Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

C&P Random Thread -

Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,099 Likes on 5,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Srika just get an eye-fi card. Your rx100 is eye-fi compatible (meaning it has a built in menu to make changes in camera and your camera will remain powered on until all images are transferred)

You can upload directly to numerous websites of your choice when at a hotspot. It can even upload automatically to your computer when you get to your home wifi network.

And with direct mode you can auto transfer them to your iPhone/iPad. Do quick edits and upload to FB/Twitter/Instagram etc (it saves to your camera roll)
oh. really?

*heads to interwebz to research eye-fi*

Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,980 Posts
Originally Posted by asianspec
Hey guys, Ive been thinking i need to go back to basics with photography and thinking about getting a Canon A2E Film camera. They are pretty cheap and use EF lenses. What do you guys think? I have a Minolta SRT200, but don't want to buy more lenses for it.
What makes you think you need to go back to basics?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey guys, Ive been thinking i need to go back to basics with photography and thinking about getting a Canon A2E Film camera. They are pretty cheap and use EF lenses. What do you guys think? I have a Minolta SRT200, but don't want to buy more lenses for it.
I'm all for it, as long as you are ok with the film and developing costs.

I took a glance at a boatload of images my father took in the 70's and 80's recently, on slides, and I was kind of stunned by the dynamic range on those. I mean sunset pictures with nothing blown out. And no need for HDR or any editing. It made me want to try some of it myself. I think I probably will at some point. Just have to figure out when. I have a Nikon N8008.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM

I use direct mode all the time to post all snapshots I take with my 1D and put them on FB.

I also use it to send a small jpeg preview to my iPad for review. (Save the raw to my CF card)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
What makes you think you need to go back to basics?
I guess i want to be more accurate in shooting and be more precise on what i shoot. Digital is great, but i think for me it just forces me to be selective. I love the old school hassleblads, hope to get one in the future.

Last edited by asianspec; 03-12-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
I'm all for it, as long as you are ok with the film and developing costs.

I took a glance at a boatload of images my father took in the 70's and 80's recently, on slides, and I was kind of stunned by the dynamic range on those. I mean sunset pictures with nothing blown out. And no need for HDR or any editing. It made me want to try some of it myself. I think I probably will at some point. Just have to figure out when. I have a Nikon N8008.
Yea, the cost of film and developing has crossed my mind, but i figured if i am not shooting it full-time, it shouldn't be too bad. Its either this or get a Polaroid camera for prop shooting for clients. When was the last time you shot film?

Load in a 1GB card and only carry that with you?

Just remember with film you won't see your results until you develop it.
I shoot people

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier if you shot in full manual all the time. You'd see the results right there vs waiting for the developing.
The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Load in a 1GB card and only carry that with you?

Just remember with film you won't see your results until you develop it.
I could do that but i will just be like eh i can just delete it, with film i have to get it right the first time.

Originally Posted by is300eater
Wouldn't it be easier if you shot in full manual all the time. You'd see the results right there vs waiting for the developing.
It would be easier, but waiting for film to develop isn't an issue for me.

Last edited by asianspec; 03-12-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Yea, the cost of film and developing has crossed my mind, but i figured if i am not shooting it full-time, it shouldn't be too bad. Its either this or get a Polaroid camera for prop shooting for clients. When was the last time you shot film?
in the 90's. I was only doing point-and-shoot type stuff, not thinking about it seriously. I wasn't using SLR's, I had a decent Olympus P&S.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I'd have to agree, if your only intention is to get back to the basics of photography, you can do that with a DSLR, just by using it differently. Maybe you also want to try (or get back into) film photography.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM

If you're trying to review your technique i say use digital otherwise you'll have to keep going back home to review after developing and then go back to retake your picture.

I say just see your subject. Take just 1 shot. Then really review it on camera and note to yourself what you don't like how could I make it better/to my liking. Then try again.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM

I could do that but i will just be like eh i can just delete it, with film i have to get it right the first time.
Not entirely true. You can just burn thru more film.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

in the 90's. I was only doing point-and-shoot type stuff, not thinking about it seriously. I wasn't using SLR's, I had a decent Olympus P&S.
ah ok.
Yeah I'd have to agree, if your only intention is to get back to the basics of photography, you can do that with a DSLR, just by using it differently. Maybe you also want to try (or get back into) film photography.
I am sure i can do it with a dslr, I just feel that if i am forced in a situation where i have to do a task correctly, i will do it correctly. although its nice to see it on a screen, i don't feel satisfied for some reason, just trying something new and out of my comfort zone might do it.

If you're trying to review your technique i say use digital otherwise you'll have to keep going back home to review after developing and then go back to retake your picture.

I say just see your subject. Take just 1 shot. Then really review it on camera and note to yourself what you don't like how could I make it better/to my liking. Then try again.
Of course its the easiest and cheapest way to do it. But if i do learn how to be precise and accurate through film. i can eliminate lesser clicks on a DSLR. Yes, nowadays the shutter can go for more than 150k actuations, but it will take me longer to get there.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before asking.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

somewhat. but still wanted input of things i might have overlooked.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I think it's a great idea. Forces you to take your time and to be very selective about your composition and exposure before pressing the shutter. Film is getting harder to come by, as are developing services, but it's all still out there. I'd love a medium format someday. Keep us updated!
asianspec (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wndrlst
I think it's a great idea. Forces you to take your time and to be very selective about your composition and exposure before pressing the shutter. Film is getting harder to come by, as are developing services, but it's all still out there. I'd love a medium format someday. Keep us updated!
My thoughts exactly. Even though the A2E is old tech. it still has a physical similarity to today's canon DSLRs.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I shoot people

I did the film thing back in the late 80's. I sure don't miss it.... I don't know anything about the A2E, but with my old Nikon FG-20... nothing fancy, but all I remember was trying to learn on it was frustrating because of the wait to see the results. I was terrible at keeping track of the settings, I had no luxury of exif information (like today's digital cameras). So suppose I got the photos of developed, and I went through the series of photos... I'd see the good and bad photos, but I wouldn't remember the settings

I know a lot of people still shoot film, and ALL the respect to those people... but I think a lot of those people also do it for the whole... "fun-in-the-dark-room" thing. I think that would be cool... it was fun learning that side of film photography too. Which brings to mind... post processing/production (on the computer). IMHO, that's a whole side of (today's) photography that you're not going to learn with film.

I personally think you'll learn more if you simply tell yourself... "the next 500-1000 click counts on my camera is solely for learning purposes" IMO, you would get more out of that vs 500-1000 worth of films (which also = $$$)

It's funny that you mentioned something about using "less clicks" on your DSLR... when I met up with you back in Dec of 2011, you had just gotten your 7D and I had just received my a77... You were sooooooo trigger happy, constantly firing it off at random things with high fps, I was like I was thinking to myself "yeah yeah yeah... my camera does that too, if not faster, but I ain't wasting actuation counts like that"
I think if you want to keep the click counts lower, you can start by not being so trigger happy

but whatever, that's just my input and probably not even worth but if you DO go get yourself a film camera, you should sign up for a FILM photography course at the local community college and have access to a darkroom, like I said, it is kinda fun to develope your own stuff.
Mizouse (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Earth-bound misfit

I did the film thing back in the late 80's. I sure don't miss it.... I don't know anything about the A2E, but with my old Nikon FG-20... nothing fancy, but all I remember was trying to learn on it was frustrating because of the wait to see the results. I was terrible at keeping track of the settings, I had no luxury of exif information (like today's digital cameras). So suppose I got the photos of developed, and I went through the series of photos... I'd see the good and bad photos, but I wouldn't remember the settings

I know a lot of people still shoot film, and ALL the respect to those people... but I think a lot of those people also do it for the whole... "fun-in-the-dark-room" thing. I think that would be cool... it was fun learning that side of film photography too. Which brings to mind... post processing/production (on the computer). IMHO, that's a whole side of (today's) photography that you're not going to learn with film.

I personally think you'll learn more if you simply tell yourself... "the next 500-1000 click counts on my camera is solely for learning purposes" IMO, you would get more out of that vs 500-1000 worth of films (which also = $$$)

It's funny that you mentioned something about using "less clicks" on your DSLR... when I met up with you back in Dec of 2011, you had just gotten your 7D and I had just received my a77... You were sooooooo trigger happy, constantly firing it off at random things with high fps, I was like I was thinking to myself "yeah yeah yeah... my camera does that too, if not faster, but I ain't wasting actuation counts like that"
I think if you want to keep the click counts lower, you can start by not being so trigger happy

but whatever, that's just my input and probably not even worth but if you DO go get yourself a film camera, you should sign up for a FILM photography course at the local community college and have access to a darkroom, like I said, it is kinda fun to develope your own stuff.
I shot film until 2005. I agree that you truly do have to be good about journaling your settings if you want to have a strong learning curve. I didn't process my own film, though I did some of that with B&W many years ago and enjoyed it. I do love the creative control from beginning to end that I have with digital that you only have with film if you have access to a darkroom.

I know film isn't for everyone, but I know a few people who still shoot with it now and then and enjoy it. I have my dad's old fully manual Canon (too lazy to go dig it out right now to tell you what it is, and I have a dog sleeping on my legs ) - I have grand intentions of taking it for a spin someday, but haven't yet. I haven't used it since the 80's!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM

What's also stopping you from going back to taking tons of shots when you shoot digital?

I used to be like that too when I was a staff photographer, then I imposed a self limit on how many I can take. Used to take like 500-600 pictures for a job that only needed maybe 100.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Funny you mention about being "trigger happy" because i was going to talk to you about that on FB. A year-plus later, i feel i gotten a lot better. Not so much trigger happy I guess having the feeling of upgrading from a 40d to a 7d was like going from a used high mileage corolla to a scion TC. If you asked me what does aperture or shutter speed do, i couldn't tell you a year ago.

Although i feel that i have so much to grow with photography and a student of it, and going to film i feel it something i can only gain knowledge from.

btw when i got the 7d it had 5k clicks on it. after i saw it being 28k 2 months ago. i really slowed down. plus i didn't want to send it early to get fixed because of going full rambo mode on the 7d.

Last edited by asianspec; 03-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.
is300eater (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

What's also stopping you from going back to taking tons of shots when you shoot digital?

I used to be like that too when I was a staff photographer, then I imposed a self limit on how many I can take. Used to take like 500-600 pictures for a job that only needed maybe 100.
lol I'm not converting my setup to film. Just wanted to try something out of the ordinary. I will still shoot digital for clients, but this is for my own pleasure and experience.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
I shoot people

FWIW, I still see people with film cameras around here in Vancouver. I saw I guy the other day with a Nikon D800 on one sling, and another Nikon film SLR on the other
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM

lol I'm not converting my setup to film. Just wanted to try something out of the ordinary. I will still shoot digital for clients, but this is for my own pleasure and experience.
thats not what i meant.

if you want to shoot film for the sake of shooting film, so be it. im just saying that switching to film to impose a limit to help you compose a shot better isnt the right way. IMO.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

thats not what i meant.

if you want to shoot film for the sake of shooting film, so be it. im just saying that switching to film to impose a limit to help you compose a shot better isnt the right way. IMO.
I get you, Even if i use a 1GB card, i can still take photos over and over again. For me knowing that, i won't get better imo. I sometime learn better in more difficult situations. Its more like *S*&t, i gotta get this right the first time" for film than "S*&t, i got it wrong, oh well delete shoot again" with digital.

Last edited by asianspec; 03-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM
I shoot people

I get you, Even if i use a 1GB card, i can still take photos over and over again. For me knowing that, i won't get better imo. I sometime learn better in more difficult situations. Its more like *S*&t, i gotta get this right the first time" for film than "S*&t, i got it wrong, oh well delete shoot again" with digital.
the thing with film is... you might shoot some photos and go "Okay, I'll get these develop tomorrow"... and tomorrow comes, you're too busy so..."Okay, tomorrow for sure" and on and on... And when you finally get it there, you might go..."Oh, I'm suppose to pick up the photos... I'll do it tomorrow" All that to see the results. Where as, with digital, it's literally a second later, you're seeing what you did. And learning from it right there and then. With film, like I said, you better keep a good log book of the settings because when you finally get them photos back,you're not gonna remember.

I get what you're saying about taking the time to compose and think more about what you're doing but still... the difference is like high speed internet and dial up... or wait, even slower. It's like sending someone a letter by mail and then waiting for a reply (another letter, also by mail) vs sending someone a text (and getting the instant reply by text).
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

the thing with film is... you might shoot some photos and go "Okay, I'll get these develop tomorrow"... and tomorrow comes, you're too busy so..."Okay, tomorrow for sure" and on and on... And when you finally get it there, you might go..."Oh, I'm suppose to pick up the photos... I'll do it tomorrow" All that to see the results. Where as, with digital, it's literally a second later, you're seeing what you did. And learning from it right there and then. With film, like I said, you better keep a good log book of the settings because when you finally get them photos back,you're not gonna remember.

I get what you're saying about taking the time to compose and think more about what you're doing but still... the difference is like high speed internet and dial up... or wait, even slower. It's like sending someone a letter by mail and then waiting for a reply (another letter, also by mail) vs sending someone a text (and getting the instant reply by text).
i can see myself doing that. But i still want the experience.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

10 Techniques for Amazing Portraits

http://digital-photography-school.co...zing-portraits
The following 3 users liked this post by srika:
asianspec (03-13-2013), pttl (03-13-2013), wndrlst (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Good find.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
Somebody else enter than contest already for fucks sake.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I will take a look. as soon as I can.
Stapler (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I shoot people

I'll be submitting something tonight, just trying to think of a title
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I find it pretty odd that I have not uploaded any new pictures since December and I'm still getting bursts of hits here and there. These unknown source stats are killing me! Haha.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
I find it pretty odd that I have not uploaded any new pictures since December and I'm still getting bursts of hits here and there. These unknown source stats are killing me! Haha.
Tell me about it man
Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Are your photos keyworded? I always assume my views come from searches when I've been neglecting my account (which is pretty much always these days..)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Nope they're not tagged. Well a few are but I got lazy about tagging them so the majority are not tagged.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Are your photos keyworded? I always assume my views come from searches when I've been neglecting my account (which is pretty much always these days..)
your photos that are viewed from searches will show that in your stats... Google, Yahoo and even Bing searches...

this is mine so far today (on the left) and yesterday (on the right)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
I shoot people

the view thing is kinda weird tho... there's been a few times where I uploaded a photo, and within a few minutes, someone "favorite" it... yet the view count was still at "0". Which doesn't make sense... if someone favorite'd it... that means someone viewed it

Quick Reply: C&P Random Thread -