Toyota: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
^ so are we going to have a repeat of the "buble boy" incident where people start doing this for their 15 min of fame?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^yes the article says it best, "But the press conference alone makes it clear Sikes' story didn't wash. Journalism schools are supposed to teach that skepticism is paramount. "If your mother says it, check it out," goes the old adage. Yet comments on Web sites across the country reveal that practically everyone thought the Prius incident was a hoax--though they couldn't prove it--except for the media"
Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
So, first we have the "Toyota defense" - how long before we have "suicide by Toyota"?
Every time I hear the term "Toyota Defense" I think of the "Chewbacca Defense" on South Park.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I want one!!!!

http://www.despair.com/toyota.html
Old 03-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
No car company in history has ever been made fun of as much as Toyota/Lexus has these past couple months. lol. First it was the forums, then it was websites, then we got the YouTube videos, and now we are even getting apparel? lol.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I'm going to take the extreme "devils advocate" position here. If you don't know how to use your machine, is it the machine's fault? If you don't know enough not to let your floor mats get tangled up with the pedals, is it the car's fault? If I buy hot coffee at McDonalds can I not expect it to be HOT? If I shoot an arrow at a target and miss, is it the targets fault?
Did you actually read what you responded to? Or did you just really want to say something and pick a random post to quote?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Norwegian Prius Unintentionally Accelerates To 109 MPH, Rams Guard Rail
http://jalopnik.com/5491932/norwegia...ams-guard-rail
...owner rammed a guard rail after the throttle stuck open, accelerating it to 109 MPH.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by subinf
Did you actually read what you responded to? Or did you just really want to say something and pick a random post to quote?
Um yes, If you don't know how to put the machine you own (for several years) in neutral, is it the machine's fault?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Norway considering temporary ban of recalled Toyotas after Prius incident
http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/to...uld-be-banned/
Statens vegvesen (the Norwegian Public Roads Administration/NPRA) says it’s considering imposing a temporary driving ban on the Toyota Prius.
“We can demand that the recalled models have to remain stationary until they have been checked, if we consider the incident on the E18 to be serious enough,” he says.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Um yes, If you don't know how to put the machine you own (for several years) in neutral, is it the machine's fault?

Again you don't seem to be responding to what you originally quoted. The Prius joystick isn't like a regular gear shift. So if you are relying on electronics to shift into neutral, that could be a problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
SNL Prius commercial

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...rcial/1208877/

Love the Ford part!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by subinf
Again you don't seem to be responding to what you originally quoted. The Prius joystick isn't like a regular gear shift. So if you are relying on electronics to shift into neutral, that could be a problem.
Of course it could be, but so far nobody has claimed that the car didn't respond to a neutral shift (though I'm sure its only a matter of time). That nobody (that is documented that I'm aware of) has tried to solve their 'runaway' car issue in this fashion points to driver error first.

That and the fact that so far, no car affected by this 'issue' has ever demonstrated it again after the fact.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Team Owner

The way I am reading this is that either Sikes put bad brakes and rotors on this car or there has to be an electrical problem. Why would the brake override not work for Sikes during the SUA?

UPDATE 3-US says no explanation yet for Calif. Prius claim
http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNN...0100315?rpc=44
Investigators, however, did say that a system on Sikes' car that enables braking to overcome acceleration when the gas and brake pedals are applied simultaneously worked properly in follow-up tests.

Police said the brakes were smoking when the officer who helped Sikes stop the car caught up to him on the freeway.

"There was very little left of the car's brakes," NHTSA said, adding that the inside front brake pads "were completely gone." The outboard pads were worn and the rotors were also damaged..
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Team Owner

Of course it could be, but so far nobody has claimed that the car didn't respond to a neutral shift (though I'm sure its only a matter of time). That nobody (that is documented that I'm aware of) has tried to solve their 'runaway' car issue in this fashion points to driver error first.

That and the fact that so far, no car affected by this 'issue' has ever demonstrated it again after the fact.
Mrs. Smith claimed under oath that her Lexus did not respond to Neutral or Reverse during her SUA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM6hi...layer_embedded

Last edited by doopstr; 03-15-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by doopstr
Mrs. Smith claimed under oath that her Lexus did not respond to Neutral or Reverse during her SUA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM6hi...layer_embedded
The Wall Street Journal [sub] [via Jalopnik] reports that, despite her traumatic and inexplicable experience, Ms Smith sold her dangerous, out-of-control ES350 to another family, which has since put 27,000 trouble-free miles on the vehicle (according to just-auto [sub], Toyota has since taken possession of the vehicle). Which means she either lied under oath, or displayed a disregard for the safety of others that puts Toyota’s missteps into stunning context. Or both. In any case, her behavior adds to our growing suspicion that the vacuous, disingenuous, and self-serving congressional hearings have been the best thing to happen to Toyota PR since the recalls began. Shame on you, Rhonda Smith, shame on you.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/sha...-rhonda-smith/
Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
My Camry goes in for the Pedal Reinforcment Recall Thursday at 4PM.

Personally, I think it's mostly a waste of time. I still think (just guessing/skeptical) that there will be another recall for some underlying electronics/ECU/ECM issue and that will be the primary culprit for the issues where N and/or brake over ride is reported as not working.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
My Camry goes in for the Pedal Reinforcment Recall Thursday at 4PM.

Personally, I think it's mostly a waste of time. I still think (just guessing/skeptical) that there will be another recall for some underlying electronics/ECU/ECM issue and that will be the primary culprit for the issues where N and/or brake over ride is reported as not working.
Don't waste your time.. Toyota even said the recall has nothing to do with the UAI claims, plus you'll probably be waiting a while for them to do the work. My BIL scheduled an appt for a simple oil change on his Tacoma, it took almost 3 hours. I checked his filter and they didn't even change it out. Who knows what they were actually up to..
Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Ms Smith sold her dangerous, out-of-control ES350 to another family, which has since put 27,000 trouble-free miles on the vehicle
Actually NHTSA bought that car a couple weeks ago
Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Majofo
Don't waste your time.. Toyota even said the recall has nothing to do with the UAI claims, plus you'll probably be waiting a while for them to do the work. My BIL scheduled an appt for a simple oil change on his Tacoma, it took almost 3 hours. I checked his filter and they didn't even change it out. Who knows what they were actually up to..

Gotta do it. Company lease. Too much liability if I don't have recall work performed.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
ah.. damn. Well hopefully you won't be stuck waiting for the work to be done, otherwise a netbook & an aircard might get you through the wait.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Team Owner

Toyota warns of engine stalling in 1.2 million Corollas
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ion-corollas/1
But Toyota has told federal auto safety regulators it doesn't think the problem "an unreasonable risk" to safety
So far, the Corolla problem in 2005 to 2007 models is not -- repeat, not -- at the recall stage yet.
The stalling can happen at bad times, such as when drivers are trying to merge onto highways.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Wait-- so which Corollas/Matrixes stall and which have unintended acceleration?
Shouldn't they cancel each other out?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Honda Fanboy

Buyer interest in Toyota tanks

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- On the surface, Toyota would seem to be surviving its sudden acceleration crisis in remarkably good shape.

Thanks to one of the most aggressive campaigns of cut-rate financing and cash incentives in its history, the Japanese automaker's sales declined only slightly in February, and early signs point to another strong performance in March.

Better still, the sales-lot promotions haven't cut into the value of Toyota used cars. Kelley Blue Book reported Monday that the average year-over-year change in 36-month residual values for Toyotas is expected to rise 4.2 percentage points in May-June. That's a bit less than the industry average of 6.2 percentage points, but healthy nonetheless.

But according to a confidential market research study reviewed by Fortune, the recalls have battered Toyota's reputation in every measurable category, including brand consideration -- an essential step in the decision process that leads to buying a car.

First the good news: Auto sales are performing strongly in March, and according to DB Equity Research, Toyota is enjoying a dramatic rebound. It estimates Toyota is commanding a retail market share rate of 20%, vs. 14.8% in February and 17.4% in January. Retail market share is an important measure of customer demand because it only counts cars sold to individuals, not fleet sales to rental car companies and others.

More good news can be found in Toyota's sales of certified used cars, those previously-owned vehicles that have been inspected and warranteed by the dealer. According to Automotive News, Toyota's certified sales declined only 7.2% in February, in what was generally a weak month for the industry. Even at that, it handily led other automakers, beating second-place Honda and number three Chevrolet.

While some competitors worry that Toyota's generous new-car incentives may be forcing a price war, others are less concerned. They figure that the new deals are merely attracting people who already own Toyotas and giving them an incentive to replace those cars now, rather than in a few months. The phenomenon is known as the "pull-ahead effect" and it isn't a positive one.

Research conducted by Hall and Partners USA supports that theory. The market researcher surveyed consumers who are considering buying a new car in the next two years and who would consider an import.

The survey discovered that awareness of the Toyota recalls was high at 89%, and its impact on the number of people who would consider buying a Toyota was substantial. Slightly more than half of those who were aware of the recalls said they are either "much less likely" or "somewhat less likely" to consider buying a Toyota in the future.

Results went downhill from there. According to Hall and Partners, Toyota's brand consideration fell to 49% in February from 75% in January. That dropped Toyota below Nissan's 54% and left it at parity with Ford, which scored 49%, and Chevy, which came in at 46%. That's unusual territory for Toyota, which generally far surpasses the domestics in brand consideration.

Toyota also lost ground in February in other measures including relevance, involvement, and opinion.

What it all comes down to is a loss of reputation. Toyota has spent years investing in its good name, not only in the quality of its cars and trucks but also in its personnel practices, corporate citizenship, and charitable contributions.

It is now becoming clear that more drastic methods than those yet announced are needed to stop the slide.

President Akio Toyoda said last week that the automaker still insists on making recall decisions from Japan for the American market. That philosophy, which slows decision time and keeps decision-makers far from the facts, is part of what got Toyota in trouble in the first place.

One person close to the company sums up Toyoda's affirmation, describing Toyota's philosophy for international operations as "colonization," not "globalization."

Until Toyota changes, it faces the danger of becoming just another auto company, forced, like others, to sell the deal instead of the car.

Which is exactly what it is doing now.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Race Director

^ there may be some sales affect due to the "pull ahead" issue but more worisome to Toyota is that buyers, like they do with GM, will be addicted to the 0% financing or some other sweetner before buying.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda Fanboy

^ there may be some sales affect due to the "pull ahead" issue but more worisome to Toyota is that buyers, like they do with GM, will be addicted to the 0% financing or some other sweetner before buying.
Exactly. It even mentions it in the seventh paragraph of the article.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/22/toy...ex.html?hpt=T2

Plot thickens.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Race Director

^ the 02 Camry didn't have DBW did it? There's even more electronics at play in today's car than back then.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Not really, just more sensationalism.

http://jalopnik.com/5500275/debunkin...yline=true&s=i
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
Not really, just more sensationalism.

http://jalopnik.com/5500275/debunkin...yline=true&s=i
Their comparison to iPods really doesn't wash with me. Who's to say the two ECMs didn't have some of the same protocols? I think it is relevant to point to a previous model where they had a similar problem, because even Jalopnik resorts to guessing about the ECM being different because it's a 'different platform.'

And unless I've missed it, I haven't seen where Toyota has stated that they have said the incidents aren't related - it would have gone a long way to diffuse the argument.

I'm not saying CNN is right, but I don't think they're totally at fault here either.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

What I don't get is since when did "light surging" become uncontrollable full throttle combined with simultaneous brake failure?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
AZ Community Team

FWIW

Anatomy of Toyota's Problem Pedal: Mechanic's Diary

What's the real problem behind Toyota's unintended acceleration? Is it simply a sticky pedal, or is the trouble more fundamental? PM senior automotive editor Mike Allen delves into modern car tech, explaining why widespread theories about electrical throttle problems and electromagnetic interference are misguided. ....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4347704.html
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

I skimmed the technical explanation portion since I'm fairly familiar with how drive-by-wire systems work. I am not a Toyota fan in particular, but people have a bias against them in general and the media is just feeding people what they probably want to hear - bad things about Toyota.

I watched the news a week ago and it said Toyota's sales overall were up in March by 40% thanks to rare, deep discounts on its cars.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Good article.

Here's another to ponder:

A sudden-acceleration angle the media aren't covering

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This is from Ted Frank, a veteran attorney who's been involved in class-action litigation involving product defects, writing in the Washington Examiner:

The Los Angeles Times recently did a story detailing the NHTSA reports of Toyota "sudden acceleration" fatalities, and, though the Times did not mention it, the ages of the drivers involved were striking.

In the 24 cases where driver age was reported or readily inferred, the drivers included those of the ages 60, 61, 63, 66, 68, 71, 72, 72, 77, 79, 83, 85, 89 -- and I'm leaving out the son whose age wasn't identified, but whose 94-year-old father died as a passenger.

These "electronic defects" apparently discriminate against the elderly, just as the sudden acceleration of Audis and GM autos did before them.

This is part of Megan McCardle's follow-up piece on the same L.A. Times' reporting on the 24 Toyota fatalities from her excellent Atlantic.com blog:

In many of the other cases, we don't really know what happened, because there were no witnesses of exactly when the car started to run away.

Here's what else you notice: a slight majority of the incidents involved someone either parking, pulling out of a parking space, in stop and go traffic, at a light or stop sign . . . in other words, probably starting up from a complete stop.

In fact, it's a little hard to be sure that some of the cases were sudden acceleration incidents, because the witnesses to what happened in the car were all killed; the family is trying to reconstruct what happened from their knowledge of the deceased. Obviously, most people are going to err on the side of believing that the car was at fault, rather than a beloved relative.

Further complicating matters, most of the cases involve either a lawsuit against Toyota, a complainant facing possible criminal charges, or both.

In some of the cases, the police or doctors have an alternate theory of what happened: one of the SAIs was bipolar, which puts you at extraordinarily high risk of suicide, and no one knows what actually happened in the car. At least two others involve young men who were driving at very high speed, which is something that young men tend to do with or without a sticky accelerator. Several more of the drivers seem to have had a medical situation, like a stroke, to which doctors and/or police attribute the acceleration. ...

... when you look at these incidents all together, it's pretty clear why Toyota didn't investigate this "overwhelming evidence" of a problem: they look a lot like typical cases of driver error. I don't know that all of them are. But I do know that however advanced Toyota's electronics are, they're not yet clever enough to be able to pick on senior citizens.

I'm not saying I agree with McCardle's sweeping conclusion. I'm saying this is interesting stuff that should be part of the coverage.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblog...rent-covering/
Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Toyota Credit Rating Cut by Moody’s on Weak Profit Outlook

Standard & Poor’s will decide by the middle of next month whether to reduce or affirm its credit ratings on Toyota, Chizuko Satsukawa, a Tokyo-based analyst for the ratings company, said in a phone interview. S&P put the automaker’s “AA” debt rating put under review in February with “negative” implications, citing concerns over quality-related issues.

Sluggish demand, overcapacity, the need to provide incentives beyond normal levels to boost sales and “a real risk that its product quality problems have eroded significantly and permanently its historical advantages in pricing power,” could all negatively affect Toyota’s profitability, Moody’s Usui wrote.

The carmaker in March started offering no-interest loans, discount leases and free maintenance for U.S. customers......
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...t-outlook.html

Generous Motors Redux?!?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy Round 2

MIAMI (AP) -- Toyota waited nearly a year in 2005 to recall trucks and SUVs in the United States with defective steering rods, despite issuing a similar recall in Japan and receiving dozens of reports from American motorists about rods that snapped without warning, an Associated Press investigation has found.

The lengthy gap between the Japanese and U.S. recalls -- strikingly similar to Toyota's handling of the recent recall for sudden acceleration problems -- triggered a new investigation today by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which could fine the automaker up to $16.4 million. That was also the amount Toyota paid last month in the acceleration case.

NHTSA said today it learned Friday from a plaintiff lawyer in California of 41 complaints filed with Toyota by U.S. customers before the automaker's October 2004 Japan recall of Hilux and Hilux Surf trucks.

"Our team is working to obtain documents and information from Toyota to find out whether the manufacturer notified NHTSA within five business days of discovering a safety defect in U.S. vehicles," NHTSA Administrator David Strickland said in a statement.

Federal regulators "are taking this seriously and reviewing the facts to determine whether a timeliness investigation is warranted," NHTSA spokeswoman Karen Aldana told the AP in response to questions about the 2005 recall. An automaker is required to notify NHTSA about a defect within five days of determining one exists.

NHTSA has now linked 16 crashes, three deaths and seven injuries to the steering rod defect. When a steering rod snaps, the driver cannot control the vehicle because the front wheels will not turn.

The AP reviewed hundred of pages of court documents, including many of Toyota's internal communications from the period when the steering problems first emerged. The AP also analyzed government files and complaints from drivers who experienced trouble behind the wheel.

After the 2004 Japanese recall, Toyota claimed initially that it had scant evidence of a steering rod problem among U.S. trucks and SUVs. But the AP found that the automaker had received at least 52 reports from U.S. drivers about the defect before vehicles were recalled in Japan.

Toyota will cooperate

Toyota told the AP that it has now confirmed seven total cases in the U.S. of steering problems in the T100 small pickup and no reports of accidents or injuries. Company spokesman Brian Lyons said today that the automaker received an information request from NHTSA and intended to cooperate with the agency's inquiry.

Toyota claimed in a 2004 letter to NHTSA obtained by the AP that driving conditions in Japan were so different from those on U.S. roads that a recall was not necessary for 4Runner SUVs and T100 pickup trucks, known in Japan as the Hilux and Hilux Surf. That was despite the vehicles having nearly identical steering components, according to company documents filed with NHTSA.

In the October 2004 letter, the company told the agency there were differences between left- and right-hand drive vehicles and that Toyota "believes that the unique operating conditions in Japan, such as frequent standing full lock turns, such as for narrow parking spaces and close quarters maneuvering, greatly affects the occurrence of this problem."

In addition, Toyota insisted to U.S. regulators the company had only scattered reports by 2004 from U.S. drivers about the steering problems. However, company documents that surfaced in a 2009 lawsuit show Toyota received 35 complaints through its customer service department -- four formal complaints to its legal department and 13 warranty claims through dealers before the 2004 recall.

The company later acknowledged in court documents that it received at least some letters from U.S. customers whose steering rods had broken.

Yet it was not until September 2005 -- 11 months after the Japanese recall began -- that Toyota issued a recall in the U.S. for nearly 1 million 4Runners and Toyota trucks from model years 1989 to 1995, and T100s from model years 1993 to 1998, to repair steering rods.

Last month, Toyota agreed to pay a $16.4 million fine for delaying its recalls of millions of vehicles to replace floor mats that can trap accelerator pedals and accelerator pedals that can stick. The attorney for an Idaho family suing Toyota over the steering issue now says there are strong parallels between the 2005 steering recall and the accelerator situation.

Toyota's October 2004 and September 2005 letters to NHTSA, both of which said that the company had not received U.S. complaints before the Japan recall, were signed by Toyota Motor North America vice president Chris Tinto. Tinto worked for NHTSA before joining Toyota.

Congressional calls for a tightening of revolving-door laws were based in part on Tinto's role at Toyota in getting the agency to agree to smaller recalls by the automaker.

Timely notification?

California attorney John Kristensen today said Toyota failed to meet its obligation to promptly notify the agency about a vehicle defect. Kristensen represents the family of 18-year-old Michael "Levi" Stewart, who was killed in a 2007 accident.

"They clearly had evidence. They clearly had problems in the U.S.," Kristensen said. "They've got to be held responsible for misleading the U.S. government about why they weren't doing a recall in the United States."

NHTSA is also reviewing whether Toyota improperly delayed for six weeks the January recall of the 2009-2010 Venza in the United States to address floor mats that could trap accelerator pedals. The company had made a similar recall in Canada six weeks earlier.

Earlier today, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood met with top Toyota executives in Japan and said the company could face additional fines for safety-related issues. LaHood said investigators are going through some 500,000 Toyota documents. A determination on new fines probably will not be made for months.

In Stewart's death, Toyota acknowledged in a 2009 filing that the company was contacted by two U.S. drivers complaining of broken steering rods in 2002 and 2003 but emphasized "the fact that a steering rod broke is not in and of itself evidence of the recall condition."

The reports uncovered in the Stewart lawsuit tell a different story. One motorist who wrote in 2002 to Toyota urged the company to do something after the steering rod broke on his 1997 T100 pickup.

"I bring this evidence to your attention because of the obvious safety hazard," wrote Yigal Schacht of Flushing, N.Y. "Had this fracture in the center link occurred even 10 minutes later, I would have been traveling on the Long Island Expressway, and without steering, surely a horrific tragedy would have ensued."

The Toyota steering recall in Japan began after a highly publicized accident in which five people were injured after a steering rod snapped, leading to a criminal investigation there of Toyota executives involving the timing of the recall. Ultimately, Japanese prosecutors decided not to file professional negligence charges against the executives.

Nearing trial

The Stewart case is one of four lawsuits that were filed in state courts after the U.S. steering recall and the only one drawing close to trial, which is set for November in Los Angeles. In addition to the defective vehicle, the Stewart family is claiming Toyota's 2005 recall was faulty because it repaired only about a third of the vehicles -- far below the 70 percent level that is the typical goal under NHTSA guidelines.

NHTSA officials cautioned, however, that repair levels for older vehicles are often lower because many of them are not in use any more.

Stewart was killed Sept. 15, 2007, while driving friends home in his 1991 Toyota pickup near Fairfield, Idaho. Toyota has said in court documents that the steering rod may have broken on impact rather than before the crash and has suggested the crash may have been alcohol related. Stewart's blood-alcohol level was 0.03, within Idaho's legal limits.

"Stewart was under the influence and speeding" before the accident, Toyota said in one filing.

Kristensen said Stewart drank "half a beer" that night and was the group's designated driver. If the recall had been performed sooner and more efficiently, "it could have saved Levi Stewart's life," the attorney said.

Similar claims are being made today in hundreds of lawsuits against Toyota over the unintended acceleration problem, which NHTSA has linked to 52 deaths in the U.S.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Race Director

Stewart was killed Sept. 15, 2007, while driving friends home in his 1991 Toyota pickup near Fairfield, Idaho
You sue Toyota over a 16 year old truck that may have a questionable issue?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
You sue Toyota over a 16 year old truck that may have a questionable issue?
I agree. This sounds dubious at best. A 16 year old truck could develp any number of dangerous problems. Would they all be Toyota's fault?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Update

Despite ominous news reports of cars careening out of control, there's no substitute for data. And now it looks like many reported cases of so-called "sudden acceleration" in Toyotas are actually due to driver error.

That's the preliminary conclusion coming from investigators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) who analyzed dozens of event-data recorders, or "black boxes," from Toyota models that had crashed.

Black box: Acceleration, not braking

The recorders showed that despite drivers' claims that they were pressing the brakes as hard as they could, in fact the accelerators were floored and the brakes were never applied.

That is exactly what happened in the March crash of a 2005 Toyota Prius in the New York City suburb of Harrison, N.Y. There, a 56-year-old housekeeper swore she was braking as hard as she could when the car raced across a busy road, slamming into a stone wall.

In that case, the NHTSA statement all but used the words driver error, saying that the car's onboard computer systems "indicated there was no application of the brakes, and the throttle was fully open."

We've seen this before

The latest conclusions, reported by the Wall Street Journal but not officially confirmed by the agency, involved data recorders selected at random by the agency, not Toyota [NYSE:TM].

The NHTSA has not yet issued a formal statement, saying it will wait to complete a longer study before commenting. But the conclusions are not unexpected among auto-safety experts. Few believe that "sudden acceleration" in the Prius or any other car is possible.

Back in 1989, the agency concluded that drivers were also at fault in so-called "sudden acceleration" cases involving Audi 5000 sedans. That was three years after a notorious documentary.

Misfiring neurons

But how can a driver believe she is braking when in fact she has the accelerator floored? The University of California-Los Angeles professor Richard Schmidt, who teaches psychology, writes, "The trouble, unbelievable as it may seem, is that [it] is very often caused by drivers who press the gas pedal when they intend to press the brake."

The culprit is "noisy neuromuscular processes," in which a limb does something slightly different from what the brain has asked it to do. In this case, the driver's foot may extend at a different angle than the body expects.

Compounding the problem

Panic then exacerbates the situation, with drivers pressing even harder on their "brake" pedals. Which of course keeps the accelerator floored and often leads to a crash.

That said, a handful of cases may have been due to oversize or improperly fitted floor mats in Toyota and Lexus vehicles. The company is now working through millions of vehicles to shorten and modify their accelerator pedals to alleviate the potential for such a problem.

That was the conclusion of the investigation into a notorious crash last August, in which a California Highway Patrol officer and three other passengers were killed when their Lexus accelerated out of control, crashed, flipped over, and burned.

That case is the only one out of more than 3,000 complaints in which the NHTSA has concluded the vehicle was at fault.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Just read this on autoblog.

Pretty crazy seeing how all these people at once have had these complaints, and all at once too.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe that for a second.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Recall News