do regret the decision afterwards, but they had plenty of time to think about the consequences...
They can say any goddamn thing they want. I was pissed at the father, decided to walk into a clinic and off the kid as revenge. Its easier than using birth control.

Last edited by leedogg; 10-19-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
Wrong. You want to protect the mothers right to choose whether they can kill the kid or not and to hell with the rights of that new life. I want to protect the child's right to choose life until they are able to make the choice for themselves.
yeah, that's all fine and good, except that it is NOT a child until it breathes on it's own. An unborn child/fetus/baby/whatever has no right to choose anything, because it does not exist on its own.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

They can say any goddamn thing they want. I was pissed at the father, decided to walk into a clinic and off the kid as revenge. Its easier than using birth control.
What aaaaaaaaare you talking about?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
RAR

What aaaaaaaaare you talking about?
If they wanted to sue the state for killing the kid, they can say anything they wanted.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by Astroboy
yeah, that's all fine and good, except that it is NOT a child until it breathes on it's own. An unborn child/fetus/baby/whatever has no right to choose anything, because it does not exist on its own.
I think I remember reading this statement on page 2, 5, 9, 11, and here.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:01 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
For Your Information. TME has a phD in psychology. She works for a very credible firm and volunteers at the local hospitals on her own time. Part of her volunteers involves helping single mothers dealing with pregnancy and people dealing with AIDS.

stalker much?

Atsxguy, have a fun time in land.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:03 PM
RAR

It is a new life upon conception. It will become a human. It will be sentient. Just because at some stage it is more or less developed doesnt mean a thing. You are arbitrarily deciding at what point it is technically a child. I'm saying who the hell cares at what point it 'becomes a child', it will become a child and that is all that matters.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

If they wanted to sue the state for killing the kid, they can say anything they wanted.
I no longer see how this is relevant.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:07 PM
The Creator

The problem with this viewpoint is ... it could.

A fetus is potentially viable in the 2nd trimester after as little as 24 weeks.

While your argument may hold up for 1st trimester pre-fetal stage babies, it falls apart after that.

In the coming years, the age of viability will continue to drop as we continue to develop ever more freakish ways to mature a lifeform outside of its mother.

What then?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:11 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by CLpower
stalker much?
answer is in your pm

While your argument may hold up for 1st trimester pre-fetal stage babies, it falls apart after that.

In the coming years, the age of viability will continue to drop as we continue to develop ever more freakish ways to mature a lifeform outside of its mother.

What then?
Let us crack out our biology books!!!!!

Last edited by AcuraDriver2006; 10-19-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:12 PM
RAR

I no longer see how this is relevant.
Just an example how abortions can be abused when readily available.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

oh, i'm not advocating any kind of relief from pregnancy if it's after the 1st trimester, i think that's more than enough time to make a decision and act on it.

But i still don't feel that a fetus is a baby until it exists outside the womb.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Just an example how abortions can be abused when readily available.
You were saying how people might regret it afterwards, but I was arguing that you can't just find out you're pregnant, and walk in and have an abortion an hour later.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:28 PM
The Creator

oh, i'm not advocating any kind of relief from pregnancy if it's after the 1st trimester, i think that's more than enough time to make a decision and act on it.

But i still don't feel that a fetus is a baby until it exists outside the womb.
LOL

That's like saying you don't have something because you're hiding it behind your back.

I don't think "exists" is the right word. Obviously the fetus exists, its not just not there because you can't see it.

In anycase, I think I understand what you're saying. I'm simply pointing out that there are many instances where a fetus can live, develop, and mature without assistance from its mother or the safety of the womb.

In the future, the stage at which this can happen will likely continue to widen. As it is now, 24-weeks is the minimum length the baby needs to remain in the mother to remain viable.

In the future, technology could lessen this to maybe as little as 12 weeks (unlikely, but possible).

What then?

If this is what makes it OK for you, what then? If it's possible for the child to be viable in the 1st trimester, what then?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
And would you like to make this decision for every new life out there?

And what if they later realized that having this abortion was a mistake? Hmm I wonder if they could sue the state for not protecting the life of the child while they were under stress and duress and succumbed to a moment of weakness?
That does not hold up, because if they went and had an abortion, then regretted it later, dont you think that she could just get pregnant again. Its not like once you have an abortion, you can no longer have children.

How could someone be so selfish to bring a child into this world, that they have no means to care for and give 100% of what that child needs. So now you have a child, that does not get the attention he/she needs because the mother is alone and working 2 jobs.

What kind of affect do you think that is ultimatly gonna have on the child... Not a positive one, thats for sure.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL

That's like saying you don't have something because you're hiding it behind your back.

I don't think "exists" is the right word. Obviously the fetus exists, its not just not there because you can't see it.

In anycase, I think I understand what you're saying. I'm simply pointing out that there are many instances where a fetus can live, develop, and mature without assistance from its mother or the safety of the womb.

In the future, the stage at which this can happen will likely continue to widen. As it is now, 24-weeks is the minimum length the baby needs to remain in the mother to remain viable.

In the future, technology could lessen this to maybe as little as 12 weeks (unlikely, but possible).

What then?

If this is what makes it OK for you, what then? If it's possible for the child to be viable in the 1st trimester, what then?
You argue that abortion is unnatural...an unborn child living outside its mother's womb is much more unnatural.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

being kept alive via machines and modern medicine doesn't equate with age of viability for me.

so i don't think that future medical advancement will have any effect on my view.

my previous statement that you quoted would have been made clearer had i included the caveat that the baby must exist on it's own outside the womb.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:40 PM
The Creator

You argue that abortion is unnatural...an unborn child living outside its mother's womb is much more unnatural.
Oh I agree completely, no questions there. EXCEPT, premature birth is a completely natural occurence and does happen at early stages in some instances.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:41 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
That does not hold up, because if they went and had an abortion, then regretted it later, dont you think that she could just get pregnant again. Its not like once you have an abortion, you can no longer have children.

How could someone be so selfish to bring a child into this world, that they have no means to care for and give 100% of what that child needs. So now you have a child, that does not get the attention he/she needs because the mother is alone and working 2 jobs.

What kind of affect do you think that is ultimatly gonna have on the child... Not a positive one, thats for sure.
You cant speak for all mothers just like you cant speak for all children in those situations.

If I can come up with one instance where a mother doesnt forever regret that child they aborted when they were younger and more irresponsible or maybe I could point out that that poor child who doesnt get 100% of what he needs here in the US is still 1000 times better off than millions of ethiopian kids.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Oh I agree completely, no questions there. EXCEPT, premature birth is a completely natural occurence and does happen at early stages in some instances.
Yeah, but well after the time that SHOULD be allowed for abortion.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

You cant speak for all mothers just like you cant speak for all children in those situations.

If I can come up with one instance where a mother doesnt forever regret that child they aborted when they were younger and more irresponsible or maybe I could point out that that poor child who doesnt get 100% of what he needs here in the US is still 1000 times better off than millions of ethiopian kids.
Your right, niether can you! You cannot say that abortions should be illegal. Its not your right to choose for other people. You know dont their situations.

I know for a fact that they always regret it. But then soon after realize that it was better off.

And were not in or even talking about Ethiopian children, so that point is moot.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 PM
The Creator

being kept alive via machines and modern medicine doesn't equate with age of viability for me.

so i don't think that future medical advancement will have any effect on my view.

my previous statement that you quoted would have been made clearer had i included the caveat that the baby must exist on it's own outside the womb.
Huh? That's ridiculous.

It's not being "kept alive" on machines permanently like some vegetable.

It's simply being incubated, kept safe, until it is a healthy infant.

This is a common thing. Slightly un-natural that were able to do it, but if and when the day comes that you have a child you will thank god for the ability for it to become a healthy person even if it is naturally born premature.

There are also instances where the woman will WANT the child but is incapable of carrying it past an early stage. If future medicine is able to relieve the mother of that burden and carry the child to maturity then how can you not change your view to the flip side?

I think it's very narrow to say that "viability" isn't count for premature babies just because modern medicine makes it possible.

Especially when 1 in every 8 of us here are here today because of this capability.

So again, what I'm saying is, when the day comes that the possibility of viability outside of the womb in the 1st or early 2nd trimester is here... what then?

It destroys your statement that it's not killing a life, a human, if it is done before it's viable...

Because today's viable is already much wider a window than yesterdays, and tomorrows will be infinitely more promising for premature babies.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:50 PM
The Creator

Yeah, but well after the time that SHOULD be allowed for abortion.
Agreed 100%.

I'm only speaking hypothetically towards the question... how late is too late for abortion?

In the future, it will be even less of a window before life is viable. So if you use the "its not a baby outside the womb" argument... well... you know...
Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Agreed 100%.

I'm only speaking hypothetically towards the question... how late is too late for abortion?

In the future, it will be even less of a window before life is viable. So if you use the "its not a baby outside the womb" argument... well... you know...
I think past the first trimester is a stretch.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
The Creator

I think past the first trimester is a stretch.
Agreed. I think outside 3 days from when you find out your pregnant is a stretch.

(Yes I know some women, especially lil girls who shouldnt be getting pregnant in the first place, don't find out their pregnant until rather late. I'm speaking towards the average who find out within the first 4-5 weeks tops).
Old 10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

adam, regardless of what medical technology makes possible in the future, i will always fully support first trimester abortions. I feel that these procedures when done with proper precaution/forethought provide potential life saving benefits to both mom/dad and unborn child.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
You are confusing science with religion here. The though is that a fetus in the 1st trimester doesn't have a soul.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

There is Whiskers! Now where is my favorite moderator Ric should chime in

It seems like we have 2 admins here; one's pro-life and one's pro-choice
Old 10-19-2006, 04:01 PM
The Creator

adam, regardless of what medical technology makes possible in the future, i will always fully support first trimester abortions. I feel that these procedures when done with proper precaution/forethought provide potential life saving benefits to both mom/dad and unborn child.
As will I. Nonetheless, that's not what I was disputing here.

I was simply questioning your reasoning that only Viability == Baby, especially when that reasoning didn't seem to be factoring in early prematurity - something that happens today and can produce more than "viable" children.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

The saying "shit happens, now man up and deal with" just does not hold any amount of water in this debate.

I know that I was not ready at all when i was 18, neither was the girl I was with (whome is now my wife and we have a beautiful daughter together). Do I regret it, well of coarse. But when I was 18 I was no where near ready for a child. i could not have given him/her the life that him/her would require.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
There is Whiskers! Now where is my favorite moderator Ric should chime in

Ric knows all...
Old 10-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

What amazes me the most is the fact that this thread has gone 16 pages without going offtrack and threatened of getting locked..
Old 10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

As will I. Nonetheless, that's not what I was disputing here.

I was simply questioning your reasoning that only Viability == Baby, especially when that reasoning didn't seem to be factoring in early prematurity - something that happens today and can produce more than "viable" children.
a premature baby can generally breath on it's own, hence it is viable by my definition.....

i guess this does become a bit foggy with your prediction of greatly improved viability from very premature babies, however I still would support the decision to abort within the first trimester.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:11 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What then?

good point
Old 10-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt

really? who's the pro-lifer?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:13 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a line to be drawn somewhere, we will just never agree on where it is. I suppose the easiest line to draw is right at birth, so thats how we do it.

I think most would support moving that line to just before the third trimester, but the hardcore pro-choice advocates will reject it in fear of a slippery slope.