Toyota: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Look at this totalled Lexus LS. Must be because of the recall!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
...and the "Toyota defense" cases are just starting....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/02/...appeal/?hpt=C2

A man serving eight years for vehicular homicide because of a fatal crash involving his Toyota Camry is hoping for exoneration amid concerns over unintended acceleration in some of Toyota's vehicles.

Koua Fong Lee has always maintained his innocence in the 2006 crash. Then 29 years old, he was driving home from Sunday services with his pregnant wife, father, daughter, brother and niece in his 1996 Toyota Camry.

Lee told investigators that he pumped the brakes as he exited I-94 in St. Paul, Minnesota, and approached an intersection, his lawyer, Brent Schaefer, said. But Ramsey County prosecutors claimed Lee had his foot on the gas as he approached cars waiting at a red light.

The car was moving at between 70 and 90 mph when it struck two other vehicles. Javis Adams, 33, and his 10-year-old son, Javis Adams Jr., were killed instantly. Another passenger, 6-year-old Devyn Bolton, was left paraplegic. She testified in a wheelchair at Lee's trial and later died from her injuries.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
^ I have a 95 camry le that's still in the family. I went through a similar situation. It didn't accelerate on me but when coming to a stop I had no brake pressure at all. I was going about 50mph when coming to a stop & I was lined up behind a flatbed semi.. luckily the right turning lane was empty & I was able to merge over and pump the brake a few times but with 100 feet left to go I put all my weight on the brake. Luckily the brakes engaged at the last second and a plume of smoke spiraled from the front fender wells. I had the whole system overhauled after that from the mc to the pads & shoes. I'm guessing in the case above he was speeding and had brake issues not a ua event. Very tragic though..
Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
...and the "Toyota defense" cases are just starting....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/02/...appeal/?hpt=C2

A man serving eight years for vehicular homicide because of a fatal crash involving his Toyota Camry is hoping for exoneration amid concerns over unintended acceleration in some of Toyota's vehicles.

Koua Fong Lee has always maintained his innocence in the 2006 crash. Then 29 years old, he was driving home from Sunday services with his pregnant wife, father, daughter, brother and niece in his 1996 Toyota Camry.

Lee told investigators that he pumped the brakes as he exited I-94 in St. Paul, Minnesota, and approached an intersection, his lawyer, Brent Schaefer, said. But Ramsey County prosecutors claimed Lee had his foot on the gas as he approached cars waiting at a red light.

The car was moving at between 70 and 90 mph when it struck two other vehicles. Javis Adams, 33, and his 10-year-old son, Javis Adams Jr., were killed instantly. Another passenger, 6-year-old Devyn Bolton, was left paraplegic. She testified in a wheelchair at Lee's trial and later died from her injuries.
Decent thread on that in Ramblings.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Report: Toyota's Repair Not Fixing Recalled Cars
http://cbs13.com/national/Toyota.rec...2.1533510.html
So far, at least seven complaints in the last two weeks have been filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, saying the repairs to pedals and floor mats have not stopped their cars from surging unexpectedly, the paper reports.
In one of the reports filed with NHTSA, a 2010 Camry owner who had their car repaired Feb. 12 in Michigan said it accelerated up a snow bank just five days later after receiving special brake override software, the complaint said.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ Ouch
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Race Director

The problem for Toyota now is that every idiot behind the wheel of a Toyota can blame this issue instead of the operator and Toyota won't dare call it an operator error.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6606596.story
Edmunds.com offers $1-million prize for Toyota fix
The auto information and pricing company is launching a public competition to find a solution to the carmaker's unintended-acceleration problem.
I hope some kid in high school auto shop figures it out.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Honda Fanboy

Toyota fix in question amid complaints

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Federal safety regulators said Wednesday they have received 10 complaints from drivers alleging sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles that have already been repaired under the automaker's recent recall.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it has reached out to the consumers in question to gather more information about the complaints, which were not immediately verifiable.

"NHTSA has already started contacting consumers about these complaints to get to the bottom of the problem and to make sure Toyota is doing everything possible to make its vehicles safe," David Strickland, NHTSA's administrator, said in a prepared statement.

"If Toyota owners are still experiencing sudden acceleration incidents after taking their cars to the dealership, we want to know about it," he added.

Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman, said the company is aware of the post-repair complaints and has asked NHTSA to help Toyota contact the customers in question.

"We are confident that our Toyota vehicles are safe, and we're doing everything we can to ensure our customers are satisfied with the repairs we've been making," Knight said. "We have rigorously tested those solutions the Toyota engineers have developed and we're very aggressively investigating any complaints."

How rigorous could the testing have been when the fix came in only two or three weeks?

Toyota has recalled more than 8 million vehicles worldwide for problems related to sudden acceleration, which have been blamed for several accidents resulting in injuries and death. The automaker has repeatedly apologized for the lapses in quality control, and Toyota technicians are working extended hours to repair the recalled vehicles.

In testimony before the U.S. Senate Tuesday, Toyota executives said the automaker has already serviced about 1 million of the recalled vehicles.

The sudden acceleration issue has been in the spotlight since it was disclosed last month that an accident involving a Toyota vehicle killed four people in San Diego last August.

That accident sparked the recall of millions of Toyota vehicles for problems with floor mats that could cause accelerator pedals to become trapped. Toyota has subsequently recalled millions more cars for "sticky" accelerator pedals.

Since 2000, NHTSA has identified a total of 43 complaints of fatal incidents that allegedly involved sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles. While those complaints have not yet been confirmed, the reported incidents led to 52 fatalities and 38 injuries, NHTSA said.

Toyota has come under increasing pressure from Washington, with executives going before Congress in three separate hearings over the last two weeks.

Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, said he is "deeply concerned" about the possibility that repaired Toyota vehicles may still be prone to sudden acceleration.

"If these reports prove to be true, it is completely unacceptable that America's families are once again being put at risk," Braley said in a statement.

In a letter to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the congressman said the complaints highlight the need for a "thorough and credible investigations" into Toyota's safety record. He also questioned the effectiveness of recalls in ensuring the safety of the American public.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/03/auto...dex.htm?hpt=T2
Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by doopstr

I win!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Race Director

Regardless of what Toyota does this issue will be around for years. I'm surprised there's not already an entry in Wikipedia for "Toyota defense".
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ Opportunists will always try to get some coin.

It does not help that politicians are still grandstanding.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ Opportunists will always try to get some coin.

It does not help that politicians are still grandstanding.
...or that said politicians have a personal stake in a competing company (GM)...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Well there's that too....but that's a bit on the conspiracy side.

...but yea, it's possible. For sure a conflict of interest.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Toyota should just be blaming the big three for this. They put out such garbage for so many years and were slow to adapt to market changes Americans were forced to buy foreign cars

As a result, Toyota grew too big to keep up with the demand from all of the defections and their quality slipped because they couldn't stay on top of it.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to be in the camp that believed most of these unintended acceleration issues were driver error. Hell, I had such an incident myself in a Nissan and looked down to see my foot wedged btw the accelerator and brakes causing me to push both at the same time (driver error).

But this article really starts to make me wonder WTF is wrong w/ Toyota. 1 friggin' laptop in the whole country that could decode black box data? Whereas Ford, Nissan, GM, et. al. makes their EDR data easily accessible to whoever needs it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100305/...ta_black_boxes

This just seems to get worse and worse for Toyota. What's Toyota afraid of? Why the lack of transparency? Are they worried that competitors might steal their technology? As shitty as they are at programming their electronic brake and throttle control systems, who would even care to?

I can see this become as big of an issue for Toyota as it did for Audi in the 80s when allegations of unintended acceleration nearly drove them out of business.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 03-04-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Good. The more it hurts them, the better. I don't have any bias against Toyota, rather I just have very little interest in their vehicles. But the closer they get to the brink, the harder they'll have to work to make sure their vehicles are of the utmost quality to win back the trust of consumers. In the end, we (as consumers at least) win.

See: Ford & GM in the 80's and 90's compared to where their vehicles are now
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Toyota incentive plan working

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Toyota's new incentive plan appears to have piqued the interest of buyers looking to snag a good deal, reports showed Thursday, even as the automaker's recall woes linger.

Edmunds.com and kbb.com, Web site of Kelly Blue Book, both reported significant increases in traffic among users expressing serious interest in Toyota vehicles since the automaker announced a new incentive plan on Tuesday.

"Purchase intent" for Toyota vehicles surged 40% to a 14-month high Tuesday, according to Edmunds.com. Purchase intent measures pricing research done by potential buyers on its site. Edmunds said there is a "strong correlation" between purchase intent and actual sales.

"Because of the Toyota recall, people have been closely watching the company's moves," David Tompkins, a senior analyst at Edmunds.com, said in a statement. "Many were ready to take action upon hearing the announcement of this highly-anticipated incentives program."

According to its own research, Kelly Blue Book said shopper activity for Toyota cars from Tuesday to Thursday rose 44% this week versus the same period last week. Shopper activity includes car configuration, which the Kelly Blue Book gauges as an accurate indicator of buyer intent.

A Toyota representative stressed that it's too soon to say anything conclusive about the incentives. However the representative added that there is some "anecdotal evidence" to suggest that showroom traffic is increasing: "We are cautiously optimistic."
http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/04/auto...n_bin&hpt=Sbin
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Race Director

People who are informed enough to do a web based search for a car know the real story with all these hyped issues and of course will be swayed by a good deal. That's the diff between now and 80s when the media hyped stories virtually buried Audi - the Internet is leveling the access to info.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Good point.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Banned

Intent =/= sales. We'll see once the numbers come out. We'll also see how many reports there continue to be about UAS happening after Toyota's so-called fix.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I'd put money on Toyota's sales numbers having a substantial jump over Feb sales numbers.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Race Director

I'd put money on Toyota's sales numbers having a substantial jump over Feb sales numbers.
You really need to look at the numbers relative to the other makers. If vehicle sales in general are up but Toyota's numbers are down or are up a lot less than the average, then the incentives are not working. People have short memories and as long as they are not bombarded every day by another negative Toyota story, the incentives should do the trick. Of course then the problem for Toyota might be that if the incentives last long enough, buyers will get acustomed to them and only buy when the incentive is high enough (see GM).
Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr

Imagine all the folks out there now reverse engineering the micro-code and schematics.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

You really need to look at the numbers relative to the other makers. If vehicle sales in general are up but Toyota's numbers are down or are up a lot less than the average, then the incentives are not working. People have short memories and as long as they are not bombarded every day by another negative Toyota story, the incentives should do the trick. Of course then the problem for Toyota might be that if the incentives last long enough, buyers will get acustomed to them and only buy when the incentive is high enough (see GM).
True...going down the incentive road is dangerous....but even after all is said and done, Toyota will still be perceived to have a high quality/reliabilty vehicle(s) in American buyer's eyes.

Even after the incentives are pulled, American's will flock to Toyota.
The sensational journalism feeding frenzy will die off...something else will take the front page, and the Toyota recall will be a distant memory like all those who came before it.

Will Toyota lose some buyers to other brands? Sure, but their reputation will rebound and head back to where it was at or near the top of the heap.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

It's a different marketplace than it was twenty years ago. Nothing is guaranteed, especially with how strong the Koreans are coming on. GM actually looks like it may have learned it's lesson. Ford is tearing it up.

Toyota is going to keep it's loyal base, but they're going to lose more than you or they think.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
It's a different marketplace than it was twenty years ago. Nothing is guaranteed, especially with how strong the Koreans are coming on. GM actually looks like it may have learned it's lesson. Ford is tearing it up.

Toyota is going to keep it's loyal base, but they're going to lose more than you or they think.

Not only that, but think about the people who always buy Toyota. If someone who usually buys a Toyota ended up buying a Ford for the first time and realizes that the quality is not as bad as they though and in some cases even better than their previous Toyota, they just might decide to stick with Ford. There is definitely a potential for a long-term loss on Toyota's part here.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Toyota Worked Hard To Keep 'Black Box' Data From Outsiders

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/..._keep_bla.html

Wow, only one notebook in the US could read EDR log's, difficult to believe. Didn't realize their data logging was encrypted, it's not like it was flight parameter data for a F-22 but still could be damaging in court.

FWIW, Delco engineers have done plenty of data log presentations in vehicular manslaughter cases showing vehicle data in court.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Proof Wanted & Complaints up to 60 from 10

WASHINGTON -- Toyota Motor Corp. has failed to provide congressional investigators with documents to support the company’s contention that its tests have shown no link between electronic defects and unwanted acceleration in its vehicles, two senior lawmakers say.

Reps. Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and Bart Stupak, chairman of the committee’s oversight panel, asked Toyota today to produce employees with direct knowledge of the company’s testing efforts so the employees can be interviewed next week.

“Despite our repeated requests, the record before the committee is most notable for what is missing: the absence of documents showing that Toyota has systematically investigated the possibility of electronic defects that could cause sudden unintended acceleration,”
said today’s letter from Waxman, D-Calif., and Stupak, D-Mich.

Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight promised cooperation.

“Toyota has already agreed to keep the committee informed on a regular basis,”
she said.

Knight said Toyota this week had given the committee the results of tests said to show that a Southern Illinois University professor’s experiments demonstrating that failures of electronic throttle controls on Toyotas could not be replicated in the real world.

The company also has hired the Exponent research firm to examine possible connections between electronic defects and unintended acceleration, Knight said.

Separately, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the number of unintended-acceleration complaints from Toyota owners whose vehicles have been recalled and repaired ballooned to 60 from 10 this week.

“We are determined to get to the bottom of this,” NHTSA chief David Strickland said in an e-mail last night.

All the complainants have said they brought their vehicles in for repair after they were recalled for floor mat entrapment or sticky gas pedals. The recalls began in October.

That the vehicles have continued to lose speed control even after being repaired suggests the cause may be electronic.

Toyota President Akio Toyoda told lawmakers last week that he is “absolutely confident that there is no problem” with the electronic throttle control system because “very rigorous testing” by the automaker had revealed no problems.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Race Director

A properly working black box might be the only thing will back up Toyota against these newest claims.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Apple co-founder Wozniak shirks off Prius glitch

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100306...etoyotawozniak
Old 03-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I still giggle when i see Toyota commericals. They really should drop the "Toyota, Moving Forward" slogan.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

A properly working black box might be the only thing will back up Toyota against these newest claims.
One would think that if Toyota was really confident that there was no software problem that it would be raining black box decoders.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda Fanboy

Who would have guessed. Comparing a month where they were legally required to stop selling 8 of their cars, most of which were their best selling models, for two weeks, compared to a month that they are allowed to sell all of their cars and most of them at 0% financing for 60 months, obviously they will have a jump.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda Fanboy

http://www.toyotasimulator.com/
Old 03-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Looks like PortlandRL has been pretty busy..

Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Race Director

^
Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Toyota debunks the Professor....

Toyota offered an official rebuttal to Professor David Gilbert’s claim of unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles last week, but offered little in the way of actual evidence. However, Toyota has made its findings known, hosting a Webcast earlier on Monday.

In the Webcast, engineers from Toyota and testing firm Exponent detailed Professor Gilbert’s findings. Although Gilbert’s methods proved to be a viable way to create unintended acceleration in a Toyota vehicle, Toyota was able to explain why Gilbert’s discovery was extremely unlikely to happen in real world driving.

In a nutshell, Gilbert’s method involved stripping of three wires in the vehicle’s accelerator electronics, followed by the introduction of a 200 ohm resistor between two of the wires. The process results in an out of control engine, but is also highly unlikely to ever occur in the wild.

Moreover, Toyota was able to demonstrate the same phenomena in other vehicles using the same technique, all without triggering a diagnostic trouble code. During the Webcast, Toyota was able to recreate unintended acceleration in several vehicles, including a Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, BMW 3-Series and Subaru Outback.

Although Toyota’s demonstration appears to have debunked Professor Gilbert’s theory on unintended acceleration, it still hasn’t exonerated vehicle electronics from Toyota recent safety woes.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-d...tml#more-27227

Aww crap!!! This drive by wire technology will be the death of us all!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Honda Fanboy

Hmmm... A test arranged, performed, and completed by Toyota that shows Toyota as a "winner". Should we have expected the opposite? Seems real valid.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
News Video

The California Highway Patrol has confirmed its officers helped bring to a stop a runaway Toyota Prius exhibiting unintended acceleration Monday afternoon. The incident took place around 2:00 p.m., a CHP spokesman told Leftlane.

Law enforcement involvement in the near-catastrophe began when a driver reported to the CHP that his blue Toyota Prius was accelerating uncontrollably and he was unable to turn off the vehicle or shift into neutral. The driver reportedly traveled at speeds over 90 miles per hour while covering approximately 30 miles, according to new details.

At 2:03 p.m., PST, CHP reported a blue Toyota Prius traveling east-bound on the 8 freeway in San Diego while passing Los Coches road. The driver continued at full-throttle for approximately 30 miles up into the mountains leading out to El Centro, and away from the city’s center. This incident began roughly 5 miles from the tragic accident involving a Lexus ES350 with a stuck accelerator that claimed the lives of CHP officer Mark Saylor and three of his family members late last year.

(Story Continues Below Video)

San Diego local news station CW 6 reported that radio traffic acknowledged the driver was unable to turn the engine off or shift the vehicle into neutral. CHP reportedly considered utilizing a spike strip in order to stop the vehicle, but decided not to in the event that it could cause the driver to further lose control of the vehicle due to the high rate of speed.

The driver of the Prius said during an interview with NBC San Diego that he was traveling on the 8 East freeway when the vehicle seemed to begin accelerating on its own – reaching speeds over 90 mph. The driver, James Sikes, 61, said he called 911 and tried to drive while holding the phone but it was too difficult, forcing him to drop the phone and attempt to regain control of the vehicle by his own methods.

A CHP officer eventually caught up to Sikes and using his loudspeaker directed Sikes to utilize the parking brake in combination with the normal brake and eventually got the vehicle under control, and turned off. When the vehicles finally came to a stop the Prius was apparently traveling up a steep grade, which a CHP officer believed aided in the vehicle coming to a stop.

“They also got it going on a steep upgrade,” said Officer Jesse Udovich. “Between those three things, they got it to slow down.”

“I was on the brakes pretty healthy,” Sikes said. “It wasn’t stopping, it wasn’t doing anything to it, and just kept speeding up, kept going, and I called 911 right away, and they were trying to tell me what to do, but I couldn’t hold the phone and the steering wheel properly at the same time, so I just kept trying my methods, dropped the phone and it just kept going faster. I just stayed on the brakes as much as I could until finally they started smelling really bad and I had metal sounds coming in the car.”

Leftlane spoke with CHP officer Brian Pennings who confirmed the early report. Early reports incorrectly suggested the CHP used a Crown Victoria patrol car to pull in front of the Prius and brake to a stop – but new details suggest the contact was only made once the Prius was at a halt.

“The vehicles did not touch until after they came to a stop,” Pennings said.

Sikes also told reporters that he had visited Toyota of El Cajon – a nearby dealership – but was told his vehicle was not included in the recent recalls and no services were performed.

No one was injured, and Toyota says it has already dispatched investigators to examine the vehicle.

Attached is a map that indicates the reported route traveled by the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Recall News