Toyota: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
drive by wire absolutely sucks. kills the entire feel of the car.
Practically every F1 car in the past 18 (?) years has DBW throttles
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I've had it in the past 3 cars I have owned.
First vehicle was a bit "different"....but the last two have been seamless

It has gotten better and better as time goes on.

FWIW electronic throttle won't go away...it's tied in with better MPG & emmissions.....the gov. likes that stuff.
The only thing the stooges in the govt like is the larger demographic of voters. As long as they find the right crowd they will follow along with what they want.

That said i like DBW as to me i think you are able to finesse the throttle easier. (as long as it has a good feel to it)
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I was telling you when one of my transmissions failed at 8k....ya see?
Brand new transmissions should not fail at 8k miles - regardless of fluid condition....unless they are made of glass

Word on the street is Toyota began investigating this back in 2007....is that far enough back for you?

Yes, people will have and will continue to die from defective automobiles, aircraft, boats, spoons, toiletpaper, thumbtacks.....etc.

If you can't understand that, then you don't understand the nature of building automobiles. They will fail eventually from faulty parts, design issues....etc and so on. Sometimes people get injured....sometimes they die.

Negligence that you throw at Toyota has to be proven.
At this point it has not been proven.

You need to understand this. Faulty part is one thing, wrongful negligence is another entirely different thing.
before you comment any further, please remove Toyota's ball sack from your mouth so you can actually see what is going on here.

1. Toyota had problems as far back as 2004 at least...

2. Toyota knew about the problem and did not fix it until they were pressured into doing so after the death of the CHP officer. They then decided to take the cheapest route which was zip tie the floormats. Unfortunately that there floormat recall did not and has not and will not fix the issue and that is why they are looking at the next cheapest fix by cuttin off the bottom of the pedals and now the are stuck becuase by blaming CTS even though some of the cars such as the Lexus have a DENSO unit...

3. Toyota has most definately been neglegent in this case and it WILL bite them in the ass as the lawsuits are already rolling in and some of them are asking that Toyota not be allowed to resume production until they have a guaranteed fix.

4. ABC News reports over 2000 incidents of Toyota cars accellerating
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Runawa...ory?id=8980479. tell me what about these japanese made prius that have the same problem and again use denso parts

5. This issue has been investigated no less than 6 times, tell me how many times did the NTSB investigate the 5AT? once. (BTW it only took a few incidents for Honda to figure out what was wrong - gear getting chipped causing catastrophic transaxle failure- and correct it and guess what, NO ONE DIED)

I dunno why you cannot understand that Toyota is 100% at fault here in the problem and how they handled it......

You're right trans should not fail at 8K but guess what? it happends and you didn't die......
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Fox News is now reporting that Toyota is denying that the problem is electronics related.........this is not going well.

NTSB needs to get off of their ass and do their job before more people die
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Another Toyota That Takes The Lives Of Four Innocent Americans :(

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/cr...2.1459365.html

CREST HILL, Ill. (CBS) ―

State police want to know what caused a violent car crash in Crest Hill early Saturday.

A car hit a tree for some reason cutting short four lives. CBS 2's Derrick Blakley reports on the special bond the deceased all shared.

Charles Melvin could have been in that car Friday night.

He was invited to go out with the four men who died, but instead, took his kids to dinner to celebrate their good grades.

Melvin was at the crash scene Saturday evening to share his grief and honor their memory.

"All of them were great guys," Melvin said. "They just had an unfortunate accident. I lost four really good friends."

Grieving family members at the crash scene shed tears, left candles, balloons, and shared memories of the four who lost their lives. All close buddies who grew up together in Romeoville, along with Charles Melvin.

"We've known each other since we've been kids. We were all childhood friends. I've got pictures of us when we were in little league baseball," Melvin said.

It happened around 1:30 a.m. Saturday, a late model Lexus careened off Weber Road just north of Knapp Road, apparently skidded out of control, and slammed into a tree. Three men were found inside the car and one man was ejected, according to Lockport Township Fire Protection District Battalion Chief John Kure, who said all four men were pronounced dead at the scene.

Krystal Dorey arrived at the scene before police.

"I didn't see it actually happen but I did see the bodies in the car. I think it just happened on impact. They just hit the tree and that was it," Dorey said.

Killed in the crash were Adolfo Bejarano, of Romeoville, a junior college culinary student, and his cousin, Juan Pinto, 32, of Romeoville, who leaves behind three children.

"I just don't understand why it happened," said Christina Roman, Pinto's cousin. "It was their time. It was their time."

Also killed were Shaun Kavanagh, 30, of Plainfield, and Anthony Maniscalli Jr., 27, of Channahon. All good-hearted men, says Melvin, that God must have had a mission for, to claim them so soon.

"To take all four of them at once, he needed a group of good people to go up there and do something," Melvin said.

According to Melvin, the Lexus the four men were in belonged to Pinto.

State police intend to reconstruct the accident as part of their investigation. They'll be trying to find out whether speed, mechanical failure, alcohol or drugs played a role in the crash.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Suzuka Master

So now the total could be up to 23? wow...........
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts

It looks like an ES.. too early to judge if it's related.. the accident was at 130AM so more than likely alcohol was involved.. sad nonetheless.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
before you comment any further, please remove Toyota's ball sack from your mouth so you can actually see what is going on here.

1. Toyota had problems as far back as 2004 at least...

2. Toyota knew about the problem and did not fix it until they were pressured into doing so after the death of the CHP officer. They then decided to take the cheapest route which was zip tie the floormats. Unfortunately that there floormat recall did not and has not and will not fix the issue and that is why they are looking at the next cheapest fix by cuttin off the bottom of the pedals and now the are stuck becuase by blaming CTS even though some of the cars such as the Lexus have a DENSO unit...

3. Toyota has most definately been neglegent in this case and it WILL bite them in the ass as the lawsuits are already rolling in and some of them are asking that Toyota not be allowed to resume production until they have a guaranteed fix.

4. ABC News reports over 2000 incidents of Toyota cars accellerating
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Runawa...ory?id=8980479. tell me what about these japanese made prius that have the same problem and again use denso parts

5. This issue has been investigated no less than 6 times, tell me how many times did the NTSB investigate the 5AT? once. (BTW it only took a few incidents for Honda to figure out what was wrong - gear getting chipped causing catastrophic transaxle failure- and correct it and guess what, NO ONE DIED)

I dunno why you cannot understand that Toyota is 100% at fault here in the problem and how they handled it......

You're right trans should not fail at 8K but guess what? it happends and you didn't die......

These are YOUR opinions, not proof.
There is no proof of wrongful negligence.
You still don't understand.
All the conspiracy theories in the world are not going to prove wrongful negligence on the part of Toyota.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Let's be serious now.....let's not post every Toyota car wreck in this thread.

There are hundreds of Toyota car wrecks everyday....accidents not throttle issue related.

However if throttle related, post them here.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Practically every F1 car in the past 18 (?) years has DBW throttles
and ive never driven any of them. but i have driven tl,tsx,camry and they all feel like they have throttle lag and just dont drive the same
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Here's Toyota's line: its two recalls for floormats and sticking accelerator pedals should cover all potential cases of sudden unintended acceleration in its batch of recalled vehicles. Both recalls are for mechanical issues, and Toyota spokesman John Hanson claims, "After man years of exhaustive testing we have not found any evidence of an electronic [software] problem that would have led to unwanted acceleration."

Enter Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple and a jolly guy who knows a thing or two about software. While speaking at the Discovery Forum 2010, the Woz claimed that his 2010 Prius, which is not a part of either recall, has an accelerator that "goes wild but only under certain conditions of cruise control." He also claimed that it's repeatable. Though Woz said he has tried to contact both Toyota and the National Highway Traffic Safety Institute, neither has reportedly investigated his claim.

Why is this news? Because despite Toyota's claim that any potential risk for sudden unintentional acceleration in its recalled vehicles is mechanically related, there are lingering reports of other cases, including ones involving vehicles not affected by either recall, that could be software-related. Proving that software caused an instance of sudden acceleration is tricky, so the fact that Woz claims he can repeat the issue makes his case appear to be one worth investigating.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts

:moog:
Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Woz's post about his problem
I have owned many Prius's. I currently drive a 2010 one. Let's say that I'm in some place where the speed 85 mph is legal. I can nudge my cruise control speed lever and my speed barely goes up, say from 80 to 81.I nudge at again and again, up to 83. Then I nudge it again and the car takes off, no speed limit. Nudging the cruise speed control lever down has no effect until I've done it about 10 times or more. By then my Prius is doing 97. It's scary because it's so wrong and so out of your normal control. I tested this over and over the night I observed it.

It's scary because you don't think of things like putting the car in neutral when this happens. I am sure you can't turn the car off with the keyless power button, the only option on this model.

Braking does disable this scary cruise control effect. It is a natural response, so the problem is mitigated a great deal.

I have not seen this happen before so I think it's new to the 2010. I have the package which includes parallel parking assist and cruise control distance limiter.
http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...8&cid=29973870

All the other Toyota accelerator issues state that braking does not work and the car continues to accelerate. Woz states that brakes override his cruise control issue.

Sounds to me like a cruise control "issue" not a accelerator/pedal/software/mechanical issue

It's a "new" symptom?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Let's be serious now.....let's not post every Toyota car wreck in this thread.

There are hundreds of Toyota car wrecks everyday....accidents not throttle issue related.

However if throttle related, post them here.
LOL, No kidding.

When i read that article i was curious where the relevance was to this topic as it was most likely a drunk driver or many other reasons to why that accident occured.

I saw a Camry last week that was rear ended while sitting at a red light......that to i guess should probably be blamed for unintended acceleration.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Woz's post about his problem

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...8&cid=29973870

All the other Toyota accelerator issues state that braking does not work and the car continues to accelerate. Woz states that brakes override his cruise control issue.

Sounds to me like a cruise control "issue" not a accelerator/pedal/software/mechanical issue

It's a "new" symptom?
But it IS all part of the same system that controls the throttle.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
But it IS all part of the same system that controls the throttle.
Then why do the brakes override it?
It may be a faulty cruise control switch/stalk.

Sounds like a new and different problem related to the Prius.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,080 Likes on 2,697 Posts

Its a computer. Why one program glitch out on one machine, but on another machine of the exact same spec it does not?

Toyota is obviously having issues with the ECUs in a small number of cars, problem is that its a random number.

This pedal fix is total BS, and if it happens again Toyota is DoA. I listened to the NPR report on it last night...the execs from Toyota just couldnt answer the question without actually answering the question. I'm glad their pedal manufacturer are not letting themselves be thrown under the bus for this.

When will Lexus get the same recall? Didn't 2 of these documented incidents and crashes stem of Lexus?

Is Toyota playing the odds?

Anyone remember the Pinto...the car that nearly ended Ford? Ford at the time calculated it was cheaper to payout settlements than to issue any sort of recall or halt production....Sounds like Toyota was trying to follow suit.

I'm still amazed that are so ball-less in this day and age of the information highway, to think they keep bullshitting and people will eat it up.

Time will tell, personally I dont believe its pedal, everything I've heard, including a car tech who had it happen, say it points to the ECU. And if it does happen again I wouldnt be surprised if we never hear about it...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Its a computer. Why one program glitch out on one machine, but on another machine of the exact same spec it does not?

Toyota is obviously having issues with the ECUs in a small number of cars, problem is that its a random number.

This pedal fix is total BS, and if it happens again Toyota is DoA. I listened to the NPR report on it last night...the execs from Toyota just couldnt answer the question without actually answering the question. I'm glad their pedal manufacturer are not letting themselves be thrown under the bus for this.

When will Lexus get the same recall? Didn't 2 of these documented incidents and crashes stem of Lexus?

Is Toyota playing the odds?

Anyone remember the Pinto...the car that nearly ended Ford? Ford at the time calculated it was cheaper to payout settlements than to issue any sort of recall or halt production....Sounds like Toyota was trying to follow suit.

I'm still amazed that are so ball-less in this day and age of the information highway, to think they keep bullshitting and people will eat it up.

Time will tell, personally I dont believe its pedal, everything I've heard, including a car tech who had it happen, say it points to the ECU. And if it does happen again I wouldnt be surprised if we never hear about it...
At this point it's a "switch" not a computer software issue.

If it turns out that it is software, and the pedal and mat issues, recalls of millions of cars, stopping the sale and mfg. of existing models, new shim mfg., new pedal design mfg., nhtsa lead astray.......then Toyota really played out an elaborate scheme of charade and cover-up & criminal negligence....probably the biggest ever in the automotive industry, and perhaps one of the biggest of any industry.

That's a big "if". Why Toyota would hedge its bets so heavily is uncertain.
Clearly, if true, they have more to lose than to win.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,080 Likes on 2,697 Posts

That's a big "if". Why Toyota would hedge its bets so heavily is uncertain.
Clearly, if true, they have more to lose than to win.
Same reasons as any other big company that once stood on the top.

Corporate Greed and thinking your so much the #1 guy nothing can touch you.

I feel like Toyota and Honda have gotten content and lazy. If I had the capital to open a car dealer right now...I'd buy a hyundai franchise. Hell, I love to get the old Santa Monica Infiniti spot that sitting empty and open Santa Monica Hyundai right there...Caddy corner to Toyota no less :giggle:

And in 5 years when Hyundai is number one, they'll enjoy for it awhile, til they too get greedy and lazy.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by cp3117
LOL, No kidding.

When i read that article i was curious where the relevance was to this topic as it was most likely a drunk driver or many other reasons to why that accident occured.

I saw a Camry last week that was rear ended while sitting at a red light......that to i guess should probably be blamed for unintended acceleration.
A member of ClubLexus with over 10,000 posts personally knew the men involved in the accident. According to him, the 911 call revealed that the accelerator was stuck and the car was traveling at 120 MPH. That, to me, makes the article relevant to this thread. Then again, that is just me.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

It's going to cost Toyota over a Billion dolloars

The last two weeks have been marked by a massive media blitz by parties looking to explain, question and understand the recent recalls issued by Toyota. Toyota itself has also fought to clarify the situation and maintain its image as a safety leader, and in the midst of the multifaceted campaign being waged by many parties, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Toyota have found themselves at odds on more than one occasion.

The initial conflict between NHTSA and Toyota

Dating back to the widely publicized accident that resulted in the tragic deaths of a California Highway Patrolman and three of his family members, in November 2009, conflict became public between NHTSA and Toyota following a press release by Toyota that was immediately labeled as “inaccurate and misleading,” according to NHTSA. Toyota’s press release in question claimed “that no defect exists in vehicles in which the driver’s floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured.”

NHTSA immediately released a counter-statement, saying, ” This remedy does not correct the underlying defect in the vehicles involving the potential for entrapment of the accelerator by floor mats, which is related to accelerator and floor pan design.”

The current conflict

Fast forward to today, and yet again Transportation Secretary LaHood has publicly questioned the actions by Toyota throughout the recall process, even dating back to early investigations and the subsequent inaction that followed.

“Since questions were first raised about possible safety defects, we have been pushing Toyota to take measures to protect consumers. While Toyota is taking responsible action now, it unfortunately took an enormous effort to get to this point, ” said LaHood.

Although not directly responding to LaHood’s latest criticism, Toyota released a statement of their own.

Toyota said, “Nothing is more important to us than the safety and reliability of the vehicles our customers drive. Secretary LaHood said to us that the soonest possible action would be in the best interests of our customers, and we took his advice very seriously and instituted a recall.”

Toyota went on to say, “We are very grateful for his advice and we feel that we have been given a chance to regain our customers’ trust. We will continue to cooperate fully with NHTSA on all vehicle safety issues.”

Speaking with the Associated Press, LaHood said that Toyota was “a little safety deaf.”

Detroit News has confirmed that LaHood, among other safety officials, traveled to Japan to visit with Toyota and remind them of the recalls and safety issues just two days before the latest recall involving 2.3 million faulty accelerator pedals.

LaHood said, “DOT officials flew to Japan in December to remind Toyota management about its legal obligations and followed up with a meeting at DOT headquarters in January to insist that they address the accelerator pedal issue.”

According to LaHood’s timeline, it was then five days later that Toyota finally agreed to stop sales of the affected vehicles until a fix could be found – resulting in six North American assembly plants being idled for at least a week.

“We’re not finished with Toyota and are continuing to review possible defects and monitor the implementation of the recalls, ” said LaHood.

According to Detroit News, NHTSA is also considering imposing civil penalties on Toyota for its delayed action, in addition to continuing to closely monitor Toyota.

President Obama’s take

Contrasting the very sharp criticism issued by LaHood and fellow NHTSA officials, President Obama has publicly said that the administration is pleased with Toyota’s plan to address the recent recalls.

The damage

Early estimates from Toyota suggest that the recall will cost Toyota $900 million, and an additional $155 million per week in lost sales revenue

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nhtsa-cr...tml#more-25429
Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

? dotn know, im not sure how their computer programing is, but to not have a brake overide in normal driving is dumb, and something they need. The fact it shuts it down with the cruise is no surprise as the brakes normally deactivate it anyway and would answer why it does. Either way that is a ecu/programing/sensor issue.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

These are YOUR opinions, not proof.
There is no proof of wrongful negligence.
You still don't understand.
All the conspiracy theories in the world are not going to prove wrongful negligence on the part of Toyota.
facts they are even if you do not want to accept them.....

please do yourself a favor and do some actual research before you say anything else....you are making your self look BAD......
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Some more articles

http://money.ca.msn.com/investing/ne...entid=23377894

AP Interview: US Transportation chief says Toyota "a little safety deaf" on gas pedal problems

WASHINGTON - The Obama administration's top transportation official sharply criticized Toyota Motor Corp. on Tuesday for dragging its feet on safety concerns over its gas pedals, suggesting the automaker was "a little safety deaf" to mounting evidence of problems.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told The Associated Press that federal safety officials had to "wake them up" to the seriousness of the safety issues that eventually led Toyota to recall millions of popular brands like Camry and Corolla. That included a visit to Toyota's offices in Japan to convince them to take action.

"They should have taken it seriously from the very beginning when we first started discussing it with them," LaHood told AP. "Maybe they were a little safety deaf."

LaHood also said the government was considering civil penalties for Toyota over its handling of the recalls but declined to elaborate. The potential fines were first reported by the Detroit News. The largest auto industry fine came in 2004, when General Motors paid $1 million for responding too slowly on a recall of nearly 600,000 vehicles over windshield wiper failure.

The pointed comments came as Toyota showed just how painful the recall has been for the automaker that makes some of the best-selling vehicles in the United States. Sales fell 16 per cent in January, hurt by Toyota's decision to halt sales while it sorted out a fix for problems with faulty gas pedals. Most other automakers reported sales gains for the month as the broader industry continued to show signs of improvement.

One of the more trusted brands of cars and trucks, Toyota is scrambling to repair both vehicles subject to its broad recalls and its image with consumers. Toyota executives apologized Monday to consumers for the problems, which has shaken the confidence of many Toyota drivers.

The company planned to ship parts to dealers as early as Tuesday that are designed to fix pedals that could stick when drivers try to accelerate or ease up on the gas. That problem prompted the company to recall 2.3 million vehicles two weeks ago in the United States. Toyota hopes a small steel insert the size of a postage stamp will solve problems with friction that are blamed for the potential glitch.

LaHood said the Toyota recalls "may be the most serious safety issue that we have faced here at DOT" during his tenure. "This is a big deal, this is a big safety issue," LaHood said.

Asked for reaction to LaHood's comments to the AP, Toyota said in a statement Tuesday: "Nothing is more important to us than the safety and reliability of the vehicles our customers drive. Secretary LaHood said to us that the soonest possible action would be in the best interests of our customers, and we took his advice very seriously and instituted a recall."

"We are very grateful for his advice and we feel that we have been given a chance to regain our customers' trust," Toyota said.

LaHood said there appeared to be a disconnect between Toyota's North American offices and the company's headquarters in Japan. Toyota officials in North America took the problem seriously, but the Japan operation needed to be prodded, he said. LaHood said it took a trip by a top transportation official to Japan "to wake them up to the idea that this is a serious issue."

LaHood confirmed that the government was investigating potential electronic problems in the Toyota vehicles but declined to discuss the ongoing investigation. A Transportation official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation, said the government was taking a fresh look at the electronic throttle control system and potential electromagnetic interference.

In October, Toyota recalled more than 4 million vehicles to replace floor mats that were suspected of causing accelerators to get stuck, leading to crashes. The recall has since grown to more than 5 million vehicles. Toyota has announced a separate fix for that problem.

Beginning in 2003, the government conducted several investigations into reports of unwanted acceleration involving Toyota vehicles but failed to find any evidence that the vehicles were defective. When the government probed reports of floor mats in Lexus vehicles jamming gas pedals, Toyota said there was "no possibility of pedal interference" with the floor mats if they were placed properly and secured.

But a government survey of Lexus owners found dozens of reports of sudden acceleration and evidence that in some crashes owners had pressed hard on the brakes but failed to stop the vehicles. The investigation led Toyota to recall an accessory all-weather floor mat for 55,000 Lexus vehicles in September 2007.

The problems grew last August when a California Highway Patrol officer and three family members were killed in a high-speed crash aboard a 2009 Lexus ES350. The Lexus hit speeds exceeding 120 mph, struck a sport utility vehicle, launched off an embankment, rolled several times and burst into flames as a family member called 911.

LaHood said the seriousness of the issue was clear after federal officials listened to 911 tapes from the crash. The caller told the dispatcher that the accelerator was stuck and the vehicle was speeding up shortly before the call goes dead.

"It's a serious safety issue," LaHood said. "We're not going to sit by and let these kinds of crashes occur without them taking very, very quick action."

Congress is expected to also take a close look at the government's role in the Toyota recalls. LaHood and Yoshi Inaba, chairman and CEO of Toyota Motor North America, were asked to testify next week in front of the House Oversight and Government Reform.

Separately, the investigative panel of the House Energy and Commerce Committee is planning a Feb. 25 hearing on the Toyota cases. That panel asked Toyota Tuesday for more information on the timing of its recall and its proof that electronics were not to blame for the pedal problems.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...02&id=11082556

Toyota U.S. sales reel from crisis; GM, Ford surge

DETROIT (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp sales dropped 16 percent in January as the automaker reeled from a massive recall and rivals Ford Motor Co and General Motors Corp surged past it in the U.S. market.

Toyota's U.S. market share fell to its lowest level since January 2006 and its monthly sales dropped below 100,000 vehicles for the first time in more than a decade.

Overall auto sales rose 6 percent from a year earlier, powered by revived purchases by rental car companies which had dropped out of the market a year earlier due to tight credit and concerns about a deepening slump in the economy.

Fears of an extended sales slump pushed Toyota's shares down 3.7 percent in a flat market in Tokyo, compounding a slide that has sent the stock down 17 percent since its recall was announced on January 21.

As Toyota sales spun into reverse, Ford and Hyundai Motor Co emerged as the big winners, each posting 24 percent sales gains.

In one telling benchmark, the Ford brand outsold Toyota, Scion and Lexus on a combined basis. GM's volume-leading Chevrolet brand also topped Toyota on its own.

"Auto sales and market share is kind of like a high-speed road race and if you get caught up in the gravel on the shoulder you can get passed really fast, and essentially that is what happened to Toyota," Autoconomy analyst Erich Merkle said.

"Right now we have to find out how long it is going to take them to get back on pavement again," Merkle said.

Investors in Tokyo were also trying to gauge the long-term impact of the recall, as well as the weight of Toyota's surplus production capacity on profitability.

"The possibility that the impact will last two to three years is low, but that doesn't mean we're rushing in to buy Toyota now -- there are too many unknowns," said Akihiro Tsunoda, senior investment manager at Sompo Japan Asset Management.

Toyota's weak sales report came as U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood took a harder line with the automaker for what he said was a slow response to safety complaints.

"We're not finished with Toyota," LaHood said in an emailed statement to Reuters.

U.S. government officials said Toyota could face both an unusual civil penalty because of the recall and an expanded probe that would focus on electric controls. Either development could further damage the Japanese automaker's reputation for quality and cast a shadow over its results.

Toyota said its U.S. sales had been meeting company projections until the last week of January when it was forced to take the unprecedented action of turning away customers for many of its best-selling vehicles.

Eight of Toyota's 19 models -- about 60 percent of the carmaker's U.S. inventory -- could not be sold because of faulty accelerators during the crucial last week of the month, the peak time for auto sales.

That cost Toyota almost 20,000 sales of cars and light trucks, executives estimated. That would represent more than $500 million in lost revenue during the last week of January based on average vehicle sale prices.

In addition, Toyota faces costs of $250 million for its first set of repairs under recall. The total cost of the recall would easily top $1 billion to Toyota and could deepen in the weeks ahead, analysts have said.

NISSAN, GM SALES UP

Nissan Motor Co appeared to benefit from Toyota's woes as its sales rose 16 percent. GM's rose 14 percent.

Honda Motor Co, which made a point of not following its rivals in targeting Toyota customers, saw its sales drop 5 percent.

Chrysler, still the industry's weakest player, posted a sales drop of 8 percent. Chrysler, now controlled by Fiat SpA, has seen sales fall for 25 consecutive months.

Ford's U.S. market share ticked up to 16 percent in January. Toyota, which had 17 percent market share in 2009, saw its share fall to just above 14 percent.

Toyota's U.S. brand chief, Bob Carter, said sales for Toyota models outside the recall appeared to have dodged the fallout from the safety action but cautioned that that could change. "I'm not underestimating the confusion," he said.

Ford shares ended the day more than 2.4 percent higher. The stock has posted an eight-fold gain over the past year.

"We consider Ford as one of the companies best-positioned to benefit from Toyota's tribulations but see others looking to gain too," Standard & Poor's equity analyst Efraim Levy said.

A major factor behind Ford's gain was that sales to fleet operators including rental companies more than doubled, accounting for about 37 percent of its overall sales.

Retail sales through Ford showrooms were down 5 percent, in line with what analysts and executives have said was a slow month for an industry still facing an unsteady recovery.

"We should not expect the road to recovery to be smooth," said Ford economist Emily Kolinski Morris.

GM's results were also buoyed by fleet sales, which rose to 29 percent of total sales, from 25 percent last year.

Partly as a result, GM's U.S. market share jumped to almost 21 percent, from 15 percent a year earlier when the automaker had been hit by consumer concern about its U.S. government bailout.

But GM pointed to success in reducing sales incentives and increasing prices as a sign of progress in a turnaround it expects will put it on track for an IPO later this year.

"We're earning share, not buying it, getting off the incentive drug," GM U.S. sales and marketing chief Susan Docherty said.

She added: "Our dealers tell us they are seeing more Toyota owners and customers in their stores than what they have seen in the past."

Industry-wide sales were 10.78 million vehicles in January on an annualized basis, according to industry-tracking service Autodata. GM said it expected Toyota's troubles had cut 200,000 vehicles from that annualized sales rate.

Sales had been 9.6 million a year earlier and 11.2 million in December, when showroom traffic was supported by year-end incentives and an expiring tax credit.

Analysts expect 2010 sales in the U.S. market -- now the second-largest vehicle market behind China -- to recover above 11 million sales compared with a 27-year-low of 10.4 million unit sales in 2009.

See also Toyota TAKE A LOOK

(Additional reporting by Soyoung Kim and Bernie Woodall in Detroit and Mayumi Negishi in Tokyo, editing by Matthew Lewis)

© 2010 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
A member of ClubLexus with over 10,000 posts personally knew the men involved in the accident. According to him, the 911 call revealed that the accelerator was stuck and the car was traveling at 120 MPH. That, to me, makes the article relevant to this thread. Then again, that is just me.
LOL....Dont you think thats a rather important part of the post that you left out??

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-...car-crash.html

Here is the link from CL and as someone has already posted in there, the investigation isnt complete yet and there is a probablility that the poster is confused with the 911 call last year with the CHP trooper in So-Cal. Either way you have to wait till the investigation is complete and no media reports have indicated anything yet about a 911 call.

As Moog has been trying to say, lets try staying with the facts rather than trying to add to the internet frenzy already going on over this.

Last edited by cp3117; 02-02-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

No matter what the issue is toyota is going to suffer from this for a long time to come
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Honda Fanboy

LOL....Dont you think thats a rather important part of the post that you left out??

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-...car-crash.html

Here is the link from CL and as someone has already posted in there, the investigation isnt complete yet and there is a probablility that the poster is confused with the 911 call last year with the CHP trooper in So-Cal. Either way you have to wait till the investigation is complete and no media reports have indicated anything yet about a 911 call.

As Moog has been trying to say, lets try staying with the facts rather than trying to add to the internet frenzy already going on over this.
See what happens when you follow my lead and do some actual research? You get results! Thanks for contributing.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

lol at the lets stay with the facts while totally overlooking the facts that were already in place before this story broke

1. 2000+ incidents reported of Toyota cars having surges in accelleration.
2. At least 19 people are dead.
3. Toyota has known about this problem for a very long time

"Toyota has been under scrutiny for suspected unintended acceleration for approximately 10 years. A total of 19 deaths have been connected to unintended acceleration in Toyotas over the decade, according to some analysts, a figure the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration called "plausible," based on its own research.

source

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/01/auto...x.htm?hpt=Sbin
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
See what happens when you follow my lead and do some actual research? You get results! Thanks for contributing.
Thankfully no one here really follows your lead.....

If you mean by doing proper and accurate research and providing the facts that are available and correcting your post rather than you trying to sensationalize everthing..........then yes you are right and your welcome..
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Honda Fanboy

Thankfully no one here really follows your lead.....

If you mean by doing proper and accurate research and providing the facts that are available and correcting your post rather than you trying to sensationalize everthing..........then yes you are right and your welcome..
Again, thank YOU! I guess there is a first for everything. Lets hope you continue like this.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts

I think Toyota said that some/most of their '10 MY cars have the brake over-ride feature - meaning that applying the brakes over-rides any gas pedal inputs - like some of the other makers already have. So this Prius may have the "unintended acceleration" problem but applying the brakes eliminates it - unlike previous MY cars.

For some reason I think this would not be an issue with an MT car - folks who are used to using their left leg would instinctively push the clutch in if the engine decided to do something wrong.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet...
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Anyone address the myriad of Prius brake failure complaints in the US and Japan yet? 'Twas on the radio this morning.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Cruisin'

to cover up a major software supplier $$$$$ DUH 111
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Cruisin'

software ??? (howbout microsoft several cos removed) LLC gains new meaning.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Transportation Secy: Don't Drive Recalled Toyotas

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood is advising owners of recalled Toyotas to stop driving them and seek repair immediately.

LaHood's warning came Wednesday in testimony before a House Appropriations subcommittee on transportation. LaHood says his advice to owners is to "stop driving it. Take it to a Toyota dealer because they believe they have a fix for it."
LaHood told reporters earlier in the day that Toyota owners should contact their dealer immediately and "exercise caution until repairs can be made."

LaHood on Tuesday said Toyota was slow to deal with safety problems with its gas pedals, asserting in an interview with the Associated Press that it took government pressure to force the company to recall millions of its most popular vehicles.
http://wcbstv.com/local/stop.driving...2.1467177.html
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^wow!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
facts they are even if you do not want to accept them.....

please do yourself a favor and do some actual research before you say anything else....you are making your self look BAD......
Show us all the facts that show that Toyota was/is criminally negligent.
Then we will all believe. Until then, they are your opinions and theories.

No one has come forward from the NHTSA that claims Toyota was/is criminally negligent.

If you don't find that statement to be true, please provide a link.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
No matter what the issue is toyota is going to suffer from this for a long time to come

No doubt Toyota will suffer...whether in the right or wrong.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Recall News