Toyota: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Never mind the huge pile of money the recall will cost Toyota - the tidal wave of lawsuits that is sure to follow means they'll be paying for this issue for a long time.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ Honda did the same thing with their AT 5speeds. They knew about it for a long time and did nothing. Random dowshifting into 2nd gear from 75mph on the freeway isn't exactly safe.

Truth of the matter is all vehicle companies "know" they have a safety problem when issues come up. It's the bean counters and lawyers that make the call on whether to recall or not.

It's a long list of history from the Chevy sidemount gas tanks, Ford Pinto rear gas tank, Ford Explorer/Firestone Tires.......etc and so on.

This is not something new. All vehicle MFG. do this. It does not make it "right", but Toyota is one of many doing the same thing.

Welcome to the world of big business.
welcome to toyota taking it up the rear end for years to come.....
Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Suzuka Master

slow down abruptly
That's rich!

You need to understand that EVERY automaker does and will do the same thing Toyota is doing. It's called damage control.

Nobody is sugar coating everything.
Start reading up on the facts....there are plenty in this thread.
Put your conspiracy theories of Toyota aside....they are unfounded.
yes you are, lol toyota knew this was a problem and they should have done handled it differently........and btw the 5at that is prone to failure shows problems long before they fail. the biggest factor is the transmission fluid starts to change color quickly and the shifting gets very inconsistant.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Still amazes me that Toyota is so late getting brake override firmware into their ECU's. None the less, Toyota has handled the PR poorly for the company with their reputation for conservatism in their business approach. In terms of the actual problem I still haven't seen enough information and details to know what the actual problem is, I'm not buying into the Toyota version yet.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Edmunds Inside line shows pictures of Denso vs. CTS throttle pedal assemblies

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/toy...he-recall.html
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Race Director

It is unfortunate that the minuscule number of problems is causing all this trouble for Toyota. At least Toyota is not following Audi's example from the 80s and blaming it on the drivers or dismissing it all together. Seems to me that from the few documented cases the problem is not a mechanical one - which leads me to believe that the fix won't be mechanical either (replacing the pedal) - the issue is in the ECU.

Like in the past (third brake light, TPM, etc) , the gov't will get involved and order every car maker to have brake over-ride in every car that has DBW.

Last edited by biker; 01-31-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I agree that, with these recent discoveries and Toyota's actions, there is something wrong with some Toyota cars. But this idea that millions of people are somehow unsafe is just preposterous. THere have been 19 deaths reportedly attributed to this malfunction (over some 8+ years). In that time several million Toyota cars have been sold and driven with no incident. To say that Toyota endangered the lives of millions is just wrong. Any death is too many of course, but millions of people will NOT end up dying, or even be affected by this. Jeez...
Nobody said that millions of peoples lives are at risk at this current moment in time. It's a gradual risk that increases with time and Toyota wouldn't have recalled over 5.3 million cars unless there was a risk, or stopped selling eight of their models. Yes, 19 people did die as a result of Toyota's defect. However, The 19 sudden-acceleration deaths involving Toyota vehicles are more than those that have occurred in vehicles from all other automakers combined. Toyota doesn't have the most cars on the road and when you have more sudden-acceleration deaths than ALL other manufacturers combined, you take it as a wake-up call. Nobody said millions of people will die so you can relax on that part.

The point of the matter is that Toyota messed up, big time. They knew there was an issue, they resisted acknowledging it, and now they are paying for it. On top of that, seems like more and more people are saying it's not a mechanical problem, but possibly an electronic problem. I for one don't believe what Toyota says. I know there are some people here that are very eager to eat up anything Toyota says, but in the end, they are a huge corporation and they ultimately only care about their bottom end, not ours.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by biker
It is unfortunate that the minuscule number of problems is causing all this trouble for Toyota. At least Toyota is not following Audi's example from the 80s and blaming it on the drivers or dismissing it all together. Seems to me that from the few documented cases the problem is not a mechanical one - which leads me to believe that the fix won't be mechanical either (replacing the pedal) - the issue is in the ECU.

Like in the past (third brake light, TPM, etc) , the gov't will get involved and order every car maker to have brake over-ride in every car that has DBW.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Theres definitely something wrong here and Toyota has done a poor job in acting, no doubt. It concerns me that they don't really seem to know what the problem is, but I'm not going to park my IS350 until they figure it out. The probablility of experiencing this failure is so low I'll take my chances (you probably have a better chance at winning the lottery than having this happen to you)....
Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up Honda Takes the High Road

TORRANCE, California — In stark contrast to the tactics of General Motors and Ford in the aftermath of Toyota's massive recall, Honda on Thursday said it "will not react in a predatory way toward either Toyota or Toyota customers."

General Motors and Ford launched incentive programs this week aimed squarely at enticing disgruntled Toyota customers away from the brand as it struggles with a major image problem as a result of the recall. The domestic automakers' tactic of luring customers away from Toyota was criticized by some bloggers and even one other automaker — Hyundai — who likened the two to "vultures."

Honda also addressed customer concerns about how it is affected — if at all — by the Toyota recall for faulty accelerator pedals. The letter, to Honda and Acura dealers from John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor, is a tutorial on how to handle questions from the media and consumers.

"The recently announced Toyota recall has prompted some customer questions to you, our Honda and Acura dealers," said Mendel in the letter. "In fact, Toyota's recall, while serious, has no impact whatsoever on Honda or Acura customers. American Honda Motor Co., Inc., is not aware of any reports for either Honda or Acura vehicles, regarding the type of failure Toyota is citing as the cause for its recall. Additionally, while we use the same supplier as Toyota for some of our products (as do other manufacturers), we do not use the same components."

Inside Line says:
No Honda or Acura incentives are in the works for Toyota customers. And only time will tell which automakers had the correct response to the crisis. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

Assuming that this article is correct, it is interesting to note that Hyundai has since launched its own $1,000 incentive to lure Toyota owners ...
Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
yes you are, lol toyota knew this was a problem and they should have done handled it differently........and btw the 5at that is prone to failure shows problems long before they fail. the biggest factor is the transmission fluid starts to change color quickly and the shifting gets very inconsistant.
As if drivers are going to look are their trans fluid...especially when the tranny fails suddenly at the first 8k miles. My first tranny died that early...and so did many others.

The fact that Toyota recalled 4 million cars is a very good thing DESPITE that the failure rate "if" you believe that there are as many as 2,000 cases...the failure rate is .05% of all vehicles. That percentage is a joke.

If you take the low side of a dozen cases of failure, the percentage of failure is .0003%.

The failure rate is almost near the odds of getting struck by lightning....literally...no joke.

Should the cars be recalled? No doubt....but screaming that the sky is falling and Toyota is not doing enough is nuts.

EDIT: 8 million vehicles recalled worldwide......now the percentage are even lower.

Last edited by Moog-Type-S; 01-31-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Assuming that this article is correct, it is interesting to note that Hyundai has since launched its own $1,000 incentive to lure Toyota owners ...
[/COLOR][/FONT]

So Honda in actuality is selling cars for charity, and not for the sake of business? Who knew.....
Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

So Honda in actuality is selling cars for charity, and not for the sake of business? Who knew.....
Well, it's kind of hard for Honda to take advantage of this when they just recalled hundreds of thousands of Fits because they catch on fire and burn the toddlers inside.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

As if drivers are going to look are their trans fluid...especially when the tranny fails suddenly at the first 8k miles. My first tranny died that early...and so did many others.

The fact that Toyota recalled 4 million cars is a very good thing DESPITE that the failure rate "if" you believe that there are as many as 2,000 cases...the failure rate is .05% of all vehicles. That percentage is a joke.

If you take the low side of a dozen cases of failure, the percentage of failure is .0003%.

The failure rate is almost near the odds of getting struck by lightning....literally...no joke.

Should the cars be recalled? No doubt....but screaming that the sky is falling and Toyota is not doing enough is nuts.

EDIT: 8 million vehicles recalled worldwide......now the percentage are even lower.
lol ok so you admit to not doing regular maint on your car then? I dunno about you but I DO check my fluid levels at least once a week, you really should be doing it every fillup so yes one would catch that there is something wrong with their transmission if the fluid is chaning from light pink to brown........common sense, does you haz it?

btw 19 deaths it took before any action was taken, that is 19 too many....
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Its not that they arent doing any thing, its the way they are going about it and the sheer amount of time its taken them to do any thing. Any thing that is preventable which this situation most of it should have could have been is unacceptable

Quite frankly i dont want my wife and kids on the road with something that could be prevented. A lady that works for me mentioned that her avalon has been idling around 1500 rpm and that she has to apply the brakes to keep the car below the speed limit thru town. (she is an idiot and thought nothing of something being wrong) Her car is now sitting at the dealer waiting to be fixed.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 01-31-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Toyota truck crashes into showroom

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A Toyota Tundra crashed into the showroom at All Star Toyota on Airline Hwy. near Goodwood Blvd. in Baton Rouge on Saturday morning. Officers said a customer tried to return his truck following a recent recall on the accelerator.

According to the Baton Rouge Police Department, the general manager offered to fix the truck and repeatedly offered to give the customer a loaner in the meantime, but the customer declined and left the building. Police reported the man then drove his Toyota into the side of the dealership, causing major damage to the truck and the building.

The customer claimed his accelerator became stuck, causing the crash. All Star said the truck was purchased last March and did not have any records of mechanical problems.

Police added the accelerator was not stuck when they examined the truck after the crash, but they could not find any evidence that the crash was intentional. The driver was not ticketed
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
lol ok so you admit to not doing regular maint on your car then? I dunno about you but I DO check my fluid levels at least once a week, you really should be doing it every fillup so yes one would catch that there is something wrong with their transmission if the fluid is chaning from light pink to brown........common sense, does you haz it?

You don't get it.

I was in an engine building class a couple months ago, and the instructor had worked at several engine building, engine performance and general automobile repair shops for decades before what he is doing now. I remember he asked a question once to the class to see if people checked their fluid levels (not just engine fluids) regularly. What I found out is that including myself, almost nobody in a class of 20 checked on a regular basis, including the instructor himself. Mind you, this wasn't a beginners class.... there were 5-6 dealership techs in there, several people who worked at independent repair shops, machine shops, etc.

That's with people who at least know what they're doing..... my sister on the other hand doesn't even know how to fill up the air in her tires.... or she's too lazy and makes me do it, but still. You are an exception to the rule and I doubt you'd bother if Honda made it more of a hassle to check ATF level, and it'd be even less likely if they never had this 5AT problem to begin with

I can't speak for you, but it's true, most people don't check their fluid levels. They tend to check it more often than not only if there's a common problem, e.g. a glass tranny. Who the hell would check their tranny fluid if there wasn't a problem with it? A lot of manufacturers also make it a PITA and have a specific method to checking tranny fluid. I don't remember the exact procedure, but you can't check the ATF level on a newer Tundra because there's no dipstick. The only thing you can do is to remove the fill and overflow plugs (two separate plugs) and fill it til it overflows. To check it, you have to drop the pan, which isn't bad but annoying to do on a regular basis. Plus a lot of manufacturers are using the "lifetime fluid" also so that decreases the likelihood of them putting a dipstick on there for you to check.

I'm not a Toyota fan at all, and I'm not saying I approve of what Toyota is doing, nor do I approve of what they're doing to fix this issue or the speed with which they're doing it, but it seems almost as if people are enjoying this bad press. Then I go back a page and some retard is taking pleasure in the fact that people have died as a result of this. WTF?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
You don't get it.

I was in an engine building class a couple months ago, and the instructor had worked at several engine building, engine performance and general automobile repair shops for decades before what he is doing now. I remember he asked a question once to the class to see if people checked their fluid levels (not just engine fluids) regularly. What I found out is that including myself, almost nobody in a class of 20 checked on a regular basis, including the instructor himself. Mind you, this wasn't a beginners class.... there were 5-6 dealership techs in there, several people who worked at independent repair shops, machine shops, etc.

That's with people who at least know what they're doing..... my sister on the other hand doesn't even know how to fill up the air in her tires.... or she's too lazy and makes me do it, but still. You are an exception to the rule and I doubt you'd bother if Honda made it more of a hassle to check ATF level, and it'd be even less likely if they never had this 5AT problem to begin with

I can't speak for you, but it's true, most people don't check their fluid levels. They tend to check it more often than not only if there's a common problem, e.g. a glass tranny. Who the hell would check their tranny fluid if there wasn't a problem with it? A lot of manufacturers also make it a PITA and have a specific method to checking tranny fluid. I don't remember the exact procedure, but you can't check the ATF level on a newer Tundra because there's no dipstick. The only thing you can do is to remove the fill and overflow plugs (two separate plugs) and fill it til it overflows. To check it, you have to drop the pan, which isn't bad but annoying to do on a regular basis. Plus a lot of manufacturers are using the "lifetime fluid" also so that decreases the likelihood of them putting a dipstick on there for you to check.

I'm not a Toyota fan at all, and I'm not saying I approve of what Toyota is doing, nor do I approve of what they're doing to fix this issue or the speed with which they're doing it, but it seems almost as if people are enjoying this bad press. Then I go back a page and some retard is taking pleasure in the fact that people have died as a result of this. WTF?
what I was replying to was the fact that he said his trans failed suddenly with no warning....I called BS becauase it is a KNOWN FACT that the 5at in question discolors the fluid long before the transmission takes a dump on you..... as for you guys not checking your fluids, that's just bad becuse they will often tell you something is up long before u get into a serious issue...

My CL was requiring new fluid every 7-8 K miles before it bit the bullet and you knew it was time for a change cause it would get all lumpy in it's shifting. if you are checking your oil once a week and it keeps getting low, that should tell you something is up, same for checking your brake fluid, PS fluid, etc if it's chaning colors rapidly, something is not right (except for oil which does turn brown rather quickly)

The owners manual even tells you to inspect the place where you park for drips, to check the fluids on a regular basis, tire condition and pressure, etc.... takes about 10 minutes of your time. if you are not doing that, then i dunno what to tell you.....
Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Honda Fanboy

Not only that but the transmission would start slipping long before it actually had a catastrophic failure. Even if someone didn't check their fluids regularly, any fool would know that something was wrong if their transmission isn't shifting like it normally does. It's not like you're driving and then all of a sudden your transmission just falls out from under your car with no prior symptoms or clues that something was imminent.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Suzuka Master

^ i can't edit so here goes I forgot to add that when the 5at slams down into second it is the result of a seal failure due to excessive clutch movement and that should definately be noticable as the 2-3 shift taking a longer time to complete
Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
The customer claimed his accelerator became stuck, causing the crash. All Star said the truck was purchased last March and did not have any records of mechanical problems.
This will be an ongoing problem - you don't know for sure what happened - you can only go by the word of the customer, which in this case is very iffy.

The more I hear about this the more it sounds like the Audi thing all over again - in which most of the problems were not caused by the car itself.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Race Director

With all the hubbub about Toyota's decision to stop to temporarily stop selling eight models, it's easy to forget the Pontiac Vibe. It's the asterisk in the giant recall.

The Pontiac Vibe is a sister to the Toyota Matrix, and Corolla. They were all built together at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., or NUMMI, a joint venture of Toyota and General Motors, in which Toyota operated a former GM plant in Fremont, Calif. Drive On's old Corolla was built there, and it's been one of the toughest cars on the planet.

There were 99,293 Pontiac Vibes built for the 2009 and 2010 model years before GM pulled the plug on Pontiac and NUMMI both, Cars.com's Kicking Tires reports. When Toyota announces a remedy today to the recall that affects more than two million vehicles, Vibe will likely be part of it:

Vibe owner will get their recall letter from GM, however, even though Pontiac dealers no longer exist. It's likely that GM dealers will do the repairs.

Currently, GM says it hasn't identified any incidents or customer complaints of sticking accelerator pedals with the Vibe. Like Toyota, GM has halted sales of Vibes, though GM told Drive On last week that it had only two unsold Vibes left.

Talk about a complicated situation.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Race Director

that GM has two unsold Vibes - buy them now - they'll become collectibles.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Yeah, my worry all along has been that idiots are going to start using Toyota's current predicament to cover up their stupidity. All the sudden anybody who gets in an accident in a Toyota has a nice built-in excuse: "Sorry officer, the car just accelerated out of control. See, its a Toyota."

Trying to figure out who truly had a failure and who is just stupid and covering up is going to be a PITA....
Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Try to stay with the conversation......8k TOTAL miles for transmission failure. Transmission failures that early are not a result of poor maint.

Seriously now....

So "if" it's action taken "after" 19 deaths as you claim, at what point should they have taken action? Surely not one....perhaps two...probably not...3,4,5,6,...12? WHEN? It takes time to figure out if it was an isolated incedent of one or two vehicles....or an outright failure on all accounts.

Deaths from vehicle mfg. problems are par for the course....the question becomes when should a mfg. recall on their own, or when does the NHTSA step in and force a recall.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its not that they arent doing any thing, its the way they are going about it and the sheer amount of time its taken them to do any thing. Any thing that is preventable which this situation most of it should have could have been is unacceptable

Quite frankly i dont want my wife and kids on the road with something that could be prevented. A lady that works for me mentioned that her avalon has been idling around 1500 rpm and that she has to apply the brakes to keep the car below the speed limit thru town. (she is an idiot and thought nothing of something being wrong) Her car is now sitting at the dealer waiting to be fixed.
I agree that the lady you know is a moron, and her high idle may or may not be a pedal issue. Who knows. A high idle can occur in any car for a great number of issues.

You understand the odds of a failure, as I stated previously, are almost nill.
That being said, if you were Toyota, would you recall 5 million vehicles at the drop of a hat with those odds? Would you tell your vehicle owners to park their vehicles and not drive them.....and tell them you don't have a fix...but "stay tuned"?

The answer is NO. If you did, Toyota would be done for. Telling your consumer that their car is a danger, stop driving it, and go "pound sand" if you want an immediate repair is just plain nuts! That's not how you run a business.

Toyota is doing exactly what any other car maker in the same situation would do.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Yeah, my worry all along has been that idiots are going to start using Toyota's current predicament to cover up their stupidity. All the sudden anybody who gets in an accident in a Toyota has a nice built-in excuse: "Sorry officer, the car just accelerated out of control. See, its a Toyota."

Trying to figure out who truly had a failure and who is just stupid and covering up is going to be a PITA....
Peeps all over the place are going to try to cash in their Toyota lottery ticket.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

The fix.

After several days of uncertainty, Toyota has officially announced a plan to fix the accelerator pedals on the eight models it recalled late last month. Toyota says it will begin fixing affected vehicles later this week.

Toyota’s accelerator pedal fix involves “reinforcing the pedal assembly in a manner that eliminates the excess friction that has caused the pedals to stick in rare instances.” The pedal reinforcement fix is intended for the 2.3 million vehicles recalled last week, while Toyota has developed a separate solution for vehicles yet to be produced.

“Nothing is more important to us than the safety and reliability of the vehicles our customers drive,” Jim Lentz, president and Chief Operating Officer, TMS, said in a statement. “We deeply regret the concern that our recalls have caused for our customers and we are doing everything we can – as fast as we can – to make things right.”

According to Toyota, the replacement parts are currently being shipped to Toyota dealers across the country, although no date has been given for when the sales of the eight affected models might resume. Some Toyota dealers will be staying open 24 hours to ensure that all customer vehicles receive the fix.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-a...tml#more-25360
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by probmxstyle
Toyota truck crashes into showroom

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A Toyota Tundra crashed into the showroom at All Star Toyota on Airline Hwy. near Goodwood Blvd. in Baton Rouge on Saturday morning. Officers said a customer tried to return his truck following a recent recall on the accelerator.

According to the Baton Rouge Police Department, the general manager offered to fix the truck and repeatedly offered to give the customer a loaner in the meantime, but the customer declined and left the building. Police reported the man then drove his Toyota into the side of the dealership, causing major damage to the truck and the building.

Police added the accelerator was not stuck when they examined the truck after the crash, but they could not find any evidence that the crash was intentional. The driver was not ticketed

I guess I could say this is unbelievable but after the zip tie incident, I'm surprised they're not inserting a zip tied piece of dried dog shit instead of a "reinforced precision cut piece of steel"

The binding doesn't make much sense to me when you take a look at it.. I highly doubt the little pivot axle is actually binding with enough force to hold the pedal & spring tension down at WOT.. but hopefully this indeed is the issue, I highly doubt it but we'll soon see, hopefully not at the cost of another life.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Race Director

^ this fix seems to be aimed at some sort of mechanical issue. That won't explain the incident where the guy successfully returned the pedal to its normal position (got toe under it to pull it back) yet the engine never slowed.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
The binding doesn't make much sense to me when you take a look at it.. I highly doubt the little pivot axle is actually binding with enough force to hold the pedal & spring tension down at WOT...
I thought that the CTS pedals were just barely "binding" and were slower to return to idle once the foot was lifted, not that they were accelerating the car by sticking.

Through the past several months, my guess was that the acceleration problem was some very intermittent software glitch rather than a mechanical issue, which is why the problem is so difficult for engineers to duplicate and pin down.

Oh, and I also expect that a number of drivers will blame their Toyotas for the drivers' mistakes when they get a chance.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ this fix seems to be aimed at some sort of mechanical issue. That won't explain the incident where the guy successfully returned the pedal to its normal position (got toe under it to pull it back) yet the engine never slowed.
I agree. And after watching the news this am many Toyota service shops dont believe this is the issue either. Many said they have see cars with the pedal all the way up running at wide open throttle.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
The really scary part is that some uninformed idiot on some committee may ask the auto makers to stop using DBW gas pedals due to this.
this is not a bad thing
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Ummm...yes it is.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Majofo

I guess I could say this is unbelievable but after the zip tie incident, I'm surprised they're not inserting a zip tied piece of dried dog shit instead of a "reinforced precision cut piece of steel"

The binding doesn't make much sense to me when you take a look at it.. I highly doubt the little pivot axle is actually binding with enough force to hold the pedal & spring tension down at WOT.. but hopefully this indeed is the issue, I highly doubt it but we'll soon see, hopefully not at the cost of another life.
I'm also confused as to what the purpose of the dark gray piece is. Does it provide some sort of mechanical friction for better feel?

Anyway, I wonder how many mass production lines are running around the world stamping out these "reinforced precision cut piece of steel" as I type these.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Try to stay with the conversation......8k TOTAL miles for transmission failure. Transmission failures that early are not a result of poor maint.

Seriously now....

So "if" it's action taken "after" 19 deaths as you claim, at what point should they have taken action? Surely not one....perhaps two...probably not...3,4,5,6,...12? WHEN? It takes time to figure out if it was an isolated incedent of one or two vehicles....or an outright failure on all accounts.

Deaths from vehicle mfg. problems are par for the course....the question becomes when should a mfg. recall on their own, or when does the NHTSA step in and force a recall.

obviously you can't read so let me explain it to you

1. I never said when the transmission failed I said it was requiring fluid changes every 7-8K miles before it failed. The transmission managed to go to 71K miles before it craped out with a fault code stored in the ECM. trans was changed out before it totally craped out.

2. Toyota should have started investigating this issue when the problems were first discovered. If they had, they would not be in this mess. Tell me, how many deaths are acceptable for this type of problem? (hint the correct answer is ZERO). The fact that you are telling us that deaths are "par for the course" means that you are OK with someone taking a needless risk with your life.

Life is full of risks, everyone understands this but it does not have to be full of needless risks caused by some comapny that is covering up a SIGNIFICANT FAULT with their product.

*patiently waits for something horrible to happen to Moog-Type-S or someone he loves that was the DIRECT RESULT of some company's neglegence and see how he responds then.*
Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
^^ Ummm...yes it is.
drive by wire absolutely sucks. kills the entire feel of the car.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

obviously you can't read so let me explain it to you

1. I never said when the transmission failed I said it was requiring fluid changes every 7-8K miles before it failed. The transmission managed to go to 71K miles before it craped out with a fault code stored in the ECM. trans was changed out before it totally craped out..
I was telling you when one of my transmissions failed at 8k....ya see?
Brand new transmissions should not fail at 8k miles - regardless of fluid condition....unless they are made of glass

2. Toyota should have started investigating this issue when the problems were first discovered. If they had, they would not be in this mess. Tell me, how many deaths are acceptable for this type of problem? (hint the correct answer is ZERO). The fact that you are telling us that deaths are "par for the course" means that you are OK with someone taking a needless risk with your life.

Life is full of risks, everyone understands this but it does not have to be full of needless risks caused by some comapny that is covering up a SIGNIFICANT FAULT with their product.

*patiently waits for something horrible to happen to Moog-Type-S or someone he loves that was the DIRECT RESULT of some company's neglegence and see how he responds then.
Word on the street is Toyota began investigating this back in 2007....is that far enough back for you?

Yes, people will have and will continue to die from defective automobiles, aircraft, boats, spoons, toiletpaper, thumbtacks.....etc.

If you can't understand that, then you don't understand the nature of building automobiles. They will fail eventually from faulty parts, design issues....etc and so on. Sometimes people get injured....sometimes they die.

Negligence that you throw at Toyota has to be proven.
At this point it has not been proven.

You need to understand this. Faulty part is one thing, wrongful negligence is another entirely different thing.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by phee
drive by wire absolutely sucks. kills the entire feel of the car.
I've had it in the past 3 cars I have owned.
First vehicle was a bit "different"....but the last two have been seamless

It has gotten better and better as time goes on.

FWIW electronic throttle won't go away...it's tied in with better MPG & emmissions.....the gov. likes that stuff.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Recall News