Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Would you abort a pregnancy?
Pro-choice
60.51%
Pro-life
16.92%
Depends
22.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone won this debate yet?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Pull_T
I don't think it's a debate so much as an opinion thread. If it were a debate, no one will really ever win.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Pull_T
There's no debate to be won really. We don't seem to have any pro-life extremists here, so most people seem to be somehwhat pro-choice...

It seems pretty unanimous that every situation is different and none of can really say what's best in any particular situation that doesn't concern us.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If anything, I think this decision should be taken out of the parents hands and put into the hands of some sortof medical review/child protective services committee.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by leedogg
If anything, I think this decision should be taken out of the parents hands and put into the hands of some sortof medical review/child protective services committee.
dude, you're crazy.

yeah, lets take the most personal, intimate decision a person could ever have to make, and put it in the hands of some cold stranger
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

You think the person to decide if a woman has an abortion or not should be made by someone who is not a parent? You serious?

What if a medical board decided that the rate of growth in the population was too high and every other male should be snipped....would you go for that? Or that only every 3rd person is entitled to have a surgury? Where would it stop? This a personal decision, not for a third party.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Are you serious?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM
The Boss

This is going to be on my signature as long as I live in AZ

WOW! CLASSIC! I want to remember this moment 1:13pm on Monday 10/23/2006.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
You've got to be kidding....

Are you the president of the ACLU as well?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:56 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by Astroboy
dude, you're crazy.

yeah, lets take the most personal, intimate decision a person could ever have to make, and put it in the hands of some cold stranger

I think you should apply to have your baby killed, which is reviewed and either granted or denied.

Last edited by leedogg; 10-23-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
^^^Look, I don't even know 100% where I stand on this issue. There are so many factors involved and parties affected by either choice. I just don't like how people can get an abortion because it's not "convenient" for them to have a baby at the current moment, or because they "don't feel like taking care of it" (easy way out kind of thing).

So what about all those parents that actually wanted kids and planned them out, but just suck at being parents (in CPS's views)?? Are we supposed to go around saying "you should have aborted that kid?"
No, but I often wish those parents were aborted before they had the chance to reproduce.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you should apply to have your baby killed, which is reviewed and either granted or denied.
I grant you, the world is overpopulated, but this is not the answer.

And we're debating rights regarding an embryo or fetus, not a baby.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

That would never work, ever.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

I dont think so........
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

Good luck with that one. No chance that would ever happen.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:05 PM

Why not just go to a modified version of China's old policy on children. They would only allow each family one child unless they received special permission from the government. How about we require all couples to receive permission to have any children?

Hopefully the sarcasm comes across without the red text.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by moeronn
Why not just go to a modified version of China's old policy on children. They would only allow each family one child unless they received special permission from the government. How about we require all couples to receive permission to have any children?

Hopefully the sarcasm comes across without the red text.
Sometimes, I think that that would not be a bad idea..... Especially nowadays.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:55 PM
RAR

You guys can scorn it all you want, but my biggest problem with abortion is that it will be desensitized to simply another form of birth control that can easily be abused. Some examples:

They dont want to use condoms or contraceptives
Its done without approval of both parents (i.e. the woman is getting back at the man or simply doesnt want the child even if the father does)
Pscyhological problems- Feel overwhelmed, depression, etc - which can be discovered and treated.
Pretty much any reason that doesnt provide a compelling reason for an abortion.

Now if they are rejected for an abortion, a possible recourse could always be adoption.

Last edited by leedogg; 10-23-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^But you say it like it's just a pill you pop. It's a surgical procedure; there's nothing casual about it!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

You guys can scorn it all you want, but my biggest problem with abortion is that it will be desensitized to simply another form of birth control that can easily be abused. Some examples:

Its done without approval of both parents (i.e. the woman is getting back at the man or simply doesnt want the child even if the father does)
Pscyhological problems- Feel overwhelmed, depression, etc - which can be discovered and treated.

Now if they are rejected for an abortion, a possible recourse could always be adoption.
Might as well make couples pass an examination before they're allowed to reproduce if they wants kids.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fast-tl
^^But you say it like it's just a pill you pop. It's a surgical procedure; there's nothing casual about it!
True, but that girl Ravi mentioned that had 3 before she was 21 didn't seem to be too concerned
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
It is commendable that you would accept the responsibility though.
Thanks, I mean at 19 I might have felt different, but now I have a job, money, house, etc and would man up even if it was unplanned.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
Thanks, I mean at 19 I might have felt different, but now I have a job, money, house, etc and would man up even if it was unplanned.
Ding, ding, ding! That is the whole point. YOU feel this way NOW. What I think most of us are saying it that each person should make their own choice when they are faced with the situation.

As for someone who has had three by the time they turned 21? I wouldn't feel too bad if the doctor "fixed" the plumbing while he was in there the last time.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
RAR

So is liposuction & breast enhancements. The fact that its a surgical procedure is yet another reason for it to be reviewed and approved. Is the life & health of the mother and/or child in danger? Yes or no.

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Might as well make couples pass an examination before they're allowed to reproduce if they wants kids.

Having and or wanting to have kids is different than wanting to kill a kid. You're acting like its a fundamental right to kill your baby or something. Its a big goddamn deal to kill a life form, and I want it to stay that way. I want people forced to accept responsibility for their actions when then can and should. Sorry, no easy McBortion for you.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^^Sounds AWWWFULLY Democratic to me. Tell me, how far should that extend? Who will be responsible to ensure your responsibility for your actions?
Being a Republican, I want as little gov't intrusion into my life as possible, especially where it concerns my reproductive options. Can you elaborate on HOW this review board would work? What types of questions ensure that a woman "deserved" her abortion? Who would "review the reviewers" to ensure they were objective and without ulterior motive. Who would the reviewers be?
Leedogg, I don't think you've thought this one out. What's next? Gov't review of our spending habits and forcing me to be responsible and buy soda instead of beer?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Having and or wanting to have kids is different than wanting to kill a kid. You're acting like its a fundamental right to kill your baby or something. Its a big goddamn deal to kill a life form, and I want it to stay that way. I want people forced to accept responsibility for their actions when then can and should. Sorry, no easy McBortion for you.
I wasn't serious about making people be approved to have kids, just merely showing you how absurd I think your idea is.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

leedog: I believe you're taking this whole abortion issue out of context.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Then you would find even more babies in the dumpster, but you must think that is a better alternative!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Suzuka Master

You will never stop women from aborting children, so would you rather let them make that choice themselves, or limit it to cases where some judge or panel deems it "necessary."

You do not want to see women self-aborting....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^Sounds AWWWFULLY Democratic to me. Tell me, how far should that extend? Who will be responsible to ensure your responsibility for your actions?
Being a Republican, I want as little gov't intrusion into my life as possible, especially where it concerns my reproductive options. Can you elaborate on HOW this review board would work? What types of questions ensure that a woman "deserved" her abortion? Who would "review the reviewers" to ensure they were objective and without ulterior motive. Who would the reviewers be?
Leedogg, I don't think you've thought this one out. What's next? Gov't review of our spending habits and forcing me to be responsible and buy soda instead of beer?
Kind of surprised to read that. Most Republicans I've run into are pro-lifers. Maybe that's because they're also ultra-conservative, family-values types too.

As for myself, I'm one of those boring, middle-of-the-road "independents."

You do not want to see women self-aborting....
Why not? Maybe it'll make them think twice next time, if there's anything left in there at all.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
a girl with an acura...

Birth control pills from Planned Parenthood are less than $10 a month.
No, they aren't. They are $25 a month, just slightly cheaper than a pharmacy. I just bought 4 packs, it was $100.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wickedlysane
No, they aren't. They are $25 a month, just slightly cheaper than a pharmacy. I just bought 4 packs, it was $100.
I forgot to mention that they are cheaper at PPH for high school students. My girlfriend in high school got them for $8 or $9 a pack...not sure how the price changes after that.

Wouldn't the price at the pharmacy depend on your insurance?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 PM
a girl with an acura...

I forgot to mention that they are cheaper at PPH for high school students. My girlfriend in high school got them for $8 or $9 a pack...not sure how the price changes after that.

Wouldn't the price at the pharmacy depend on your insurance?
of course, but I am uninsured, so for me, a pharmacy would be $30-40 bucks a month.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

You can have my insurance I rarely go to the doctor.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Its a big damn deal to kill a life form, and I want it to stay that way. I want people forced to accept responsibility for their actions when then can and should. Sorry, no easy McBortion for you.

....my wife is ~ 16 weeks with a baby we really did not plan on (us=late 30s, current kids=mid teens, with college and retirement being diligently worked on). We look forward to our mid-life parenting. Although we are currently the parents of teens, this one has almost a novel, first time feel to it.

We have a 4D ultrasound scheduled for mid-November.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Then you would find even more babies in the dumpster, but you must think that is a better alternative!
First off, I dont buy that. There may be the odd case but I think it would still be rare.

But in any case, I guess having the baby chopped up and sucked out by a vacuum in the 3rd trimester is alot more humane that being dumped into a dumpster.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4

....my wife is ~ 16 weeks with a baby we really did not plan on (us=late 30s, current kids=mid teens, with college and retirement being diligently worked on). We look forward to our mid-life parenting. Although we are currently the parents of teens, this one has almost a novel, first time feel to it.

We have a 4D ultrasound scheduled for mid-November.
Congrats. After my kid, I finally realized what truth lies in the saying...."Life is what happens when you're too busy planning everything."
Old 10-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Congrats. After my kid, I finally realized what truth lies in the saying...."Life is what happens when you're too busy planning everything."
Thank you. That saying is SO true on SO MANY levels!!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I recall when my mother recommended an abortion soon after she found out that I (then 20 y/o, college student, zero income, no savings) got my girlfriend (19 y/o, fairly recent immigrant, college student, zero income, small savings) pregnant.

Although I was an agnostic, pro choice liberal back then, I was still personally against abortion and decided against my mother's recommendation (although I briefly considered it). The idea just did not sit well for me. (Maybe this was a sign that being a somewhat conservative, Born Again follower of Christ was in my future. )

Fast forward to 2006: I have been married to that 'girlfriend' for 16 1/2 years and have an AWESOME 16 y/o son (who happens to know more about cars than yours truly), a TERRIFIC 14 y/o daughter (who I suspect may have a future in US politics), and a surprise blessing on the way. (When I look at my son, I literally shed a tear when I think that abortion was even a consideration.)

The road I traveled has not been easy but, it was/is well worth the trip.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F23A4
(When I look at my son, I literally shed a tear when I think that abortion was even a consideration.)

I can imagine.

I just found out that my friend and his wife are having trouble having a child. They have been trying for a couple of years now, but apparently there is a problem with her. They are now contemplating finding an egg donor, and are both pretty down about the whole situation.

The sad twist,.. is that my friends wife had been pregnant before, and had an abortion.