Lexus: IS News

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think they'll need more than 400hp to beat the M3...whether it's coming from a 4L V10 or 4.6L V8 or watever
Old 03-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
i think they'll need more than 400hp to beat the M3...whether it's coming from a 4L V10 or 4.6L V8 or watever
Latest rumors have the new M3 engine larger at 4.4L and more like 425hp, though I doubt it. Lexus certainly can engineer to beat the new M3 in a straight line but beyond that is where they will have trouble. The have a lot farther to go from the dynamics of the IS350 compared to the distance the M3 has to go over the 330.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ilitig8
Latest rumors have the new M3 engine larger at 4.4L and more like 425hp, though I doubt it.
I doubt it too. It makes sense to have the M5 with a 5.L V10, making 100HP per liter @ 500HP. They want to keep that with the M3, from what I understand, with a 4.0L V8, making 400 HP.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Safety Car

Think the question is, can Toyota really build a true performance car to rival the Germans? Any company can drop x powerplant in x entry level car and get some numbers, but that doesn't make it a class leading luxury/performance car.

Kinda like an IS350 vs 3-series. Lexus tried to pull a Nissan by one upping BMW with more power with slightly less finesse in the handling department. Bmw in turn adds a turbo to their car eliminating any advantage Lexus had other than build quality...
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,663 Likes on 13,899 Posts
Post Top Gear's Clarkson says IS has charisma of a golf buggy...

Oof...ouch.

==================

What a perfect way to make the girls go 'Eugh'
By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times

Quite often, pink magazines full of advertisements for garden furniture and Jilly Cooper curtains call my wife to see if she’d like to become their motoring correspondent. “We’d like you to write about cars from a female point of view,” they always say.
Right. I see. And what exactly is a woman’s point of view when it comes to cars. The colour? Whether you break your nails on the door handles? How much space there is in the boot for babies? Puh-lease. My wife’s argument on this point is sound. Women who are interested in cars are excited by exactly the same things that excite men. Power. Looks. Handling. And women who aren’t interested in cars won’t read about them, no matter what shaped genitals the author has.

So she sends off 1,000 words about a Caterham Cosworth, saying that it ripped her eyeballs out, set her hair on fire and left her with the same sort of ruddy glow she gets from a really good Terminator movie. This, as a general rule, is placed fairly quickly on the editor’s spike.

If we look back over the years, my wife, a mother of three, has run a Caterham that she misses dearly, a Lotus Elise 111S that she sent back for sports exhausts because it wasn’t loud enough, a BMW Z1 and a motorbike of some kind. Currently she appears to have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Ask her about space in the back for kids or whether these things have convenient handles on which she can hang a handbag and she’ll shove a hot conrod up your jacksie. She’s not bothered. And it’s an especially good idea to steer clear of fuel consumption, because if you bring this up she’ll siphon a gallon from the tank and use it to burn you alive.

This is why I always give sexism a wide berth when writing about cars. Any suggestion that one model is better suited to men, or women, and I have to spend the rest of the day disentangling myself from the ironing board. Or begging to be let out of the Aga.

This is no great hardship because of all the “ists” you can call me, “sex-ist” isn’t one of them. I don’t run for the exits when a pilot comes on the PA system to say her name’s Sandra, and when a lady doctor is examining my arthritic hips I’ve never once been tempted to say, “Oh, and while you’re down there . . .”

However, I am bringing some stereotypes to the table this morning because I have a question about the Lexus IS 250 SE. Have you ever seen one being driven by a woman? In fact have you ever seen any Lexus being driven by a woman? Apart from that girl in Terminator 3 who nicked a 430 convertible — and she was technically a robot — I haven’t. I’ve seen girls in Evo 8s and Ferraris and Astons. Once I even saw a girl in a Lamborghini LM002, which caused a faint but distinct stirring. But never in a Lexulator.

I’m sure that Toyota’s marketing department will be reaching for the e-mail button right now to send me figures that show x per cent of Lexees are bought by women, but I bet that if these “female” customers were examined more carefully, every single one would have an Adam’s apple.

It’s hard at first to see what makes the Lexus brand as uniquely male as a Leatherman or a hunter-killer submarine. The IS a pretty car and we know from every single survey ever undertaken that no other vehicle on the planet is quite so well made.

Of course there are some things wrong with it. Space in the back is limited, the seats aren’t overly supportive, the steering is way too sharp and the door mirrors are the size of barn doors. But since when did a woman ever complain about a mirror being too large? Perhaps, then, it’s the rev counter that glows orange as you approach the red line. “Noooooo” wailed my wife after she came back from the school run. “I loved that. I made it orange the whole way home.”

What then? What feature does this car have that makes it so unappealing for women? My wife couldn’t help. “I just don’t like it,” she said.

I did. Oh sure, it’s not the fastest car in the world. In fact it has about as much power as my second serve. But this is not such a bad thing because of that super-sharp steering.

If by some miracle you’re going too fast when you turn the wheel, you had better be awake, because everything can get awfully skittish, awfully quickly.

Also, the touch screen sat nav system was preposterously complicated. But you can solve this, if you’re a woman, by reading the instruction book.

Me? I was too busy revelling in the quietness of the engine, the complete absence of wind roar, even around the six-acre door mirrors, and the well-chosen ride.

It’s never too harsh that it shatters your bones on every speed bump and it’s never so soft that it flops into the hedgerow on every bend. I also loved the sense that every button and every switch will outlive the sun.

Then there’s the stereo, which has (a lot) more power than the engine, and the price. Take into account the list of standard goodies and this car costs not hundreds but thousands of pounds less than a BMW 3-series. It’s better looking than a 3-series too. In fact it’s better looking than a Mercedes C-class, an Audi A4 and a Jaguar X-type. Obviously, in this sector of the market, I’d take the Alfa Romeo 159 because that has a soul that the Lexus is missing. But if you don’t want to be plagued with breakdowns, the IS 250 does appear to be a good bet.

And that brings me back to the original question. Why do you never see one being driven by a woman? To find an answer we need to get logical. Nobody who’s interested in cars, whether they’re a man or a woman, will buy a Lexus. They’re just not zingy enough.

So they are only for people who are not interested in cars, people who simply want four reliable wheels and a seat. And this is where things split. Men are happy to go down the Lexus route whereas women are not.

To see if I could find out why, I did something unusual. I picked up the phone and rang a few girls who don’t know one end of a dipstick from their left cheque book. And all, curiously, said pretty much the same thing. “A Lexus? Eugh.” “They’re perfectly revolting.” “They’re for people who play golf.” And best of all: “They’re all driven by the sort of person I wouldn’t want to know.”

There’s an inescapable conclusion here. Buy a Lexus and you are demonstrating two things. First that you are a man, and second that you are not interested in a car’s power or handling. This, it seems, is not something women find attractive.

Think about this, before you say no to that Alfa.

Rating: 3/5
Verdict: A reliable car with all the charisma of a golf buggy
Old 05-01-2006, 11:12 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Oof...ouch.

==================

What a perfect way to make the girls go 'Eugh'
By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times

Quite often, pink magazines full of advertisements for garden furniture and Jilly Cooper curtains call my wife to see if she’d like to become their motoring correspondent. “We’d like you to write about cars from a female point of view,” they always say.
Right. I see. And what exactly is a woman’s point of view when it comes to cars. The colour? Whether you break your nails on the door handles? How much space there is in the boot for babies? Puh-lease. My wife’s argument on this point is sound. Women who are interested in cars are excited by exactly the same things that excite men. Power. Looks. Handling. And women who aren’t interested in cars won’t read about them, no matter what shaped genitals the author has.

So she sends off 1,000 words about a Caterham Cosworth, saying that it ripped her eyeballs out, set her hair on fire and left her with the same sort of ruddy glow she gets from a really good Terminator movie. This, as a general rule, is placed fairly quickly on the editor’s spike.

If we look back over the years, my wife, a mother of three, has run a Caterham that she misses dearly, a Lotus Elise 111S that she sent back for sports exhausts because it wasn’t loud enough, a BMW Z1 and a motorbike of some kind. Currently she appears to have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Ask her about space in the back for kids or whether these things have convenient handles on which she can hang a handbag and she’ll shove a hot conrod up your jacksie. She’s not bothered. And it’s an especially good idea to steer clear of fuel consumption, because if you bring this up she’ll siphon a gallon from the tank and use it to burn you alive.

This is why I always give sexism a wide berth when writing about cars. Any suggestion that one model is better suited to men, or women, and I have to spend the rest of the day disentangling myself from the ironing board. Or begging to be let out of the Aga.

This is no great hardship because of all the “ists” you can call me, “sex-ist” isn’t one of them. I don’t run for the exits when a pilot comes on the PA system to say her name’s Sandra, and when a lady doctor is examining my arthritic hips I’ve never once been tempted to say, “Oh, and while you’re down there . . .”

However, I am bringing some stereotypes to the table this morning because I have a question about the Lexus IS 250 SE. Have you ever seen one being driven by a woman? In fact have you ever seen any Lexus being driven by a woman? Apart from that girl in Terminator 3 who nicked a 430 convertible — and she was technically a robot — I haven’t. I’ve seen girls in Evo 8s and Ferraris and Astons. Once I even saw a girl in a Lamborghini LM002, which caused a faint but distinct stirring. But never in a Lexulator.

I’m sure that Toyota’s marketing department will be reaching for the e-mail button right now to send me figures that show x per cent of Lexees are bought by women, but I bet that if these “female” customers were examined more carefully, every single one would have an Adam’s apple.

It’s hard at first to see what makes the Lexus brand as uniquely male as a Leatherman or a hunter-killer submarine. The IS a pretty car and we know from every single survey ever undertaken that no other vehicle on the planet is quite so well made.

Of course there are some things wrong with it. Space in the back is limited, the seats aren’t overly supportive, the steering is way too sharp and the door mirrors are the size of barn doors. But since when did a woman ever complain about a mirror being too large? Perhaps, then, it’s the rev counter that glows orange as you approach the red line. “Noooooo” wailed my wife after she came back from the school run. “I loved that. I made it orange the whole way home.”

What then? What feature does this car have that makes it so unappealing for women? My wife couldn’t help. “I just don’t like it,” she said.

I did. Oh sure, it’s not the fastest car in the world. In fact it has about as much power as my second serve. But this is not such a bad thing because of that super-sharp steering.

If by some miracle you’re going too fast when you turn the wheel, you had better be awake, because everything can get awfully skittish, awfully quickly.

Also, the touch screen sat nav system was preposterously complicated. But you can solve this, if you’re a woman, by reading the instruction book.

Me? I was too busy revelling in the quietness of the engine, the complete absence of wind roar, even around the six-acre door mirrors, and the well-chosen ride.

It’s never too harsh that it shatters your bones on every speed bump and it’s never so soft that it flops into the hedgerow on every bend. I also loved the sense that every button and every switch will outlive the sun.

Then there’s the stereo, which has (a lot) more power than the engine, and the price. Take into account the list of standard goodies and this car costs not hundreds but thousands of pounds less than a BMW 3-series. It’s better looking than a 3-series too. In fact it’s better looking than a Mercedes C-class, an Audi A4 and a Jaguar X-type. Obviously, in this sector of the market, I’d take the Alfa Romeo 159 because that has a soul that the Lexus is missing. But if you don’t want to be plagued with breakdowns, the IS 250 does appear to be a good bet.

And that brings me back to the original question. Why do you never see one being driven by a woman? To find an answer we need to get logical. Nobody who’s interested in cars, whether they’re a man or a woman, will buy a Lexus. They’re just not zingy enough.

So they are only for people who are not interested in cars, people who simply want four reliable wheels and a seat. And this is where things split. Men are happy to go down the Lexus route whereas women are not.

To see if I could find out why, I did something unusual. I picked up the phone and rang a few girls who don’t know one end of a dipstick from their left cheque book. And all, curiously, said pretty much the same thing. “A Lexus? Eugh.” “They’re perfectly revolting.” “They’re for people who play golf.” And best of all: “They’re all driven by the sort of person I wouldn’t want to know.”

There’s an inescapable conclusion here. Buy a Lexus and you are demonstrating two things. First that you are a man, and second that you are not interested in a car’s power or handling. This, it seems, is not something women find attractive.

Think about this, before you say no to that Alfa.

Rating: 3/5
Verdict: A reliable car with all the charisma of a golf buggy

Strange... most Lexus cars I see are driven by females. Other then that, it's the same critism Lexus has always had, nice reliable car, but lacks "soul" and isn't much of a drivers car.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Damn i love that guy
Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
04 remembrance

Good stuff!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask her about space in the back for kids or whether these things have convenient handles on which she can hang a handbag and she’ll shove a hot conrod up your jacksie.
:gheylaugh: I can't read Clarkson's columns without picturing him narrating them in his proper, pompous, and slightly overbearing British accent. :theghey:
Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Pro

lol
Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Anyone post this over at CL?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Oh well it's

Lmao
Old 05-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

If anything I see more women driving Lexuses. Things must be different over in the UK.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 AM
hail to the victors

tons of men drives a ford ka in london.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by article
I'm sure our friend 1sicklex would flip his wig if he read that. I'll bet there will be a boycott of Clarkson over these comments...
Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
misanthropist

i only see asians and young white guys driving is' around here

the only women i see driving lexus' are old and in an es (to the es portion, not the old portion)

Last edited by 03typeS6spd; 05-02-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Pro

keep in mind all they get over there is the IS250 plus you all know how biased clarkson can be.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

hehehe, lmao @ Clarkson. I needed some entertainment today...
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

lol...i'm surprised he didn't complain about all the plastics
Old 05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Race Director

He is pretty funny.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,989 Likes on 5,142 Posts
...a faint but distinct stirring
Old 05-02-2006, 07:11 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 05-02-2006, 07:11 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 05-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@ lexulator
Old 05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Anyone post this over at CL?
Yeah, if you're looking for the banhammer handed by the mighty you-know-who over there.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214181

Actually not a bad thread, remained reasonably civil.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JackieO
http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214181

Actually not a bad thread, remained reasonably civil.
Yeah, but you know who's still on the war path. Even when he's trying to be rational, the biasness comes out. I started to reply to a bunch of stuff, but I'm to tired right now to put forth the effort.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya, but he didn't test a IS350 /w the sport option... so nothing really too shocking here a 2.5 l engine in a larger size 4 door /wo the sport suspension.

This is like comparing a 325 to a M3.

Jeremy is smart enough to realize he can manipulate most of the readers since they won't put his article in proper perspective.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We haven't seen or heard much about it lately, but it appears as though the V8-powered Lexus IS 500 is still an ongoing project. This prototype spotted on the Nurburgring is clearly no ordinary IS 350 given its deep front air dam, extra large trunk lid spoiler and quad exhaust pipes. On top of that, we just heard a rumor that the new LS 460 will be the first Lexus with a fully defeatable electronic stability control system. We can only hope this high-powered IS will be the next nannyless Lexus headed our way.

source : edmunds
Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Pinky all stinky

Yikes, that thing is going to be super-duper fast.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:30 AM
To punish and enslave

So which cars is the super IS suppose to go up against?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 AM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
M3 Sedan? If true, they'll probably hit the market around the same time.

GO HP WARS
Old 07-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
Audi S4, MB C55 AMG, BMW M3

I hope they have figured out how to give the steering more feedback though. The IS steering feel is pretty compared to its competitors.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Race Director

As I mentioned a while back look for the IS to match everything the 3 series announces (except maybe the station wagons).

With the recent engine updates from BMW, the IS300 (using the handme down engine from the discontinued GS300) can't be far off.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Drifting

where is the coupe!?!?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by SSMTL01
where is the coupe!?!?
Just have to wait a bit - it's coming.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Pinky all stinky

Can you imagine an IS coupe...might as well just rid of the backseat altogether.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by phile
Can you imagine an IS coupe...might as well just rid of the backseat altogether.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
The backseat in an IS coupe ... it's probably to keep insurance rates down ... or the remote possibility that you might have more than just 1 passenger to get around town. I agree -- the backseat for the current 4-door version is pretty much non-existent.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Pro

too bad it wont have a manual.

Quick Reply: Lexus: IS News