Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 Rl Pics

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=219695
Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

New York 04/07/2004 -- Powertrain
1. World's first Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive System(TM) (SH-AWD(TM))
2. 3.5 liter VTEC V-6 engine
3. 300 horsepower
4. 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted F1(R)-style paddle shifters
5. LEV2-ULEV emissions system

Body/Chassis
1. 4-wheel independent double-wishbone suspension
2. 4-wheel disc brakes with 4-piston calipers and slotted rotors
3. 20-inch alloy wheels with 255/35R20 Michelin high performance tires
4. Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), which features low beams that swivel based on steering wheel input for increased illumination
5. Aluminum and high tensile steel construction

Interior
1. AcuraLink(TM) Satellite-Based Communication System
2. Leather - trimmed interior
3. Genuine wood trim
4. Acura/Bose(R) DVD-Audio system
5. HandsFreeLink' wireless telephone interface
6. XM(R) Satellite Radio
7. OnStar(R) service
8. Acura Keyless Access System(TM)

Safety
1. Advanced Compatibility Engineering(TM) (ACE(TM)) body structure
2. Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA(R))
3. Front, side and side curtain air bag systems

Dimensions
1. Length - 193.5 inches, 4915mm
2. Width - 72.6 inches, 1845 mm
3. Height - 57.1 inches, 1450 mm
4. Wheelbase - 110.2 inches, 2800 mm
Old 04-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

ADAPTIVE NAVIGATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acura Debuts AcuraLink(TM) Satellite-Linked Communication System with Industry's First Standard Real Time Traffic Feature at New York International Auto Show
RL Prototype Features Up-To-The-Minute Traffic Info Integrated into Navigation System

New York 04/07/2004 -- The Acura RL Prototype debuted today at the New York International Auto Show equipped with the new AcuraLink Satellite-Based Communications System, which delivers state-of-the art in-vehicle communication and the first North American application of a standard real time traffic information system that puts continuously updated accident, construction and flow (where available) information at the driver's fingertips.

The AcuraLink real time traffic feature is the first to offer personalized traffic information relative to the driver's current location and destination. The frequently updated traffic information is displayed graphically on the RL's navigation system allowing drivers to avoid congestion and minimize drive time.

"Since the average rush hour commuter spends over 50 hours a year sitting in traffic, this system gives RL owners a real advantage on the freeways," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president, sales. "Unlike radio or television traffic reports, the RL's real time traffic system
provides a constant flow of relevant information reflecting conditions along a driver's chosen route. It really should save people a lot of time and aggravation."

AcuraLink's real time traffic feature, utilizing the XM NavTraffic service, provides traffic information for freeways in 20 major metropolitan areas including Los Angeles, New York, Detroit and Chicago with coverage slated to expand to other cities as traffic information in those cities becomes available. Flow, accident and construction information is aggregated by NAVTEQ(TM), the leading global provider of digital map data for vehicle navigation systems, from multiple sources including local police and transportation departments. It is then delivered to XM and transmitted by XM's satellites to the RL Prototype's navigation system where it is displayed on the map. Accident and flow information are updated continuously, allowing drivers to avoid congestion en route and pick the fastest path to their destination.

AcuraLink is the first satellite-based telematics system for passenger cars with broadcast capabilities. Utilizing XM(R) Satellite Radio satellites, AcuraLink delivers an assortment of services including maintenance reminders and engine diagnostic information directly to the car. It works seamlessly with the RL Prototype's HandsFreeLink(TM)wireless telephone interface to allow drivers to respond to these services and one-touch-dial Acura dealers, and Acura Roadside Assistance (TLC) assistance using a compatible Bluetooth phone.

AcuraLink will be standard on the 2005 RL when it debuts this fall. The XM NavTraffic service will be offered on a subscription basis for a nominal fee following a free trial period. Exact pricing information will be announced this fall.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
exterior looks like a camry Doesnt look 50k worth.

But interior is DOPE!!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha it comes stock w/ 20's... jeese. I like the body styling better than the new TL's at least.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Official Press Release

Acura Prototype RL Makes World Debut at New York International Auto Show
Car Features Revolutionary All-Wheel-Drive System and Real Time Traffic Capability

Downloads

Text only
AcuraRLPrototype.doc 120k

New York 04/07/2004 -- The Acura Prototype RL luxury performance sedan made its world debut today at the New York International Auto Show. With a 300 horsepower VTEC V-6 engine, a revolutionary all-wheel-drive system, dynamic styling and breakthrough technology, including real time traffic information, the RL Prototype is designed to redefine the luxury performance sedan category. The RL Prototype provides a preview of the direction in which Acura is taking the all-new 2005 RL luxury performance sedan, which will be introduced this fall.

"The RL Prototype really makes a statement about Acura's focus on performance," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president, sales. "When you combine the high output engine, the sport tuned chassis and Acura's revolutionary all-wheel-drive system, you get a driving experience that other cars in its class just cannot match."

The Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive System' (SH-AWD') is the first and only all-wheel-drive platform that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels. During straight line cruising and moderate cornering, up to 70 percent of torque is at the front wheels. During full throttle acceleration or spirited driving, up to 70 percent of available torque goes to the rear wheels for increased acceleration and enhanced cornering. In addition to varying the torque front to rear, SH-AWD varies the amount of torque to the left and right rear wheels. When cornering, this ground-breaking technology overdrives the outer rear wheel, sending up to 100 percent of rear torque to that wheel to dramatically enhance the RL's cornering, steering feel, handling and stability. The result is class-leading cornering performance and cornering stability as well as enhanced traction on dry or wet surfaces.

The RL Prototype's 3.5-liter, 24-valve, all-aluminum VTEC engine generates 300 horsepower and meets LEV2-ULEV emissions standards. It is mated to a 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic transmission that enables gears to be shifted using the shift lever on the center console or with the F1"-type paddle shifters located on the steering wheel.

To further complement the high output engine and all-wheel-drive system, Acura gave the RL Prototype a highly rigid unit body that is lightweight due in large part to aluminum construction of the sub frame, suspension, hood, trunk, and front fenders.

The RL Prototype is the first Acura equipped with the Advanced Compatibility Engineering' (ACE') body structure, designed to enhance passenger safety. ACE uses a new frame structure that helps to disperse collision forces over a larger frontal area than in non ACE-equipped vehicles. The system helps deliver even better protection for vehicle occupants while at the same time reducing aggressivity toward other vehicles in a frontal collision.

The RL Prototype's lightweight chassis and 4-wheel independent suspension components are tuned to complement the SH-AWD system and deliver a linear cornering feel, optimum cornering traction and a smooth ride. The 20-inch alloy wheels are shod with 255/35R20 Michelin high performance tires that fill the wheel wells and add to the RL Prototype's aggressive stance. Large brakes with 4-piston brake calipers and slotted rotors provide optimum stopping power.

The RL's sleek exterior styling reflects the power under the hood. It is shorter, and wider than the current RL with a wide, muscular stance, yet offers more passenger volume than the current model. In front, a dramatically sloping hood leads down to an aggressive front fascia with angular headlight treatments, a signature Acura five-sided grill and distinctive lower air intake openings. A sleek cockpit, a forward sloping beltline and a short deck lid accent the RL Prototype's pronounced wedge shape, making it look fast from any angle.

The RL Prototype features the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) for increased illumination and visibility. The low beams swivel up to 20 degrees in either direction in response to vehicle speed and input from the steering wheel. During straight-line driving the headlights perform like conventional systems by illuminating the road directly in front of the vehicle. When entering a curve, they swivel according to steering input and vehicle speed sensors to illuminate a larger area of road surface throughout the corner, thus minimizing blind spots.

Inside, the RL Prototype is as luxurious as it is sporty. The interior features rich leather, genuine wood trim, an assortment of leading-edge technology and, for the first time in a North American vehicle, standard real time traffic information integrated into a new in-car satellite-based navigation system featuring AcuraLink'. Utilizing the XM NavTraffic service beamed from XM's satellites, the RL Prototype's 8-inch navigation screen can display a variety of up-to-the-minute traffic information where available including flow (traffic speed), accidents, and construction on freeways in 20 major metro areas including Los Angeles, New York and Chicago. Flow and accident information are updated continuously, allowing drivers to take the least congested route to their destination.

In addition to enabling the real time traffic feature, the AcuraLink Satellite-Based Communication System allows for communication between Acura and the vehicle, providing customers with the latest diagnostic information specific to their vehicle as well as vehicle-related messages. Because it is linked to the car's HandsFreeLink' wireless telephone interface, drivers can respond to messages or one-touch-dial Acura dealers and Acura Roadside Assistance (TLC) using their Bluetooth phone.

The RL Prototype also features a premium 10-speaker Acura/Bose(R) DVD-Audio system, tuned to deliver surround sound to all seating positions.

The RL Prototype is the first vehicle equipped with the Acura Keyless Access System', which allows owners to lock and unlock doors, open the trunk, and start the car without using a key.

The RL Prototype incorporates an assortment of the latest safety systems and devices including a full complement of front, side and side curtain air bags, as well as Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA').

Acura offers a full line of premium performance vehicles through a nationwide network of 260 dealers. The Acura lineup features six distinctive models including the exotic NSX supercar, the RL luxury performance sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan, the race-bred RSX sports coupe, and the award-winning MDX luxury sport utility vehicle.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by derelict
haha it comes stock w/ 20's... jeese

this is the prototype....dunno if production will be that way....although that'd be
Old 04-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Suzuka Master

I like the location of the idrive thing. inverted navi colors look good. brakes look awesome. rear kinda looks bland.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

HMm that navi screen is kinda far to reach if its still a touch screen, might not since it has that knob like a i-drive
Old 04-07-2004, 10:54 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
my next car won't be an Acura
Old 04-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by 1killercls
my next car won't be an Acura
y?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
HMm that navi screen is kinda far to reach if its still a touch screen, might not since it has that knob like a i-drive

RL drivers wanna chill.....reaching would qualify as tooo much activity
Old 04-07-2004, 10:57 AM
The hair says it all

the only word to describe the exterior is "meh," theres something about the headlights that looks budget, i dont know what it is

the interior, on the other side, looks hot
Old 04-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-07-2004, 11:00 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

where's the V8? How's this car going to compete with the Q45 or the LS430 ??? Not a chance Acura.

The price is a good start but the styling is all too Camry looking. Acura needs to take some chances and make a car that will kcik them up in the ideals of luxury cars like Lexus has done so well at.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by Zapata
y?
I am just nort sold on any of the new line-up. If they crammed a v6 into the tSX I might be a player for that!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:02 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by civic4982
where's the V8? How's this car going to compete with the Q45 or the LS430 ??? Not a chance Acura.

The price is a good start but the styling is all too Camry looking. Acura needs to take some chances and make a car that will kcik them up in the ideals of luxury cars like Lexus has done so well at.

Welp yer mis informed....this is not to compete with ls430. Also the q45 doesn't compete with the ls430.
Senior Moderator

I was really hoping it would look like a bigger version of the TL and TSX.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:05 AM
The hair says it all

^^ me too crazy sellout
Old 04-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
wow i love this car. it's beautiful. i'd buy one of these before i bought a tl. as for the camry comparison; i'm really not seeing it.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Drifting

the front does look like a camry and the rear looks plain but the interior is definitely the nicest part of the car
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
nope...not seeing it. maybe the headlight design if anything but thats it.
Someday pigs WILL fly!

It's kinda cool looking. Looks a lot like Mercedes. I don't see the Camry in it. Interesting. Would be more so with a V8 but I don't think Honda has a V8 ready for a car?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Outnumbered at home

I like it. And it definetly is not bland like the old one. At least acura is coming out there a bit. Good job i say. inside looks very nice and if it is anything like the new TL it will be pretty good quality.

Whats the big deal with the V8 if the V6 can perform to V8 standards than who cares.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the car is HOTT! I like it much better than the new TL. The interior is amazing.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

I LOVE it…..ALL of it, especially the technology advances of the 4WD & NAVI

Where’s my COUPE version ???
Old 04-07-2004, 11:27 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Welp yer mis informed....this is not to compete with ls430. Also the q45 doesn't compete with the ls430.
aren't they all luxury flagships?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by civic4982
aren't they all luxury flagships?

yes and no. ls430's competitors are Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 series.

q45 competes with Mercedes Eclass and Lexus GS series.

q45 is 52k-62k and is lux sedan with emphasis on lux sedan.

RL is lux sedan with sport.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Is the root of all evil

I swear if it has the same turn signal arm as my 91 civic and 97 CL, im going to live in a hole for a couple years
Old 04-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice interior and features but once again Acura fails miserably in the styling department. They need to stop being so damn conservative when it comes to styling This is my last Acura, their stlying and lack of a V8 is pushing me away from them.

New M45 > new RL.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
It's not over yet

me likes the nav traffic feature, would be sweet if the nav system took that info into consideration and provides alternative routes.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Poppin them thangs

whoa....thats hot...id sport it in a heartbeat...interior is fierce....
Old 04-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that car looks amazing! much better than the TL and TSX, it looks more Lexus-like
Old 04-07-2004, 11:42 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by CHONATION
I swear if it has the same turn signal arm as my 91 civic and 97 CL, im going to live in a hole for a couple years
even better, my '89 Accord LX-i coupe

i like it...interior color scheme look good
Old 04-07-2004, 11:43 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

yes and no. ls430's competitors are Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 series.

q45 competes with Mercedes Eclass and Lexus GS series.

q45 is 52k-62k and is lux sedan with emphasis on lux sedan.

RL is lux sedan with sport.
so tell me what a larger flagship sedan by acura competes with if not the LS430 (which compete with the S430 and 740 as you have claiemd).

fully loaded the Q45 and the LS430 both cost around 65K. That's comparable (though still a bit lower than) to the price of the S430 and 745 (or is it 740? I forget.) I think the Q45 and LS430 do compete with one another as flagships and they all compete in the big boat luxury sedan category) I tihnk those 4 cars are still all in the same competition for customers with one another.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by agui
me likes the nav traffic feature, would be sweet if the nav system took that info into consideration and provides alternative routes.
I think that’s the general idea.
Or it will at least let you know that you’re driving into congestion and plan accordingly by manually overriding the roads like you can on our current system.

In PA they can pretty much put a big “MEN WORKING” sign on all the Interstates and never worry about upgrading it.

Shawn S
Old 04-07-2004, 11:46 AM
At least it's not Jersey

ALRIGHT! Where's the Intelligent (auto) Cruise Control damnit!?!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:51 AM
///M POWER

from the way things are lookin my next car aint gonna be an acura...
Old 04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Oh Yes!
I need a raise!

Don't care if it ain't a V8. Nobody needs a V8 anyways.

And NO WAY does this car look like the Camry. That Camry/ES300 is butt ugly.

For those who ain't feelin' it remember we all weren't feelin' the new TL until it hit the streets.

Quick Reply: 05 Rl Pics