Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Would you abort a pregnancy?
Pro-choice
60.51%
Pro-life
16.92%
Depends
22.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I meant to say largely "ones" morals, though obviously not always.

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
What does science have anything to do with anything in this discusion?

I guess you just dont understand because you have never been in those shoes.
Listen buddy, I don't need first hand experience to be able to tell what contributes largely to the debate.

My viewpoint is pro choice until science suggests the fetus has a developed brain. Many here seem to be using science to back up their pro choice stance, using it to classify when a fetus becomes an unborn child. So science clearly plays a large part.

On the other side of the spectrum, the pro lifers commonly refer to their religion in defense of their stance. I am again saying it is not always true, but the majority of the time it is.

The only thing you are accomplishing through your anecdotes is showing that your stances are not rock solid.

Mike

Last edited by crazymjb; 10-17-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:37 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Pro choice. It should be no ones decision other than the mother

...and her doctor. I think there are some situations, at least theoritically, where the doctor wont perform an abortion if he believes the mother will not survive.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
I meant to say largely "ones" morals, though obviously not always.

Listen buddy, I don't need first hand experience to be able to tell what contributes largely to the debate.

My viewpoint is pro choice until science suggests the fetus has a developed brain. Many here seem to be using science to back up their pro choice stance, using it to classify when a fetus becomes an unborn child. So science clearly plays a large part.

On the other side of the spectrum, the pro lifers commonly refer to their religion in defense of their stance. I am again saying it is not always true, but the majority of the time it is.

The only thing you are accomplishing through your anecdotes is showing that your stances are not rock solid.

Mike
I think that's part of the problem dude and the reason you think that you know what contributes to the debate. Unless you're in that situation, you really don't know what you're thinking. Because I truly think that when it comes down to it, people will assess your current situation in life, along with your "partner's" and then make a choice.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ You two are talking about two slightly different standpoints. crazy is referring to general feelings, pro and con, about abortion/choice. CUNext is referring to personal feelings on the subject. While each case and circumstances is different, generally (notice, I didn't say always) people base their stance on their views of science and/or religion.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by moeronn
^^ You two are talking about two slightly different standpoints. crazy is referring to general feelings, pro and con, about abortion/choice. CUNext is referring to personal feelings on the subject. While each case and circumstances is different, generally (notice, I didn't say always) people base their stance on their views of science and/or religion.
I guess I'm a lot less religious than most.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
I dont think its right for people that are pro-life to make the desicions of other people. They dont know everyones situations and for them to say that its not right to have abortions, I think are ignorant.

Think of the poor woman that gets raped and gets pregnant. Forced to have the kid because abortions are against the law. She now, has to look at the child that her bastard raper gave her. Im not saying that she is going to love that child any less, but that child is going to remind her of what happened every day of her life.
and how would that child feel growing up one day and finding out that his/her father was a rapist??? god i would be so pissed off...
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Probably... America has one of the largest religious followings of any civilized country... Being from New Jersey you are less likely to be from that demographic.

Even in a personal situation, don't your morals either say its murder or not, regardless of your choice. Obviously you may decide on one or the other, but your underlying feelings about whether you are actually taking the life of a human are still based on soul vs. body, correct?

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Probably... America has one of the largest religious followings of any civilized country... Being from New Jersey you are less likely to be from that demographic.

Even in a personal situation, don't your morals either say its murder or not, regardless of your choice. Obviously you may decide on one or the other, but your underlying feelings about whether you are actually taking the life of a human are still based on soul vs. body, correct?

Mike
Everyone loves to hate on Jersey huh? I was probably brought up more religious than most, but I quickly form my own thoughts and opinions.

All I'm saying is that when I was in that situation, I was not thinking about whether the baby was alive or not, but what kind of life it would be leading if I were his/her father. And unless you've been in that situation, you don't know what you'd think.

My choice to be pro-choice is not based upon science, though I may think differently if I were on the other side of the fence.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I wasn't hating on Jersey(at least not now), simply stating its not as religious as a lot of the Southern States.

Your personal situations are just that, personal. If I were to decide with a partner that I knocked up that it be best she get an abortion, I don't expect I'd be looking at the embrio as a baby, but rather still looking at it as if I had not yet gotten her pregnant. I assume many kids my age probably see the situation like that, afterall, how many step up to take responsibility?

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Pro-Choice
Old 10-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I wasn't hating on Jersey(at least not now), simply stating its not as religious as a lot of the Southern States.

Your personal situations are just that, personal. If I were to decide with a partner that I knocked up that it be best she get an abortion, I don't expect I'd be looking at the embrio as a baby, but rather still looking at it as if I had not yet gotten her pregnant. I assume many kids my age probably see the situation like that, afterall, how many step up to take responsibility?

Mike
I think guys step up to take responsibility, but often that responsibility is to abort. You probably know a few people that have gone through this, but this is something that is extremely personal and most people don't let other people know.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Where is my super sauce?

pro abortion

and...we've done this thread before
Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm not going to read 7 pages.. but I am adopted but I am still pro choice.. I got lucky and found a good family. I still think the woman should have the choice of doing it or not.. She still has to live with it in the back of her mind for the rest of her life (which should be "punishment" or not)
Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98CLChick
If a condom breaks, then take the morning after pill. I just don't see the sense in having an abortion when there are so many birth control options out there. Why punish something you've created because of your mistake?

I do understand the need for an abortion due to rape, health issues, etc....I don't think it should be used as a substitute to birth control
Yeah but some pharmacies won't dispense the morning-after pill, what with religious beliefs and all.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:51 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by Caliadria
I don't think most states require it. I mentioned parental consent because I'm talking about the days when NOBODY required it, when it was TOTALLY legal for all ages, and girls I knew wanted to take drastic measures anyway, on the off-chance their parents may find out.

IMO, making parental consent a law poses a lot more problems than it fixes.
Maybe, but who's liable if it gets f'ed up? You're dealing with a minor undergoing a surgical procedure, and you don't think Mom or Dad have the right to know? Hmmmmmm...
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
Maybe, but who's liable if it gets f'ed up? You're dealing with a minor undergoing a surgical procedure, and you don't think Mom or Dad have the right to know? Hmmmmmm...
Well yeah, that's the caveat.

But given the choice between a safe medical procedure performed in a regulated environment, and visiting a back alley to let Homeless Jim use his coat hanger, I'd prefer my daughter went to a clinic without my knowledge.

Not that my daughter will feel the need to hide it from me. I learned from my parents' mistakes.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:01 PM
I love cars!

Ther are just so many ins and outs...should a husband have a legal say whether wifey keeps the baby or not? Should a boyfriend have a say whether his cheating girlfriend keeps the baby (his? who knows...) that he'll be on the hook for the next 18 years? I dated a chick who got pregnant, and I didn't think it best for the cheating girl to keep it. We had the paternity test (she passed!) but the next year was tortuous because she was irresponsible... a college grad who **quit** working and got on welfare. We argued all the time and if I said the baby needed THIS, she would surely say he needed THAT....in this case it would've been better (for me and the peaceful environment) that we avoid sharing parenthood.
I HAD to keep working to pay her child support, but SHE didn't have to hold a job. I had ZERO say as to how she spent the child support cash or whether she worked....you BET I'm pro choice. Not everyone who CAN be a parent SHOULD be a parent. The child suffers through no fault of their own, and despite a dad's best effort, mom has complete control...scary! In my case, I ended up terminating my parental rights after his first b-day because we could agree on nothing except the sex we'd had, haha! I was NOT looking forward to the next 17 year ordeal that could've been prevented for the cost of an abortion, though I love my son dearly to this day.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Anyone seen my nuts?

This is a very delicate subject. I've always been pro-choice, mostly because I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone what they can or cannot do with their own body. In fact, I don't think men should have much, if any, say in the matter at all.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Slimey
pro abortion

and...we've done this thread before
I tried to search! But to no avail!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/pro-life-pro-choice-simple-thread-336410/ for one...but I think this topic comes up at least monthly. I got over 400 hits using the wonderful Search hyperlink on the term abortion.

Oh well...such is the nature of Acurazine. It's my fault for getting sucked in over and over and over and over again.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 98CLChick
<----Catholic

I think that birth control should be more readily available, esp. to those in urban, low income areas...I don't believe abortion should me used as a means to correct a "mistake."

I am kind of offended with that comment highlighted because black people are not the only ones that have abortions every race does that is kind of raciest comment in my opinion.

I am pro-choice
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach
I am kind of offended with that comment highlighted because black people are not the only ones that have abortions every race does that is kind of raciest comment in my opinion.

I am pro-choice
Black people also aren't the only ones in urban low-income areas.

I'm white as a snowflake and I spent most of my life in just that setting.

She also didn't say that low-income urbanites are the only ones having abortions. She simply said that birth control needs to be made more readily available to those who cannot afford it. How can you not wholeheartedly agree with that?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Doesn't matter. Personally, I think there are a lot of topics that can always be re-visited. It's not it's the same 10 people posting in here.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Didn't see her mention anything about black people in that post.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Who said anything about black people
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts

I am pro-choice
way to stereotype black people to only ones living in urban areas...
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
way to stereotype black people to only ones living in urban areas...

there are hispanics too, and we know they love abortions
Old 10-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I am pro-choice
Who's the racist here?? Nobody said anything about black, and thats immediatly where you took it... Its people like you that keep racism where its at now.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Caliadria
Man, I hope not. Even before parental consent became an issue, I can remember girls at my high school begging their boyfriends to punch them in the stomach, taking all sorts of weird herbal "medicines" and the like in order to "naturally" miscarry their pregnancies because they either didn't have the $400 to get an abortion, or didn't want their parents to ask why they were feeling under the weather.

:

I girl I knew of tried to drink the baby away...She didn't want to tell her parents she was knocked up...
it didn't work, but now she's raising a basically retarded child with a myriad of health/physical/mental problems....(fetal alcohol syndrome to the highest degree)
Old 10-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by imasquirrel
This is a very delicate subject. I've always been pro-choice, mostly because I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone what they can or cannot do with their own body. In fact, I don't think men should have much, if any, say in the matter at all.
I see where your coming from and I agree. No one should be able to tell them what to do, but on the flip side. If you agree to have a child and I dont agree, then I should not be liable to pay you child support either, because I was not invloved in that decision.

I just think that its unfair for a women to bring a child into this world, not tell the guy that the baby is his, then come after him for child support.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

If you agree to have a child and I dont agree, then I should not be liable to pay you child support either, because I was not invloved in that decision.

I just think that its unfair for a women to bring a child into this world, not tell the guy that the baby is his, then come after him for child support.

Exactly...until having a child can be uniformly a 50/50 committment/problem whatever...
It's strictly the woman's right to decide

it really sucks
Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by Andrea25
Exactly...until having a child can be uniformly a 50/50 committment/problem whatever...

it really sucks
Tell me about it..........
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrea25

it really sucks
Agreed.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

I am pro-choice

hahahahahaha

I, like everyone else, am calling you out on the black people comment.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Just for the record, an abortion won't run you that much. Maybe about $300-350. I do agree with what you said though.
Yea, where's it being done in an alley? That number is kinda low.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Yea, where's it being done in an alley? That number is kinda low.
Um, you want to see my receipt? A first trimester abortion varies from hm maybe $250-400.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

PS - The above price includes everything: antibiotics, shots, and counseling.

The price does go up as you get later into pregnancy...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
they're free up here in
Old 10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i dont like the idea of it but i dont want it to be made illegeal so people cant do it then you have even more abandoned children if someone already said that im sorry not reading 8 pages of this
Old 10-18-2006, 11:35 AM
50? you must be kidding!

It's not a decision any one should make except the woman and man involved in the pregnancy.