Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Would you abort a pregnancy?
Pro-choice
60.51%
Pro-life
16.92%
Depends
22.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
Not even a 3 months old baby can make decisions.. so the statement is pretty irrelevant.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:17 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by SwervinCL
I agree. The better option is adoption, BUT its hard for a woman to go through 9 months of labor, and just give the kid away. I was fortunate that my birth mother was able to make that decision and give me up for adoption.
Would you have supported your birth mother's choice to abort you? You're probably pretty damn lucky abortion wasnt so prevailant then.

All of you can ask yourself this same damn question.

As for the debate on when/if the fetus is alive or not, none of that matters. It will be alive. It will be sentient. It will be human. With the 'its not alive at that point' rationalization, i could say that a newborn is no different than a dog or monkey in capabilities and thought, and therefor killing one or the other is no different. So when is it exactly? Is it only until after a certain stage in mental development when that infant exceeds animals that it is 'alive'? or perhaps, its only when you see it, that it becomes real?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
I thinkTheMainEvEnt meant to say that "Even a 3 months old baby canNOT make decisions...."

I'm not sure I agree with that. My 4 month old makes choices of what he will and will not cry, smile or laugh at, and he started doing that a while ago.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by leedogg
Would you have supported your birth mother's choice to abort you? You're probably pretty damn lucky abortion wasnt so prevailant then.

As for the debate on when/if the fetus is alive or not, none of that matters. It will be alive. It will be sentient. It will be human. With the 'its not alive at that point' rationalization, i could say that a newborn is no different than a dog or monkey in capabilities and thought, and therefor killing one or the other is no different. So when is it exactly? Is it only until after a certain stage in mental development when that infant exceeds animals that it is 'alive'? or perhaps, its only when you see it, that it becomes real?
My answer is yes. If my mom was unable to support me or herself during pregnancy, I rather her have the abortion than sacraficing her future for me.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
My answer is yes. If my mom was unable to support me or herself during pregnancy, I rather her have the abortion than sacraficing her future for me.
Brave of you to say that.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
You're probably pretty damn lucky abortion wasnt so prevailant then.
how on earth can you make this statement? He NEVER would have been a person, he would not have existed, it's got nothing to do with him, or luck.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

amen

i could not agree more!!!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 PM
The Boss

whoa whoa, whoa whoa, whoa whoa whoa... hold on there buddy.

An newly born infant is not in the same category as a cat or a dog. You don't go to jail for putting a cat to sleep or decides to kill a dog. But you WILL go to jail for throwing an infant off a bridge or into a dumpster.
I don't think you understand what we're trying to tell you here......
Point is, we're saying, Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, we should leave the decisions ultimately up to those who are pregnant. You're just a bystander and should NOT be telling them what to do. It's not your baby, you're not going to help them raise the kid should they decide to have it.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:48 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So easy to say right now. Do you really value your life that little?

What if your mom could have had you, but she had to make sacrifices like work a bit more, maybe cut down on booze and cigarettes, maybe not go out partying with her friends? Would her partying with her friends be worth more than the person you have become?

What about the option of you still being born and being adopted, would you not choose that over death?

It takes alot for us to overcome our basic instinc of survival, so I have a hard time beleiving you would so easily give up your life when there are so many other options.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
RAR

And I would rather my mom gave me up for adoption. Fortunately we, as sentient beings can choose and make this decision. The basic fundamental breakdown of an abortion is that it places the right to choose of the adult over the future right to choose of that child's. Which comes down to my earlier example illustrating at what point do we determine that that new being has the right to live?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
agreed 100%
Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey rainman, you could say that, but it's retarded.

And what are you saying about our mothers and abortions? You say it as if everyone here was unplanned...
Old 10-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree. leedog and fdl argue "wouldn't you rather be alive," but that's just it, we wouldn't be alive to think that so it wouldn't fucking matter.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
You're just a bystander and should NOT be telling them what to do. It's not your baby, you're not going to help them raise the kid should they decide to have it.

Should society be able to tell her what to do 1 minute after the baby is born? Its really hard to draw a line. I think most of us would look down on an abortion in the 3rd trimester. BUt where can we draw a line? What is the difference between 1 minute after birth and one minute before? 1 hour before? One day before, etc.

There are no easy answers here.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
"wouldn't you rather be alive," but that's just it, we wouldn't be alive to think that so it wouldn't fucking matter.
exactamundo.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I agree. leedog and fdl argue "wouldn't you rather be alive," but that's just it, we wouldn't be alive to think that so it wouldn't fucking matter.

Of course it matters. Its about a world with TME vs a World without TME. I think it matters to TME and the people she impacts. Once fertilization occurs, we can say with relative certainty things are in motion to bring her into this world and abortion is changing that.

Does it really matter if we kill a new born? I mean really...if its quick and painless...does it really matter? Its alot easier than killing a 10 year old, with a personality and whose become part of the world.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fdl
Of course it matters. Its about a world with TME vs a World without TME. I think it matters to TME and the people she impacts. Once fertilization occurs, we can say with relative certainty things are in motion to bring her into this world and abortion is changing that.

Does it really matter if we kill a new born? I mean really...if its quick and painless...does it really matter? Its alot easier than killing a 10 year old, with a personality and whose become part of the world.
The fact remains that if she had never been born in the first place, we wouldn't have ever known this world with her. Therefore we could not compare a world with or without TME - she just wouldn't exist.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
The only abortion I'm fully against is partial birth abortions unless there is something really wrong with the fetus (like its going to die anyway). I figure you got that far, might as well have it and give it up for adoption if you don't want it.

All the information I've seen on partial birth abortion has me convinced that you are killing a living child, not a "thing".

The other types of abortions I'm undecided on, mainly because I haven't decided when life really begins. Perhaps for me it is when brain functions begins it should be considered a child and not a "thing" to dispose.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally Posted by fdl
Of course it matters. Its about a world with TME vs a World without TME.
how can it matter if she never came to be? I don't see how some of you can attach these human feelings of fairness and choice to someting that has yet to exist without being a part of another person...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Obviously if you didnt exist you couldn't think about it. But you do exist so you can think about it. If given the opportunity to exist or not exist, how could you possibly choose to not exist. Thats crazy.

Would you be ok with your brother or sister not existing, as long as it happened before birth? Would it make a difference, or is it still a loss to society. I'd like to beleive the world is better with me in it.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fdl

What if your mom could have had you, but she had to make sacrifices like work a bit more, maybe cut down on booze and cigarettes, maybe not go out partying with her friends? Would her partying with her friends be worth more than the person you have become?
I'm not saying you actively believe/think like this all the time, I'm sure you realize there are many different situations,
but
that's part of the "stigma" surrounding pregnancy and the options that really doesn't help. For everyone saying that it's so simple to just don't do those things, scrape by on whatever money you have, and go it alone if you have to, but for god sake, don't KILL the baby...
it's not that simple
Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally Posted by fdl
Obviously if you didnt exist you couldn't think about it. But you do exist so you can think about it. If given the opportunity to exist or not exist, how could you possibly choose to not exist. Thats crazy.

Would you be ok with your brother or sister not existing, as long as it happened before birth? Would it make a difference, or is it still a loss to society. I'd like to beleive the world is better with me in it.

but we are not the ones who ever think about it. the potential parents think about it, and make their decision. There are some of you saying the child would never choose t end it's own life, but the child never existed, this is a choice that only the parents make, nothing else comes into play.

Sure i'd be ok if my sister never existed, i wouldn't have had her to ever compare against....it's only when you start applying personal experience/hopes/wishes to these unborn babies that things get confusing
Old 10-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fdl

We would not be able to even ask the question "would you be ok with your brother or sister not existing" because they would have never existed. It's an unfair question to ask now because they do exist and we know them. But it would make no difference had we never known them and they not existed at all...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:18 PM
The Creator

This is silly at this point.

Both sides of this "argument" have extreme views and absolutely no desire to understand the other side. Shit, I think Astro even said that upfront. He will NEVER agree with a point of view other than his own.

So why do we argue?

I think the statements by all parties here very clearly demonstrate why it is sooo important for individuals to have the RIGHT to choose. Everyone will choose different because everyone has different beliefs, morals, feelings, and situations.

Life begins at conception. There is no questioning that, like it or not. Nevertheless, it is your own choice to believe it or to act upon that life in the manner you see fit.

This is why we have the right to choose and should maintain it.

Ignorance and a closed mind will get us nowhere.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:24 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

We would not be able to even ask the question "would you be ok with your brother or sister not existing" because they would have never existed. It's an unfair question to ask now because they do exist and we know them. But it would make no difference had we never known them and they not existed at all...

Its the whole ignorance is bliss argument. If you dont know what you are missing, you dont suffer. While this is true, try and think outside of the box a little. Is it not better than you DO know them? If we look forward, is it not better that these people get a shot at life, or is it better that we never know them and are none the wiser.

I can sort of understand the argument that if the parents life will suffer such a great deal, then it is not worth it. But you are simply saying that before a baby is born they can be killed without consideration simply because we ahvent "known" them yet. I just cant buy into that.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 PM
RAR

Are you able to think abstractly here? Lets go back in time, you are the sentient representation of that future zigot, fetus, whatever. Your mom is debating whether to abort your ass because life will become too tough for her, she wont be able to party anymore and guys wont want to be with her anymore or whatever (you think this issue will only impact poor single moms? ha). What do you think? Go for it mom, I support your right to choose, there is no possible way for me to live?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Both sides of this "argument" have extreme views and absolutely no desire to understand the other side. Shit, I think Astro even said that upfront. He will NEVER agree with a point of view other than his own.

So why do we argue?

I think the statements by all parties here very clearly demonstrate why it is sooo important for individuals to have the RIGHT to choose. Everyone will choose different because everyone has different beliefs, morals, feelings, and situations.

Life begins at conception. There is no questioning that, like it or not. Nevertheless, it is your own choice to believe it or to act upon that life in the manner you see fit.

I dont think anything can be "proven" in this debate. I.E there are no moral truths, or clear right and wrong answers so we just go in circles and nothing changes. A fruitless argument for sure, but its been interesting to see peoples insights and logic.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

So why do we argue?

That seems to be the thing that people question the most.

Originally Posted by fdl
Its the whole ignorance is bliss argument. If you dont know what you are missing, you dont suffer. While this is true, try and think outside of the box a little. Is it not better than you DO know them? If we look forward, is it not better that these people get a shot at life, or is it better that we never know them and are none the wiser.
There is no thinking outside the box had they never existed. Period. If they never exsited we would not be able to even have this arguement.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Are you able to think abstractly here? Lets go back in time, you are the sentient representation of that future zigot, fetus, whatever. Your mom is debating whether to abort your ass because life will become too tough for her, she wont be able to party anymore and guys wont want to be with her anymore or whatever (you think this issue will only impact poor single moms? ha). What do you think? Go for it mom, I support your right to choose, there is no possible way for me to live?
The thing you and fdl aren't getting that I keep repeating is that the only reason we can think abstractly is because we are here, because we were born. Yes, from our point of view now we are glad we are here. We could not think about that if we never were born though. There is no going back in time had we never been born, so it wouldn't affect our thinking now.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:34 PM
The Creator

That seems to be the thing that people question the most.
There is no question whatsoever. Scientifically, life has begun.

Whether its concious, whether its human, whether it can "feel"... whether its on the same level as a vegetable or a bacteria... that you can debate until your hearts content. Ultimately, that's a moral question one can only answer for themselves... as they should have the right to do.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 PM
The Boss

So why do we argue?
Very valid point, that is why I said
Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
Point is, we're saying, Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, we should leave the decisions ultimately up to those who are pregnant.

Originally Posted by fdl
So easy to say right now. Do you really value your life that little?
What about the option of you still being born and being adopted, would you not choose that over death?
It takes alot for us to overcome our basic instinc of survival, so I have a hard time beleiving you would so easily give up your life when there are so many other options.
I don't think she's trying to say she values her life too little. I think she means that she is willing to sacrafice her own life if her mom accidentally got pregnant. It's a self sacrafice a daughter is willing to make like a mother who is willing to sacrafice her life for her kids. If she wasn't born, we wouldn't know her today, it wouldn't make a difference in life. We just simply wouldn't know her, she just doesn't exist that's all.

And I would rather my mom gave me up for adoption. Fortunately we, as sentient beings can choose and make this decision. The basic fundamental breakdown of an abortion is that it places the right to choose of the adult over the future right to choose of that child's. Which comes down to my earlier example illustrating at what point do we determine that that new being has the right to live?
Your point is to live, you want to live. However, if she had an abortion, you wouldn't exist. Nobody would know you, there is no need for a future for you. You know what I mean? You woudn't exist and therefore you would have no friends and nobody cared about you. Yes, there would be things you could have made an impact in this world, but none of that would have mattered if your mother decided to have that abortion.

You can't be judging on things, AFTER THE FACT.
Originally Posted by fdl
Should society be able to tell her what to do 1 minute after the baby is born? Its really hard to draw a line. I think most of us would look down on an abortion in the 3rd trimester. BUt where can we draw a line? What is the difference between 1 minute after birth and one minute before? 1 hour before? One day before, etc.

There are no easy answers here.
Correct, there is no easy answers here. That is why the ABORTION issue is such an on going, endless debate here and in our society today.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

I dont believe that for a second. Unless you are suicidal. thats just self preservation there. Death or a chance(albeit not much of a chance). Logical sense would be to choose a chance.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The thing you and fdl aren't getting that I keep repeating is that the only reason we can think abstractly is because we are here, because we were born. Yes, from our point of view now we are glad we are here. We could not think about that if we never were born though. There is no going back in time had we never been born, so it wouldn't affect our thinking now.
Wow, thats just incredibly closed minded thinking. No offence, but have you ever studied ethics theory, maybe some philosophy, perhaps studied moral dilemmas?

Read this page and then get back to me. It may help you understand how we can argue abstractly.

http://www.miracosta.cc.ca.us/home/lmoon/ET.html
Old 10-19-2006, 01:43 PM
The Boss

Here is what I believe.

#1 I believe the pregnant woman should have the final say to what she wants to do with her baby. Have an abortion, have the baby and put him/her up for adoption, or simple keep the baby.

#2 People who are Pro-Life should stay home, voice their opinion like here online but stay the F* out of the abortion clinic. We don't need folks like you to give more stress to already troubled mothers.

#3 It's a moral issue. If you are Pro Choice and you think you should have the abortion, then do it. If you are Pro Life and think the baby should be saved, then when your pregnant or your significant other is pregnant, have the baby......

Bottom line is, don't tell other what to do. You're not perfect yourself, what made your decision and opinion more important then ones who carrying the child.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:45 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by atsxdude

I dont believe that for a second. Unless you are suicidal. thats just self preservation there. Death or a chance(albeit not much of a chance). Logical sense would be to choose a chance.
I know...

It's funny how the side saying you CAN'T argue abstractly is arguing abstractly
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Just because I think abortion isnt the right thing to do in most cases, doesnt mean I am not pro-choice. I think in many cases the woman should have the right to choose, even though I believe the chocie of abortion would be a bad one.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The most amazing thing about this discussion is that it has remained very civil I thought it would turn into a clusterfck of a thread.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Soopas right. This argument is gonna go in circles till the cows come home.

I just dont think its right for the pro-lifers to run around trying to make peoples decisions for them.

You have the extremists camping infront of abortion clinics taunting signs and what not. How is that right of them to do? Its not their body, its not their emotions. They have a right to be there, but the woman that is going to have an abortion also has rights to have her abortion, in which they are infringing on her rights. Dont you think she is going through enough mental anguish.

To Lee, If my mother would have aborted me, my part of this debate would be moot, and wouldnt matter because I wouldnt be here. But I was also born when Abortions were more looked down upon then they are now.

But if you are one young woman and get pregnant and the father leaves. What are you gonna do? How can you possibly "make it work"?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
The most amazing thing about this discussion is that it has remained very civil I thought it would turn into a clusterfck of a thread.

For once. This is amazing!!!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
But if you are one young woman and get pregnant and the father leaves. What are you gonna do? How can you possibly "make it work"?
This is how I read TME's staement. She'd rather her mother choose to save her own life, rather than bring a child into the world without being ready, able, or capable of caring for it. And this is exactly my opinion too. I feel abortion is a better choice than attempting to raise a child alone, or without any stability.