Toyota: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
lol at the lets stay with the facts while totally overlooking the facts that were already in place before this story broke

1. 2000+ incidents reported of Toyota cars having surges in accelleration.
2. At least 19 people are dead.
3. Toyota has known about this problem for a very long time

"Toyota has been under scrutiny for suspected unintended acceleration for approximately 10 years. A total of 19 deaths have been connected to unintended acceleration in Toyotas over the decade, according to some analysts, a figure the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration called "plausible," based on its own research.

source

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/01/auto...x.htm?hpt=Sbin
Confused about the red text I don't think you were meaning sarcasm

You still do not appear to understand what it means to be criminally negligent.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...100209971/1147

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Department of Transportation is looking into whether Toyota Motor Corp.'s problems with unintended acceleration can be traced to defects in the electronic controls rather than just the mechanical problems cited by the automaker, a Transportation official said today.

“We're not finished with Toyota and are continuing to review possible defects and monitor the implementation of the recalls,” Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said today in a statement.

When asked whether the federal review includes possible electronic problems with Toyota vehicles, a Transportation official who asked not to be identified responded in an e-mail, “Yes.”

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said he knows little about the expanded federal investigation.

"After many years of extensive testing, we've found no evidence of an electronic problem that could have contributed to unwanted acceleration," Hanson said in an interview. "We've investigated many times and found no evidence to point to."

Since announcing its recalls and a production halt last week, Toyota has maintained that problems with unintended acceleration were limited to floor mat interference and sticky accelerator pedals.

Accusations denied

Shinichi Sasaki, Toyota's vice president in charge of quality, today denied accusations that electronic malfunctions were contributing to the reports of unintended acceleration.

“We have not come across any case in which we have found a malfunction,” Sasaki said in an interview in Japan. “But if any additional reports arise, we will conduct testing using all technology at our disposal.”

Also, in a full-page advertisement that ran in many U.S. newspapers today, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. President Jim Lentz said: “We have launched a comprehensive plan to permanently fix the vehicles we've recalled because in rare instances, accelerator pedals can, over time, become slow to release or get stuck. We know what's causing this and what we have to do to fix it.”

But Safety Research & Strategies, a consulting firm, said in a posting on its Web site: “Neither floor mats nor sticking accelerator pedals explain many, many incidents” of unintended acceleration.

Electronics have 'significant role'

“By all appearances, electronics are playing a significant role in the problems," Sean Kane, president of Safety Research & Strategies, said in an interview. The Transportation Department investigation “has needed to happen for some time,'' Kane said.

The investigation should cover 2002-06 Camry cars and 2005-07 Tacoma pickups, both of which have been the subject of numerous consumer complaints suggesting possible electronic defects, he said.

In one case that has raised questions about electronic flaws, Bulent Ezal's 2005 Camry surged over the curb of a restaurant parking lot, lurched 23 feet and careened 70 feet down a cliff into the surf of the Pacific Ocean, killing Ezal's wife, said his attorney, Donald Slavik of Milwaukee.

“His foot was on the brake, floor mats were in position and hooked on, and he was about to shift into park,'' Slavik said. “I'm highly confident it was electronic in nature."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0eUjDzrMv
Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Known issue for 10 years which NHTSA says 19 deaths are probably related including many more injuries. Thousands of complaints related to throttle control system that accelerate without the driver input and now gov't intervention pressures Toyota to stop production & create a fix to avert more injuries / deaths.

Sounds like that's gross criminal negligence, borderline malfeasance and definitely blind to the corporate ethos standard. These Toyota corporate fuckers should be committing ritual seppukku for their acts.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,080 Likes on 2,697 Posts
Interesting...I've mentioned the 05 Tacoma a couple now, I know in the other thread car talk they tried to lance me for mentioning it....

Glad to see they have the same doubts a lot of us have in regards to it being strictly mechanical.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Interesting
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Majofo
Known issue for 10 years which NHTSA says 19 deaths are probably related including many more injuries. Thousands of complaints related to throttle control system that accelerate without the driver input and now gov't intervention pressures Toyota to stop production & create a fix to avert more injuries / deaths.

Sounds like that's gross criminal negligence, borderline malfeasance and definitely blind to the corporate ethos standard. These Toyota corporate fuckers should be committing ritual seppukku for their acts.
Here is the quote again...no sarc.

Toyota has been under scrutiny for suspected unintended acceleration for approximately 10 years. A total of 19 deaths have been connected to unintended acceleration in Toyotas over the decade, according to some analysts, a figure the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration called "plausible," based on its own research.
Under scrutiny, and plausible....does not equal criminal negligence.

If Toyota is found to be crimanlly negligent....then so be it.
They deserve what would be coming to them.

The fact is that these are your opinions.....allegations based on you opinions do not prove criminal negligence on the part of Toyota.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by subinf
Interesting
indeed.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Oops!

Feb. 3 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said he misspoke today when he said owners of recalled Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles should stop driving them until the company fixes a defect causing sudden acceleration.

LaHood sought to clarify his remarks in comments to reporters after a congressional hearing. He said that if owners are in doubt, they should take their cars to the dealership.

In earlier comments to a House Appropriations panel hearing in Washington, LaHood advised drivers to “stop driving it and take it to a Toyota dealer.”

“What I said in there was obviously a misstatement,” LaHood told reporters. “If you own one of these cars, take it to the dealer. If you are in doubt, take it to the dealer and have them fix it.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...1G1ULGtY&pos=1
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Hardly a "misspoke".....I bet he got a phone call that was not "pleasant".

Toyota and the NHTSA are all over the board with their press releases and statements.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
It's too late - you can't unring a bell. That "don't drive it" comment is already out there. LaHood is an idiot. Yet another reason the gov't should stay out of the way.

I feel real sorry for folks trying to sell/trade-in one of these recalled vehicles - they thought they'd get good resale on them, but until this blows over, resale values are bound to take a huge hit.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Some are down $3k over the last two weeks, according to some.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
meh, 'misspoke' whatever.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Hardly a "misspoke".....I bet he got a phone call that was not "pleasant".
I bet Rahm Emanuel called him a fucking retard.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM

Here is the quote again...no sarc.

Under scrutiny, and plausible....does not equal criminal negligence.

If Toyota is found to be crimanlly negligent....then so be it.
They deserve what would be coming to them.

The fact is that these are your opinions.....allegations based on you opinions do not prove criminal negligence on the part of Toyota.

The fact is that for years they blamed these incidents on floormats, yet didn't do anything to prevent future occurences until the highly publicized deaths of the Saylor / LaStrella family.. now they're blaming it on the accelerator pedal yet have not acknowledged a defect in their Lexus line.

So we can safely say:
  • they knew about it for years whether or not they knew the root cause
  • people kept dying even in incidents where floormats were not in the vehicle, yet they offered no investigation or probing to prevent future occurrences until recently.
  • They couldn't conceal it from the public view and they're playing damage control, as well as NHTSA.

Criminal Negligence is ambiguous to say the least unless there's hard evidence of a coverup. They definitely didn't perform due diligence in my book. Will criminal charges arise? Unfortunately, I highly doubt it as no criminal action was taken upon Ford in the deaths & fires related to their faulty cruise control switches.. a recall that spanned almost 14M vehicles built over a decade. If you want resources to the above stated facts I'd be more that happy to share, otherwise like Toyota I'm Moving Forward..... even if I don't want to.

Last edited by Majofo; 02-03-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by doopstr
Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
[QUOTE=YeuEmMaiMai;11706772]"Toyota has been under scrutiny for suspected unintended acceleration for approximately 10 years.

Something is suspicious here. If the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration knew about this. Why didn’t they say anything?
If only 2000 incidents reported out of the millions sold, then that’s nothing to be concerned about. You’re more likely to get into an accident due to driver error, and other mechanical faults.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Race Director

Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The fact is that for years they blamed these incidents on floormats, yet didn't do anything to prevent future occurences until the highly publicized deaths of the Saylor / LaStrella family.. now they're blaming it on the accelerator pedal yet have not acknowledged a defect in their Lexus line.

So we can safely say:
  • they knew about it for years whether or not they knew the root cause
  • people kept dying even in incidents where floormats were not in the vehicle, yet they offered no investigation or probing to prevent future occurrences until recently.
  • They couldn't conceal it from the public view and they're playing damage control, as well as NHTSA.

Criminal Negligence is ambiguous to say the least unless there's hard evidence of a coverup. They definitely didn't perform due diligence in my book. Will criminal charges arise? Unfortunately, I highly doubt it as no criminal action was taken upon Ford in the deaths & fires related to their faulty cruise control switches.. a recall that spanned almost 14M vehicles built over a decade. If you want resources to the above stated facts I'd be more that happy to share, otherwise like Toyota I'm Moving Forward..... even if I don't want to.
Blamed it on mats for years?!?!? Where have they been saying it "for years"?

...again "in your book"...your opinion is what it is...you are entitled to it, but if proves nothing. You can't bring corporations up on criminal charges just because you did not like the way they responded to something.

When people die because a vehicle part is defective, it does not mean that the vehicle maker is criminally negligent.

Was Ford found criminally negligent in their cruise control recall?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 02-03-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Black Tire
Something is suspicious here. If the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration knew about this. Why didn’t they say anything?
If only 2000 incidents reported out of the millions sold, then that’s nothing to be concerned about. You’re more likely to get into an accident due to driver error, and other mechanical faults.
You're under the illusion that the NHTSA protects the individual consumer.. they don't. They protect the Market & the general public. They knew about these incidents for years but refused to conduct a thorough investigation no matter the validity of the complaint. The NHTSA aligns itself with companies to ensure compliance & due diligence as they see fit.. quite often it doesn't fit the individual into the equation as the latter of your comment suggests. Would your opinion change if you were 1 of the 2000 complaints? or if your family were victims to the issue?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Some are down $3k over the last two weeks, according to some.
Just in from KBB:

Feb. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. vehicle prices recommended by Kelley Blue Book may be trimmed as much as 5 percent after a recall to fix a defect causing sudden acceleration.

The Toyota recall prompted Kelley Blue Book, the used-auto pricing service used as a guide in private-party transactions, to lower suggested rates on involved vehicles by 1 percent to 3 percent, Robyn Eckard, a Kelley spokeswoman, said today in an e- mail. Any delay by Toyota in resolving the issue may reduce prices by 3 percent to 5 percent, she said.
It's not just Toyota that is taking in the a$$.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Race Director

The cynic in me says someone out there will start a business flipping Toyotas over the short term - if you think resale values will rebound soon.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Blamed it on mats for years?!?!? Where have they been saying it "for years"?

...again "in your book"...your opinion is what it is...you are entitled to it, but if proves nothing. You can't bring corporations up on criminal charges just because you did not like the way they responded to something.

When people die because a vehicle part is defective, it does not mean that the vehicle maker is criminally negligent.

Was Ford found criminally negligent in their cruise control recall?
It does when they know there's an issue.. you're quite the scholar aren't you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6d2aOcziDA

^ over 3 years ago.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/document/NHTSA_filing_summary.pdf

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/document/NHTSA_Filing.pdf

^ From Toyota's newsroom.. Read Mr. Pepski's complaint thoroughly on how he reached the underside of the accelerator pedal to lift it up yet the throttle was still engaged. Read all the valid complaints yet ODI refuses to do a thorough investigation because NHTSA's resources are scarce.

You want my real opinion.. If this was my family, I'd kill everyone of those corporate toyota mother fuckers. Here's an idea.. why don't you post your opinion on their memorial site to save the family the embarrasment of pursuing legal action. As far as I'm concerned your can take your entitled opinion & shove it up your ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGSWs4uJzY
Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Still didn't answer my question.

Toyota blamed it on mats for years?!?!? Where have they been saying it "for years"?

As far as I know the mats were stated as a recall issue this past fall.
Clearly they have been looking into it for years......but stating that it is the problem for years?

You keep dancing around the issue. Toyota has not been found to be criminally negligent.

People die in car crashes all the time from vehicle defects for nearly a century now.
This is no different.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Recall list at-a-glance

Key:
P = Pedal recall only
F = Floor mat recall only
B = Both recalls apply

Note: Some Toyota vehicles were assembled in both Japan and North America. Japanese-built cars, identified by a vehicle identification number (VIN) that begins with J, have not been recalled for sticking pedal issues. Some have been recalled for floor mats, however.

North American market Toyotas affected by recall
Avalon (2005-2010) – B
Camry (2007-2010, except Hybrid, J VIN) – B
Camry (2007-2010 J VIN) – F
Camry Hybrid (2007-2010) – F
Corolla (2009-2010) – B
Highlander (2008-2010, except Hybrid, J VIN) – B
Highlander (2008-2010 J VIN) – F
Highlander Hybrid (2008-2010) – F
Matrix (2009-2010) – B
Prius (2004-2009) – F
RAV4 (2009-2010) – P
Sequoia (2008-2010) – P
Tacoma (2005-2010) – F
Tundra (2007-2010) - B
Venza (2009-2010) – F

European market Toyotas affected by pedal recall
Toyota’s United Kingdom office announced a pedal recall only for a number of European-market Toyotas. Check your vehicle’s build date (found on a sticker located in the driver’s door well) to verify when your car was assembled.

AYGO manual transmission (2/2005-8/2009)
iQ (11/2008-11/2009)
Yaris (11/2005-9/2009)
Auris (10/2006-1/2010)
Corolla (10/2006-12/2009)
Verso (2/2009-1/2010)
Avensis (11/2008-12/2009)

Non-Toyota products affected by pedal and/or floor mat recall
Citroen C1 (2/2005-8/2009) – P
Peugeot 107 (2/2005-8/2009) – P
Pontiac Vibe (2009-2010) – B
http://www.leftlanenews.com/list-of-...tml#more-25516
Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM

/rant
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Anybody else remember this from last year?

“How many times have you made a mistake?” Shoichiro [Toyoda] grilled [former President] Watanabe

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9yJCGNHdGWs

He was right to be pissed, and he didn't even know how bad it would get.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

maybe you should go back to back to the first grade and learn how to read? I do understand what it means to be criminallly negligent...ie knowing about a problem for 10 years and doing nothing about it......and then having 19 deaths associated with it........you know sort of like GM and the saddle tanks....
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
It does when they know there's an issue.. you're quite the scholar aren't you.

You want my real opinion.. If this was my family, I'd kill everyone of those corporate toyota mother fuckers. Here's an idea.. why don't you post your opinion on their memorial site to save the family the embarrasment of pursuing legal action. As far as I'm concerned your can take your entitled opinion & shove it up your ass.
I think you need to just back off of this issue for a while. You are clearly too emotionally involved (although I'm not sure why) and this comment is over the line.

I agree that a full investigation needs to happen and if Toyota is guilty of negligence then so be it. But verbally attacking other members and threatening physical harm to unnamed people you don't even know is a bit over the top IMO...

Last edited by majin ssj eric; 02-03-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I think you need to just back off of this issue for a while. You are clearly too emotionally involved (although I'm not sure why) and this comment is over the line.

I agree that a full investigation needs to happen and if Toyota is guilty of negligence then so be it. But verbally attacking other members and threatening physical harm to unnamed people you don't even know is a bit over the top IMO...
That's my personality..
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 PM

Another hit.. sorry if it's a

NAGOYA, Japan--The Japanese government said Wednesday that it had ordered Toyota to investigate a possible defect in its newest Prius hybrid model after receiving 14 reports of brake trouble, another blow for an automaker already embroiled in its biggest-ever recall.
The drivers have complained that the brakes on their Priuses have momentarily stopped working when driving at low speeds, especially on slippery surfaces, said Kenji Sato, a transport ministry official in charge of recall policy.

In one incident in July 2009 in Japan, a Prius collided with another vehicle at an intersection, hurting two people. Ten of the 14 complaints in Japan about the new Prius, which went on sale here last May, came in January. In the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has logged 111 complaints about the brakes on the 2010 Prius. Many are from drivers who say the vehicle surged forward or temporarily lost braking after driving over a pothole or other uneven surface, and many say it is a recurring problem....
http://news.cnet.com/Japan-tells-Toyota-to-test-Prius-brakes-for-defect/2100-11389_3-6250448.html
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Federal regulators uncovered stark evidence that some Toyota cars accelerated unexpectedly more than two years ago. But neither the government's safety agency nor the automaker apparently recognized at the time how broad the dangers would turn out to be.

During a little-noticed 2007 inquiry, investigators found that at least three of every 100 Lexus ES 350 owners in Ohio reported experiencing unintended acceleration, an unacceptably high percentage given the potentially fatal consequences, industry experts said.

"Anything over 1 percent would raise a red flag, particularly for the manufacturer," said James C. Fell, who worked at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for 30 years, and was chief of research for traffic safety programs.

The investigation opened formally in August 2007, one of the few times NHTSA commenced a full-fledged investigation into reports of Toyotas accelerating unexpectedly. More often, the inquiries have ended at the "preliminary evaluation" stage, meaning investigators reviewed the reports but didn't venture into engineering analysis. In this case, they acquired a Lexus ES 350 and attached instruments to it to monitor the operation of its accelerator and brake pedal. The investigators also exposed the accelerator system to magnetic fields.

Investigators also gathered accounts of drivers crashing in cars that sped out of control. Among those interviewed was a 70-year-old Illinois woman who was taken on a two-mile ride at 60 mph before she collided with another vehicle in an intersection.

But the investigation only partially identified the cause of the problem and, moreover, concluded it only affected a relatively small number of cars.....

2 Page article... goes on to say

After the engineering review, Toyota and the regulators decided that the cause was that the accelerator had been stuck in the grooves of the all-weather floor mats some owners had put in. It was shown that the floor mats could trap the accelerator, so the company declared a recall of approximately 55,000 such floor mats and the case was closed.
So, it appears Toyota has been "fixing" this issue by recalling floor mats for some time.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

If your family died because some corporate types decided they didn't want to pay to fix a known problem (and at this point, I think we can safely state this was a known issue), would you just practice Zen technique and wait for a not-so-sincere apology? I know I wouldn't. I probably wouldn't even make it out the door though, something would just snap and I'd be catatonic for the rest of my days. So angry that my brain would just shut down.

But then again, I may be bipolar.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Toyota admits design flaw with Prius brakes

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35214248/ns/business-autos/

TOKYO - Toyota admitted design problems with the brakes in its prized Prius, adding to the catalog of woes for the world's No. 1 automaker still reeling from a massive U.S. recall involving faulty gas pedals. Toyota Motor Corp. spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi said Thursday that Toyota discovered there were design problems with the antilock brake system and corrected them for Prius models sold since late January, including those being shipped overseas....
Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts

x2
Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Race Director

+1

Oh no, not the Prius. What will the Hollywood tree huggers drive now?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:13 AM

You sensitive types should stay out of Ramblings. I'll keep it cool in here.

Some seek justice through the law & are willing to except millions in payout.. but if someone terrified my family for minutes, then put them through a horrible crash where they all burned to death, you can bet those fuckers wont make out of their next business meeting.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

CHICAGO — The US transportation chief's public rebukes of Toyota's handling of a massive safety recall have raised eyebrows, given the US government's major stake in rivals General Motors and Chrysler.

"The optics are terrible because -- and this is what happens when a government owns a company - the two companies that are going to gain the most out of this are General Motors and Chrysler," said Peter Morici, a professor at the University of Maryland's business school.

"But their behavior is consistent with the general policy of the US government, whether it's dealing with coffeemakers or cars."

Safety officials understand that product design mistakes are inevitable and will work to help companies correct the problem and alert consumers. But they will not tolerate a slow or weak response, Morici told AFP.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood sat down with reporters Wednesday to lay out a timeline of how US officials had "pushed Toyota to take corrective actions" on its pedal problems since 2007.

The meeting came a day after he issued a statement accusing the Japanese automaker of dragging its feet on recalling vehicles in danger of sudden, unintended acceleration due to pedals which could get trapped under floor mats or become "sticky."

He also caused a brief panic when he told a congressional panel that owners of 5.3 million Toyota vehicles affected by the recalls should "stop driving" them.

LaHood later sought to tone down his remarks, telling reporters: "What I meant to say and what I thought I said was if you own one of these cars or if you're in doubt, take it to the dealer and they're going to fix it."

But he insisted that safety officials "will continue to hold Toyota's feet to the fire to make sure that they are doing everything they have promised to make their vehicles safe."

Legislators meanwhile signaled that they would expand their probe, demanding answers on why Toyota's Tacoma trucks -- which have a different pedal assembly than the 5.3 million vehicles recalled -- were also experiencing problems with sudden, unintended acceleration.

Toyota's top US official, Yoshimi Inaba, is set to testify at a congressional hearing Wednesday.

LaHood's strong initial comments could cause some "hysteria, but to some extent, we are such a litigious society, he has no choice but to say that because of the lawsuits that are lined up," said Rebecca Lindland, an analyst with IHS Global Insight.

"If one more person is killed, they can say that the government didn't act; Toyota did not act."

Weston Konishi, an expert on Japan at the Mansfield Foundation think-tank, said he doubted either Washington or Tokyo wanted the Toyota flap to escalate.

"Toyota is now a real stakeholder in the US economy -- think of its auto plants and jobs -- so trying to score points against it would be somewhat self-defeating," he added.

Konishi said he could only see Toyota becoming the governments' business if the company cut off contracts with US manufacturers due to lack of confidence in quality control after the problems with the US-made pedals.

David Champion, director of automobile testing for Consumer Reports magazine, said the reaction to the recall was overblown.

"When you look at the statistics we are putting an awful lot of effort on a very small risk," he said.

"There has been something like 2,000 complaints of unintended acceleration in some 20 million Toyota vehicles -- it's almost like trying to find a needle in a haystack."

Champion lamented as "unfortunate" that it took the death of an off-duty California state trooper and three members of his family to prompt Toyota to issue a mass recall in September to address the problem.

But he said a congressional investigation was an "overreaction" and noted that the "sticky" pedal problem that caused Toyota to halt production and sales of eight models last month was not linked to any accidents or injuries.

"I'm sure it's going to hurt Toyota in the short term over the next year or so," Champion said.

"But if their products are as good as they have been in the past, we're going to see that Toyota's going to bounce back as Ford has from the Firestone (tire recall) fiasco."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...T0FXa8DxrjjLwA

Everyone wants to "gain" from this. What a mess.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
maybe you should go back to back to the first grade and learn how to read? I do understand what it means to be criminallly negligent...ie knowing about a problem for 10 years and doing nothing about it......and then having 19 deaths associated with it........you know sort of like GM and the saddle tanks....
You still don't understand. Just because Toyota knew of the issue, and did not perform a recall does not mean they are/were criminally negligent.

It depends on a wide variety of issues, along with what the failure rate per vehicle is. Deaths do not always equal recalls.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35214248/ns/business-autos/

TOKYO - Toyota admitted design problems with the brakes in its prized Prius, adding to the catalog of woes for the world's No. 1 automaker still reeling from a massive U.S. recall involving faulty gas pedals. Toyota Motor Corp. spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi said Thursday that Toyota discovered there were design problems with the antilock brake system and corrected them for Prius models sold since late January, including those being shipped overseas....
Prius thread

Quick Reply: Toyota: Recall News