Official 05RL info ***PG 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oracle does it again...

Man, that Motor Trend article got me a pumped up... f- the TSX, gimme a RL!!! Oh, wait, the price, right.

48k seems somewhat high, figuring this is still a Acura and not a European badge. I was hoping 45k, which would undercut alot of the competition. But considering that this car has no options, it might not turn out to be such a bad move.

Anyone else think the speedo cluster looks really phat and phuturistic?

Junkster, who was quite impressed...
Old 09-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
The price couldn't be any lower than the current model at $46K, so the current estimate is a good one I guess.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:59 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to get into rumors but this one is red hot. It looks like Honda will do it this time and really take it to the big boys. Yes, you heard it hear first...A new Flagship is in the planning stages for Acura...a V8, high power, ultra luxury sedan. Thats right you read it right...a Honda designed V8. Engine will also go into the Honda pickup, Acura/Honda SUV...and most important the future NSX. I will stand by this rumor.

The Oracle, who thinks this is no longer just a fantasy.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by justinjsw
I hate to get into rumors but this one is red hot. It looks like Honda will do it this time and really take it to the big boys. Yes, you heard it hear first...A new Flagship is in the planning stages for Acura...a V8, high power, ultra luxury sedan. Thats right you read it right...a Honda designed V8. Engine will also go into the Honda pickup, Acura/Honda SUV...and most important the future NSX. I will stand by this rumor.

Can't wait!!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This is going to make things interesting.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Teh ?

damn you oracle and your groundbreaking news...

The biggest thing for me is the V8 news. This means that the next NSX could receive the V8, as well as a truly full-sized SUV/pick-up offerings from Honda.

Is anyone else seeing the implications of this whole thing?

Junkster, who can't wait for a V8 NSX
Old 09-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Photography Nerd

I'm taking bets to see how long it will be before someone asks if the V8 will fit in the TSX.
Any takers?

Old 09-04-2004, 04:33 PM
OG

Originally Posted by Dan Martin

This is going to make things interesting.
Indeed
Old 09-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Registered AssHat

2 hours 20 minutes.

Do you think they'll put the V8 in the TSX or TL.

With SH-AWD that would be killer!

Old 09-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Old 09-04-2004, 07:19 PM
OG

Canadian reviews

Canadian RL review

Toronto Star

SH-AWD Toronto Star
Old 09-04-2004, 07:24 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Long Time TSX lurker,

Hey Justin, thanks for all your inside news! Do you have a timeframe for this new Acura luxury sedan? If Acura is developing a new V8, it must be a long time from production!
Old 09-04-2004, 07:28 PM
101 years of heartache...

Justin, thank you, you insight guru, for making my day even better. This V8 that will power the future NSX will make the NSX something out of this world. I CANT WAIT. As for Acura itself, I believe it is coming out of the shell and revealing itself. Justin you put it the perfect way, it's going after the big boys. Thanks for enlightening we ignorant mortals .

btw domn, sorry about using that happy domn thing, but i was too lazy and wanted to express joy in something i didnt have to open the smiley box for. what happend to the classic smiley face being right there for you?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:01 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Motor Trend's First Drive,

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...9_2005acurarl/
Old 09-04-2004, 09:01 PM
OG

Originally Posted by mg7726

^ Re post 119 of this thread...but its ok...a repost is better than no post.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:32 PM
OG

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
Long Time TSX lurker,

Hey Justin, thanks for all your inside news! Do you have a timeframe for this new Acura luxury sedan? If Acura is developing a new V8, it must be a long time from production!
Let me rephrase... The forces that be want to see Acura with another Sedan. To justify the development of a Honda V8 there need to be enough platforms to carry this engine in the Honda/Acura lineup to offset production costs, plus costs for R/D. By expanding the sedan lineup would be one way to assure themselves of a vehicle worthy of this powerplant. There are also talks within Honda that to further offset costs, they may sell this V8 to another company. Some are rumors, so believe which ever part you want...but the super Acura sedan rumor came from a manager of product development for NA honda during the national dealer meet in Chicago. The national meet are attended by GMs and dealer principles. In summary this is what he said...

Prod. Manager...If we developed a new Acura sedan to compete against the LS, S Class, and 7 Series can you guys sell it?
Dealer...the RL?
Manager...No, a new Acura flagship, larger more powerful than the RL
Dealer...V8?
Manager...V8
Dealer...Built it
manager...its in 'possible' development...sell the RL...good luck...walks away
Old 09-05-2004, 04:21 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I wonder if GM has anything to do with helping out with R&D for the V8...since Honda supplied some engines for the Saturn Vue...

I still think they should put a modified F1 BAR-Honda engine into the NSX

Maybe Honda will supply GM with some V8s...since I'm sure Honda's going to make it as environmental friendly as they can...
Old 09-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Race Director

So besides the V8 news I gather that Honda will for the first time make a real RWD platform sedan.

Do I forsee a short lived tenure for either the TSX or TL? If there's a sedan above the RL, then there might be some give at the low end. But I guess if Lexus can do it, so can Acura.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

I dunno, have to say as usual, I'll believe it when I see it. The now new RL needs a V8. So whats that make: RL, tsx performance sedan like the m3, the pilot, and the new pickup- plenty of reasons financially(4 vehicles) to build a v8.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro

If it is true and AHMC can convience JDM that American's like V8's then I say GREAT!!!! While the new RL is long over due and I like what SH-AWD can do, I find the RL lacking some things that even an ES330 has such as an 8-way pwr pass seat with memory no less!

No auto wiper dispite the fact the MDX has them. No heated/cooling seat function and the list goes on and on. Yes I do understand that the RL is built to a price point so I for one believe that an Ultra-lux sedan is needed. One in which price be damned. Honda has so many features in Japan that it would not be hard to bring any of it over state side.

And as has been mentioned before, where does this leave TL and TSX. The yet unnamed sedan would be V8 pwrd, the next RL should be offered with both the V8 and a V6. The TL can live with a V6 (larger displacement) and the TSX could receive a smaller V6 or stick with an i-4 (although a V6 would be nice but hey there is always IMA).

As for Honda developing a RWD platform, I'd say for get it!! Audi's A8 is AWD. No, Honda now doesn't need a RWD platform with SH-AWD. The system could be configured to distribute more torque to the rear wheels for a rear wheel bias. As for development, well I'm gong out on a limb but would it be possible to modify the new Oddey's platform. I mean according to Honda they benchmark for large vehicle handling was none other then the 745i The width, length and wheel base are all there for a large sedan plus it would allow the car to come market in five or so years.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
And as has been mentioned before, where does this leave TL and TSX. The yet unnamed sedan would be V8 pwrd, the next RL should be offered with both the V8 and a V6. The TL can live with a V6 (larger displacement) and the TSX could receive a smaller V6 or stick with an i-4 (although a V6 would be nice but hey there is always IMA).
this would be cool...but what would acura do with the RSX?

As for Honda developing a RWD platform, I'd say forget it!! Audi's A8 is AWD. No, Honda now doesn't need a RWD platform with SH-AWD. The system could be configured to distribute more torque to the rear wheels for a rear wheel bias.
agreed...or someone could probably hack the awd ecu to flip the power distribution 30/70 even for normal cruising...or just change the #s altogether
Old 09-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

So they finally got their head out of the trees..... Good.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Pro

One or two things in my opinion. The RSX could be built on the (rumor) much improved Civic platform. Give the RSX the features it needs to be a sport lux car. While Auto HVAC in nice and so is heated mirrors, it needs a standard arm rest, a pwr drivers seat option (even if it is only 6 way pwr), telescoping steering wheel, optional Navi, dealer installed auto dim mirror, and a 2.2 l i-4.

I know this stuff adds weight and cost, so I was selective in what I chose but a full glass roof ie MB C-class coupe and Scion Tc would be nice!!

The other option would be to drop the car altogether. I'd hate to see that though as I do see the RSX as a gate way into Acura. It has a price point that is affordable.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:39 PM

a 60K Acura Sedan? We will be waiting quite awhile for that one.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:52 PM
101 years of heartache...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
a 60K Acura Sedan? We will be waiting quite awhile for that one.
i would agree completly with you Lex, but Honda has been pulling some weird stuff (for Honda standards) out of their pockets. A respectable mid-sized luxury sedan (RL), a pick up truck (Havasu), a V8 (when did anyone see that?), and now this. I don't know, maybe it's been started already. The RL was done like, what, 9 months ago? I only care about the NSX now, they impressed me with the RL, yet disappointed with the lack of some basic ~50k features, but SH-AWD and 300 HP out of a v6 is pretty damn cool. I still don't think it's good enough to win loyalists over, but it WILL do well and maybe give Acura what they want with this; more brand prestige.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:45 PM

I agree Honda is making moves. The competition is not standing still either.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
a V8 (when did anyone see that?)
Not me.. what did I miss??
Old 09-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

One or two things in my opinion. The RSX could be built on the (rumor) much improved Civic platform. Give the RSX the features it needs to be a sport lux car. While Auto HVAC in nice and so is heated mirrors, it needs a standard arm rest, a pwr drivers seat option (even if it is only 6 way pwr), telescoping steering wheel, optional Navi, dealer installed auto dim mirror, and a 2.2 l i-4.

I know this stuff adds weight and cost, so I was selective in what I chose but a full glass roof ie MB C-class coupe and Scion Tc would be nice!!

The other option would be to drop the car altogether. I'd hate to see that though as I do see the RSX as a gate way into Acura. It has a price point that is affordable.
Kill it, or toss it over to Honda. The TSX has a price point that is affordable and would serve very well as the entry into the Acura stable.

Acura is thinking!

I wonder about the GM relationship too... is this really a Honda-developed V8? Or would GM pump money into Honda for a V8 for them to share?? I guess it would be economically viable if it was shared with many different cars.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just read the Toronto Star article...what's the deal with the Canada exclusive ventilated seats?!?!?!? Why don't we get those here????
Old 09-07-2004, 07:35 PM

Edmunds First Drive review

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...irstdrive.1g.*
Old 09-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Seems like Edmunds really liked it. I also like their comment about the RL vs. the BMW handling, most of the reviews so far have been vague about how it compares to other cars.

While we still think the BMW's steering feels quicker and more responsive, overall the Acura RL was more precise and able to get around the course faster.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:54 PM

RL beat the 530i in handling...that is the sheitnit!!

bmw != ultimate driving machine (tho i still love them)
Old 09-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by mg7726
RL beat the 530i in handling...that is the sheitnit!!

bmw != ultimate driving machine (tho i still love them)
Gilbo should be replying to this shortly.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

The edmunds review sounds like the same group TOV tested, the BMW didn't have the sports package. Kinda pointless when Acura brought the cars for a track comparo, well its understandable.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by heyitsme
The edmunds review sounds like the same group TOV tested, the BMW didn't have the sports package. Kinda pointless when Acura brought the cars for a track comparo, well its understandable.
What do you mean it's understandable? Of course it's understandable. They were testing a regular RL against the competition. If they were testing sport package equipped cars they would have had to be testing an A-Spec RL as well, which they weren't.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Umm, the 530i with sport package would approximately be the same price as an Rl.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Umm, the 530i with sport package would approximately be the same price as an Rl.
A BMW 530i optioned out w/ the same or similar features as the RL (non-sport package) is over $55k (w/ sport package it's nearly $59k). A stripped 530i w/ no options except for leather seating and the sport package is just over $50k, but then you don't have any of the features the RL offers and most luxury car buyers want (SmartKey, NAV, DVD Audio, Power rear sunshade, Adaptive Headlights, etc.). I really don't see why I'm even going into this with you. An RL without A-Spec tested against a sport package equipped 530i is an apples to oranges comparison, plain and simple. None of the cars in the comparo had sport packages, so why should the 530i?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jwaters943
A BMW 530i optioned out w/ the same or similar features as the RL (non-sport package) is over $55k (w/ sport package it's nearly $59k). A stripped 530i w/ no options except for leather seating and the sport package is just over $50k, but then you don't have any of the features the RL offers and most luxury car buyers want (SmartKey, NAV, DVD Audio, Power rear sunshade, Adaptive Headlights, etc.). I really don't see why I'm even going into this with you. An RL without A-Spec tested against a sport package equipped 530i is an apples to oranges comparison, plain and simple. None of the cars in the comparo had sport packages, so why should the 530i?
Its not unusual for a car maker to compare their new car to a base model of the competition. We'll let the magazines take it from here.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its not unusual for a car maker to compare their new car to a base model of the competition. We'll let the magazines take it from here.
Back to my OJ trial analogy - you gotta know the glove fits BEFORE you have him try it on.

Same with this RL vs. others competition - the thing was staged, Acura knew or assumed the RL would win. I'm not taking anything away from the RL, it's a great car but wait till some real world tests with real cars.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwaters943
What do you mean it's understandable? Of course it's understandable. They were testing a regular RL against the competition. If they were testing sport package equipped cars they would have had to be testing an A-Spec RL as well, which they weren't.

it's tiring listening to people complain 'why didn't the 530 have sports package!!!!"
what? the ultimate driving machine can't handle well w/o sports package?

Quick Reply: Official 05RL info ***PG 4