Toyota: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I love when anyone tries to make this argument about pretty much anything.

Yea, because really, the current condition of the Untited States is really no big deal. Since the great depression, we have had plenty of times and conditions exactly like those of today. This is nothing new.

When you realize just how much the politicians have no clue and don't care about what is going on...then you will begin to understand the dire straits we are in.

See you in 10 years when/if we have a job recovery.

...but hey let's fiddle while the republic burns.....let's spend more time on the Toyota witch hunt.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Yeah. Because they don't have committees to deal with this exact scenario. Chaired by...OMG - members of Congress!

Holy shit!

You know, these people can multitask. They aren't complete idiots.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:20 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Yeah. Because they don't have committees to deal with this exact scenario. Chaired by...OMG - members of Congress!

Holy shit!

You know, these people can multitask. They aren't complete idiots.
I beg to differ....did you hear some of the committee member's questions?!?!

It's a witch hunt...a waste of time....the same way it was when Ford's CEO Jacques Nasser was called in for the Explorers.

Political grandstanding FTL.

What's the point of having the NHTSA, when it all ends up before the politicians...so that they can score political points.

meh...no thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
No, I didn't. I'm at work all day without TV or internet video.

If the questions are stupid, replace the people asking them. But we shouldn't stop questions from being asked. I think it's important that people beholden to the public attempt to get to the bottom of a problem that potentially effects me more than anything else going on right now. I can't fire NHTSA officials. I can fire politicians.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

No, I didn't. I'm at work all day without TV or internet video.

If the questions are stupid, replace the people asking them. But we shouldn't stop questions from being asked. I think it's important that people beholden to the public attempt to get to the bottom of a problem that potentially effects me more than anything else going on right now. I can't fire NHTSA officials. I can fire politicians.
We should probably fire a bunch based on the questions.

They are politicians...not engineers/scientists.

The point is that the NHTSA needs to to their job more effectively, so that it does not end up in a committee every time.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I don't see how it could be anything but some combination of ECU and other electronics involved. Especially when the thing that really got this thing rolling was the tragedy in a Lexus qnd not the recalled Toyotas. Even if they fix the ECU for the thing that this guy in the video found that won't be the end of it. To really fix the problem they'll have to retrofit as many cars as possible with the brake override system.

About the only way this could get worse for Toyota is if someone dies in a car that has had all the current recalls applied - and that seems possible at this point.
I wonder if all automakers will go back to mechanical throttle assemblies? Divorce the throttle from the ECU? (that and quietly move the brake further away from the throttle pedal).
Old 02-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I wonder if all automakers will go back to mechanical throttle assemblies? Divorce the throttle from the ECU? (that and quietly move the brake further away from the throttle pedal).
I posited some of that earlier - but as a possible ridiculous recommendation from an uninformed congressman as a knee jerk reaction. Many of the gains in fuel mileage and emission control have come about due to DBW. There's no going back. There's a simple fix that other cars makers already have and Toyota itself will have on many of its cars - brake over-ride systems.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

You are kidding...right?

That will never happen.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
You are kidding...right?

That will never happen.
LOL, one knee jerk reaction deserves another.... I agree it would be very unlikely, but it would beat getting sued out of existence.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
You are kidding...right?

That will never happen.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

LOL, one knee jerk reaction deserves another.... I agree it would be very unlikely, but it would beat getting sued out of existence.
Pretty much every car company and every model of car is throttle by wire.

Only Toyota has had throttle issues. No one is certain if their throttle issue is directly related to their software.

Meanwhile all the other millions of cars on the road all around the globe are running perfectly fine with throttle by wire.

Nobody is going to start to sue other vehcile makers over throttle by wire.

Toyota is not going to risk getting into CAFE standard troubles by ditching throttle by wire.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Pretty much every car company and every model of car is throttle by wire.

Only Toyota has had throttle issues. No one is certain if their throttle issue is directly related to their software.

Meanwhile all the other millions of cars on the road all around the globe are running perfectly fine with throttle by wire.

Nobody is going to start to sue other vehcile makers over throttle by wire.
OK First of all I think you guys are taking my statement a little too literally. It was a bit of a joke after all.

However, I do disagree with your contention that "nobody is going to sue other vehicle makers" I think it's a very real possibility that somebody will seize this as an opportunity to get out of (insert brand) some car If they were having trouble making payments or something. In the current climate what would be easier then driving your car into a wall and then saying "it just wouldn't stop"? It is a obvious that no proof is really needed since none (that I've read about) of the affected cars can replicate the problem after the fact.

I'm not even trying to say that there might not be some real problems here. All I'm saying is that the coverage is extremely one sided and nobody is calling "foul".
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
To go a little bit further with the whole moving the brake pedal further from the throttle thing, I think its ridiculous. I wouldn't mind it at all if they did such a thing on a car that was ONLY available as an automatic/did not have the option of a clutch-operated manual. But to do such a thing, especially on a sporty car available with a manual is ridiculous. I don't like to generalize but I think its safe to assume "unintended acceleration" is less likely to happen in a manual transmission car. Its very easy to clutch in and go into neutral, and I don't believe there's a lockin mechanism that will keep a car in a certain gear.

And anyways, anyone who accidentally accelerates instead of braking probably shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place. Attorneys shouldn't be as involved in car design as they are. I haven't been behind the wheel of any of them yet but I do know that Bob Lutz was arguing for moving the brake pedal closer to the gas in order to make heel-toeing easier in the new Camaro and Solstice/Sky twins and the lawyers were against it

I know it was a joke, but it is happening.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
To go a little bit further with the whole moving the brake pedal further from the throttle thing, I think its ridiculous. I wouldn't mind it at all if they did such a thing on a car that was ONLY available as an automatic/did not have the option of a clutch-operated manual.
I agree 100% a car that offers a manual transmission should be set up in such a way that you can heel and toe. If such a car were offered with both an automatic and a manual transmission, care needs to be taken to ensure that they "idiot proof" the automatic but maintain the driving experience in the manual.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
If computer-controlled throttles are so dangerous, how exactly does EVERY single modern airplane not crash in a blazing fireball? All modern jet aircraft utilize fly-by-wire systems that have no mechanical components controlling flight surfaces. Hell, many of the fighter jets couldn't even fly with conventional controls because they are so unstable in flight they need computers making millions of adjustments per second just to stay in the air.

Computer control is not a bad thing. We will just have to wait and see what this particular problem turns out to be before we start questioning an entire technology...
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Speaking of confusing the pedals, if you can't tell the difference just by feel between the accelerator pedal and the brake, you need to not be allowed to drive. Period.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
If computer-controlled throttles are so dangerous, how exactly does EVERY single modern airplane not crash in a blazing fireball? All modern jet aircraft utilize fly-by-wire systems that have no mechanical components controlling flight surfaces. Hell, many of the fighter jets couldn't even fly with conventional controls because they are so unstable in flight they need computers making millions of adjustments per second just to stay in the air.

Computer control is not a bad thing. We will just have to wait and see what this particular problem turns out to be before we start questioning an entire technology...
Speaking of confusing the pedals, if you can't tell the difference just by feel between the accelerator pedal and the brake, you need to not be allowed to drive. Period.
Computer systems are and have been proven to be reliable. However, it is the system that toyota used (one that differs somewhat from other drive by wire systems) that is failing.

The only argument to this is that F-22's cost a fortune and the testing lockheed martin does is pretty thorough, toyota on the other hand doesn't have these resources for every single car....
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree on the drive by wire. Within the aerospace industry drive (fly) by wire is nothing new. Wasn't the F-16 the first plane to use that technology? And the F-16 entered service in 1978. And you are correct, the F-117 is unflyable without the computer.

As for pedel feel, I think that in a panic situation there are many drivers who could not tell the difference between the feel of the brake pedal smashed against the firewall or the feel of the gas pedal smashed against the firewall.

Add to this the fact that Toyota has spent the last 20 years reinforcing their reputation for quiet, soft riding cars they haven't exactly courted the type of driver who is interested in cutting an apex while trail braking.

I would guess that there are few (if any) instances of unintended acceleration with manual transmission drivers. And it's not just because there are more ways to stop the car, IMO, part of the reason is that you have a more engaged driver to begin with.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
^good point Colin, I was thinking the same thing about manual transmission drivers.

There is speculation (at least on some auto-discussion boards and blogs) that brake-by-wire may exist in the future. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with that, and I really don't see much advantage besides being necessary if all cars in the future had distance control and automatic braking. Even then, I don't know for sure but I would guess that cars with distance control like new MBs have a separate electronic assist in addition to the hydraulic master cylinder/brake pedal-operated system.

I'm fine with DBW though. While I did notice a very slight difference in response on a DBW vs. non-DBW car (E46 323i vs. E46 325i) it could even be attributed to the engine choice, or maybe it was in my head. On an AP2 S2000 I couldn't tell at all. Either way I'm fine with it.... the advantages of DBW are numerous.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^good point Colin, I was thinking the same thing about manual transmission drivers.

There is speculation (at least on some auto-discussion boards and blogs) that brake-by-wire may exist in the future. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with that, and I really don't see much advantage besides being necessary if all cars in the future had distance control and automatic braking. Even then, I don't know for sure but I would guess that cars with distance control like new MBs have a separate electronic assist in addition to the hydraulic master cylinder/brake pedal-operated system.
Brake by wire has already existed in cars for many years. In fact, I believe the E55 AMG models came out w/ brake by wire back in 2004. It had such an unnatural feel that I think mercedes went back to conventional brakes for the E63. However, I'm pretty sure many modern cars like the Lexus LS460, current gen Mercedes like their latest E-class, etc. all have brake by wire systems.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Race Director

. I don't like to generalize but I think its safe to assume "unintended acceleration" is less likely to happen in a manual transmission car.
Less likely? How about just about zero chance. Anyone who has driven an MT car regularly, will naturally just push the clutch in. Also folks who drive an MT car are much more used to using the E break than the AT car driver who rarely uses it. I bet there's not a single MT car in this fiasco where the driver was not able to safely control the car, even if the unintended acceleration issue came up.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Brake by wire has already existed in cars for many years. In fact, I believe the E55 AMG models came out w/ brake by wire back in 2004. It had such an unnatural feel that I think mercedes went back to conventional brakes for the E63. However, I'm pretty sure many modern cars like the Lexus LS460, current gen Mercedes like their latest E-class, etc. all have brake by wire systems.
But like electric power steering I have a feeling those systems have some sort of mechanical fail-safe backup mode.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
But like electric power steering I have a feeling those systems have some sort of mechanical fail-safe backup mode.
Today's electric power assists are interesting but back in the late 80's TRW Automotive division designed and developed a pure drive by wire steering system for consumer cars. There was no mechanical connection/coupling between the steering wheels and the steering gearbox. The benefits of the system were plenty, easier packaging/design/manufacturing and safety. Steering wheels back then (and today?) cause more injury and death than any other object in the car. Even with collapsible columns, steering wheels cause alot of chest trauma.

In the end none of the big 3 were interested. Besides the electrical failure safety issue, the biggest complaint from GM test drivers was lack of steering despite TRW engineer's efforts to provide feedback with a integrated servo motor into the steering wheel.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 AM
AZ Community Team

First operational airplane to use a fly-by-wire system was the North American A-5 Vigilante back in the late 50's, early sixties. It used used analog computers but had no mechancial couling to the flight controls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RA-5C

I agree with most others on the forums that DBW systems have proven their worth many times over and have operated flawlessly. Like the Toyota there have been some problems (early Airbus A320's) in aviation that have been worked out over time.

A friend fly's 767's for Delta, he likes like fly-by-wire but even with the hydraulically boosted controls he likes some feedback from the autopilot and flight control surfaces especially when landing and turbulance.

I agree on the drive by wire. Within the aerospace industry drive (fly) by wire is nothing new. Wasn't the F-16 the first plane to use that technology? And the F-16 entered service in 1978. And you are correct, the F-117 is unflyable without the computer.

As for pedel feel, I think that in a panic situation there are many drivers who could not tell the difference between the feel of the brake pedal smashed against the firewall or the feel of the gas pedal smashed against the firewall.

Add to this the fact that Toyota has spent the last 20 years reinforcing their reputation for quiet, soft riding cars they haven't exactly courted the type of driver who is interested in cutting an apex while trail braking.

I would guess that there are few (if any) instances of unintended acceleration with manual transmission drivers. And it's not just because there are more ways to stop the car, IMO, part of the reason is that you have a more engaged driver to begin with.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Should say "A friend fly's 767's for Delta, he likes like fly-by-wire but even with the 767's hydraulically boosted controls he likes it's mechanical feedback from the autopilot and flight control surfaces especially when landing and turbulance."
Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Less likely? How about just about zero chance. Anyone who has driven an MT car regularly, will naturally just push the clutch in. Also folks who drive an MT car are much more used to using the E break than the AT car driver who rarely uses it. I bet there's not a single MT car in this fiasco where the driver was not able to safely control the car, even if the unintended acceleration issue came up.
It's unfortunate that there are less than a handful of Toyota/Lexus models that use a manual transmission (Lexus IS250, Scion Tc and Toyota Celica are the only ones I can think of).
Old 02-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Race Director

I think all of the sedans up to the Camry have MT available (Corolla, Yaris, Matrix).
Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
WTF is the matter with Toyota?

Toyota to replace oil hose in 933,800 cars
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...pe=marketsNews

* Fix part of 'Limited service campaign', not recall

* Oil hose may develop a hole, potentially causing leak
Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr

Something tells me they have known about the problem for a while. Only reason why they are probably doing a recall now is because they saw how much shit the gas pedal fiasco has gotten them into and now they are just trying to protect themselves from any more future drama. True or not, I just don't trust Toyota.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I don't think you understand what a recall is for.

Mandatory recall is for safety issues....this cleary is not.

Voluntary recall is exactly that, the carmaker voluntarily recalls the cars for the fix....not safety related.

Owners of the vehicles can have the oil hose fixed at Toyota dealerships at no charge under a safety campaign that will run until March 31, 2013
Owners have 3 years to take the car in for pretty much any service, and while in for service this will get fixed.

If car owners are not taking their car in for service over a 3 year period of time, they are going to have more issues than this.

This policy is on par with every other car maker.

Much ado about nothing.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think you understand what a recall is for.

Mandatory recall is for safety issues....this cleary is not.

Voluntary recall is exactly that, the carmaker voluntarily recalls the cars for the fix....not safety related.

Owners have 3 years to take the car in for pretty much any service, and while in for service this will get fixed.

If car owners are not taking their car in for service over a 3 year period of time, they are going to have more issues than this.

This policy is on par with every other car maker.

Much ado about nothing.

How is this not safety related when even Toyota calls this a safety campaign?

When people talk about this, they are gonna call it a recall. You're not going to hear anyone say "oh did you hear about that new safety campaign from Toyota?" No.... In 99% of the cases I bet the average folk will call it a recall. Whether it is a recall or not, most people won't know the difference and automatically consider it as one.

P.S. Doopstr never even said it was a recall. There is no need to attack him like that.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
How is this not safety related when even Toyota calls this a safety campaign?

When people talk about this, they are gonna call it a recall. You're not going to hear anyone say "oh did you hear about that new safety campaign from Toyota?" No.... In 99% of the cases I bet the average folk will call it a recall. Whether it is a recall or not, most people won't know the difference and automatically consider it as one.

P.S. Doopstr never even said it was a recall. There is no need to attack him like that.
This is a thread about the Toyota recall for the accel. issue.

Hence why I stated there is no reason for it to be a recall for the hose....hence no reason why it should be in this thread

If toyota announces a TSB for Sienna sliding door lubrication...should it be in this thread too?...seriously

The oil hose is not a safety issue.

...and the article has been updated...it no longer says "part of the safety campaign"

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons confirmed the company had sent the document on a "limited service campaign" to U.S. dealers. He added that the oil hose issue is not a safety issue and the vehicles are not being recalled.
^^^ This is normal, and every other car maker would and should approach it in the same way.

Again...much ado about nothing.....why this is in this thread makes no sense to me.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

I think it being a safety issue is debatable. Depending on where the oil leak is couldn't it cause a fire if it's dripping on a hot engine? Not issuing a recall for this is going to give Congress more ammunition for their witch hunt.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm confused... I think this recall is old news because if memory serves, that's exactly what I was taking my wife's RX in for when I posted this, a month and a half ago:

Originally Posted by elessar
I took my wife's RX 350 in for service a couple of weeks ago and the service guy said that a recall for the gas pedal issue was coming soon, although he thought it would just involve shortening the pedal. Either the conspiracy theorists were right about a drive-by-wire throttle bug, or Toyota's just trying to cover all the bases at this point.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

^It's new in that it just became widely known because it now includes nearly 1,000,000 vehicles. Anything like this will set off a media storm because Toyota is under the gun.
This looks more like a safety issue to me now...http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/
I've 2007 Camry XLE. My front wheels got all soaked with oil that came out from this leaking hose. I lost control and It spun 360. Luckily no one was close to me, or else it had been a havoc! MY car hit the curb and now the alloy wheels are broken. I don't know, but as I understand from the articles here, the engine may have damage as well. There was a puddle of oil. I've lodged complaint/claim with Toyota, and still awaiting their response. Their customer service sucks. The biggest problem I have is that my dealer and Toyota never send a letter or called me for the repair of this recall (Apparantly there has been a recall already since months - that I have found out.) My car was with them for servicing in Sept 2009. They knew recall and they didn't act on it, neither they asked me to get it done. All, please, please don't wait. Get it fixed - now.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I think it being a safety issue is debatable. Depending on where the oil leak is couldn't it cause a fire if it's dripping on a hot engine? Not issuing a recall for this is going to give Congress more ammunition for their witch hunt.
If this gives congress "more ammunition"....then they are even more ignorant of the facts than I even game them credit for.....which is ZERO credit.

I'm guessing Toyota knows whether or not it will cause or has caused an engine fire.

Motor oil flashpoint is pretty high....about 500F.....and where this leak is located, there should be pretty much no chance of an "fire".....oil has to leak onto some of the hottest parts of the exhaust system for the potential for fire.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I love when anyone tries to make this argument about pretty much anything.

people say crazy shit when there's a recession
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
To go a little bit further with the whole moving the brake pedal further from the throttle thing, I think its ridiculous. I wouldn't mind it at all if they did such a thing on a car that was ONLY available as an automatic/did not have the option of a clutch-operated manual. But to do such a thing, especially on a sporty car available with a manual is ridiculous. I don't like to generalize but I think its safe to assume "unintended acceleration" is less likely to happen in a manual transmission car. Its very easy to clutch in and go into neutral, and I don't believe there's a lockin mechanism that will keep a car in a certain gear.

And anyways, anyone who accidentally accelerates instead of braking probably shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place. Attorneys shouldn't be as involved in car design as they are. I haven't been behind the wheel of any of them yet but I do know that Bob Lutz was arguing for moving the brake pedal closer to the gas in order to make heel-toeing easier in the new Camaro and Solstice/Sky twins and the lawyers were against it

I know it was a joke, but it is happening.
it may happen one day. who knows. nissan already has downshift safety precautions in place
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Race Director

You knew this wasn't far off.......

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/bu.../03toyota.html

The Obama administration is considering requiring all automobiles to contain a brake override system intended to prevent sudden acceleration episodes like those that have led to the recall of millions of Toyotas, the Transportation secretary, Ray LaHood, said Tuesday
Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Race Director

^ I wonder if that'll apply to vehicles that don't have DBW.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Recall News